Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Sarsapariller posted:

CIG Hacking Prototype, 2017

You have a timer on top showing seconds and milliseconds
Meter showing a value right
3 programs shown at your disposal for use - Portbomb, Shellkit and Rootworm
Values at the right of the programs, which don't update currently
Ability to Cycle Proxy, or Disconnect from the system
Timer bars to show program run progress, and the ability to run more than one at a time
A Gate level to show progress of some sort
A blank door pass code on the right which gets more characters revealed as progress is made

Actual Released Hacking, 2019
Press button and wait 15 mins

So what I'm trying to say is that when they talk about unreleased features it is a sure bet that they will come out exactly as described and not as giant fun-vacuums.
Haha wtf I think this may be a scam fellas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Taking that long to get doors working would still be embarrassing if this was true.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Sarsapariller posted:

The default assumption of the MRA crowd is that women are marrying you to steal your money.

They never notice the part where honestly if you don't have kids with them, you don't really owe them anything in a divorce- so really it's your drat dirty children trying to take all your cash, the grubby bastards. It also seems to escape most of them that if the world were really as transactional as they think and women were in such high demand they could just as easily marry a man they like who makes good money. But no- women are all thieves and men are all repellent and the only thing that brings them together is money, good thing I have a lot of it! <Opens up Star Citizen store page>

Even if you’re actually hollow headed enough to believe this garbage, you could still hypothetically try to find someone that understands your concerns and will sign a prenup or just be ok with a nontraditional partnership. But no it’s just reeeeeeeeeee all women are gold diggers or whatever so why try. Yes I’m sure there’s no other reason for your “voluntary” solitude, creeps.

No one wants half of your foil Magic cards and limited edition maquettes anyway dorks.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

colonelwest posted:

It's CIG's typical mode of operations; spend years trying to make some mundane aspect of the game needlessly complex and fidelitious, only to give up and release the most basic implementation possible that is utterly broken and boring, promise its only an early pre-alpha place holder version, then forget about it and leave it in that state forever. But the Citizenry never learns, they always think that the original promised version is right on the horizon so anyone criticizing its current form is a filthy FUDster.

It's not just basic though. That's what gets me- there's clearly something going on here. Basic would be what they had- hit E on the screen, wait X minutes, hack complete.

But now you actually have to go buy widgets, and different widgets have different hacking properties. You actually have to interact with the screen, hitting the prompt. They've given it stakes and they've given it mechanics that could, conceivably, be used to make something fun. But instead they use those mechanics to bore the player. The widgets are there to make hacking cost a lot of money. The prompts are there to force you to sit at your computer for the full 15 minutes because if you don't the hack will fail. It's not gameplay, it's a punishment. Just like the quantum travel.

Once again it feels like someone's sabotaging the game with design decisions that are actively anti-player. There's something more going on behind the scenes and I really want to know what it is.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Even if you’re actually hollow headed enough to believe this garbage, you could still hypothetically try to find someone that understands your concerns and will sign a prenup or just be ok with a nontraditional partnership. But no it’s just reeeeeeeeeee all women are gold diggers or whatever so why try. Yes I’m sure there’s no other reason for your “voluntary” solitude, creeps.

No one wants half of your foil Magic cards and limited edition maquettes anyway dorks.

I'm personally a fan of this social degeneration. I've always been just an average joe, and with all the stalky weird creepshows wandering the landscape, my relative value has gone up considerably, by just staying an average joe. Due to the technicalities of marriage I can't capitalize on that advantage, but it's nice to know the options are there. Although if it keeps up at this rate, I'm going to feel less and less like it's good, and more and more like I'm one of the last people in a pandemic who still hasn't caught the virus.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

It's not just basic though. That's what gets me- there's clearly something going on here. Basic would be what they had- hit E on the screen, wait X minutes, hack complete.

But now you actually have to go buy widgets, and different widgets have different hacking properties. You actually have to interact with the screen, hitting the prompt. They've given it stakes and they've given it mechanics that could, conceivably, be used to make something fun. But instead they use those mechanics to bore the player. The widgets are there to make hacking cost a lot of money. The prompts are there to force you to sit at your computer for the full 15 minutes because if you don't the hack will fail. It's not gameplay, it's a punishment. Just like the quantum travel.

Once again it feels like someone's sabotaging the game with design decisions that are actively anti-player. There's something more going on behind the scenes and I really want to know what it is.

I think I have you covered. Chris is selling the "Hollywood" experience, even though this is a game and not a movie, the two should never mix, and movies are made to be watched not played. But Chris is a weapons-grade moron, so this is now a movie. The reason, and I am not making this up, the reason those delays are there is to force the movie-going experience not on you, but on the people around you. It takes 15 minutes to hack so there's a big window of opportunity for another commando to happen upon the scene, see you there, and think "Look, he's hacking the terminal!" All they have to add is the audio for "I'm past the third firewall, this guy is good, deploying countermeasures." The reason quantum travel takes so long is so you keep having to stay engaged so your passengers can run around and "check the inertial dampeners." Star Citizen is a movie, and the players are Chris's extras, except instead of him paying them, they're paying him.

Keep in mind how many hours and hours of footage are shot to get 2 minutes that winds up in the film. That's what Chris is going for here. The longer everything takes, the more likely there will eventually be a confluence of events that plays out in such a way that people will talk about it and say "It was just like a movie!" People are paying tens of thousands of dollars to send the vast majority of their free time straight to the cutting room floor.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 7, 2019

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The 2017 prototype hacking looks like it was cribbed from E.Y.E. Cybermancy's hacking gameplay.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Everytime I see MRA I think of MRE, and I get confused why some guys killing off their guts hates women.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

valiantlife posted:

AFAIK the bugged is tied to the server running at about 5fps and so running out the door could mean you miss a bunch of server ticks. The server then drags you back inside the ship and forces you to do the ladder climbing cinematic but by forcing you back inside it causes a large amount of damage so you die.

The bigger issue here is forcing the player to do the dumb climb down cut scene when, in a sandbox game like this, players should have the freedom to leave the ship however they want.

This also goes for the dumb chair swivel and anything involving ladders.

I've seen enough of the cuts from the bugs that appear in their bug-tracker thingy to propose a solution.

I'm pretty sure if they removed ALL the fidelity animations they would immediately fix about 25%-30% of their existing bugs while simultaneously cutting down their future workload by a decent amount.
Next step would be to move their flight model to a properly 'faked' one and stop trying to deal with their 'realistic' thruster models etc. That's probably another 25% of the bugs gone right there.

I wager some more work on removing "inner thought" and making the mobiglass a normal client-side menu would also make good progress.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Sarsapariller posted:

CIG Hacking Prototype, 2017
https://gfycat.com/vibrantterribleblacklab

Actual Released Hacking, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exUbUbZsdC4&t=355s

So what I'm trying to say is that when they talk about unreleased features it is a sure bet that they will come out exactly as described and not as giant fun-vacuums.

But, but but... it's a tier-0 implementation ? Don't you get it ? Donate another 500 millions and you'll get your ideal hacking ! You monster !

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Fidelitious posted:

I'm pretty sure if they removed ALL the fidelity animations they would immediately fix about 25%-30% of their existing bugs while simultaneously cutting down their future workload by a decent amount.
Next step would be to move their flight model to a properly 'faked' one and stop trying to deal with their 'realistic' thruster models etc. That's probably another 25% of the bugs gone right there.

Yes absolutely. Half the broken poo poo in the game is because the spaceman is forced to do things the hard way for no benefit to the game or player. Compare the ship entry/exit in Star Citizen to Warframe, for example. In Star Citizen every ladder and door and hatch must be modeled and accessible to the player, they all require mocap or physics interactions for entry/exit, they are the source of half the bugs in the game due to the player not-quite-seamlessly leaving one physics grid and entering another, etc.

In Warframe you just click "Enter" and a 1 second cutscene plays and then you're inside the ship. And nobody cares because after the first time, nobody notices poo poo like that. Except for Chris. Chris notices, he can't stop noticing. He has this bizarre eye for the most pointless details, and completely misses the bigger picture. He'll go loving monkeyshit over something like the elevators not actually moving even though they are closed windowless boxes, and insist that the game be adjusted until they do, even if it makes you bounce and jitter and clip all over the loving place in the aftermath.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Fidelitious posted:

I've seen enough of the cuts from the bugs that appear in their bug-tracker thingy to propose a solution.

I wager some more work on removing "inner thought" and making the mobiglass a normal client-side menu would also make good progress.

Or you could be just more positive.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
An offer approaches

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

An offer approaches

Do it, dancey cat! The world needs more pgabz.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Bofast posted:

Do it, dancey cat! The world needs more pgabz.

There is something about Australian accents that slays me, so I might, it could be a motivation to download the thing again!

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Sarsapariller posted:

Yes absolutely. Half the broken poo poo in the game is because the spaceman is forced to do things the hard way for no benefit to the game or player. Compare the ship entry/exit in Star Citizen to Warframe, for example. In Star Citizen every ladder and door and hatch must be modeled and accessible to the player, they all require mocap or physics interactions for entry/exit, they are the source of half the bugs in the game due to the player not-quite-seamlessly leaving one physics grid and entering another, etc.

In Warframe you just click "Enter" and a 1 second cutscene plays and then you're inside the ship. And nobody cares because after the first time, nobody notices poo poo like that. Except for Chris. Chris notices, he can't stop noticing. He has this bizarre eye for the most pointless details, and completely misses the bigger picture. He'll go loving monkeyshit over something like the elevators not actually moving even though they are closed windowless boxes, and insist that the game be adjusted until they do, even if it makes you bounce and jitter and clip all over the loving place in the aftermath.

So from what I understand , in Warframe, the "ship", the enemy "ship" etc are just static levels you teleport to and from. The "windows" are just remote camera views that are stuck to the outside of the ship models.
The thing is , this actually allows them to re-use a poo poo TON of their existing content , and allow them to generate a ton of proc-gen varieties of "ship interiors". As long as there's a "gun turret room", a "cockpit room" somewhere, they can make the same levels as before. "The ship interior doesn't line up perfectly with the exterior" is something only pedantic people would notice, AND it allows them to basically allow you to fly a capital ship with full interior with a lot less hassle.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sample_text posted:

"The ship interior doesn't line up perfectly with the exterior" is something only pedantic people would notice.

This is the central conceit behind the entire project. It caters to disorders that most people would pay a psychiatrist to help them resolve. In fact, those disorders form the bedrock foundation the entire project is built on. You can't fix the game without breaking the backers.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

I think I have you covered. Chris is selling the "Hollywood" experience, even though this is a game and not a movie, the two should never mix, and movies are made to be watched not played. But Chris is a weapons-grade moron, so this is now a movie. The reason, and I am not making this up, the reason those delays are there is to force the movie-going experience not on you, but on the people around you. It takes 15 minutes to hack so there's a big window of opportunity for another commando to happen upon the scene, see you there, and think "Look, he's hacking the terminal!" All they have to add is the audio for "I'm past the third firewall, this guy is good, deploying countermeasures." The reason quantum travel takes so long is so you keep having to stay engaged so your passengers can run around and "check the inertial dampeners." Star Citizen is a movie, and the players are Chris's extras, except instead of him paying them, they're paying him.

Keep in mind how many hours and hours of footage are shot to get 2 minutes that winds up in the film. That's what Chris is going for here. The longer everything takes, the more likely there will eventually be a confluence of events that plays out in such a way that people will talk about it and say "It was just like a movie!" People are paying tens of thousands of dollars to send the vast majority of their free time straight to the cutting room floor.

Yeah, I think most of the answers to why Star Citizen is broken mess of half-baked ideas left to rot on the vine boil down to some combination of.

1. Chris thinks everything in video games should be as cinematic as possible, regardless of how detrimental to actual game play this is. He has an antiquated belief that film is the inherently superior medium which video games must emulate and catch up to, compounded by an infantile understanding of what cinematic even means.

2. Chris has an idiotic belief that modern game dev technology and gaming PCs can make a fully realized simulation of a sci-fi universe, and that "realism" in video games is actually desirable and fun. (This is often at odds with #1 because mundane everyday life like bathing and using the bathroom is rarely cinematic)

3. CIG will say and do anything to keep ship sales going, including pay walling content and making the game punishingly pay-to-win.

4. CIG's is utterly incompetent at everything and relies on a constant churn of recent college grads.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

colonelwest posted:

Yeah, I think most of the answers to why Star Citizen is broken mess of half-baked ideas left to rot on the vine boil down to either...

1. Chris thinks everything in video games should be as cinematic as possible, regardless of how detrimental to actual game play this is. He has an antiquated belief that film is the inherently superior medium which video games must emulate and catch up to, compounded by an infantile understanding of what cinematic even means.

Hideo Kojima is probably a bigger starfucker than Chris Roberts, but at least he had put in some quality storytelling and some themes into his games and eventually realized to put some innovative gameplay into those games as well.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

This is the central conceit behind the entire project. It caters to disorders that most people would pay a psychiatrist to help them resolve. In fact, those disorders form the bedrock foundation the entire project is built on. You can't fix the game without breaking the backers.

I can fix the game. Remove Chris Roberts, make a design document - stick to it, game out in three years. (Average to good)

P.s. I don't really like space games, I'm here because Chris Roberts is a fraud and I warned others about him at the START of the Kickstarter.

You could say, I called it - then Chris answered the call in 2015.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Anyone heard from dsizzle lately?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Whatever you do, don't say his name three times.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

Not that they did it on purpose but CIG probably want the starter ship to be bad and frustrating. The doors (which work and have for years now, I insist) murder-clipping commandos is just advertisement for an upgrade.

Considering the fact that basically every time I get drunk enough to play Star Citizen I consider giving them another 20 bucks to have a usable ship just so that I can make videos about how bad the game is, I guess their plan is working.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Beet Wagon posted:

Considering the fact that basically every time I get drunk enough to play Star Citizen I consider giving them another 20 bucks to have a usable ship just so that I can make videos about how bad the game is, I guess their plan is working.

Pledge now, Commando!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Parallelwoody posted:

Anyone heard from dsizzle lately?

If Derek done a non-stop 24 hour live stream of himself playing (and restarting after crashing) Star Citizen - can we tell him he is welcome back?

(only not to unban him)

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Or is 24 hours of Star Citizen to cruel of a punishment even for Derek "The Doxxxer" Smart?

Has The Stimpire ban it as to extreme of a punishment even for them?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I mean... we can tell him whatever we want :shrug:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean... we can tell him whatever we want :shrug:

Bring back the smart!

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Sample_text posted:

So from what I understand , in Warframe, the "ship", the enemy "ship" etc are just static levels you teleport to and from. The "windows" are just remote camera views that are stuck to the outside of the ship models.
The thing is , this actually allows them to re-use a poo poo TON of their existing content , and allow them to generate a ton of proc-gen varieties of "ship interiors". As long as there's a "gun turret room", a "cockpit room" somewhere, they can make the same levels as before. "The ship interior doesn't line up perfectly with the exterior" is something only pedantic people would notice, AND it allows them to basically allow you to fly a capital ship with full interior with a lot less hassle.

Well, in Star Citizen's defense, they took care to make the environments be completely coherent. You'll never find an area that is non-realistically connected to another area. Take elevators for example, they're real, not like in other games, they won't teleport you to another level... oh poo poo, never mind.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

skeletors_condom posted:

Bring back the smart!

no

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

quote:

badnewsbaron

I don't think I've seen anything smaller than a Cat or Starfarer be involved in a chasing fight. In PVP it's always an orbiting shootout facing each other as best as possible, or afterburner jousting.

The media around Star Citizen fights, whether fan made or official art or trailers, always has the Star Wars dogfight style rather than what actually happens in game.

And we are like "no poo poo"

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

mature and intelligent enough to understand game development

:smug:

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Imagine being so disconnected from the real world that you think that writing a post or two about SC's failures a day or week makes you unable to play anything else.

]

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

holy poo poo this video game

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

This is one of those rare games where the more time is spent on it, the further it gets from completion. That's what happens when you promise infinity. The word is only 8 letters long and can be said quickly, it's only when you start to work towards it that the enormity and impossibility of it all begins to sink in. Every time they aim at even a single facet of this game, they can't do it, slap on a Tier-0 implementation that will never be revisited, and call it a day. The mantra of "no cheats, no compromises" is now being chanted about a product constructed entirely of cheats and compromises, all in the name of technically releasing something so Chris can pull the ripcord and sail off to a new grift.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Gosts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LobzUVTiYVM

YO YO YO DID WE TALK ABOUT THIS YET

Oh boy one more thing to cross off the list of "Elite doesn't have [insert thing star citizen will never have]!"

Did you realize that the composed shot is the same as the one used in the Bengal reveal for Star Citizen's KS?

:iceburn:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Nothing original about the shot of a spaceship fly.

Nothing original about anything Chris Roberts.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

no_recall posted:

Did you realize that the composed shot is the same as the one used in the Bengal reveal for Star Citizen's KS?

:iceburn:

Hopefully, they actually come out in December, instead of getting pushed back again, although FD's been pretty good about that once things are actually shown, rather than talked about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

lol , at it's in the game, you just need to go through the game files, spawn them or something and then do some hand waving and you have a fleet carrier, this is definitely comparable to what it's like in an actual game