Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling cashier that wasn’t the girls credit card?

Throwaway because husband told me I was TA and want to know before I get home and argue. On phone format is bad.

I was in a higher end department store today (rhymes with loomingtales) and happened to end up next to two teenage aged girls while shopping. One of the girls had picked out a pair of VERY expensive boots and they were both fawning over them. Second girl must have looked at price tag and asks boots girl if she’s really gonna spend that much on boots. Girl with boots says something along the lines of “it’s fine I have my dads credit card I’m not paying ” which instantly caught my attention because THATS NOT HER CARD. I’ve told my son multiple times he’s never allowed to use my card so I’m interested to see how this girl thinks she’s going to get away with fraud but had split up from the girls at this point because they had found something else.

We end up at the same register (me behind) and I see her total hit well over four digits. The girl is about to swipe her card when I decide that I can’t let her get away with something like this and someone has to parent this kid if no one else will. I tell cashier that isn’t her card but her father’s and I’m not sure she has permission. Girl and friend turn and glare at me giving me possibly the dirtiest look I’ve ever seen. I swear this girl was going to throw a tantrum right there, I don’t think she was ever told no.

Girl tells cashier her father gave her the card to shop with because it’s the stores credit card and it gives him the points. Now that I’ve pointed out it wasn’t hers cashier tells her she can’t use that card. Girl tries to show ID to prove they have the same last name ( yeah that will help) and I tell her it’s still fraud. Girl says it’s not fraud because she has permission and tells me to mind my own business. I tell her that it is my business that she’s doing something illegal she needs to pay with her own card or I call the cops. Girl is pissed now and people are glaring at me. She uses her own card and leaves crying. Cashier looks mad at me and I tell my husband when I get home only for him to agree I was in the wrong.

So Reddit, ATIA?

Honestly, if that girl is telling the truth, loving call the cops. Deflect her little Karenameha bonkers power move.

Also in what world are you seeing the name on a credit card like this without being uncomfortably close to someone you loving weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
18 months of dating and 7 months of living together and he still hasn't goaded her into giving up her religious compulsions? Come on man, are you even trying???

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

teen witch posted:

Also in what world are you seeing the name on a credit card like this without being uncomfortably close to someone you loving weirdo.

You might need glasses

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Barudak posted:

Jesus got three extra holes though?

they give you a dont gently caress crucifixion holes pamphlet when your loved one gets a crucifixion

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I (35M) recently found out my wife (39F) has been lying about where she is at night.

quote:

Sorry for the wall of text, this is ongoing and I'm still processing all of this and I'm just going to write everything I can.

Quick background, my wife & I have been together for over 10 years and we have 2 little kids (both under 5).

About 6 months ago she started going out with her friends much more frequently than she had previously. She went from 1 night a week to around 3-4 nights a week. I didn't think anything of because she has always liked going out and now with having the kids I can understand her needing to blow off some steam more often. I didn't start to think something was going on until she started to come home later and later each time. Several times I caught her getting home just before 5am. I get up for work at 5:15am so she assumed I would still be sleeping and not notice. When I confronted her about it she just said she was too drunk to drive so she slept it off at "friend she was out with that night"'s house. Sounded iffy but I wasn't about to get mad at her for not drinking and driving so I let it go. Actually I told her I was proud she was being responsible for a change. I ignored my suspicions and just accepted her answer.

Fast forward to last month. We are home having a normal Tuesday night, when she suddenly needs to run over to her friend's house. Her friend is going thru a bad divorce and she says that she is scared her ex is going to do something to her so she needs to go over there for support. This is around 530pm. I don't think anything of it and say "just call me if he shows up and I'll come right over". Hours go by without hearing from her. I text her and get no response. It's now 11:30 and I still haven't heard from her so now I'm starting to get really worried that something has happened with the ex. I call and get VM. Now I'm freaking out. I had just gotten a new phone so I didn't have all my contacts on it so I couldn't find her friend's # to try calling her. That's when I remembered I could get her info from our cell phone records. I login to go thru the history to find her # and while I am searching I keep seeing a number I don't recognize popup in the logs. The main reason it stood out was because the call times were extremely long, like avg call to other numbers is 10-15 mins, the avg for this number was like 1-2 hours. Then I see that this is the # she was texting with right before she needed to leave to run to her friend's house. I do a quick lookup of the # and it's some guy I've never met. I instantly go from worried to pissed off. I call her phone non-stop for a good 5 mins. She still doesn't answer but she does finally text me back. I tell her to call me right away. She doesn't. 10 mins go by and then she calls. I ask her where she is and she says she is just leaving her friend's house. I tell her I know she is lying and she freaks out and hangs up. When she gets home we have a huge fight about it. She's been drinking and I'm furious so the fighting isn't getting us anywhere so I leave and go sleep in the guest bed.

The next day I tell her I can't be married to a cheater so I'm filing for a divorce and she freaks out. She comes clean about lying to me but says she isn't having an affair. She just has a new group of friends that she knew I wouldn't approve of so she was hiding it. I don't believe her but I can't prove anything and nothing she says is gonna change my mind so we agree to a trial separation. In an effort to not disrupt the kids lives we decide that I will stay in the guest room until I find my new place. The next 2 weeks are a blur of non-stop crying (her & I) & talking (we were never really good at communicating so this is new). We discuss the things that lead us to where we are and what we both could've done differently to avoid it getting to this point. Those 2 weeks were the most we had ever opened up to each other verbally and it really brought us closer than we had been in awhile. We agree to put it behind us and to try to work on our marriage with a caveat, I don't want her seeing/talking to this "group of friends" anymore and no more lies. She agrees but says they all already bought tickets to an upcoming concert and she still wants to go. Like an idiot I agree to it.

The days leading up to the concert are great. Like some of the best days we've had together in a long time. Then the day of the concert comes and I'm emotionally a wreak. Here I am telling my wife to go hang out with some guy that I'm pretty sure she was having an affair with a month ago. I have a rough night trying to deal with my anxiety about the whole thing but I still didn't want to ruin her concert so I didn't call/text her at all.

The next day I send her a text just to confirm that she still wants to work on things and that she is done with that group. She confirms and everything seems fine. I text her a little later to see if a package was delivered(she works from home) and get no response. It is a time sensitive thing so I text her again like an hr later, still nothing. I figure she must be napping because she was out late at the concert so rather than bother her I decide to just check our security cameras to answer my question. Much to my surprise I see that she's not napping, she's showered gotten dressed and left the house. She is supposed to be working so she never leaves for more than 15-20 mins. She was gone for almost 3 hours. I'm freaking out but also trying to convince myself that she had an appointment or something that I forgot about. When I get home I see that she isn't dressed up anymore, she is back to wearing her PJs. I ask her if she went anywhere today and she says she went to the pharmacy quick but that was it. I lose it! I showed her the security logs and asked her to explain and she just said I was being paranoid. Now I do have anxiety issues and I'm prone to thinking negatively so I start questioning her as a way to talk thru my anxiety and convince myself that I am over reacting. Rather than try to talk me thru it she gets very defensive and accuses me of spying on her and taking away her privacy. We fight all night, I ask her a question "What are you doing at the pharmacy for 3 hours", she deflects by saying I'm being crazy and I need to see a Dr. to deal with these issues I'm having.

This morning I texted her asking her to come clean and to my surprise she does. She says she forgot her wallet in one of their cars so she went to pick it up. She lied about it because she knew I would be mad that she had to see them again, but she didn't have a choice.

I want to believe her and work on things but she just keeps lying. I don't know what to do and I don't have anyone to talk to about it. Please help me process this.

Gotta remember this "already have concert tickets" line

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ad090 posted:

AITA for buying my own home though my husband owns his own?

Yeah I think I should probably print this one out and write DON'T BECOME THIS on it in big letters. I'm "lucky" in the sense that I've probably done more personalization in the house in the last few months since my wife passed than the few years we had it before hand, but the idea of sharing it with anyone else even long into the future just feels so wrong. Definitely don't want to be the guy essentially hiding a shrine for many years and being insistent that it doesn't change.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pinecone Sample posted:

I (35M) recently found out my wife (39F) has been lying about where she is at night.

Yeah that’s a good one.

Also like “hey I wanna meet these friends” never came up?? Put up or shut up on that lol.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Pinecone Sample posted:

quote:

Actually I told her I was proud she was being responsible for a change.

That line is intriguing.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Guess who's got more drama? Our good pal cake-puncher!

My girlfriend just broke down in tears and said that she wants a "normal relationship".

quote:

I'm currently living in a situation where I've been kicked out of my dad's house and I'm living with my girlfriend and her family. I started out living in their house with them, but tensions have grown higher between me and her dad and we recently reached an agreement where I can live in their pool house in their backyard. It's honestly been awesome so far. The pool house is practically an apartment, with electricity, a bathroom, plumbing, and a living area with a couch and TV and everything. Our agreement is that I don't have to pay actual rent, but I do have to help him with physical labor around the house when it needs to be done and my work acts as rent. I'm also not ever allowed in the actual house unless it's work-related and I'm on my own in supplying my own food and stuff like that, but it's still a sweet deal so far.

I've been living in the pool house since Friday and me and my girlfriend have had plenty of time together. I can still leave in my car whenever I please and we spent the whole weekend going out and spending time with one another, but just earlier this morning we were hanging out in the pool house and she was asking me about how long I plan to stay with them. I told her that I want to keep this up as long as possible since I'm comfortable in the pool house and I'm happy with not paying real rent. I thought that she'd be happy for me, but she broke down crying and she said that she wanted a "normal relationship". She said that her own boyfriend shouldn't be living in her family's pool house and she doesn't want things to play out like this forever.

I kept trying to comfort her, but nothing I said could get her to calm down and she just ran inside her house still crying. I really don't know what to think of that and I'm also really worried about the state of our relationship. We've been together for roughly two and a half months and I know this has been hard on both of us, but I have a good thing going right now and I want to keep it going. How should I go about figuring out my girlfriend's issues and helping to make things better with her?

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 16, 2019

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Pinecone Sample posted:

This guy is talking himself into believing all the poo poo she's shovelling. The "group" just happens to share the same number. Weird.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I think I should probably print this one out and write DON'T BECOME THIS on it in big letters. I'm "lucky" in the sense that I've probably done more personalization in the house in the last few months since my wife passed than the few years we had it before hand, but the idea of sharing it with anyone else even long into the future just feels so wrong. Definitely don't want to be the guy essentially hiding a shrine for many years and being insistent that it doesn't change.

There's a grieving process, and it's important to remember that it's a process. Don't feel you need to rush back to "normal" or beat yourself up for things you can't do yet; the main thing is to be aware of yourself and pay attention if you get stuck.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

LadyPictureShow posted:

My girlfriend just broke down in tears and said that she wants a "normal relationship".

Lmao @ I thought she'd be happy!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My girlfriend [33F] is upset that I [31M] am considering going out Friday night with a friend who is visiting. She can’t go out due to her religious beliefs. Don’t know what to do.

My girlfriend and I have been dating for 18 months, and living together for 7 of those months. She is a modern orthodox jew and I am just your average jew. She moderately keeps the Sabbath and kosher. Meaning she doesn’t drive on Friday night-Saturday night and eats only kosher food. When she moved into my home we removed all my kitchen ware and replaced it so that they are kosher for her.

My girlfriend is already feeling anxious about this whole thing. She’s worried he’s going to mess up the kosher kitchen by mixing meat and dairy, or using the wrong forks. I assured her I would explain it all to him and give him plastic utensils for his stay.

I thought the relevant passage was something like "Don't cook a kid in it's mother's milk."

I just looked online and apparently it has been extrapolated to mean that the ideal kosher kitchen has two ovens, ranges, microwaves, dishwashers, and sinks. Two sets of silverware, pots, and spatulas. Milk and meat are antiparticles so that if a molecule of one touches the other it will annihilate any Jews caught in the blast radius.

If you can't afford two ranges, you're supposed to designate separate burners.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

OF COURSE he doesn't want to break up, that would mean he'd have to move from this cushy set up which he said was a good thing because he is extremely selfish. OF COURSE she wants a normal relationship because this is cake-puncher we're talking about here.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

LadyPictureShow posted:

See I knew the poolhouse was going to be a sweet gig

Why can't she be happy for me. "My boyfriend is our own Hostile Kato Kaelin and there's no traffic on the way to visit him"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
jesus I forgot this was a two month relationship in cakepuncher's story, holy poo poo what a psychopath.

'I've been in this relationship for like 60 days, why does she think it's weird that I want to bum in her family's house forever despite me constantly fighting with her dad???'

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I thought the relevant passage was something like "Don't cook a kid in it's mother's milk."

I just looked online and apparently it has been extrapolated to mean that the ideal kosher kitchen has two ovens, ranges, microwaves, dishwashers, and sinks. Two sets of silverware, pots, and spatulas. Milk and meat are antiparticles so that if a molecule of one touches the other it will annihilate any Jews caught in the blast radius.

Yup. Full kosher takes a lot of work, though it's not bad once you're used to it. Like most things like that the hard part is making it habit. Some things like separate ovens seem excessive, the main idea is to help avoid mistakes. With multiple people living together something you think is dairy might not always be dairy. I've had that issue with actual food allergies, and flat-out veto "we'll make two batches and leave the death out of this one".

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Bruceski posted:

Yup. Full kosher takes a lot of work, though it's not bad once you're used to it. Like most things like that the hard part is making it habit. Some things like separate ovens seem excessive, the main idea is to help avoid mistakes. With multiple people living together something you think is dairy might not always be dairy. I've had that issue with actual food allergies, and flat-out veto "we'll make two batches and leave the death out of this one".
Why would a benevolent God really want to make his followers live such a complicated existence?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Pinecone Sample posted:

So frustrating to read

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

Why would a benevolent God really want to make his followers live such a complicated existence?

Religion is so loving dumb, it's batshit crazy to me that it still has such a massive influence and power these days.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've bought a few new things myself, the bedroom I've been told is much more 'masculine' with the new linen, but there's still photos and all sorts about the place. I think I might have to set the place on fire or something as I really like the decor and I have no idea how any hypothetical gfs would react to it. Or more importantly, how I'd feel with sharing the place with anyone else who's not renting/etc.

I get the feeling that widow/ers are much more of a thing bundled up into late age rather than admitting young people can have to deal with it. Everyone's ok with a single mom/dad, but everyone gets akward when they they find out you have a late spouse.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Beachcomber posted:

I can confirm. I worked food service at a Jewish camp (no not that kind) one summer and if a meal had dairy we couldn't serve meat and vice versa. They also got fried chicken every Friday night and there was one kid who was just a walking collection of allergic reactions. Literally the only thing he was allow to eat were peas and a boiled, unseasoned, chicken breast.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Leon Einstein posted:

A significant amount of Judaism revolves around God setting rules, and various rabbis finding loopholes He didn't account for. For example, the Bible prohibits lighting a fire on the Sabbath and some sects have interpreted that to mean that turning on a light bulb is a violation of that command. Therefore, some among them invented devices that... well, I'll let this speak for itself.

http://www.kosherswitch.com/live/tech/how

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Serephina posted:

I get the feeling that widow/ers are much more of a thing bundled up into late age rather than admitting young people can have to deal with it. Everyone's ok with a single mom/dad, but everyone gets akward when they they find out you have a late spouse.

For sure, I think it's easier to just file that away in the 'I won't have to worry about that for 30+ years pile' despite the fact I'm the 3rd person I know who this has happened to before they're 40 and my wife also lost a long term boyfriend before we met.

My family have suggested maybe having someone in to rent the spare bedroom (I only made 1/2 the amount of money she did, and I live in a part of the country that's just generally overpriced. Yay.) but ugh, I dunno if I can do that with a random stranger. I've never lived on my own before, but it would feel weird bringing anyone she didn't know into her house.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

Because God is kinda tangential to Judaism. Christianity grew out of a cult and so is focused on belief and convincing others of that belief, with divine punishment for not believing. "A good person without Christ is not a good person," that sort of thing. Judaism has tribal origins so God is used to reinforce laws to keep the tribe together. "Our ways are not their ways."

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Einstein posted:

The god worshipped by the Jews is very clearly not benevolent.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

christmas boots posted:

A significant amount of Judaism revolves around God setting rules, and various rabbis finding loopholes He didn't account for. For example, the Bible prohibits lighting a fire on the Sabbath and some sects have interpreted that to mean that turning on a light bulb is a violation of that command. Therefore, some among them invented devices that... well, I'll let this speak for itself.

This is scrub tier, just get yourself a Shabbos goy.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Leon Einstein posted:

idk who told you YHWH is a benevolent god, lol

In Judaism, God is a tribalistic treaty-making god.
You do right by God, God keeps you out of the desert. This is especially true for the Orthodox.
That's how fishing line on a telephone pole around an entire neighborhood can make for a private domain. They are following the letter of the law of their agreement with God.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

christmas boots posted:

You know I try to respect different beliefs but lol this poo poo is so loving stupid.

I mean get a load of this

quote:

Halachically, your action is simply the movement of an isolated piece of plastic with no implications of causation.

This is some mega-stupid rules lawyer bullshit. Honestly it's even worse than those idiots who try to argue about the "Eye of the Needle" being some gate somewhere that a camel could easily fit through.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
It's worth noting that there isn't much agreement between Jews about what's allowed on Shabbat. Or on any other topic. Two Jews, three opinions.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

christmas boots posted:

My favorite parable is two Rabbis arguing over a fiddly bit of law, one makes a solid (but wrong) argument, the other just invokes divine intervention. "If I am right let this river flow backwards" sort of thing. It ends with God's voice booming down that the second Rabbi is right to which the first one says "stay out of this. You gave us the commandments, they're ours now. It's up to us to figure out what to do with them." And God left, happy that His children had surpassed Him.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

zakharov posted:

This is scrub tier, just get yourself a Shabbos goy.

Pretty sure you can’t hire a gentile to break sabbath for you.

Now if they do it of their own accord and at some point you just happen to give them a gift of cash, well who could find fault with such generosity?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Leon Einstein posted:

For some folks, religion gives them an excuse to be Weird As Hell that, for the sake of social expediency, most people will just accept.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

christmas boots posted:

That link is amazing, oh my YHWH

The Bramble fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 16, 2019

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

christmas boots posted:

Pretty sure you can’t hire a gentile to break sabbath for you.

Now if they do it of their own accord and at some point you just happen to give them a gift of cash, well who could find fault with such generosity?

I went down a rabbit hole of this and how it interacts with Alexa... According to some, "Alexa turn on the lights" is forbidden, but "Alexa it's dark in here." is ok.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Jewish Rules Lawerying is the best.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Hughlander posted:

I went down a rabbit hole of this and how it interacts with Alexa... According to some, "Alexa turn on the lights" is forbidden, but "Alexa it's dark in here." is ok.

Rabbi Hole

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

You know I try to respect different beliefs but lol this poo poo is so loving stupid.

I mean get a load of this

This is some mega-stupid rules lawyer bullshit. Honestly it's even worse than those idiots who try to argue about the "Eye of the Needle" being some gate somewhere that a camel could easily fit through.

it rules, more religions should be about playing I'm Not Touching You with a wrathful God

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xtal posted:

Rabbi Hole

:jewish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Leon Einstein posted:

benevolent God