Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Lambert posted:

Well, at this point, there's still one final release of DLC to come later this month. But even if you don't pay anything, a few additional questlines have been added over the months (not that they're really worth playing).

I just played “One Really Really Bad Day” and it ruled, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most of the Lost Tales quests are good, and often pretty funny.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
They all are boring fetch quests that follow the same template over and over.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Much like your posting.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I've only played like two of the lost tales and they seem a cut above most of the more filler sidequests from the vanilla game. Like, in the one with the two brothers I thought it was a nice touch that you're given the option of getting the father's armor back, getting shoddier armor, buying both, or buying the shoddy one and stealing the nice one. And then when you get back to the brothers you can lie about having the nice armor and when the quest completes you get to keep it yourself.

And then, eventually, you can have sex with one or both of them :waycool:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I went to Castel Sant’Angelo today and it is my honor to report that there are cool asscreed weapons in the museum

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Deakul posted:

Origins definitely felt more like a labor of love than Odyssey in a lot of ways, the world was more alive and I really miss finding little lore tidbits to read.

I could talk paragraphs about the tonal legwork Origins does, especially in terms of how it narratively relates to death as a defining theme, but one of the best examples of control it exhibits is in the usage of Ezio's theme. In Odyssey it plays over the map screen, and in nearly every other game after the second it pops up all over the place in gameplay. In Origins they hold the card until the very end, when the symbol is revealed. And it's such a powerful use of the motif in an already incredible score that it lends it a weight it would have otherwise lacked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kM1Y5VLEd8

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

exquisite tea posted:

Much like your posting.

Where do I hand in my posing license?

Ainsley McTree posted:

I went to Castel Sant’Angelo today and it is my honor to report that there are cool asscreed weapons in the museum

They should check for DNA traces, Abstergo might be interested.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!
So I bought this game on launch, and got super into it, but then ultimately put it down because the game just didn't perform well on my PC. My PC speccs are
GPU: GTX 1080
CPU: i5-7600
Memory: 32gigs

I ran into an issue where I would go travel around in the ship and the game would pause, show the loading indicator in the bottom left hand corner for a bit, then go back to normal. That happened frequently enough to get annoying. I figured the game needed a SSD, and not a 7200 RPM HDD. From what I remember, it never happened when I was on the ground in an island though. Would buying another SSD for games fix this issue? I have a SSD for my OS and important programs, but don't put games on that drive.

Have they patched the game to give better performance since launch? I was getting 50+ FPS on either the highest or second to highest setting for 1080p, but the performance for 2k and 4k was poor. I highly doubt it, but any chance its better now?

I'm asking because the season pass is on sale and it has AC3 remastered in it. It's supposed to be playable in 4k but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it to see if it was worth picking it up or not.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm liking Syndicate for the most part, but holy poo poo those Karl Marx missions were just unfun and often broken garbage. The one where you got to throw nitroglycerin crates at Templars for full sync was the only one I enjoyed.

The final mission in that chain was so broken it was amazing. On my first try, I somehow screwed up and got noticed trying to remove one of the Blighter troublemakers in the crowd, so Marx got shot and I failed the mission. I'm not sure what I did wrong there (maybe I should've knocked out some of the nearby cops beforehand, or maybe the other nearby Blighter saw me) but fair enough, poo poo happens. So I reloaded my checkpoint and went back to the crowd, only for three Blighters to immediately beeline for Marx and kill him without anyone ever noticing I was there. The next time out, that same thing happened except that the cops in the area actually bothered to do their job properly and killed the three ruffians. That even counted towards my mission completion, so at this point I was at "Kidnap 3/4 troublemakers" and all I had to do now was remove the last Blighter from the premises.

I ended up running around for a couple of minutes to locate a hiding spot because the full sync objective required me to hide a body in a hiding spot (a carriage doesn't count, I tried that with the first guy on my first attempt), and when I finally shoved the last Blighter in a hay cart... nothing happened. No new mission objectives popping up, just nothing. Going back to Marx triggered a cutscene and the next part of the mission, with Blighters attacking Marx and you having to defend him. I killed the Blighters in the area with some help from the cops, only for four Blighters to spawn on the stage behind me and attack Marx. I killed three of them and was still fighting the last one when another cutscene hit. First, the same scene that played when the Blighters attacked played again, except all the Blighters were dead (if this was intentional, it certainly didn't look that way), and this was then followed by the mission ending cutscene.

I have absolutely no idea what went on in all of that. The mission scripting definitely broke on that first reload, and then when the three Blighters got killed by cops everything went to hell and by that point the game was basically flipping its desk over while shouting "I DON'T KNOW, JUST loving DO SOMETHING!"

Assassin's Creed mission gameplay at its finest, ladies and gentlemen.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

UtahIsNotAState posted:

So I bought this game on launch, and got super into it, but then ultimately put it down because the game just didn't perform well on my PC. My PC speccs are
GPU: GTX 1080
CPU: i5-7600
Memory: 32gigs

I ran into an issue where I would go travel around in the ship and the game would pause, show the loading indicator in the bottom left hand corner for a bit, then go back to normal. That happened frequently enough to get annoying. I figured the game needed a SSD, and not a 7200 RPM HDD. From what I remember, it never happened when I was on the ground in an island though. Would buying another SSD for games fix this issue? I have a SSD for my OS and important programs, but don't put games on that drive.

Have they patched the game to give better performance since launch? I was getting 50+ FPS on either the highest or second to highest setting for 1080p, but the performance for 2k and 4k was poor. I highly doubt it, but any chance its better now?

I'm asking because the season pass is on sale and it has AC3 remastered in it. It's supposed to be playable in 4k but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it to see if it was worth picking it up or not.

Unfortunately, this game is pretty severely CPU limited which I suspect has to do with the number of draw calls it makes through a D3D11 driver. There are some settings you can turn down from Ultra for easy wins like Volumetric Clouds and Fog, but for the most part you'll never get a consistent 60 at 4K, which this benchmark backs up.

It gets worse however, as the in-game FPS limiter doesn't work and seems to actually cap at N+1, guaranteeing that you get an extra frame each second, causing a microstutter. I'd much rather run at a consistent 30 FPS at Ultra instead of 40-80 FPS at any setting, but unfortunately the game's implementation of the FPS limiter makes this impossible to enjoy. Even at a consistent 30 though, there's no per-object or camera motion blur, which makes the low frame rate even more obvious compared to other titles running at 30 like RDR or Uncharted.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Unless they fixed this later limiting the FPS to 30 also makes the menus run in agonisingly slow motion for whatever reason

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Am I right in assuming a crit-chance build is probably the best all-around one? I'm coming back to the game having not played since the first chapter of the first DLC came out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Am I right in assuming a crit-chance build is probably the best all-around one? I'm coming back to the game having not played since the first chapter of the first DLC came out.

Crit chance and to a slightly lesser extent crit damage at full health is incredibly mega-OP, especially with the axe from the 2nd Atlantis episode that makes crit chance = elemental buildup.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The more I play of Syndicate, the more frustrated I get with the constant glitches and quest design that goes out of its way to be as annoying as possible especially in terms of the full sync objectives. I haven't even bothered to really care about full sync since chapter 4, but I'm working my way through the Last Maharaja DLC missions at the moment and the optional objectives in those aren't even vaguely pretending to be anything but total bullshit.

- Mission 1: Beat the Maharaja in a target-shooting contest by hitting ten bottles. Even if I manage to hit nine in 20 seconds, the tenth is literally out of my gun's range and I can barely see it. You're not allowed to get closer either, so I'm not sure what I was expected to do in all of that.

- Mission 2: Hire 3 Rooks to help you at each of the two ambush sites. Not too bad on paper, except for some reason there are only four Rooks in the general area of each ambush site. At the carriage ambush location, the first Rook I hired did not count so I was walking around with three Rooks and the game refused to acknowledge it, and the last one was being attacked by two brutes so he died before I could even pull out my gun (I also failed the actual ambush once because Henry died to a brute almost instantly). The train area had two Rooks under attack and they both died almost instantly as well, and when I got to the quest item I froze in place and had to reload the checkpoint.

- Mission 3: Stay undetected as you carry an NPC through a horde of Templars before he bleeds out! You can ask the Maharaja to attack the enemies in your stead, but we've established that AI allies can't fight for poo poo so you have to constantly put the wounded NPC down and take out the nearest Templar. Then you fail the objective anyway because some rear end in a top hat your eagle vision didn't show sneaks up behind you right near the end, alerting everyone.

Can't wait to see what fun they've got lined up for me next! Thankfully I am not a completionist so none of this matters, but even if you're insane enough to go for 100% it'd be nice if the game wasn't actively trying to gently caress you over.

edit: Mission 4: Kill four Templars on a moving train, while on the roof of a moving carriage. I hosed it up because I was trying to get fancy and shoot the explosives, but that didn't seem too bad. The second objective is to "Loot the gold from the Templar thief" and I don't even know what that means. I guess I was supposed to let the Templar hiding in the carriage at the end steal the gold, but why would I have done that when the game was telling me to shoot him? I assumed he'd kill me if I didn't shoot him!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 13, 2019

CreedThoughts
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks, I've never owned a refrigerator

When I had played both originally, I thought Syndicate was much better than Unity. Replayed them both a few months ago, really enjoyed Unity (had only played the pre-patched game prior) and could not even get half way though Syndicate. It is a messy game with lots of unfun activities and missions, although I like the characters and setting.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Doc M posted:

I'm liking Syndicate for the most part, but holy poo poo those Karl Marx missions were just unfun and often broken garbage. The one where you got to throw nitroglycerin crates at Templars for full sync was the only one I enjoyed.
I just brought my Rooks. They break the game like you wouldn't believe - it SEEMS like the basic narrative was built around them, but none of the missions account for their presence. You can have them kill pretty much everyone with no repercussions.

The water also acts as a hiding spot in this instance, which is neat.

Doc M posted:

- Mission 1: Beat the Maharaja in a target-shooting contest by hitting ten bottles. Even if I manage to hit nine in 20 seconds, the tenth is literally out of my gun's range and I can barely see it. You're not allowed to get closer either, so I'm not sure what I was expected to do in all of that.
You don't need to hit all 10 to win.

Djimma
Aug 4, 2017
Question that google can't seem to answer: can you finish the Cult storyline while missing a cultist? Okytos glitched with no way to go back. I've finished the game before and know that the Sages will point to the Ghost but is it possible to unlock her while missing Okytos?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Doc M posted:

Jesus christ game, I just wanted to kill this... what is the singular form of phylakes? Phylake? Phylax?

I learned by accident that there is a cheesy way to kill any phylake in the game:

They are as fragile against fall damage as any random enemy in the game; lure them to the cliff or edge or roof and kick them down. They do this "oh gently caress I slipped" animation and crack their head open when they hit the ground. Insta-kill, works even against the LVL40 superdudes at the desert. Some of them are kinda annoying to kite to any place with suitable location, though.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 15, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Deakul posted:

Origins definitely felt more like a labor of love than Odyssey in a lot of ways, the world was more alive and I really miss finding little lore tidbits to read.

One thing I liked was how riddles added to the world. They made you appreciate some hand-placed unique stuff in the world. They gave you directions. In Odyssey, riddles are written with an assumption that you chase them immediately, you're given directions from where you've found them.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

fuf posted:

I guess it was their way of dealing with the classic open world cognitive dissonance between an urgent main plot and a bunch of relatively trivial side activities.

Fallout 4 was the worst example of this. Oh my young child has been kidnapped? Sure lemme just collect 5 watermelons real quick.

This makes me appreciate Fallout 3 retroactively. It's probably the worst game in the series but it's the only one apart from 1 that has your motivations straight. You are 18-year old dude abandoned by his father. It would make sense if you look for him. It would make sense if you don't. You can play as any character going from there. In Fallout 2 you transform from a tribal into a master hacker wielding laser minigun but for some reason, you still supposed to care about your little village. In Fallout New Vegas you're relentless determinator - the game just assumes that surviving a bullet to the head would make you want to catch a thousand more bullets with your head for 500 caps you're promised for delivery. Fallout 4 makes you care for your child, but you get sidetracked so often that your child is an old man by the time you get to find him.

Both Origins and Odyssey are fine in that regard. Bayek is an Antique Cop who's got involved in a great conspiracy, his wife can take care of herself so it makes sense he might want revenge or he might help people. Eagle bearer is a mercenary, the war is going on forever - no real reason to hurry.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

ilitarist posted:

This makes me appreciate Fallout 3 retroactively. It's probably the worst game in the series but it's the only one apart from 1 that has your motivations straight. You are 18-year old dude abandoned by his father. It would make sense if you look for him. It would make sense if you don't. You can play as any character going from there. In Fallout 2 you transform from a tribal into a master hacker wielding laser minigun but for some reason, you still supposed to care about your little village. In Fallout New Vegas you're relentless determinator - the game just assumes that surviving a bullet to the head would make you want to catch a thousand more bullets with your head for 500 caps you're promised for delivery. Fallout 4 makes you care for your child, but you get sidetracked so often that your child is an old man by the time you get to find him.

Both Origins and Odyssey are fine in that regard. Bayek is an Antique Cop who's got involved in a great conspiracy, his wife can take care of herself so it makes sense he might want revenge or he might help people. Eagle bearer is a mercenary, the war is going on forever - no real reason to hurry.

Is Fallout 4 worth playing? I got it for free from some deal or another, but never bothered with it since I recall it had bad reviews.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Is Fallout 4 worth playing? I got it for free from some deal or another, but never bothered with it since I recall it had bad reviews.
It's not that bad. But it really wasn't worth a 5 year wait.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

like the 3, its fine and it has tons of mods that make it more enjoyable.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Definitely install Caliente's Beautiful Bodies.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

I just picked up this game last week after spending a couple hours getting out of the tutorial first island a long time ago. I'm really liking it and having a fun time playing Barbie.I wanted something that was practical for the time and still loud as gently caress:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Fallout 4 is a good game. It has issues (I didn't like having to play the sims to ensure I had enough aluminium and glue to keep my armour repaired) and the main plotline is a wet fart, but there's some really good writing, the game world is well made, and frankly for as much as people like to complain about Bethesda's design choices, Witcher 3 is the only open world RPG that's managed to out class them - and that's by not doing what they are doing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah fallout 4 is fine, if you already have it for free, it's worth playing. I never finished it (I think a quest bugged and I just lost the will to fix it) but I enjoyed the time I spent with it.

I would just say, don't feel obligated to gently caress around with all the settlement stuff; iirc there's no real reward for engaging with it, so if you don't find it fun, don't burn yourself out doing it, because there's quite a bit of it to do

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I posted in another thread that FO4 is a fantastic glitch engine with some gameplay elements tacked on. Some hilarious, insane poo poo will happen while you're playing. Just keep in mind the main story sucks and roam across the countryside building gay bars, shooting mutated poo poo, and collecting every piece of trash you find.

I like it a bunch, but whether console or PC you'll wanna add mods from the get-go - especially carry weight/free scrap ones so you don't have to decide between a sweet new gun or that solid-lead telephone you're carrying so you can make a generator in Bumfuck Hollow settlement.

e: also send Preston to the settlement furthest away from everything and never talk to him again

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
new DLC hits tomarrow i think. still havent played any of the dlc or beat the base game, was waiting for all the dlc to hit.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I don't think so, no. It's super boring and there's not really anything that funny in it. Mostly you just run into unfinished areas and stuff that looks interesting but now it's just a place for raiders

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Yes, if you know what you're getting in. It's a huge game where there's some adventure every 100 meters. The combat is fine, there's some depth to character development and level design is good. Just don't expect to get a good story with choice and consequence - there are glimpses of that but mostly in Far Harbor expansion. And as usual with Bethesda, the game looks and sounds good

From gameplay perspective, I adore Survival mode they've added later. Mostly it means you have to drink, eat and sleep as well as cure infections and whatever. More importantly, it turns off fast travel and saving, you only have autosave when you sleep in bed. This turns the game into a hardcore RPG experience and also makes you appreciate the world much more: you no longer stroll around the world doing whatever you want but instead learn the lay of the land, think very hard about whether you're going to engage that specific random encounter and so on. Settlement building which has almost no purpose in a vanilla game becomes mandatory, as you can't teleport wherever you want to sell loot and rest, you need those settlements to drop your loot and sleep, and you need those all over the map. As its a Bethesda game you'll still get bullshit deaths from glitches and physics but it makes your choices much more meaningful. I wouldn't recommend this mode for a first time player cause you need some meta-knowledge to understand what you're doing (surprisingly, Charisma becomes extremely important in that mode).

But I would recommend cranking up difficulty to max level cause it makes you think hard about your equipment and skill choices. Unlike previous Bethesda games, this difficulty doesn't just double HP and damage of your enemies. Usually it means that, say, stealth becomes less useful as you can no longer one-shot enemy from stealth and thus you'd better get combat skills instead. You can still one-shot weaker enemies but also meet more unique bosses, each one brings some unique equipment.

The most important recommendation about that and other Bethesda game is to stop being completionist. All those boring mindless quests exist to be boring and mindless, it's something you do when you're passing by or starve for resources. A good indication that a quest is its own reward is a special pipboy animation. Don't bother doing other quests just because someone tells you that [raiders] from [south-west] stole my [favourite books]. This also means that you'd probably want to skip Minutemen faction.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just play New Vegas tho

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

precision posted:

Just play New Vegas tho

Honestly I can't get over the badness of the previous generation of the game engine.

e: I'd also disagree the game world is boring. Every location has a story to go along with it, there's a lot of love that's been poured in to that map.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 16, 2019

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait, why should I have picked the lady instead of manbun boy? I think maybe the reveal might have been better but does it change anything? Is she a better voice actress or is this just ME weirdness again

Also FO4 is not a good game in the least but it is a very satisfying garbage collection simulator where you can recycle and rob places, so if you enjoy that and some light base building, you might like it

Everything else about it is mediocre to poo poo

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
There's no difference, both characters share pretty much all lines, there are no gameplay differences. Alexios has the better voice actor, but both acting jobs aren't amazing.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

corn in the bible posted:

I don't think so, no. It's super boring and there's not really anything that funny in it. Mostly you just run into unfinished areas and stuff that looks interesting but now it's just a place for raiders

I’m in the no camp too. The world and stories are much more bland and joyless than New Vegas and it doesn’t have the novelty of playing a first person Fallout 3 at the time it was released going for it. Also, like I said in the 76 thread, the building/trash collecting is boooooooring and the bottom third of the game is gated behind doing it, so even if you never want to engage in it after the training mission you will eventually be forced.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Fallout 4 is way worse than 3 was, imo

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Fallout 4 sucks rear end, quests were tedious, there's barely any settlements so you have to create most of them yourself, settlement building was loving horrible and tedious and I'm mad that I only found out about those mods that let you automate that poo poo years later, exploration feels worse to me since anything you find can just be made anyways so you're just scavenging for boring materials all the time, and the story from what little I remember of it was surprisingly worse than Fallout 3.

Yeah, the combat is a bit better, Boston is cool, and it does have some neat characters but it all requires you to engage with an otherwise soulless game that was created by a people that have clearly never played a video game before.

Maybe some of the DLC helped and maybe there's other mods to fix things but these are my impressions from playing it about a year after it came out and it's my least played Beth game at a measly 24 hours.

Lambert posted:

There's no difference, both characters share pretty much all lines, there are no gameplay differences. Alexios has the better voice actor, but both acting jobs aren't amazing.

:monocle:
Wow is that a loving hot take that's in no way even close to correct.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Lambert posted:

Alexios has the better voice actor, but both acting jobs aren't amazing.

Wrong on both counts