Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lightningproof posted:

Thanks for the responses. Have dropped the cooler for now. I won't be streaming but I am going to be playing on a 4K TV, which might make some difference CPU-wise? Or am I entirely GPU-bound at that point?

Super duper GPU bound, yes. You probably wouldn't notice much of a difference dropping to a 3600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What do you want to spend? My go-to for a cheap setup is this:

DAC / Headphone amp: Schiit Fulla 2 ~$100
Speaker amp: SMSL SA-50 (or really any T-amp around 50w+ RMS / channel) ~$60
Speakers: Micca MB42X ~80

That'll sound infinitely better than any "computer speakers" you could possibly buy, and you'll have a nice headphone amp that includes a speaker preamp. If you don't need a nice headphone amp, you could save $100 by just running your sound card line out directly to the speaker amp.

edit: oh or you could switch the SA-50 for an AD-18 for another $60 or so, which would give you your headphone amp back, plus a remote, optical and bluetooth features and EQ!

Thank you for the write up that’s exactly what I was looking for!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

When I build my build this weekend outside of the case to test the mobo, cpu, ram, etc. should I just use the wraith cooler that comes with the CPU, or should I just connect my AIO cooler from the get-go?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zotix posted:

When I build my build this weekend outside of the case to test the mobo, cpu, ram, etc. should I just use the wraith cooler that comes with the CPU, or should I just connect my AIO cooler from the get-go?

Just build it inside the case. The only parts that are a pain to swap out are the CPU and Mobo and unless you've got compatible spares on hand you have no way to test if those in particular are the problem.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I think the latest J2C/GamersNexus video has the best TL;DR for people getting caught up with all the new hardware and just a good overview of the current state of processors.

Bang-for-the-Buck Gaming: 3600 (non x)
Absolute Max FPS: 9700k
Twitch Streaming or other general multi-threaded workloads: 3700x
Serious Media Production: 3900x or the 9900k depending on what software you use and the kind of media being produced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikBYHYsdhhE

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ItBreathes posted:

No, unless you have a workload that can use the extra cores. The only other processor that I would advise ever is the 9700K, and that's only if you both care about and have the graphics card to support moving from 100-140fps to 120-160fps, depending on the title.

Some people are concerned that 6 core processors will fall off the way 4 cores are starting to, but for the price differential I advise just waiting to see if that happens at all.

if you do have a parallel workload the 3700x is really good though. 3900x or waiting for 3950x would be even better obvs if you're building a proper workstation but 3700x looks like it's in a good place for parallel price/performance. i have some cpu-heavy data analysis tasks that scale nicely with cores and the 3700x in my new dev box is tearing through them.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Okay so I have built up my new PC and it does not post or anything. It turns on and all the fans and lights are running but no output to my monitor.

PSU: Corsair TX750M 750W Modular 80+ Gold

Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC AMD 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8GHz Hexa Core

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Windforce 8GB 

Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3600 MHz C18 XMP 2.0 Enthusiast

I noticed that the CPU light on the board is a solid red also. Also where the CPU power plugs in I only have the 4x2 connector in. There is a further slot for a 2x2 alongside it.

I understand that this board requires a flash to recognise the 3600X but I did make a usb stick with the MSI.ROM file.

Where have I hosed up spectacularly?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
My guess is the firmware flash process. A quick google shows a bunch of people having the same issue with that board.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Falken posted:

Okay so I have built up my new PC and it does not post or anything. It turns on and all the fans and lights are running but no output to my monitor.

PSU: Corsair TX750M 750W Modular 80+ Gold

Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC AMD 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8GHz Hexa Core

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Windforce 8GB 

Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3600 MHz C18 XMP 2.0 Enthusiast

I noticed that the CPU light on the board is a solid red also. Also where the CPU power plugs in I only have the 4x2 connector in. There is a further slot for a 2x2 alongside it.

I understand that this board requires a flash to recognise the 3600X but I did make a usb stick with the MSI.ROM file.

Where have I hosed up spectacularly?

I'm probably wrong as I've been out of this gig for a looong time. But doesn't chipless flash need the chip to not be installed? Remove chip, flash, install chip?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, it needs to be flashed first before you install the CPU if you haven't done so already. The 4x2 pin is for extra power to the CPU and you'd use it instead of the 2x2 pin. It's also completely unnecessary - I'd just use the 2x2 pin.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Stickman posted:

Yeah, it needs to be flashed first before you install the CPU if you haven't done so already. The 4x2 pin is for extra power to the CPU and you'd use it instead of the 2x2 pin. It's also completely unnecessary - I'd just use the 2x2 pin.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE
Thanks. Currently at the hospital as my fiancee scalded her hand.

So should i unseat the cpu and cooler to do the flash, also switch to the 2x2 pin?

I think i got the right file off of msi, but i read somewhere that the flash drive needs to be a 16gb or less fat32. Is this the case? I have a 64gb that is fomatted in exFAT ... No idea how to convert it to fat32

Falken fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 16, 2019

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
My wife's computer is showing its age (i5-2500k), and I think it's time for a refresh. Primary use is Photoshop image editing and browsing the Web with A Lot of tabs.

The current issues with the MSI B450M motherboards' BIOS notwithstanding, would this be a cromulent build?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GT 640 2 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Cooler Master - Elite 343 MicroATX Mini Tower Case w/420 W Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Silverstone - 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $438.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-16 17:46 EDT-0400

The $0 items are parts I already have and will reuse in the build. I plan to migrate the OS from the current HDD (which I can't remember what it is exactly), but let me know if a fresh install would be better, especially since I'm going from Intel to AMD here.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I’ve got a couple LGA1151 boards (One is a Biostar TB250-BTC+, the other is an Asus Prime Z270-P) and monitors lying around from buttcoin mining and want to use them to build my kids some 1080p 60hz budget boxes; I snagged some DDR4 RAM from Amazon but I’m not sure what the ideal price:performance is with the 1151 socket this generation. I’ve got video cards covered as well, just looking for CPU recommendations.

Games being played will be the usual AAA games (Caulidoody et al) and Civ 6/other strategy games.

E: added motherboard models

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 17, 2019

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

My wife's computer is showing its age (i5-2500k), and I think it's time for a refresh. Primary use is Photoshop image editing and browsing the Web with A Lot of tabs.

The current issues with the MSI B450M motherboards' BIOS notwithstanding, would this be a cromulent build?

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI - B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GT 640 2 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Cooler Master - Elite 343 MicroATX Mini Tower Case w/420 W Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Silverstone - 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $438.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-16 17:46 EDT-0400

The $0 items are parts I already have and will reuse in the build. I plan to migrate the OS from the current HDD (which I can't remember what it is exactly), but let me know if a fresh install would be better, especially since I'm going from Intel to AMD here.

Here's a fantastic deal on similar storage/ram you have chosen

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I'm looking at the following for my upgrade, a VR/144hz gaming computer. The $350 9700k is super tempting but unfortunately it seems like many other parts are sold out all over the place. The cooler, the memory, and the PSU keep going in and out of stock. I'm tempted to pick up the available parts now and get the rest as they come back in stock, but was wondering if I was overlooking anything. I currently have a 1070 that I'll upgrade down the line but for now I'm always CPU limited in the VR games I've been playing.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($96.99 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-16 18:10 EDT-0400

I really like the look of the Meshify C but I'm afraid that it may end up being a tad too small. The spec sheet shows it supports a GPU length of 315mm with the front fans installed, and I've already seen a number of graphics cards exceeding that. I'm not looking at upgrading my GPU at this time but it's something I'll worry about for the future. The Meshify S2 is very similarly designed, slightly larger, and would have no problem with the longer cards, but is nearly twice the price (80 vs 140 on Newegg) Does anyone have any experience with how tight the Meshify C is in practice?

Otherwise, memory is on the Aorus Pro QVL list, and the Dark Rock Pro 4 claims it would fit the board going by their website.

Are the fans that come with the Meshify C good or should I be looking at replacing them? Between the massive cooler and fans I'd like to have a system that is as quiet as possible while idling.

Thanks!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I've seen other posters say the Meshify C fans aren't that great. I'm still waiting for my mobo and CPU to arrive to finish my build in my Meshify C, so I can't really say if the fans are bad or not. What I did was I bought two Arctic 140mm fans and put them in the front, and moved the 120mm fan that came with the case to the top rear. If you have a hard drive that produces heat then you might wanna go with 3 120mm in the front so you can get some airflow along the bottom. I wouldn't recommend putting fan on the bottom though.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 16, 2019

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

You’re a champion. Just saved me a hundred bucks and I’m not even the guy you posted it for. Thanks a ton, buddy.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Falken posted:

Thanks. Currently at the hospital as my fiancee scalded her hand.

So should i unseat the cpu and cooler to do the flash, also switch to the 2x2 pin?

I think i got the right file off of msi, but i read somewhere that the flash drive needs to be a 16gb or less fat32. Is this the case? I have a 64gb that is fomatted in exFAT ... No idea how to convert it to fat32

If you already have the 4x2 pin installed, that's fine - it really won't matter either way! It sounds like 16gb or less in fat32 is what you need - I'd stop by Walgreens or something and pick up a cheap small one rather than trying to wrestle with formatting on a larger drive. It'll probably already be Fat32, but to covert just right-click on the flash drive in "My Computer", choose "format" from the menu, and then choose Fat32 from "File System" drop-down menu (and then click "Start").

Sorry to hear about your fiancee :( I scalded my leg a few weeks ago and it's not fun at all. Hoping they fix her up without too much hassle!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

tehinternet posted:

I’ve got a couple LGA1151 boards and monitors lying around from buttcoin mining and want to use them to build my kids some 1080p 60hz budget boxes; I snagged some DDR4 RAM from Amazon but I’m not sure what the ideal price:performance is with the 1151 socket this generation. I’ve got video cards covered as well, just looking for CPU recommendations.

Games being played will be the usual AAA games (Caulidoody et al) and Civ 6/other strategy games.

LGA1151 covers 3 iterations of chipsets/CPUs that generally are not compatible with one another, so you'd need to know what the specific boards are to know which CPUs will work! A few boards are also DDR3 rather than 4, but not many.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Stickman posted:

If you already have the 4x2 pin installed, that's fine - it really won't matter either way! It sounds like 16gb or less in fat32 is what you need - I'd stop by Walgreens or something and pick up a cheap small one rather than trying to wrestle with formatting on a larger drive. It'll probably already be Fat32, but to covert just right-click on the flash drive in "My Computer", choose "format" from the menu, and then choose Fat32 from "File System" drop-down menu (and then click "Start").

Sorry to hear about your fiancee :( I scalded my leg a few weeks ago and it's not fun at all. Hoping they fix her up without too much hassle!
Hi again! I was able to reallocate the drive as a 15gb fat32 and the flash process started as soon as i pressed the button. PC switched on and the light began to flash. Will it turn itself off again or do i do that myself? Dont want to interrupt it!

Thanks for your concern. Shes OK just a bit sore. Got chatting with a girl who crushed her fingers in a door and her fingernail was hanging off so that got put into perspective!!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Stickman posted:

LGA1151 covers 3 iterations of chipsets/CPUs that generally are not compatible with one another, so you'd need to know what the specific boards are to know which CPUs will work! A few boards are also DDR3 rather than 4, but not many.

Ah, super. One is a Biostar TB250-BTC+, the other is an Asus Prime Z270-P.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fina posted:

I'm looking at the following for my upgrade, a VR/144hz gaming computer. The $350 9700k is super tempting but unfortunately it seems like many other parts are sold out all over the place. The cooler, the memory, and the PSU keep going in and out of stock. I'm tempted to pick up the available parts now and get the rest as they come back in stock, but was wondering if I was overlooking anything. I currently have a 1070 that I'll upgrade down the line but for now I'm always CPU limited in the VR games I've been playing.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($96.99 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-16 18:10 EDT-0400

I really like the look of the Meshify C but I'm afraid that it may end up being a tad too small. The spec sheet shows it supports a GPU length of 315mm with the front fans installed, and I've already seen a number of graphics cards exceeding that. I'm not looking at upgrading my GPU at this time but it's something I'll worry about for the future. The Meshify S2 is very similarly designed, slightly larger, and would have no problem with the longer cards, but is nearly twice the price (80 vs 140 on Newegg) Does anyone have any experience with how tight the Meshify C is in practice?

Otherwise, memory is on the Aorus Pro QVL list, and the Dark Rock Pro 4 claims it would fit the board going by their website.

Are the fans that come with the Meshify C good or should I be looking at replacing them? Between the massive cooler and fans I'd like to have a system that is as quiet as possible while idling.

Thanks!

It looks like the Dark Rock Pro 4 is in stock at B&H, and I'd consider spending the extra $10 for the fully-modular Seasonic Focus Plus. It'll also double the warranty length from 5 years to 10 and give you a fanless mode when power consumption is low.

I wouldn't worry about QVL 3600 RAM with Intel - pretty much any 3600 RAM will work at advertised speeds, and might even overclock a bit. The cheap stuff will have higher latency, but the actual difference in gaming performance will be something like 0-2%, mostly 0.

They'll be plenty of good GPUs that will fit the Meshify C - even top end ones (just get the tall dual-fan versions). The S2 is also a good case, but do you really want a larger case on the off chance you'd want one of the few gpus that won't fit?

The stock meshify fans are decent enough, but they aren't PWM and good Noctuas/Corsair/Coolermaster/Be Quiet! fans will have more easily customizable fan curves. I'd probably start with stock + one extra nice fan for the front and see how it works for you.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Falken posted:

Hi again! I was able to reallocate the drive as a 15gb fat32 and the flash process started as soon as i pressed the button. PC switched on and the light began to flash. Will it turn itself off again or do i do that myself? Dont want to interrupt it!

Thanks for your concern. Shes OK just a bit sore. Got chatting with a girl who crushed her fingers in a door and her fingernail was hanging off so that got put into perspective!!

It'll turn off on its own, don't touch it. It takes a while.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Falken posted:

Yep, it'll stop when it's done - should take about 5 minutes or so.

Good to hear she's okay!

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.

ItBreathes posted:

Sure, though again all price comparisons below are for America, if they dont hold in Norway let me know and I'd be happy to adjust.

The 9400f is a 6c/6t processor with a rather low base clock, the 3600 is a faster 6c/12t processor, so it will perform better over all be much better at multitasking and minimum frame rates.

3200 ram costs only marginally more and offers minor performance improvements, especially with Ryzen where internal communication speeds are tied to ram speed. The particular kit doesn't matter, pretty much all 3200 CL16 ram is the same, buy what's cheapest. 3000 ram is basically the same price, but if it's markedly cheaper over there the performance delta is probably imperceptible.

Inland not being available over there makes a lot of sense. I'm not on top of my SSD game so other goons may have recommendations for the best cheapest drive in Europe. For consumer workloads there's not really a difference between nvme and SATA but there's not a price difference anymore. M.2 drives are drat convenient.

The PSU I picked just happens to be very cheap in America today, but EVGA supernova, Seasonic focus plus, and Corsair RMx (2018) are all top tier PSUs and you should get whatever's cheapest. You can probably get by with a 550w psu, though the EVGA supernova G2 and G3 only come with a 7 year warranty for the 550w and 650w models, all others come with 10.

I've pieced together this build from your advice:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock - B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($77.59 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($77.75 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB TUF OC Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks - P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $901.29

There wasn't much of a price difference between the NVMe drives, so I kept the sx8200 pro. Does it look alright?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Stickman posted:

They'll be plenty of good GPUs that will fit the Meshify C - even top end ones (just get the tall dual-fan versions).
And if you search GPUs on PCPartPicker by length even most three fan models don't exceed 310mm, it's mostly MSI models that do.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Fantastisk posted:

I've pieced together this build from your advice:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock - B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($77.59 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($77.75 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB TUF OC Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks - P300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $901.29

There wasn't much of a price difference between the NVMe drives, so I kept the sx8200 pro. Does it look alright?

The only thing to worry about is that any B450 motherboards made before Zen2 was imminent won't have a compatible bios and you'll need a Zen1 or Zen+ processor on hand to flash them. The MSI motherboards, even the cheapish ones have CPUless bios flashing which mitigates this, otherwise it's a concern until old stocks run out. If you have a computer store available the pre-flashed ones should all have a 'Zen 3000 compatible' sticker on them, boards without it likely won't work out of the box.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

tehinternet posted:

Ah, super. One is a Biostar TB250-BTC+, the other is an Asus Prime Z270-P.

Those will both support 6th-gen Intel CPUs and, if the bios is updated, 7th gen. The Z270 will also support overclocking. Buying new older-generation Intel CPUs is a very bad value because they never drop in price once they're discontinued, so old i5s are exactly the same price or more expensive than current-gen i5s. Going by ebay prices, it looks like i5 6400s are selling for $75-100 and 7400s for $125-140, so the 6400 is probably your best bet value-wise and hassle-wise!

If you're kids will be playing some of the more demanding newer games, 4-core/4-thread CPUs might still have framerate stability issues at 60Hz. You might want to consider just flipping the Intel boards and picking up Ryzen 1600s or 2600s and cheap B450 motherboards, something like:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $184.98

E: It looks like Microcenter might be sold out of cheap Ryzen 1600s and the current 1600 bundles don't save anything over 2600 bundles, but the 2600/Pro4 for $155 is a decent discount vs online.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Stickman posted:

Yep, it'll stop when it's done - should take about 5 minutes or so.

Good to hear she's okay!
OH MY GOD it posted

Thanks!!!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Awesome! You're welcome :)

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Speaking of ram, Amazon prime day deal has this "Ballistix Elite 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 3600 MT/s (PC4-28800)" for 138 Cad, or 105 USD. Worth picking up for a soon to be made R5 3600 build?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Oh sweet, thanks!

dogmatrix
Apr 13, 2016
Now that the new chips are out, I'm looking to sanity check an upgraded list from a while ago. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck since I'm building 2 systems which I'm hoping will last for a while. Current computers are from 2010/12ish.

Systems will be used for gaming but mostly older, less-demanding, games. I do want to play Cyberpunk with a lot of shiny enabled when it comes out.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI - MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ B&H)
Storage: HP - EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($108.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card ($509.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($78.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus - VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1254.60

vs

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($156.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card ($349.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1017.73

Since the 3600 is only $50 more than the 2600X and the 570 mobo is the same price as that 450 (which makes me wonder if this isn't a good 570), I kind of feel like it's a no-brainer even though $1200 was kind of my upper limit. I wouldn't have to mess around with flashing the BIOS, right?
No idea with the video card. There seems to be a bunch of models available and no reviews on much yet.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That x570 has been fine for me and a 3700x as long as it has the features that you want

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

dogmatrix posted:

Now that the new chips are out, I'm looking to sanity check an upgraded list from a while ago. I'm looking for the best bang for the buck since I'm building 2 systems which I'm hoping will last for a while. Current computers are from 2010/12ish.

Systems will be used for gaming but mostly older, less-demanding, games. I do want to play Cyberpunk with a lot of shiny enabled when it comes out.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI - MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card ($509.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1254.60

vs

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($156.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card ($349.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1017.73

Since the 3600 is only $50 more than the 2600X and the 570 mobo is the same price as that 450 (which makes me wonder if this isn't a good 570), I kind of feel like it's a no-brainer even though $1200 was kind of my upper limit. I wouldn't have to mess around with flashing the BIOS, right?
No idea with the video card. There seems to be a bunch of models available and no reviews on much yet.

For those prices, I'd consider going with the X570 either way unless you really want integrated Wifi/bluetooth. In exchange you get extra PCIe lanes, two full-speed M.2 slots (with PCIe 4.0 support), and some extra USB ports. It'll work just fine with the 2600X, too!

E: The X570 Gaming Plus is good - it's just missing some of the bells and whistle that more expensive models have, like a 3rd M.2 slot or front-panel USB 3.1 Gen 2 connectors. It's VRM is pretty close to the B450 Pro Carbon AC, which means it's great for anything up to and including the 3900X, but would be marginal for a 3950X.

Both processors are fine for 1440p and you'd always have the option of upgrading later when the 2600X starts holding you up. If you turn down settings you'll probably see a 5-10% improvement in games running at 100 fps, but they'll already be running at high fps so it may not be too noticeable depending on your perception and the types of games you play. Going with the 3600 also saves you trouble of upgrading for a little while longer!

The 2070 Super is a great choice for 1440p/144Hz. The 2060 would also work, but since 2060 Supers are a pretty hefty 20%ish performance improvement for only $50 they're better value right now. If you don't care about RAYZ, the 5700 XT performs about as well as a 2070 Super for the price of a 2060 Super. I'd wait for 3rd-party cards, though - AMD's blower cards are unnecessarily hot and loud!

I'd also buying a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W - it'll save you $20 and it's a shorter PSU so cabling will be a little easier. Doubly so if you move to an even smaller case in the future!

E: Here's a comprehensive benchmark for the 5700 XT, 2060 Super, and 2070 Super across a bunch of games. Note these are at Ultra/Very High settings, so you can get a good bit of extra FPS by dropping down a bit. Usually there's not much visual difference between Ultra/Very High/High, but you'll get 15-30% more fps.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 17, 2019

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Okay so I was installing windows and it did what I assume was a regular shutdown... however now it refuses to POST again and the CPU debug light is on.

Any ideas?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Falken posted:

Okay so I was installing windows and it did what I assume was a regular shutdown... however now it refuses to POST again and the CPU debug light is on.

Any ideas?

I'd reset CMOS and see what happens. Make sure the windows install media isn't in.

E: had you already been using the hardware at all? Did it previously POST?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

It did post previously and I was installing Windows

E: So far so good... cmos clear has allowed me to continue

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Stupid question: if my W10 install was a free upgrade from a W7 key purchased from Microsoft, do I need to do anything special to migrate the install to a new CPU / motherboard?

I'll probably reinstall Windows once everything's up and running, but wanted to make sure I wasn't going to hit any hurdles regarding the licence.

E: Falken I'm watching your progress with interest because I just switched my order to a 3600 after getting a larger than expected tax refund. Good luck!

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Stupid question: if my W10 install was a free upgrade from a W7 key purchased from Microsoft, do I need to do anything special to migrate the install to a new CPU / motherboard?

I'll probably reinstall Windows once everything's up and running, but wanted to make sure I wasn't going to hit any hurdles regarding the licence.

E: Falken I'm watching your progress with interest because I just switched my order to a 3600 after getting a larger than expected tax refund. Good luck!

No, just use the key and at most if it doesn't auto-authenticate it gives you a toll free number to call Microsoft and it'll work then.