Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Condiv posted:

Isn’t it odd skex that no-one’s blasting Castro for speaking Spanish? I’d guess that’s because Castro actually knows the language worth a drat and wasn’t using some memorized lines in Spanish to pander

Well this is awkward...

quote:

some pundits asked, “ ‘Why would you select Julián Castro? He doesn’t fluently speak Spanish.’ As though that’s the only thing that’s going to matter to folks, specifically to the Hispanic community. It’s just a very one-dimensional, uninformed view of what moves a community."

Beto, on the other hand...

Obviously, dodging a question in multiple languages is irrdeemable pandering horseshit. But we should be careful our assumptions of authenticity, fluency, and the relationship between the two :)

(Also Beto was never running against Cornyn for the same reason he's not succeeding in the primaries: if he's not dumping a latinx incumbent, his heart just isn't in it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Solkanar512 posted:

How in the gently caress do you expect literally everyone to be fluent in multiple languages when at best such education shows up for maybe an hour/day for a year or two in high school?

I’d expect that when reciting some canned response that had nothing to do with the question that’d he’d do a better job of reciting what he practiced

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I do not speak Spanish but I was under the impression Beto does really speak Spanish and has campaigned in Spanish in the past for El Paso related poo poo. Maybe not?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Condiv posted:

A bunch of latinx and spanish speakers in the thread have already stated as much skex

To be fair, someone also posted their Spanish speaking mother was floored to see him speak Spanish during the debate, so as with any group different people react differently.

Delthalaz posted:

I do not speak Spanish but I was under the impression Beto does really speak Spanish and has campaigned in Spanish in the past for El Paso related poo poo. Maybe not?

He does, but Gabbard speaks native English and she was stitled as hell. Even though he speaks Spanish he can still be awkward.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

Obviously, dodging a question in multiple languages is irrdeemable pandering horseshit. But we should be careful our assumptions of authenticity, fluency, and the relationship between the two :)

(Also Beto was never running against Cornyn for the same reason he's not succeeding in the primaries: if he's not dumping a latinx incumbent, his heart just isn't in it)

i thought beto's spoken enough spanish in public that there's not really any doubt that he nominally can do it. he's mixing up genders because he's not very good at it, not because he's memorized everything

he just speaks at "competent for a tourist" levels of fluency but thinks he's amazing at it and panders in a very transparent way

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Paracaidas posted:

Well this is awkward...

Beto, on the other hand...

Do you really think that’s good evidence for what you’re arguing?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I appreciated Beto's attempt to speak Spanish because basically everyone at the viewing event I attended busted out laughing when he started in with his awful pandering, and we could all use some levity in these difficult times. That his pronunciation was awful was icing on the cake.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Solkanar512 posted:

How in the gently caress do you expect literally everyone to be fluent in multiple languages when at best such education shows up for maybe an hour/day for a year or two in high school?

Because as much as the "leftists" here complain about the team aspect of politics, those complaints are just as performative as Beto's use of Spanish in the debate last night. Witness all of the "Warren is wishywashy on MFA because she's open to less comprehensive options if it isn't possible at the moment" despite her hand rocketing up in response not to a question about support for MFA but for supporting the elimination of private insurance. The "Left" itt don't argue in any more good faith than the Right does.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I appreciated Beto's attempt to speak Spanish because basically everyone at the viewing event I attended busted out laughing when he started in with his awful pandering, and we could all use some levity in these difficult times. That his pronunciation was awful was icing on the cake.

if you liked that, you'll love mayor butt tonight

the only question is how many different languages does he conspicuously drop

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

eke out posted:

if you liked that, you'll love mayor butt tonight

Can't wait for him to answer a question about police violence by introducing himself in Norwegian.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Skex posted:

Then I leave it to Spanish speakers to decide how they feel about it rather than trying to project my own animus on the matter, I don't like him because he completely dodged the question (among other things) and that's enough for me not to vote for him, besides it's been clear for months that he's not getting the nod so it really doesn't matter.

OK dude. Your fervent fandom and deeply felt desire for Beto The Trash Centrist That Couldn't Even Beat Ted Cruz to somehow do the impossible and beat actually qualified folks for the nomination is duly noted. I think it's ridiculous and absurd but hey, you do you.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Condiv posted:

Do you really think that’s good evidence for what you’re arguing?
What, exactly, do you think I'm "arguing" in that post?

eke out posted:

he just speaks at "competent for a tourist" levels of fluency but thinks he's amazing at it and panders in a very transparent way
:agreed:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Willie Tomg posted:

nine washington generals face off against warren who is the only motherfucker who can follow the "one word response" rule with a hyphenate.

Somebody draw this please. Maybe include Beto faceplanting in the distance and Tulsi putting Ryan in a headlock.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Paracaidas posted:

What, exactly, do you think I'm "arguing" in that post?

:agreed:

Well it appears to be an attempt to say Castro’s Spanish was near beto’s or something, but you posted an article about Beto wanting to debate people in Spanish, which doesn’t really say anything about his ability to speak Spanish (rather it says a lot about his perception of his Spanish speaking skills)

So you tell me what you were trying to argue

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
yes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Main Paineframe posted:

He just answered that one. He says it's because the Senate is full of debaters and dreamers, while the presidency is much more suited to a doer who knows how to get things done, like him.

So in other words, because his ego's too big.

In mild defense of a candidate I dislike, there is something to be said about the difference between being in a legislature, which is mainly an advocacy and coalition-building position, and an executive position, which is about running an organization and knowing how to manage down and across to get your priorities enacted. It’s two different skill sets, and I imagine there are many who are good at one and not the other.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Condiv posted:

I’d expect that when reciting some canned response that had nothing to do with the question that’d he’d do a better job of reciting what he practiced

Yeah, totally agreed, but Reid said that being fluent in multiple languages was something "that literally everyone should be able to do". That's an incredibly unreasonable expectation.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Predictions for tonight:

Candidates who will do the best: Harris, Buttigieg, Bernie.

Candidate whose stock will go up the most: Harris (Bernie’s stock is already pretty high. I’d be surprised if it goes higher)

Candidate whose stock will drop: Biden

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

theblackw0lf posted:

Predictions for tonight:

Candidates who will do the best: Harris, Buttigieg, Bernie.

Candidate whose stock will go up the most: Harris (Bernie’s stock is already pretty high. I’d be surprised if it goes higher)

Candidate whose stock will drop: Biden

What makes you just assume Buttchug will do well, if I may ask? That's not a given. I think there's a better chance people come out of tonight going "wait, why is a literal real life Patrick Bateman running?"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Condiv posted:

Well it appears to be an attempt to say Castro’s Spanish was near beto’s or something, but you posted an article about Beto wanting to debate people in Spanish, which doesn’t really say anything about his ability to speak Spanish (rather it says a lot about his perception of his Spanish speaking skills)

So you tell me what you were trying to argue
Literally the opposite?

Second article wasn't even that long:

quote:

Regardless of what the campaigns ultimately agree to, debates in Spanish between the candidates seem unlikely. While O'Rourke is fluent in the language, Cruz is not known as a proficient speaker. 

There have been assumptions in this thread, from extremely plugged in people including yourself, that Castro was the expert and Beto was memorizing lines. It's the opposite, and the underlying assumptions happen to fall along a relevant fault line to the conversation with the discussion of pandering, authenticity, etc.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1144251788876324869

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

That's not anywhere near close to what she said.:nallears: (like, even with humorous hyperbole aside)

Paracaidas posted:

There have been assumptions in this thread, from extremely plugged in people including yourself, that Castro was the expert and Beto was memorizing lines. It's the opposite, and the underlying assumptions happen to fall along a relevant fault line to the conversation with the discussion of pandering, authenticity, etc.

It's not the opposite. Beto obviously isn't fluent, unless he was so incredibly anxious on stage that he forgot basic rules of the language. That article clearly bought his campaign's bullshit about him being fluent.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

VH4Ever posted:

What makes you just assume Buttchug will do well, if I may ask? That's not a given. I think there's a better chance people come out of tonight going "wait, why is a literal real life Patrick Bateman running?"

When I say “do well” I mean with viewers. I think Mayor Pete has qualities that resonate with voters that will come across in the debates. And the pundit class.

Now I wish it wasn’t the case, but I expect him to try high marks.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Skex posted:

No I'm not trolling, I'm trying to point out that piling on a lovely candidate for reaching out to marginalized groups in their own language is a bad look for a group that is supposed to be about solidarity and a stupid and frankly unleftist move, Dog him out because he dodged the question not because he dodged it in Spanish ffs. How is this so loving hard to understand?

On the one hand... I'm fine with people trying to reach out to a deeply hosed over community. On the other hand... I don't think anyone here believes that Beto is particularly honest about any of this.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Americans are pretty loving stupid so maybe Butts constant non answer word salad fascism will resonate with the boomers watching

B B
Dec 1, 2005

VH4Ever posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Biden dump on Buttigieg over the police brutality stuff in order to try to regain some credibility after the segregationist comments. I think Pete is going to have a night similar to Beto's.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mayor pete is an emptier suit than beto and his polling is mind blowing.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I’m actually worried NBC will give Biden the Trump Treatment and toss him a bunch of softballs.

Of course being Biden he will still gently caress it up but there are a lot of old white Dems who pine for 1995. I hope Bernie and Harris can get a few jabs in.

Yang will answer every question with (...and you get a thousand bucks!)

I honestly don’t even know who else is in this debate and don’t care to look.

*edit*

Oh yea the butt is in this debate i forgot about him.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 27, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Punk da Bundo posted:

Americans are pretty loving stupid so maybe Butts constant non answer word salad fascism will resonate with the boomers watching

It may, but it won't resonate more than Biden's, and Pete has to win black votes if he wants to stay afloat. And that's probably not going to happen at this point.

I'm guessing he WILL come out swinging against Biden's horrible record w/r/t PoCs though.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

It may, but it won't resonate more than Biden's, and Pete has to win black votes if he wants to stay afloat. And that's probably not going to happen at this point.

I'm guessing he WILL come out swinging against Biden's horrible record w/r/t PoCs though.

if Pete attacks Biden over that , it will probably backfire tremendously

Pete “I’m not asking for your vote “

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

B B posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Biden dump on Buttigieg over the police brutality stuff in order to try to regain some credibility after the segregationist comments. I think Pete is going to have a night similar to Beto's.

Pete is way more of a talented speaker and quicker on his feet than Beto.

But hey hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Paracaidas posted:

Literally the opposite?

Second article wasn't even that long:

as i already pointed out to you paracaidas, your articles don't actually establish the relative skill of the two. that's why i asked you if you thought you were making a good argument. a sentence in an article saying beto is fluent in spanish doesn't say a lot because a lot of people tend to over-estimate their ability to speak a language and unless the article author demanded a certificate showing c1/c2 level in spanish or vetted beto's spanish themselves, they most likely took beto's word on his proficiency in spanish. likewise, your article saying castro is not fluent doesn't say a ton, because a person can not be fluent in a language and still be able to communicate decently well.

as for the people in the thread making assumptions, I'm basing what I'm saying off the word of actual spanish speakers in thread. from what has been discussed in thread and what has been said, it seems very much that saying beto is fluent in spanish is not true. likewise, i'm taking the lack of negative reaction or criticism of castro's spanish in the debate to mean he's better at it than beto.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Punk da Bundo posted:

if Pete attacks Biden over that , it will probably backfire tremendously

Pete “I’m not asking for your vote “

I actually think it's his only move at this point: bring up Biden's even worse record on race, in an attempt to overshadow his own. I think one of the moderators or candidates will bring up Butt's PoC issues, and he'll try to turn it back around on Biden: "Look at him, he's even worse on it than I am!"

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

I actually think it's his only move at this point: bring up Biden's even worse record on race, in an attempt to overshadow his own. I think one of the moderators or candidates will bring up Butt's PoC issues, and he'll try to turn it back around on Biden: "Look at him, he's even worse on it than I am!"

Let them fight while Bernie gains power and Marianne is channeling a spirit bomb

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://mobile.twitter.com/marykbruce/status/1144289212709183489

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

he really can't help but force unrequested physical contact onto people

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ahahahahaaaaa, oh Joe, never stop being you.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

mayor pete is an emptier suit than beto and his polling is mind blowing.

his campaign chair is a former clinton staff psycho who's main skill is getting earned media spots

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

MODERATOR: "Vice-president Biden, some say that your requests for cory booker to apologize to you are tone deaf"

BIDEN: *enters into the moderator section of the stage and hugs her* your hair smells really nice *sniffs*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

i feel like that didnt happen