Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SmokaDustbowl posted:

once I watched the movie soul plane when I was on mushrooms, and now every plane scene in a movie sends me into a crisis because the planes are always bigger on the inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

I'm not surprised that the kind of dude who is still obsessed with hating Star Citizen almost 7 years later is also the kind of dude who is mad about Twilight almost 14 years later. The teenage girls who grew up fantasizing about Jacob and Edward in high school are entering their 30s and Fashionable Jorts is still chortling to himself about how those vapid underaged females read and enjoyed The Wrong Kind Of Genre Fiction back when George W Bush was president and the PS2 was still the most recent Sony console.

Of course this is the subforum that gave us a 'recap" of a thread whose OP clocks in at over 18,000 words so I wouldn't expect being able to process things in a timely manner to be one of their strengths.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

you could quote any post from the pen goon thread and I'd laugh. Motherfuckers spending hundreds of dollars on pens lol

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Crocoswine posted:

you could quote any post from the pen goon thread and I'd laugh. Motherfuckers spending hundreds of dollars on pens lol

I tried to start an offsite pen club and called it the Pittsburgh Pen Goons, but I got a cease-and-desist letter from guy named Mario Lemieux. I could tell the signature at the bottom of the letter was just printed on, so I laughed and threw it away. A few days later, some French-Canadian guys with missing teeth came to my door. I asked them if they were goons and they said "yes" so I let them in and they beat the poo poo out of me.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

I'm not surprised that the kind of dude who is still obsessed with hating Star Citizen almost 7 years later is also the kind of dude who is mad about Twilight almost 14 years later. The teenage girls who grew up fantasizing about Jacob and Edward in high school are entering their 30s and Fashionable Jorts is still chortling to himself about how those vapid underaged females read and enjoyed The Wrong Kind Of Genre Fiction back when George W Bush was president and the PS2 was still the most recent Sony console.

Of course this is the subforum that gave us a 'recap" of a thread whose OP clocks in at over 18,000 words so I wouldn't expect being able to process things in a timely manner to be one of their strengths.

why did you bother coming back to this website you clearly despise

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Normal

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I tried to start an offsite pen club and called it the Pittsburgh Pen Goons, but I got a cease-and-desist letter from guy named Mario Lemieux. I could tell the signature at the bottom of the letter was just printed on, so I laughed and threw it away. A few days later, some French-Canadian guys with missing teeth came to my door. I asked them if they were goons and they said "yes" so I let them in and they beat the poo poo out of me.

Serves you right for not using the correct challenge.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Alaois posted:

why did you bother coming back to this website you clearly despise

Guy Mann parachute?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sleeveless posted:

This from a man who had a forums meltdown about Steak-Umms.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

he does have a point re: grown rear end men still being mad about twilight tho.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm still mad about Twilight because it left me violently ill and puking at the theater, due to playing a drinking game I made up by myself to get through the movie while on a date

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Saying Twilight is bad is not exactly the same as being mad about it, to be honest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I'm still mad about Twilight because it left me violently ill and puking at the theater, due to playing a drinking game I made up by myself to get through the movie while on a date

So your date held their liquor better than you?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

he does have a point re: grown rear end men still being mad about twilight tho.

I used to get really upset that people think I look like Edward, but he's Batman now so I got the last laugh. :smuggo:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I guess he was batman then too, but not the cool one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i really like him, hes great

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So your date held their liquor better than you?

That didn't parse right, I was the only person playing the made up drinking game

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Paladinus posted:

Saying Twilight is bad is not exactly the same as being mad about it, to be honest.

fair in this case, but if you think there are not still men mad about twilight you must have missed the batman announcement

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
edwaed

nankeen has a new favorite as of 12:35 on Jan 25, 2020

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
never ruin anyone's paid movie experience. the cinema is a sacred space

nankeen has a new favorite as of 12:34 on Jan 25, 2020

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

It's okay to enjoy trashy things and teenage girls aren't as stupid and impressionable as people seem to think they are. They don't need a bunch of white knights telling them thing is bad for them. No one ever seems to care about the media that's allegedly a bad influence on teenage boys yet there's always some kind of moral panic over teenage girl schlock.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Regarding "fireworks gone wrong" gifs

oh dope posted:

Where's the Jesus Counter?

SpacePig posted:

I think it's called an altar.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i had to watch the first twilight movie multiple times, including as adult supervision for my cousins, and when edward first stripped to reveal his sparkling skin my six-year-old male cousin whispered "whoa... cool" and it remains one of the sweetest memories of my life

i wish i hadn't teased him about it for years but, i did

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Picnic Princess posted:

It's okay to enjoy trashy things and teenage girls aren't as stupid and impressionable as people seem to think they are. They don't need a bunch of white knights telling them thing is bad for them. No one ever seems to care about the media that's allegedly a bad influence on teenage boys yet there's always some kind of moral panic over teenage girl schlock.

D&D was teenaged boys, so was Mortal Kombat, so was Doom and metal music, there's been plenty of media that has purportedly a negative influence for teenaged boys.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

D&D was teenaged boys, so was Mortal Kombat, so was Doom and metal music, there's been plenty of media that has purportedly a negative influence for teenaged boys.

Yeah but girls didn't give a poo poo, that was all boomers and tipper gore.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Krankenstyle posted:

Yeah but girls didn't give a poo poo, that was all boomers and tipper gore.

Some girls did and do like D&D, but for a very long time were pushed away from it, most importantly by the male player base and the way it was marketed.

It's getting better but there's still a ways to go.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
d&d was for girls too, there's a reason the d&d chick tract has female protagonists. it taught boys DEVIL WORSHIP and it taught girls ELF WITCH, both one-way tickets to the path of unrighteousness

the criticism of twilight is that it depicts a textbook abusive relationship as an epic love story. i've always agreed with that criticism and honestly, although teenage girls aren't that impressionable, they're impressionable in some areas more than others and for some reason hosed-up romantic ideals seems to be one of those things that is very easily picked up (much easier than devil worship or even elf witch). the solution isn't to ban twilight, it's to balance it out with young adult fantasy that features healthy relationships so they have lots of positive role models to compare to the terrible ones in twilight - but that didn't happen, instead all the publishers went "the kids want sadomasochism! this is now the sadomasochist genre and we won't publish anything unless the boy is terrible, the more terrible the better, the children have spoken", and now fifteen years later the only way to reflect on the whole tragedy without reading a whole lot of very bad books is to study twilight, the stupid mess that sparked it all off

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Yeah, Twilight in reflection looks really awkward and yet kind of quaint, because it turns out that Twilight's 'abusive relationship' is really only the tip of the kind of abuses that are or were accepted in society up until we started having serious conversations about consent.

And well yeah, it made money, so 'Make it more like that guy!'

It's really a microcosm of the problems that came after it.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

nankeen posted:

i had to watch the first twilight movie multiple times, including as adult supervision for my cousins, and when edward first stripped to reveal his sparkling skin my six-year-old male cousin whispered "whoa... cool" and it remains one of the sweetest memories of my life

i wish i hadn't teased him about it for years but, i did
this is adorable.

I read the books as a way to bond/have something in common with my younger sisters and the leads' mutual fixation on each other would be insanely unhealthy IRL but (and maybe I wouldn't feel the same if I re-read them critically now as an adult) it always just read to me like normal dumb pre-teen girl wish fulfillment. It just happened to blow up huge. There are so so so many romance movies/raunchy romcoms/whatever where the male lead is at least as weird/creepy/obsessed as Edward was with Bella but nobody has ever sparked a huge furor over those

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

yeah what Torchlighter said (I think? I think you're agreeing with me, critical reading is apparently still not my strong suit). anyway that is my contribution to this, the something awful twilight saga discussion thread

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

also sorry we triggered you nankeen

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

also sorry we triggered you nankeen
it's ok, my triggers are innumerable and enigmatic

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

nankeen posted:

it's ok, my triggers are innumerable and enigmatic

Have we discovered the kwisatz haderach of millennials?

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

The Twilight movie was bad, but it was way better than the book. The movie at least had foreshadowing and pacing, while the book was "Love story love story love story love story EVIL VAMPIRES OUT OF NOWHERE the end."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Haschel Cedricson posted:

The Twilight movie was bad, but it was way better than the book. The movie at least had foreshadowing and pacing, while the book was "Love story love story love story love story EVIL VAMPIRES OUT OF NOWHERE the end."

That formula easily translates extremely well to the screen. At least if you throw George Clooney in there.

Outrail has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Jul 11, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I wouldn't say that Quentin Tarantino leering at Juliette Lewis & licking Salma Hayek's toes is a love story per se

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Haschel Cedricson posted:

That weird honeymoon part was one of the weirdest most hosed up things I've ever seen in a movie and I've watched Salo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Krankenstyle posted:

I wouldn't say that Quentin Tarantino leering at Juliette Lewis & licking Salma Hayek's toes is a love story per se

You're reading it wrong. Hayek was a second act foil to a forbidden romance between a young man on the wrong side of the law and a disapproving preacher's daughter. Vampires were just tacked on when the writers ran out of ideas. :suicide:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Krankenstyle posted:

You're just jealous you will never have a love as pure and all consuming as Tarantino has for feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
i thought tarantino had a foot thing because he's ethnically half-foot?