Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
But I loved playing BLADE. I specifically liked that it wasn't just another TCG minigame, and was a fun little timewaster of a card game.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

im going to aggressively collect every single rare card and never play the actual card game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But I loved playing BLADE. I specifically liked that it wasn't just another TCG minigame, and was a fun little timewaster of a card game.

:negative:

overruled because this is the most acknowledgment vantage master has gotten since *checks gamefaqs* that vantage master psp game that inexplicably had a bunch of tits characters in it

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Chaotic Flame posted:

I will never understand why they didn't get the same singer for Wild Arms 4.

I wouldn't know for sure, but I imagine that Sony/Square handling the localization/translation for 3 while XSeed did the localization for 4 had a hand in it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

al-azad posted:

I’m reminded of Tales of Destiny where the rate for lens would fluctuate based on in-game events and it was frustrating when you sold everything for poo poo only to have the price jump a scene later. Although apparently it changes randomly map to map so I just learned something new.

E: my favorite ToD advice is blowing all your money on items before the midpoint where you lose everything, then selling it all later. Haha, gently caress you Rutee and your orphans.

Reminds me of how in Steambot Chronicles the price of gas jumped way up as the plot progressed and it became more expensive to just go out and explore. Kind of like real life.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

super sweet best pal posted:

Reminds me of how in Steambot Chronicles the price of gas jumped way up as the plot progressed and it became more expensive to just go out and explore. Kind of like real life.

The price of gasoline from the gas station in the opening cutscene of Resident Evil 2's remake was too real for me

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I got into a discussion the other day about your favorite animation in an RPG. Just little things.

Right now I'm kind of stuck on this one from Jimmy:

The only other ones I can think are from Suikoden 2-- mainly the cooking and Nanami.

Any other suggestions?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Wild Arms (especially 2) and the PSX Breath of Fire games had some really good sprite animation. Final Fantasy Tactics, too.

Really, the PSX was a great console for sprite-based games; they had effectively unlimited space to work with (the tiny sprites took up next to no space on a gigantic 700-MB CD-ROM compared to 3D models), the console wasn't as hampered by color palette limitations as earlier consoles, and the 3D tech wasn't quite there yet, so most 3D games looked crude. Too bad Sony was pushing the 3D stuff so goddamn much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i cant find gifs rn but valkyrie profile had some great ones, like misty getting drunk in her recruitment story or everyone getting mad at lezard in the true ending

and in super robot wars z2 when up against a flying enemy daiguard just rips off its hand and chucks it at it to punch it. thats pretty good

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i'm real partial to bof3 ryu just curling up into a little ball to Defend as a kid

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Him as an adult just casually tossing his sword aside and powering up saiyan style when you choose a transformation before his turn comes up is real good, too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Merilan posted:

i'm real partial to bof3 ryu just curling up into a little ball to Defend as a kid
Or his attack animation when he's with Rei and Teepo, where he's literally flailing blindly with a sword. Really sells "this is a kid who hates fighting".

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's 2019 and I'm finding out new and exciting ways in which Working Designs releases are broken

What's this one?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Zereth posted:

What's this one?

The localized version breaks the animation here in a way that it consistently throws an error screen when telling you it has a lack of memory. That's just sloppy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

wow

how did working designs actually get liscences

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it was the 90s, if you could translate japanese on the level of a modern eromanga fan translator you were an extreme rarity and could get any company to sign off on you

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zereth posted:

wow

how did working designs actually get liscences

smaller games that couldn't get any bigger loc companies to pick them up mostly. not like anybody else was translating silhouette mirage or elemental gearbolt

that strategy didn't work so hot by the time vic opened gaijinworks and all he could get was class of heroes and two summon night games

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

GrandmaParty posted:

I got into a discussion the other day about your favorite animation in an RPG. Just little things.

Right now I'm kind of stuck on this one from Jimmy:

The only other ones I can think are from Suikoden 2-- mainly the cooking and Nanami.

Any other suggestions?

Breath of Fire 3 has a lot of good animations. Rei trying to throw the grappling hook and a bunch of animations in that scene are unique to that scene and no others. There's a lot of unique animations in the game in general.

Commander Keene posted:

Or his attack animation when he's with Rei and Teepo, where he's literally flailing blindly with a sword. Really sells "this is a kid who hates fighting".

It came across more as "kid barely knows which end of the sword to use" than anything else, imo. Then he gets confident after that and you later end up with a confident adult Ryu. His charge animation for dragon form is real good too with how he casually tosses his sword aside as he charges up to go super saiyan kaiser.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The real reason Dragon Quest VII took so long is because someone had to hand animate this motherfucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtqvZK-43W4&t=229s

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I would love to see more appreciation for 32-bit era jrpgs. I'm glad GungHo is getting all of this negative backslash for screwing up Grandia's looks.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Breath of Fire IV is my favorite sprite based RPG goddamn it looks so good.

I watched Iga's commentary on Castlevania SOTN and the way he praised the animators made me kinda sad because theres not a lot of demand for that kind of sprite based wizardry anymore.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WaltherFeng posted:

Breath of Fire IV is my favorite sprite based RPG goddamn it looks so good.

I watched Iga's commentary on Castlevania SOTN and the way he praised the animators made me kinda sad because theres not a lot of demand for that kind of sprite based wizardry anymore.

Because it's time consuming and expensive.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I prefer BOFIII when it comes to sprite art. But both are insanely good.
It's slighty NSFW but look up the final boss of BOFIII using an attack called Holocaust.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpoP45YEkng

poo poo's terrifying!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My favourite aesthetic has always been 2d sprites on 3d terrain, a la BOF IV or Final Fantasy Tactics. Tactics in particular has a lot of little sprite animations used in cutscenes like crouching down or idly chucking a rock or something that I really appreciated back in the day.

poo poo I've really got to get and finish FFT one of these days.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Iga probably approached Wayforward out of appreciation for their style. If I needed some 2D wizardry to punch up my dull 3D graphics they're the studio I'd shoot for.

Ka0 posted:

I would love to see more appreciation for 32-bit era jrpgs. I'm glad GungHo is getting all of this negative backslash for screwing up Grandia's looks.

Give me a million dollars and I'll track down whoever owns Linda Cube. For a million more I'll even get you London Seirei Tanteiden.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I wonder what brain dead moron approved those Final Fantasy V and VI monstrosities on mobile and steam.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Morpheus posted:

My favourite aesthetic has always been 2d sprites on 3d terrain, a la BOF IV or Final Fantasy Tactics. Tactics in particular has a lot of little sprite animations used in cutscenes like crouching down or idly chucking a rock or something that I really appreciated back in the day.

poo poo I've really got to get and finish FFT one of these days.

Way ahead of you Im on my second playthrough

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Mulderman posted:

I wonder what brain dead moron approved those Final Fantasy V and VI monstrosities on mobile and steam.

It's our fault if we keep buying those games. There are about 6 active FF threads on this forum alone.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mulderman posted:

I'm sad only Chrono Trigger generated enough outrage to get some kind of fix.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just realised there was a Breath of Fire Advance aka BOFA

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I just realised there was a Breath of Fire Advance aka BOFA

also ported to the Philips Ligma

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Looking at FFT, BoFIV/III would make such a perfect mobile port.

I wanna fish all day long

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Mulderman posted:

Was there any work put into making new stuff for those or was it just a smoothing filter taken to the extreme?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hwurmp posted:

also ported to the Philips Ligma

What's Phillips?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

PHILLIPS BALLS :xd: :owned:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
close the thread

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mulderman posted:

Fun fact, actually, it's a super depressing fact, from this interview:

Kitase, on Kotaku posted:

When Yoshinori Kitase talks about the future of Final Fantasy, you probably want to listen. The veteran producer, widely considered the successor to former Square Enix honcho Hironobu Sakaguchi, is one of the shepherds of the iconic role-playing game series. And he’s looking to take some lessons from the world of mobile gaming—namely, player feedback.
With that notion of user feedback in mind, I brought up the iOS and Steam versions of Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI, which are, to put it delicately, not pretty. Although Japanese players seem fine with the games’ new art, North American fans have complained that there is no feasible way to play the better SNES or GBA versions of FFV and FFVI on today’s consoles. I asked if Kitase would consider putting the original versions of both games on modern platforms, and he appeared surprised at the request.

“I am actually curious to know — I believe the port version, the one you can get right now, does use the more brushed up artwork that’s a little bit more refined,” Kitase said. “Do fans want to see the older version that’s not as refined? Is that the sentiment?”

“Yes,” I said, explaining that North American gamers have not reacted positively to the iOS and Steam versions of Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI.

“Understood,” Kitase said. “I’ll keep that in mind.”
I have no idea if the Japanese public as a whole likes the new versions better, or if the target audience is like, younger people who would not buy the old clunky-looking pixelated versions for whatever reason and it's worth the tradeoff from people like me, but goddamn.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

zoomers sick and tired of pixel art, get owned millennials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

saga remasters get nice new art while they run final fantasy games through a filter and call it good :lol: