Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

-Sephirot: you need two people for towers, but you might be able to survive failing them

From my experience farming him for his unique item to make my sweet SAM sword you can survive failing the towers but you need like, 5-6 people for Da'at. Under the orange debuff it does like half a million damage and I remember a few times trying to 4 man it where he simply gave everyone orange and we were screwed.

Also IIRC the tower's don't go through HG but Da'at does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Love that the lesson we took from media analysis was that all things must be assumed to be their worst possible interpretation, that's not exhausting or undialectic at all or anything

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Is this board so humorless and joyless than one can't make light in the face of a tragedy or think that two characters seem cute together? Geezus.

TooManyUzukis posted:

Love that the lesson we took from media analysis was that all things must be assumed to be their worst possible interpretation, that's not exhausting or undialectic at all or anything

Of the love of-. Being critical of media doesn't mean condemning it. Vauthry made me feel, personally, uncomfortable. From the way you've all described how the rest of his story plays out, it seems at least the writers had good intentions, I just don't think those good intentions automatically negate any potential problems. A work can have issues with itself and still be enjoyable, every single writer who's ever lived struggles with things kind of thing at some point. Going "this one thing feels bad and I don't like it" doesn't mean I'm ready to harangue the writers for being the most insensitive people who were ever insensitive. I just like the way the character is used is a bit insulting, and that's it.

It's not the first or last time that this will happen about some matter or other in this game. But the writers have shown their ability to learn from it, as shown from the game making a big joke out of Hildibrand in a dress several years ago to Yoshi-P saying he wants to make the game more welcoming to trans people. That's what really matters; a willingness to listen, and this dev team seems to be well prepared for that sort of thing.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 6, 2019

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Violently Car posted:

probably post ShB
Regarding the light's blessing and tempering and stuff: didn't Midgardsormr straight up remove the blessing for a short while in 2.x? Did I misunderstand that? How does that fit into all this that he can just... do that?

IIRC what actually happened is that the Blessing of Light basically got spent entirely preventing you from being vaporized by Ultima during Praetorium. The Ascians noticed this eventually and Nabreales got the bright idea that this meant you were easy pickings, but it didn't turn out well for him.

Middy actually becomes your patron as part of a deal Hydaelin, watching your back and regaining some power for himself via your connection to the crystal mom until she recovered enough to restore the Blessing.

He can do that because he's absurdly powerful and has an understanding with Hydaelin since ancient times when she offered him and his kids shelter from Omega.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Thundarr posted:

IIRC what actually happened is that the Blessing of Light basically got spent entirely preventing you from being vaporized by Ultima during Praetorium. The Ascians noticed this eventually and Nabreales got the bright idea that this meant you were easy pickings, but it didn't turn out well for him.

Middy actually becomes your patron as part of a deal Hydaelin, watching your back and regaining some power for himself via your connection to the crystal mom until she recovered enough to restore the Blessing.

He can do that because he's absurdly powerful and has an understanding with Hydaelin since ancient times when she offered him and his kids shelter from Omega.

I don't think this is what happens because Nabriales notes you lost the Blessing of Light almost immediately after your encounter with Midgardsormr. This seems to imply it was stripped at the Keeper of the Lake and not before. The encounter with Ultima Weapon is where it starts being implied that Hydaelyn is losing power, however.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I might have mixed up the order of events. Either way it was less of a hostile act and more of an arrangement of convenience for both parties (not including WoL who didn't really get a say in it).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Midgardsormr consumed the power of your blessing, with Hydaelyn's consent, to reconstruct his tiny-mode corporeal form, and you regenerated that power over the course of Heavensward until it was active again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They were lesbians, Harold.

FF14 Shadowbringers: They were lesbians, Harold.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

This may be a cursed phrase but

yeet haw

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Man, the last dungeon is really cool. You spend the whole expansion facing off against these angelic looking holy monsters, then you get to the end and suddenly have to deal with this loving living nightmares.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Rhonne posted:

Man, the last dungeon is really cool. You spend the whole expansion facing off against these angelic looking holy monsters, then you get to the end and suddenly have to deal with this loving living nightmares.

Now you get to join the beauty that is the EXR dungeons :getin:

Need that Twinning orchestrion roll. I didn't think eScape could get better but goddamn I underestimated Square

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Magil Zeal posted:

I don't think this is what happens because Nabriales notes you lost the Blessing of Light almost immediately after your encounter with Midgardsormr. This seems to imply it was stripped at the Keeper of the Lake and not before. The encounter with Ultima Weapon is where it starts being implied that Hydaelyn is losing power, however.

Midgardsormr takes what little power you have left in your blessing and turns it into a body for himself, then over the course of heavansward we sort of refill the blessing with our own power.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SirSamVimes posted:

Also him being fat represents the excess of his rule of Eulmore. While the poor are practically starving when Meol isn't being provided to him, he is able to live in such luxury that he has enough to eat to get himself to such a size.

It's this.

He's not evil because he is fat. He is not bad because he is fat. The game is showing that "look how these people can eat so much that they are able to be fat while others starve"

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, Vauthry eventually even starts using some of Trump's vocal tics.

That said, yeah, fat jokes are A Problem, and they're still A Problem even the devs obviously went into it with good intentions. (Part of the problem is tying "obesity" to "the gluttonous rich", which is basically the opposite of how obesity works in real life, where obesity is most common among the poor who can't afford decent food, gym memberships, or health care.) Saying that people are fat because they're gluttonous is itself a slur.

And yeah, that whole middle area of Eulmore kind of feels like there was supposed to be a dungeon at some point and maybe a prison escape, with a Meltigemini boss fight.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Axel Serenity posted:

Now you get to join the beauty that is the EXR dungeons :getin:

Need that Twinning orchestrion roll. I didn't think eScape could get better but goddamn I underestimated Square

Twinning was a real treat. Loved going back to the Crystal Tower. Did the Garlond Ironworks really build their own mini-Alexander?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
They really need to advertise in some way that Arm's Length is a tank cooldown now. I had no idea until I read it in this thread.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rhonne posted:

Twinning was a real treat. Loved going back to the Crystal Tower. Did the Garlond Ironworks really build their own mini-Alexander?

FutureCid and FutureBiggs got real good at their jobs.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Rhonne posted:

Not just alexander, alexander mixed with omega.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Rhonne posted:

yup. its amazing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Nodosaur posted:

Vauthry made me feel, personally, uncomfortable.

So?

Good media can do that?

I've watched plenty of films that have made me, personally, uncomfortable because they discuss something that is personal to me.

I'm not saying it is bad to be offended by something or no one is allowed to be offended. I'm also not saying that we can't critically analyze media. Hell, I have a masters degree in an artistic field. I've done hundreds of hours of artistic analysis.

I am saying that just because something makes you uncomfortable does immediately mean it is bad and wrong.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Okay. That's still just pretty much only the introduction to what I was saying, and I laid it out further in following posts, so... why are you only responding to only part of my message?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nodosaur posted:

Anyway, Alisaie can add Dead Girlfriend to the list of tropes associated with her own hero's journey now, I guess.

I'm sorry, what?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Okay. That's still just pretty much only the introduction to what I was saying, and I laid it out further in following posts, so... why are you only responding to only part of my message?

I have a sincere question for you because I am genuinely curious - can you name me a piece of media, be it game, tv show, or film, that has a fat antagonist that you think the media handled well?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'm sorry, what?

Alisaie's into blondes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

I have a sincere question for you because I am genuinely curious - can you name me a piece of media, be it game, tv show, or film, that has a fat antagonist that you think the media handled well?

Dr. Ivo Robotnik, in the games. Aside from a visual motif informing his supervillain name, he's rarely disparaged regarding his weight even by the heroes, and is shown to be physically capable in multiple sports spinoff titles.

US Media and localizations tend to lean into the whole fat jokes thing, unfortunately.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Alisaie's into blondes.

And the WoL.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Dr. Ivo Robotnik, in the games. Aside from a visual motif informing his supervillain name, he's rarely disparaged regarding his weight even by the heroes, and is shown to be physically capable in multiple sports spinoff titles.

US Media and localizations tend to lean into the whole fat jokes thing, unfortunately.

The Sonic games also have about as much story as a Mario game, which is to say, hardly any.

There is no media with actual stories that have fat characters with antagonist that you find handle it well?

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Your Computer posted:

I just got through all of the Alexander raids for the first time (put it off because the queues were terrible, now they're really quick even as a DPS!) and that was awesome

I nearly fell off my chair laughing when the minibosses and and the Onslaughter combined, complete with a loving super sentai theme song :allears: I can't believe I used to think the FFXIV raid songs with lyrics and stuff were dumb, because everything I've done post-ARR has been incredibly awesome and fun. I've still got forward and back and then forward and back and then... stuck in my brain. I know this is real old news to everyone else but I'm having such a blast seeing all this stuff for the first time :3:

It's definitely the music that finally convinced me to sub. Holy crap I can't wait to get to some of that content. But I'm enjoying the story thus far.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

The Sonic games also have about as much story as a Mario game, which is to say, hardly any.

There is no media with actual stories that have fat characters with antagonist that you find handle it well?

I just told you one. You... aren't really accurate about what you're saying either. Barring the fact that there's an entire anime series with this character, Sonic games are often criticized as having too much story in recent years. The guy isn't lacking for material, and he just doesn't tend to be treated or framed badly for being obese. I don't know what else to tell you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I gave into the urge to start playing ShB on my laptop, and this whole setting is very compelling and has a great "atmosphere." I also really like the WoD showing up again, since they were one of the more interesting characters to show up. You really get the impression that there's a lot of passion involved in the making of this game.

edit: I've also been completing the job quests for all my DoH jobs, which are all 70 but not fully "quested." On the upside, it's free xp! Got a couple to 71 off of them.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 7, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mordiceius posted:

Daredevil season one, the Kingpin.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe a giant fat bald character that acts like a baby isnt a personal attack on you but is instead a representation of..... a big baby

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Heard great things about the story, so I downloaded the demo today and played a lancer for a few hours. This game is gorgeous! I've been playing a WoW private server waiting for the classic release, but I'm gonna sub and play this for a couple months instead.

When you change classes, do you become weak and have to go back to killing low level mobs? This is an alien concept to me. Also, should I buy the game from SE rather than steam?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Okay Titania's theme is godlike.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fun Times! posted:

Heard great things about the story, so I downloaded the demo today and played a lancer for a few hours. This game is gorgeous! I've been playing a WoW private server waiting for the classic release, but I'm gonna sub and play this for a couple months instead.

When you change classes, do you become weak and have to go back to killing low level mobs? This is an alien concept to me. Also, should I buy the game from SE rather than steam?

The available starting classes (and Rogue/Ninja) all start from level 1, so you have to go back to that level when you switch to them. However, there are other jobs that start at 30, 50, or 60 that can be unlocked eventually.

Also buy from SE because if you buy from Steam you're locked into buying future expansions from Steam as well.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Daredevil season one, the Kingpin.

The kingpin isn't fat, all of it is muscle

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Arist posted:

The available starting classes (and Rogue/Ninja) all start from level 1, so you have to go back to that level when you switch to them. However, there are other jobs that start at 30, 50, or 60 that can be unlocked eventually.

Also buy from SE because if you buy from Steam you're locked into buying future expansions from Steam as well.

Okay, so is the leveling process really quick per class? It seems most people level many classes to max. How long does it take?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
MSQ ending spoilers: DRK can get hosed, WAR actually the hero job this expansion. Tomahawk OP.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Blast of Confetti posted:

maybe a giant fat bald character that acts like a baby isnt a personal attack on you but is instead a representation of..... a big baby

as a fat person i see a lot of myself in the character that throws tantrums, eats, looks like a baby, poops his diaper, and posts on something awful. and it's sickening. physical illness overtakes me

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not that quick, but you do get a significant experience bonus when you're leveling a job that isn't your highest leveled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay I played this like maybe a year or 2 ago and I'm kinda lost as to everything, I got to level 28 as an arcanist and burnt clean out from trying to do like half a dozen crafting jobs simultaneously for some reason that escapes me now, and I really don't want to restart because I remember things being rather slow going. So my question is there a place to catch up on the plot somewhere because I have no idea and how do you use Carbuncle properly because they seems pretty drat puny.