Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Tears In A Vial posted:

Can't stop thinking about how bad Ira's blue beard is

TV IV > Star Trek: Can't Stop Thinking About Ira's Blue Beard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Star Trek: i;m thinking about thos beards

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Orv posted:

Having watched the TNG Casual Irish Racism + Clone Kidnapping episode yesterday morning I'm basically convinced, mostly because every Federation colony we see in TNG is about two seconds from A. imploding B. exploding or C. civil war, that colonization in the Federation is exactly that.

again, I'm pretty sure both those colonies were established pre-Federation

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Majel Barrett, Nichelle Nichols, and Grace Lee Whitney over there are so cute :3:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

again, I'm pretty sure both those colonies were established pre-Federation

I mean I don't think that precludes it still being the case, simply not being policy. Certainly the first people to die on Mars will be some rich idiots with the money to get there but not the brains to survive.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Maybe the Kurtzman is out rumours were right??

quote:

Pulitzer Prize-winning author Michael Chabon is taking the captain's chair on CBS All Access' Star Trek: Picard.

Chabon, who's been part of the show's creative team since Picard was announced, has been named showrunner of the upcoming series. He'll continue working with fellow executive producers Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman, the steward of the Trek TV franchise, on day-to-day production.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/michael-chabon-run-star-trek-picard-cbs-all-access-1221431

Announcing a new showrunner during filming of episode 5 of a 10 episode miniseries is a choice!

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 27, 2019

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/michael-chabon-run-star-trek-picard-cbs-all-access-1221431

Announcing a new showrunner during filming of episode 5 of a 10 episode miniseries is a choice!

Impossible. This universe is not that kind.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

What, were Gates and Marina too busy?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I highly doubt it, it’s more likely they’re using Kurtzman to jumpstart these projects and then have him hand it off to someone else as he moves on to the next show. Either way, Chabon should be a huge improvement.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CBS Star Trek shows have more showrunners than Voyager has shuttlecraft.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
The H&I network likes to run a bunch of Stars Trek from the different series, one after the other. Earlier, "A Piece of the Action" was the nightly entry for ST:TOS. It's one of many 3.6 Roentgen episodes of TOS.

That was followed up by ST:TNG's selection, which was... "The Baby." Holy God wow, this episode. I've always known it existed, and for the first for seasons of ST:TNG, I watched every episode and recorded them on VHS. We had the wild feed on C-band, so we always saw the episode that broadcast viewers would have to a week to see, and all of the commercials that weren't for other syndicated Paramount shows were replaced with black screens. We also paused during these times to remove the gaps. (My dad was convinced these tapes would be worth money some day, and we played along for four seasons.) So yeah, I'm sure I saw this episode, and like I said, I hear people talk about it and know it exists... but I had no memory of seeing the actual episode.

I guess the question isn't, "How did this series have an episode anything like this?", but instead, "How does every Trek episode not have an episode exactly like this?"

Why didn't Jadzea Dax get knocked up from a glowing orb? Why not Captain Janeway? How about T'Pol? Or... I don't know, I haven't seen Discovery because gently caress CBS's bullshit, but I'm sure there's a bunch of women on there. Go nuts! Make 'em all spacepregnant! And then in all of them, just have the pregnancies advance really fast, they all have baby boys that grow and learn really fast, they all emit radiation that almost causes a disaster involving deadly biological agents, and then they all decide to die to end the danger. Hell, they could have used some of that magic they used in that one DS9 episode to give Uhura the "The Baby" treatment.

The Baby. Every Trek should have one.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Enterprise had the episode where Trip got pregnant and everyone laughed at him.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

tarlibone posted:

The H&I network likes to run a bunch of Stars Trek from the different series, one after the other. Earlier, "A Piece of the Action" was the nightly entry for ST:TOS. It's one of many 3.6 Roentgen episodes of TOS.

That was followed up by ST:TNG's selection, which was... "The Baby." Holy God wow, this episode. I've always known it existed, and for the first for seasons of ST:TNG, I watched every episode and recorded them on VHS. We had the wild feed on C-band, so we always saw the episode that broadcast viewers would have to a week to see, and all of the commercials that weren't for other syndicated Paramount shows were replaced with black screens. We also paused during these times to remove the gaps. (My dad was convinced these tapes would be worth money some day, and we played along for four seasons.) So yeah, I'm sure I saw this episode, and like I said, I hear people talk about it and know it exists... but I had no memory of seeing the actual episode.

I guess the question isn't, "How did this series have an episode anything like this?", but instead, "How does every Trek episode not have an episode exactly like this?"

Why didn't Jadzea Dax get knocked up from a glowing orb? Why not Captain Janeway? How about T'Pol? Or... I don't know, I haven't seen Discovery because gently caress CBS's bullshit, but I'm sure there's a bunch of women on there. Go nuts! Make 'em all spacepregnant! And then in all of them, just have the pregnancies advance really fast, they all have baby boys that grow and learn really fast, they all emit radiation that almost causes a disaster involving deadly biological agents, and then they all decide to die to end the danger. Hell, they could have used some of that magic they used in that one DS9 episode to give Uhura the "The Baby" treatment.

The Baby. Every Trek should have one.

Or they could do something...Unexpected :smug:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

tarlibone posted:

Hell, they could have used some of that magic they used in that one DS9 episode to give Uhura the "The Baby" treatment.

Well, in a way they did, because that script was originally written for Uhura as part of the cancelled "Phase II" series in the 70's.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Pretty sure it was Illa in the Phase 2 script.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

tarlibone posted:

Screw you man, Piece of the Action is a great comedy episode of Trek.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also you hosed up, Tarlibone, it's not "The Baby" it's "The Child."

GAWD!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hand in your combadge and phaser, tarlibone.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

My pers. fav. TNG episode is "The Babby"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Child is a strong contender for worst TNG episode, it's tough to think of a worse one. Is Code of Honour worse?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yes, along with Sub Rosa

all three are uniquely bad and the worst of TNG through Voyager Trek, though

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

The Child is a strong contender for worst TNG episode, it's tough to think of a worse one. Is Code of Honour worse?

Sub Rosa
Aquiel
Masks
Shades of Gray
Cost of Living

Granted, worse is a bit subjective here as they're all garbage but it really does get worse than the child imo

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Masks is good, though.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Masks is good, though.

:hai:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

Yes, along with Sub Rosa

all three are uniquely bad and the worst of TNG through Voyager Trek, though

Can any show that ends with "Uh oh, my undead grandma has force lightning!" be that bad?

Yes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

In my book there is no worse TNG episode than Code of Honor.

I just rewatched Aquiel and, while it's bad, it's nowhere near as bad as Code of Honor.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I could never really watch masks without just checking out mentally, but maybe my taste in Trek is just weird because I liked A Fistful of Datas :v:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I wonder if the future LaForge from VOY "Timeless" is still as loving nerdsperg as he was in TNG when it comes to dating.

"Captain, you're needed on the bridge."
"Just a sec, I'm... consulting with Dr. Brahms on ways to improve the Challenger's third warp nacelle field geometry here in Holodeck 3. Yeah, let's go with that."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Drone posted:

I wonder if the future LaForge from VOY "Timeless" is still as loving nerdsperg as he was in TNG when it comes to dating.

Ew. Bad.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

"Captain, you're needed on the bridge."
"Just a sec, I'm... consulting with Dr. Brahms on ways to improve the Challenger's third warp nacelle field geometry here in Holodeck 3. Yeah, let's go with that."

"All Good Things"-future LaForge has to be the smoothest operator in the Galaxy because he manages to marry Leah Brahms.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Geordi actually married the holodeck version of Leah Brahms and everyone just goes along with it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sub Rosa is terrible but it’s highly entertaining. The grave robbing scene alone means it can never be the worst episode.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

would you like to come to my quarters and try my fungilli?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You can criticize that episode without using slurs against people with autism, you know

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

marktheando posted:

Sub Rosa is terrible but it’s highly entertaining. The grave robbing scene alone means it can never be the worst episode.

That and Beverly climaxing

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Drone posted:

In my book there is no worse TNG episode than Code of Honor.

I just rewatched Aquiel and, while it's bad, it's nowhere near as bad as Code of Honor.

Code of Honor needs its own unique tier of being racist and not trying to do say anything.

Also, The Game needs to be discussed in this list.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Screw you man, Piece of the Action is a great comedy episode of Trek.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the episode. It's just far from my favorite. It's not terrible; it's just not that great, in my opinion.

And, I just noticed that my disdain for "The Baby" was so intense that the part of my brain that stored it in short-term memory changed the episode's title. Somehow, realizing that the actual name of the episode is "The Child" makes it just a little worse!

marktheando posted:

I don't know about that, but my vote goes to "Shades of Gray." I know that's not exactly a hot take or anything, but at least with "Not The Adult," they grabbed a stupid old script that happened to be in a nearby file cabinet and tried to make lemonade out of the dehydrated piss that was the screenplay. "Shades of Gray" is just a pure waste of time. It doesn't even try to be good or bad, it's just "hey, we need one more episode and I only have $19.72 in my pocket. Wait--is it still the 80s? Lets do a clip show!!"

And I also liked "A Fistful of Datas."

"Sub Rosa" is a little to silly for me to hate. It was nice that Dr. Crusher finally got her grove back, and of course it was an alien radiation ghost that had been with her family ever since before mankind had mastered internal combustion engines. And we got a zombie grandma with glowing eyes and lightning powers! It goes so far that I can't help but be entertained by its badness. Not so with "The Young'n'."

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 28, 2019

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, The Game needs to be discussed in this list.

poo poo I forgot about The Game, bottom 5 episode for sure.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"The Game" can't be bad; it has Robin Lefler, from Engineering! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Up the Long Ladder is both terrible and boring