Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Propaniac posted:

Trust me, this one is better than the title suggests.

I'm [F34] pregnant and struggling with my husband's [M35] lack of support regarding my in-laws behaviour. How can I improve the situation?

All I can think of is Mr. Hat from South Park. I'm not fully convinced this is real. Were they talking as mice in public while the husband was growing up? Did the dad work the mascot suit at Chuck E Cheese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Why on earth would you willingly marry into the mouse puppet family

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Xaris posted:

lmao. america evangelicals really did a number on everyone huh

Everyone gullible and stupid, at least.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for selling my daughter's car after discovering her texting & driving?

When my daughter was 14, wife and I decided we would buy a car for her to use on her 16th if she proved herself to be responsible, got good grades, etc. There would be a "contract" of sorts to ensure we were all on the same page. The stipulations were continuing good grades, good attitude, she could only bring one friend with her somewhere (to begin with), we had to know where she was, and the obvious two: don't drink & drive, and don't text and drive.

We made it clear that we were buying the car, but it was for her to use. We got the car, a 2012 Honda Civic. She has a summer job right now, it's summer break so she's out doing stuff with her friends, etc. In a few months she will be off to college. Everything was going swimmingly. Until someone on that NextDoor app started posting pictures and videos of bad drivers in the area. And lo and behold, my daughter was posted with her face down as she texted and rolled through a stop sign. Once with her face down in her phone at a stoplight. I was livid. My wife was the one who showed it to me. We found out there were more instances (from her Instagram Stories) and we decided... no.

Wife and I up and sold the car. We didn't lose very much in the process, except of course our daughter completely came unraveled. It's so unfair, I didn't hurt anyone, everyone's doing it, how am I supposed to get to work, what about when I go to college? Well, we said no, it's not unfair, you hurt us by being a lovely, irresponsible driver, no, not everyone's doing it, you can walk, ride your bike, or take the bus, and as for college, you don't need the car to get to and from classes, and again, ride your bike or walk. She tried to play the "how can you send your daughter to college without her safety in mind?" card and I said "Well, well, well, now you're concerned about safety?" and she just up and screamed.

This has everyone in our life up in arms and divided. Her grandparents think we're being over the top and awful, that grounding her would have sufficed. They've threatened that THEY will buy her a car again if we try to send her to college without one.

The car is already sold, so there's no going back. I think what we did was absolutely correct, that actions have consequences and we would be in the wrong to pull back from that. In terms of her going to college? Well, she made that choice. She had a car, it came with certain stipulations, she disobeyed us, and now she pays the price.

So AITA?

this is a really good way of handling it except they should have clearly set the expectation before they got her the car that if she ever did anything lovely or illegal the car goes end of story. If the car was a convenience and not a necessity (which it sounds like it wasn't, she has other ways of getting to school/work) it's an apt punishment.

if it was me I'd probably have taken the keys for like 3 months to mimic a license suspension and then give her the stipulation that if it happens again, the car gets sold, end of story.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

abigserve posted:

this is a really good way of handling it except they should have clearly set the expectation before they got her the car that if she ever did anything lovely or illegal the car goes end of story. If the car was a convenience and not a necessity (which it sounds like it wasn't, she has other ways of getting to school/work) it's an apt punishment.

if it was me I'd probably have taken the keys for like 3 months to mimic a license suspension and then give her the stipulation that if it happens again, the car gets sold, end of story.

I would have opted for your option too since now she’s just going to be the passenger in some other kid’s car who is texting and driving.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

abigserve posted:

When she said everyone does it, she would no longer be able to accept rides from anyone her age.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Propaniac posted:

I'm [F34] pregnant and struggling with my husband's [M35] lack of support regarding my in-laws behaviour. How can I improve the situation?

Ho. Lee. poo poo.

You're going to need to get in touch with your local Forsaken pack, ma'am. If this poo poo isn't handled it can get really, really out of control. These things are too busy with their puppets right now but if they ever start gnawing the Gauntlet look out.

How in the gently caress did this relationship last past the first meeting with the parents?

:downs: "Say hello to our son, Timothy the papier-mache rat!"
:yikes: "OH MY I FORGOT I have to go to another continent right now, nice to meet you!"

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

My (25 F) boyfriend (24 M) of 5 years just disclosed to me that he does not believe women should be allowed to vote.

quote:

I don’t want to cause any political debates. If it’s necessary for context: obviously I believe that women should be allowed to vote.

I’m so confused, I don’t know what to think. I’m not even sure if this is the proper sub but I just feel that I need some advice.

In the time I have known him, my boyfriend has always fell politically independent, or so I thought. Politics was never an issue between us at all. However he just admitted to me that over the past year he’s grown more and more extreme in his views, to the point that he believes women have ruined the country (we are American) and that they should not be allowed to vote... He says he did not feel comfortable telling me about this sooner because he thought he would lose me.

I’m upset and I can’t tell if I’m wrong to be upset about this because I know that everyone is entitled to have their own views, but now I just feel as though he doesn’t even value my own input/views. He has assured me that he still thinks that I should be allowed to vote but that women in general should not...

This is a person I have been with for almost 5 years. We’ve talked about marriage. I don’t know what to think. In all other aspects he is the perfect, most amazing partner, and I can’t imagine my life without him in it. But this suddenly has me rethinking about a lot.

Am I wrong to be questioning our relationship over his new beliefs? As his girlfriend am I supposed to be tolerant and respectful of his views even though I may (strongly) disagree? I can’t tell if I’m overreacting to this or not. The whole situation has made me feel terrible and I’m so confused.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

chemtrail huffer posted:

My (25 F) boyfriend (24 M) of 5 years just disclosed to me that he does not believe women should be allowed to vote.

End the relationship and make sure every woman he's ever met or will meet knows why. Especially his mom.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for asking my girlfriend to not discuss her autism support group with me?

I'm in a long distance relationship for now. There's been some tension and my girlfriend has been thinking I'm on the spectrum for awhile. I've never been diagnosed with autism. At one point she contacted my mother and brother without telling me to ask them about if I showed signs of it growing up. She wants me to get formally tested but upon looking into that's very difficult and expensive for an adult.

She joined a Facebook group for women with autistic boyfriends or husbands. The group is frankly from what I can tell very toxic. It's less a support group than a place for women to vent about their autistic partners, or often just ex-partners of them venting about how awful they are. A lot of stuff she's shown me from it seems pretty bigoted, talking about how autistic people are basically sociopaths and can never understand emotions and never avoid hurting people. She regularly shows me posts on it that "remind her of me" and sends me screenshots, often with her often hurtful comments about me intact. She asked on it if they thought I was on the spectrum and then showed me the responses. Her post was very one-sided in the description of me and the comments were very hurtful, most telling her to leave me, and about how I was obviously autistic and would never change. Some of the things she goes on about is incredibly trivial, like that I usually don't fold my laundry properly. I told her how this hurts me and she just says that I need to address this even if it hurts because it could kill the relationship otherwise.

Whenever we discuss it we mostly go in circles. I pledge to change behaviors she dislikes and she shares stories from it as "proof" I might not be able to change and says it's important to talk about it because I need to be prepared if she decides to just walk away from the relationship as a result. I've actually gotten some books and resources to read about the issues but sometimes don't get time to read them because we have a long drawn out conversation about something she read on there, usually that we already discussed.

We once were having a discussion about boundaries. I asked if I could set a boundary of not discussing that group with me. She got infuriated and went on a tirade against me, claiming my requests were "rules, not boundaries" and the only reason she shared that and other actions was "a reaction to my bullshit" so I had no right to complain about it, especially she relies on that group for support over my behavior. She also regularly reminds me about how she might have to "walk away from the relationship" and how I shouldn't be bothered or offended if she does. I've told her that it's still a hurtful thing to constantly discuss if she wants to remain in it for now, which she insists she does, and is taxing on my emotional health and making it difficult to make the changes she wants. Am I wrong for asking her to not discuss that with me?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

abigserve posted:

This was the right call. The parent's reaction was fair but not well calculated. Rather than internalize a valuable lesson, it's more likely their daughter will just resent the hell out of them, learn nothing, and go right on texting while driving whenever she gets her next car.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

chemtrail huffer posted:

You've fell for the typical centrilist trap by assuming that all opinions are equal. You don't have to be tolerant and respectful of views that are intolerant. The good news is that you're only 25, plenty of time in your life to find someone who isn't garbage.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

TheAardvark posted:

This would make a great horror movie.

In the finale, the OP wakes up, hog tied on the stage of an abandoned Chuck E. Cheese, with every mouse figurine circled around her.

The in-laws approach her and explain she doesn't need to worry, their second grandchild will be safe... with their older brother Timothy.

The OP shrieks that they're crazy, Timothy isn't real... until one squeaky voice, then many all start saying 'We are real!'

Plot twist! These 'figurines' are inanimate vessels holding the souls of their departed relatives. Timothy was OP's husband's first child that died in an accident, and is so lonely in his papier mache husk.

A nearly identical papier mache mouse effigy is brought into the stage as OP begins to scream...

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm in a long distance relationship for now. There's been some tension and my girlfriend has been thinking I'm on the spectrum for awhile. I've never been diagnosed with autism. At one point she contacted my mother and brother without telling me to ask them about if I showed signs of it growing up. She wants me to get formally tested but upon looking into that's very difficult and expensive for an adult.

She joined a Facebook group for women with autistic boyfriends or husbands. The group is frankly from what I can tell very toxic. It's less a support group than a place for women to vent about their autistic partners, or often just ex-partners of them venting about how awful they are. A lot of stuff she's shown me from it seems pretty bigoted, talking about how autistic people are basically sociopaths and can never understand emotions and never avoid hurting people. She regularly shows me posts on it that "remind her of me" and sends me screenshots, often with her often hurtful comments about me intact. She asked on it if they thought I was on the spectrum and then showed me the responses. Her post was very one-sided in the description of me and the comments were very hurtful, most telling her to leave me, and about how I was obviously autistic and would never change. Some of the things she goes on about is incredibly trivial, like that I usually don't fold my laundry properly. I told her how this hurts me and she just says that I need to address this even if it hurts because it could kill the relationship otherwise.

Whenever we discuss it we mostly go in circles. I pledge to change behaviors she dislikes and she shares stories from it as "proof" I might not be able to change and says it's important to talk about it because I need to be prepared if she decides to just walk away from the relationship as a result. I've actually gotten some books and resources to read about the issues but sometimes don't get time to read them because we have a long drawn out conversation about something she read on there, usually that we already discussed.

We once were having a discussion about boundaries. I asked if I could set a boundary of not discussing that group with me. She got infuriated and went on a tirade against me, claiming my requests were "rules, not boundaries" and the only reason she shared that and other actions was "a reaction to my bullshit" so I had no right to complain about it, especially she relies on that group for support over my behavior. She also regularly reminds me about how she might have to "walk away from the relationship" and how I shouldn't be bothered or offended if she does. I've told her that it's still a hurtful thing to constantly discuss if she wants to remain in it for now, which she insists she does, and is taxing on my emotional health and making it difficult to make the changes she wants. Am I wrong for asking her to not discuss that with me?

Lol his girl is negging the gently caress out of him, a natural alpha female.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Admiral Ray posted:

I live in the American Pizza Building on West 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Pizza Cheeseman. I’m 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I’ll put on an ice pack while eating my pepperoni bunches. I can eat a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack I use a wood-fired cleanser oven. In the shower I use a grease activated gel cleanser, then a marinara cashew body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating basil scrub. Then I apply an deep-dish facial masque which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no flour, because gluten dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye dough followed by a final mozzarella protective lotion. There is an idea of a Pizza Cheeseman. Some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me. Only a recipe. Something illusory. And though I can hide my cheese glaze, and you can shake my hand and feel stuffed crust gripping yours, and maybe you can even sense our baking styles are probably comparable, I simply am not there.

:golfclap:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

chemtrail huffer posted:

My (25 F) boyfriend (24 M) of 5 years just disclosed to me that he does not believe women are people.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Smirking_Serpent posted:

For once the reddit comments are right and this is a real case of gaslighting. The pro move is give her a taste of her bullshit and link her to the reddit thread where all the comments are saying how toxic she is and to leave her.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for puchasing the vehicle I want when SO will be "emotionally traumatized"

SO and I are looking to get a camper, the catch is neither of our vehicles are capable of towing a potato so I pitched the idea of selling my car and getting a truck/SUV. She was all for it and since then I've started shopping around. The majority of pickup trucks aren't really something I'm interested in aesthetically and realistically we wouldn't get much use out of the truck bed.

​I found an SUV that was suitable for our needs and something I liked but my wife shut it down instantly. Basically every excuse in the book, it's old it's ugly. My response was I like it, I'm the one who's going to be driving it and the only time it would effect her at all is when we go camping half a dozen times a year.

​We've been arguing about it for a little while, I have a few other options in mind but I couldn't understand why she was adament I didn't get this specific vehicle until yesterday she drops this.

​Her: Can I tell you something stupid without you judging me. (regarding the SUV)

​Me: Sure.

​Her: I don't want you to get the SUV because my friend told me you had a SUV like that in highschool and you and your ex used to have sex in it all the time.

​Me: ... wtf that's pretty stupid and... it's not even true.

​So now she is claiming if we get said SUV every time she has to travel in it she is going to be emotionally traumatized because of some bullshit her friend made up. We've been together for 10+ years and married for 3 and this all just seems ridiculous to me.

​If I get the SUV AITA?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Whole lotta bad relationships in this thread.

Dude with gaslighting girlfriend, NTA and loving run. Find someone who gives no shits how you fold your laundry (gently caress at least you wash your own poo poo!)

Gal with rear end in a top hat righty, NTA and also run. Find our what woman he's dating next and warn her that he doesn't think she's a human being.

Parents with texting driving teen, coulda been handled a bit better (love the three month suspension idea) but also gently caress people that text and drive. It's ridiculously dangerous and I doubt "everyone is doing it" or we'd all be dead. Don't mess around with two tons of steel (nicely painted plastic?)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

chemtrail huffer posted:

No, you don't need to respect his belief that your gender is inferior, dump that rear end in a top hat

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Propaniac posted:

this has so much power

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

No, you don't need to respect his belief that your gender is inferior, dump that rear end in a top hat

But he's such a perfect partner in every way except for believing I am a person who should be allowed agency or probably any human rights!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hes just upset because women voted to kill nazis

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Yeah that’s somebody trying out a Nathan fielder routine lol

E: whoops I meant the illiterate courier business

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 10, 2019

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling a bunch of kids to stop wasting money on watching Endgame in the theater back to back to back?

I was in concession line af my local theater a few weeks ago, and a group of 5 teenagers were being noisy beyond belief. I overheard one kid say he couldn't wait to see Endgame again so he could help it topple Avatar. I asked how many times he had seen it, and his group replied "3rd time today."

I said "just imagine if instead of spending 10 or more bucks everytime you went and saw Endgame, you donated to a homeless shelter, animal shelter, cure for cancer research organization. Hell, you could even save for your own college fund instead of helping a super filthy rich company who has already made a ton of movie on the film beat another slightly less super filthy rich company (I keep reading Avatar is owned by Disney, but it wasn't at the time it came out).

They got angry and moved to another concession line.

AITA?

Note 1: they could have been older than teenagers. I'm a terrible judge of age. I was just guessing based on how they were acting and kind of rough housing.

Note 2: I had seen Endgame opening weekend. I see every comic book movie as soon as I can to avoid spoilers.

Note 3: I was in the theater to see Rocketman that day

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

chemtrail huffer posted:

I don't want to lose you honey, I just don't think you're a real person or my equal in any way, or deserving of basic human rights. We're still good, right?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Rat parents are going to make for a great sequel to Willard

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

AITA for letting my daughter start a round of 15+ needles instead of telling the truth?

quote:

I have joint custody of my daughter with my ex-girlfriend. My daughter is 3 but nonverbal. I have a relatively new puppy, only 1yr old. It's a Scottish terrier.

In my region, when you report a dog bite, that dog is put on a list. The first bite, they are quarantined in the owner's home for 10 days, with the second bite, they are quarantined in the owner's home for 30 days (or in some cases, outside the home in the care of others), and the third bite, is, well, unfortunately the end of the dog.

When I first got my dog, she bit a friend who reported it. Two weeks later, another bite was reported, but this time by a stranger at a dog park. My dog is up to date on all vaccinations, I have rabies certificate, etc. She was a puppy, though, and still learning the difference between a play bite and a real bite. I was ordered to undergo training and I did so.

Four days ago I had my daughter over and the dog bit her. Broke skin on nose. I brought her to the hospital because I worry about infection, etc. It wasn't a bad bite, she was playing with the dog and she fell over. This is my dog's cue to start licking the face and I guess it went a little overboard and she nipped.

The hospital asked about the identity of the dog and I lied and said it was a stranger's dog who ran off. I didn't want my dog to get her third strike, so I lied. I guess the procedure is to start prophylaxis treatment on my daughter and it's apparently 15-20 needles to start over the span of a couple of weeks. Daily hospital visits. If the dog was rabid, it's even more, but I know my dog's medical history. Instead of telling the truth, I'm having my daughter undergo unnecessary (but still safe) treatment for something she won't ever get.

Was I the rear end in a top hat for lying? I love my daughter but a relatively minor inconvenience is worth less than the life of my pet. My dog isn't violent or anything, that's just how she plays.

:murder:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

chemtrail huffer posted:

AITA for letting my daughter start a round of 15+ needles instead of telling the truth?

:murder:

OMG both the dog and the owner should be euthanized.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

therobit posted:

OMG both the dog and the owner should be euthanized.

Please, let’s not go crazy. Just the owner is fine.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, the dog is fine, or would be with proper training. Dogs don't bite that much, let alone hard enough to break the skin unless an owner is seriously loving up somewhere.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Please, let’s not go crazy. Just the owner is fine.

This dog has 3 documented bites against humans. The first one was bad enough that even though the person was a friend of OP's, they still reported it to authorities. I guaran-drat-tee there are a bunch of other bites that are not documented, especially since the OP does not think a bite requiring medical attention for HIS DAUGHTER is a big deal. It's sad that it has to come to that but the dog bites people and has learned that that's an OK thing to do.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

PetraCore posted:

They're insane and husband doesn't realize it because he was raised by these people. When they die their floorboards will be peeled back to reveal the giant psychic rat king they worship. Hope that helps.

Is the idea of a giant psychic rat king from somewhere in particular? Sounds really familiar but I can't place it.

Either that or we're both picking up on Timothy's dark powers, idk.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Telemaze posted:

Is the idea of a giant psychic rat king from somewhere in particular? Sounds really familiar but I can't place it.

My first thought is the psychic rat collective from planescape, but I’m sure it’s been done in other places too

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

my dog keeps biting people but it's okay because he's vaccinated

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Telemaze posted:

The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

bell jar posted:

my dog keeps biting people but it's okay because he's vaccinated

I think this, much like the “my wife is interrupting my sleep schedule” post, is sort of reasonable if you take the OP totally at their word.

Which you absolutely should not do.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Telemaze posted:

There was some sort of giant rat king in the 'Night Shift' short by Stephen King, that I think controlled the other rats.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Propaniac posted:

Ooooooh boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
You need your own animal figurine army, you need cats.

e: ORRRRRRRRR in the alternative you can purposely do something to piss them off, secretly record it and post "Timothy" yelling at you to youtube.