Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

PoizenJam posted:

I know this is supposed to mock him, but I always have concerns about this type of imagery. Many extreme right wing folk love the hell out of Warhammer 40k and unironically think the emperor of mankind is awesome. I doubt this piece has its intended effect.

Kind of like how lots of neo-nazis love the crap out of American History X for making them look 'badass' in spite of the film's intended message.

It’s amazing to me that anyone thinks Neo-Nazis looked badass in that movie.

Literally multiple times they hammer in that their bullshit recruiting and tactics require weak, vulnerable men and mainly work on literal children.

poo poo even the “badass” Nazi prison gang needed non-white gangs to get anything done.

But I guess it might be related to “no such thing as an anti-war movie” where the LCD just reacts gleefully to violence and misses and subtext. Or even just the regular text where the dialogue lays it out explicitly. People are just lovely.

e: taxes

Doggers are never actually Nazis, no matter how much lovely owners try to beat it into them

RasperFat fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

highme posted:

A few years ago, before Uber/Lyft was available here, I was at the winter beer festival in downtown Portland with a friend, his dumbfuck neighbor and a few of my buddy's clients from Eugene, all white men. We decided that we were going to change venues and headed to a bar just across the river in inner SE Portland, probably a mile or so walk. While people started hemming and hawing over how to get there, I just started walking and they all fell in line. The first few blocks after crossing the river is in an industrial section with a pretty good sized chunk of homeless living in the area. The pearl clutching & asking if everything was safe from all of the dudes was hysterical. Especially my buddy's dumbfuck neighbor who I've gotten into with before when he said he & his wife were going to take tactical shooter classes in case they're ever in a mass shooting situation.

I know exactly what you're talking about because I walked to some donut shop late at night from a hotel on the downtown side of the river, through an industrial area on the other side. There are a couple of homeless people on the way and they're totally harmless. I think a lot of right wing people are scared to death of cities.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Arglebargle III posted:

Why are these pictures not the headline of every national newspaper and every national news site?

Anyone not on left Twitter either does not care or actively supports this and wants it to increase.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Google Butt posted:

thats a for sure no though
Well the thing about the right's constant loving victimization complex is that it's effective regardless of whether or not you're in on the scam.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Nonsense posted:

The Republican party is a white supremacist organization, and your Republican family members are white supremacists

https://twitter.com/NRCC/status/1146125706340052992

I know they are and it sucks. My FiL recently joked to my Black nephew about his skin being nearly as dark because of FiL’s summer tan. Also my BiL recently joked that he was going to name his new daughter with a stereotypical “Black” name for a woman.

I shoulda called them out but I didn’t. If it were my personal friends of my blood relatives, I definitely would have.

I don’t know how to do that without screwing up our relationship and making things very difficult for my wife. How do I do that?

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 2, 2019

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Is this public?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Betsy Ross' whole story might be bullshit but she's also one of very few women who got absorbed into the legend of the Founding Fathers so you know, I'd rather leave her in there. Most of what we know about the FF's is also bullshit being peddled as history so y'know, leave Betsy alone.

This isn't a critique of Kaepernick's statement, which was fine. I don't really care about the flag shoes. Just seeing some posts in here that are (unintentionally, I'll give ya'll the benefit of the doubt,) fine with erasing more women from national myth/history.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

redreader posted:

I know exactly what you're talking about because I walked to some donut shop late at night from a hotel on the downtown side of the river, through an industrial area on the other side. There are a couple of homeless people on the way and they're totally harmless. I think a lot of right wing people are scared to death of cities.

You are correct and also hilariously understating the depth of their issues. One time my dad (who occasionally still has to work in Seattle) said that he saw thugs engaging in criminal behavior and that he wished he'd had his gun with him. Looking back years later I interpret his statement as "I saw some black people and nearly pissed myself." I envy y'all that don't have lovely racist parents.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

a_pineapple posted:

I know they are and it sucks. My FiL recently joked to my Black nephew about his skin being nearly as dark because of FiL’s summer tan. Also my BiL recently joked that he was going to name his new daughter with a stereotypical “Black” name for a woman.

I shoulda called them out but I didn’t. If it were my personal friends of my blood relatives, I definitely would have.

I don’t know how to do that without screwing up our relationship and making things very difficult for my wife. How do I do that?

I would try the generic "Please don't do x, it makes me uncomfortable".

No is a complete sentence and if they make a big fuss over that you need to think about whether it's worth having people in your life that don't respect your boundaries because this 100% won't be the only time they do that if it's the case.

This also made me lol because I'm pretty sure a few days ago I just made a post itt saying "dear white people as summer is here there is no black person alive who wants you to put your arm next to ours like a paint swatch and say "I'm almost as dark as you!"

My friends mom's used to so this to me as a kid and the first time it was cute but it got old reeeeal fast

Also is he your nephew on your side or your wife's side of the family? Are you close? Protecting the kid would be my main concern and I'd go way HAM if it was my side and not my partners for sure.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Is it acceptable to compare my own arms and then use the difference in skin tone as an excuse to buy a right-hand drive car?

Because if it is I'm buying a mail jeep.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

RasperFat posted:

Doggers are never actually Nazis, no matter how much lovely owners try to beat it into them

I got a dog from my grandmother when she died, she'd gotten the dog from an old woman who died. Anyway, this dog, tiny little 6 lb pomeranian furball, did not like black people. And the darker their skin, the more she didn't like them. She would go berserk barking at people with really dark skin.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

pacerhimself posted:

A man masquerading as a "journalist" got punched once so that's more important.

but then If Greg Gianforte is the right's example, whoever assaulted that "journalist" should be elected to Congress

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Koalas March posted:

I would try the generic "Please don't do x, it makes me uncomfortable".

No is a complete sentence and if they make a big fuss over that you need to think about whether it's worth having people in your life that don't respect your boundaries because this 100% won't be the only time they do that if it's the case.

This also made me lol because I'm pretty sure a few days ago I just made a post itt saying "dear white people as summer is here there is no black person alive who wants you to put your arm next to ours like a paint swatch and say "I'm almost as dark as you!"

My friends mom's used to so this to me as a kid and the first time it was cute but it got old reeeeal fast

Also is he your nephew on your side or your wife's side of the family? Are you close? Protecting the kid would be my main concern and I'd go way HAM if it was my side and not my partners for sure.

This goes both ways. I am very white and would appreciate it if people stopped seeing me and yelling "g-g-g-g-ghost!" and jumping 3 feet in the air, legs spinning the entire time, until they hit the ground and they run off at mach 3.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Dan_F_Jacobson/status/1146153111393886208

It's not clear exactly how final or definitive this is; I just have this tweet to go off.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

This goes both ways. I am very white and would appreciate it if people stopped seeing me and yelling "g-g-g-g-ghost!" and jumping 3 feet in the air, legs spinning the entire time, until they hit the ground and they run off at mach 3.

Stop haunting people or find a necromancer

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Flip Yr Wig posted:

It's not clear exactly how final or definitive this is; I just have this tweet to go off.

Glorious if true. Nice to get a win on... anything.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Looks to be real.
https://twitter.com/KristenClarkeJD/status/1146153679399071745?s=20

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
non regressives should try to get those temp/season census taker jobs so a chud can't.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

remember when just today people were telling us we were wrong? lol

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Flip Yr Wig posted:

jacobson is counsel for New York in the case

https://twitter.com/Dan_F_Jacobson/status/1146156516787052544

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

Jesus christ those replies. Can we put those people in camps for a day? Like look at these pedantic little conservative fucks arguing over a loving drinking fountain or a toilet, in a Concentration Camp
no joke a good thing would be for every person to be processed and held in jail for, i dunno, three days. Just once, ever. Like as a pre req fpr graduating high school or something, same as community service. If people experienced the kind of dehumanizing that takes place there, even for a day, it would change so many people.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

eke out posted:

remember when just today people were telling us we were wrong? lol

I'm fully convinced that there is a segment of our posting population who are just nihilists stirring poo poo by pushing propaganda and trying to demoralize any opposition to the Fascists. I'm not sure how much of it is that or those who have simply bought into that nihilism but it pisses me off either way. We need to be getting people pissed off and energized, funnel that outrage over what these evil fuckers are doing into action to oppose them rather than letting ourselves fall into a rut of depression. I mean yeah we may all loving die in climate change hell but we're all going to die at some point anyway so we might as well go down swinging.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What if Ross sneaks into the warehouse and handwrites a citizenship question on every questionnaire?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Shrecknet posted:

no joke a good thing would be for every person to be processed and held in jail for, i dunno, three days. Just once, ever. Like as a pre req fpr graduating high school or something, same as community service. If people experienced the kind of dehumanizing that takes place there, even for a day, it would change so many people.

agreed, getting arrested is like working retail/foodservice/ag or some equally lovely job for minwage. just dealing with it once is enough for any empathetic but otherwise privileged person to hopefully get a taste of what regular life is like for millions of americans

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

haveblue posted:

What if Ross sneaks into the warehouse and handwrites a citizenship question on every questionnaire?

He does have very quiet shoes. This is possible.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Toxx for it then. The census will at the very least be delayed.

Look how loving dumb you are
https://twitter.com/Dan_F_Jacobson/status/1146156516787052544?s=20

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Here's some backup bona fides for this dude: Jacobson is a former Obama WH lawyer according to his twitter bio, and I found him listed as a plaintiff lawyer in the citizenship question lawsuit representing immigrant groups. Here's the same twitter account quoted in an article from last year: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/10/supreme-court-rules-that-commerce-secretary-wont-have-to-testify-in-key-census-case/

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Notice how none of them toxxed that it would be on the census.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
:siren:US POL rule update starting as of this post: challenging another poster to toxx on a topic counts as a self-toxx on the opposite stance, regardless of if the challenged person accepts:siren:

Please report posts challenging others to toxx!

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

DrNutt posted:

You are correct and also hilariously understating the depth of their issues. One time my dad (who occasionally still has to work in Seattle) said that he saw thugs engaging in criminal behavior and that he wished he'd had his gun with him. Looking back years later I interpret his statement as "I saw some black people and nearly pissed myself." I envy y'all that don't have lovely racist parents.

My mom's got it in for the entire state of California. "It's so horrible there! Democrats say they care about the homeless, but you look at LA and San Francisco. They have huge problems with the homeless and the Democrats there don't do anything about it!"

It's like where do I even begin?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Notice how none of them toxxed that it would be on the census.

Did anyone toxx that it wouldn't be on the census? Or are we just all standing in a circle, impressed with your ability to predict the past.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

volts5000 posted:

My mom's got it in for the entire state of California. "It's so horrible there! Democrats say they care about the homeless, but you look at LA and San Francisco. They have huge problems with the homeless and the Democrats there don't do anything about it!"

tell her its own dumbass fault for prop 13

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

The Census was saved because the positive energy itt won out against the negative energy. Those of you who were channeling negative energy earlier in the day need to take a long hard look at yourselves

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

volts5000 posted:

"What should we do about homelessness?"
The first step is to make it an actual solvable problem instead of something to whine about.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Mystic Mongol posted:

Did anyone toxx that it wouldn't be on the census? Or are we just all standing in a circle, impressed with your ability to predict the past.

I called this like 15 minutes after the Supreme Court decision came down last week.

Piell posted:

Its not a win in disguise, it's a win (on the 2020 census at least). In order for it to be added, they would somehow need to come up with a better truer reasoning for adding it than they already gave, explain away the "we did this explicitly to help white people" evidence which was not addressed in this opinion, have all that believed by the court, and do it all before the October deadline. It ain't happening

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

volts5000 posted:

Which state are you from?

Comparing California stats to your home stage might start breaking the shell.

There’s a good chance that any metric she’s measuring “horribleness” by is far worse in your home state.

Crime rates, homelessness rates, incomes, education, etc.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

RasperFat posted:

Which state are you from?

Comparing California stats to your home stage might start breaking the shell.

There’s a good chance that any metric she’s measuring “horribleness” by is far worse in your home state.

Crime rates, homelessness rates, incomes, education, etc.

For people outside CA, I usually point out that we have the 5th biggest economy in the world and are propbably propping up whatever state you're from with our taxes.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Until I see a verified PDF that went to the printer im gonna assume some other fuckery got slipped in like "where were you born?"

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Piell posted:

I called this like 15 minutes after the Supreme Court decision came down last week.

Yes, that ruling and this news today is about the biggest win that's likely to happen during the Trump admin. I'd love for Trump to be dragged out of the White House in cuffs or a straight jacket, but (even temporarily) preventing this census question from further ruining minority representation is huge.

Conversely, the gerrymandering loss in the SCOTUS is almost equally as huge, but is probably going to be dwarfed by what we're going to see in the next year and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I suspect that Census workers are going to ask anyways, even if its not on the form.