Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

It looks like a drat bluetooth speaker from the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Popped in quickly today to visit my brother who works at a place that restores Healeys. A lot of ice-blue over cream there, and some interesting race cars, including Pat Moss' Mini Cooper that she rallied in the Monte Carlo.

But I was more taken by this "before" car. It'll be lovely in 12-months, after £100k, I'm sure. But I thought it charming as it was.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:swoon:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

A good post

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Can't imagine how much work the 4dr Civic took.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Can't imagine how much work the 4dr Civic took.

You meant they didn't get those in Europe or something?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

0-186mph in 9 loving seconds, I wanna ride in that.

But not own it, buying an electric car that proudly proclaims "hand built in Britain is asking for trouble.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You meant they didn't get those in Europe or something?

Pretty sure nobody got them anywhere. It's not a wagon.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

That Lotus is very pretty. Very pretty.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

4 door EK hatches weren't a thing until someone decided to make one (but why??)

https://tiremeetsroad.com/2018/04/23/this-is-what-a-four-door-ek-hatch-conversion-looks-like/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lowclock posted:

Pretty sure nobody got them anywhere. It's not a wagon.

It’s not a wagon in the US I know that but I wouldn’t be surprised if they sold one somewhere else. Makes no sense to fabricate one but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Seeing as the new mid-engined Corvette is being revealed today can we take a second to appreciate the first one?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Seeing as the new mid-engined Corvette is being revealed today can we take a second to appreciate the first one?

Want to put a Pontiac logo, basket weave wheels, and C-pillar windows on the new one.

Also, looked up the new one and lol

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I can't find a decent link like I had a few months ago with all the mid-engined concept vettes so I'll toss this out here https://www.automobilemag.com/news/1973-four-rotor-corvette-prototype-mid-engine-chevrolet-corvette-history/

What I always found interesting was GM working on a rotary. It was either destined for the Corvair or Vega IIRC.

Anyways, as for the C8, I'm somewhat indifferent. Looks like a mashup of several different manufacturers. I don't hate it, but doesn't exactly blow my skirt my up. I assume it will be for me a car that looks 10x better in person than what you see in photos.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'm not really sure I like the rear end, but I like it better than the C8 Corvette. The rest of the car is gorgeous, and the rear definitely doesn't look out of place.
Regardless, that car is insane. Look at how the doors basically incorporate the wide sills so you don't have to scoot over them like on the GT40, for example.

Hi, Boomers. Please die so the rest of us can have/afford nice things.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I can't find a decent link like I had a few months ago with all the mid-engined concept vettes so I'll toss this out here https://www.automobilemag.com/news/1973-four-rotor-corvette-prototype-mid-engine-chevrolet-corvette-history/

What I always found interesting was GM working on a rotary. It was either destined for the Corvair or Vega IIRC.

They were, and had working engines. A 2-rotor was intended for the Vega (and AMC was designing the Pacer to accept it as well, as I recall - then had to scramble to shove the AMC six in it) and the Aerovette concept originally had a 4-rotor. then emissions regulation and the fuel crisis happened.

quote:

Anyways, as for the C8, I'm somewhat indifferent. Looks like a mashup of several different manufacturers. I don't hate it, but doesn't exactly blow my skirt my up. I assume it will be for me a car that looks 10x better in person than what you see in photos.

Well, we haven't really seen it yet, so...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Darchangel posted:

It's down to how many creases and how the side scoops look at this point. Rear end has been leaked (that came out wrong), and the interior shots.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 18, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

Rear end has been leaked (that came out wrong)

oh that was what was posted on the facebook page wasn't it? It's loving terrible.

:barf:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slap an autobot logo on it and it's ready to be a character in the next transformers movie. Unfortunate to have an rear end for a face but sometimes that's how life works out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's down to how many creases and how the side scoops look at this point. Rear end has been leaked (that came out wrong), and the interior shots.

Rear end is too busy, and there are some spy shots of it on the 'Ring with just dazzle camo, no masking, I just saw, so yeah, I guess we do know pretty much what it looks like. Saw some renders based on that, and it doesn't look bad, but yeah, pretty derivative.

Getting back to the original mid-engine Vettes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm8J0rIb4v8
It's got digital stuff!

http://www.rokemneedlearts.com/carsindepth/wordpressblog/?p=10092

Also, I think the 2-rotor version the XP-897, was better looking than the 4-rotor:
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/02/05/a-mid-engine-corvette-with-rotary-power-the-1973-xp-897-gt-concept/

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah. I'm not a Corvette nut but it looks like a 458 hosed a Huracan and somehow spit out a R8 for the scoops.

But as I said it will probably look better in person. Thought the same with the C7.

edit: The spoiler is a pile of poo poo.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The c8's tail isn't great, but it doesn't look too hideous to me. It looks better than the c7. The c7 never gelled with me at all come to think of it, in pictures or in person. Maybe I'm just a weirdo though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
With how tall bumper and hip lines are getting, anything wide and low is pretty much turning into a kink if mine now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

oh that was what was posted on the facebook page wasn't it? It's loving terrible.

:barf:

This is the rear end of a Camaro tho

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Darchangel posted:

Speak for yourself. :ninja:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

This is the rear end of a Camaro tho

GM canceled the Camaro. Probably so they don’t have to divide out how to make them have different asses.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like a weird move to me. The C8 is a completely different market now unless you get one hell of a deal on the C8.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Darchangel posted:

GM canceled the Camaro. Probably so they don’t have to divide out how to make them have different asses.

Whoa, what really? I thought I heard something about that, but pretty much dismissed the poo poo out of it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Technically it's on a development "pause", but it's likely dead.

The current Camaro is losing to the Challenger, to say nothing of the Mustang. Now you have a mid-engine supercar with a Corvette badge that starts under $60k. So as GM you're faced with the question of how you build a Camaro that's cheap enough versus the Vette to not look stupid when parked next to it on a showroom floor, while being competitive with the Mustang and somehow managing to be profitable.

If you're GM the likely answer is, you can't.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Charger is more powerful, cheaper and a 4 door, and the mustang is just more car per dollar.
Its a crying shame, the gen5 small block is a great performer.

I know what would sell though: Redone styling and a from-factory hot cam with a loping idle.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Gotta hand it GM for the C8. Although the backend is sort of a mess and I don't like the spoiler...3.0 0-60 mid-engined car with a DCT for less than 60K is quite a feat.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Have that said what it’s going to cost? Everything I’ve heard said starting at 100.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

beep-beep car is go posted:

Have that said what it’s going to cost? Everything I’ve heard said starting at 100.

Base is under $60k, that's all that's been said.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

beep-beep car is go posted:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Gotta hand it GM for the C8. Although the backend is sort of a mess and I don't like the spoiler...3.0 0-60 mid-engined car with a DCT for less than 60K is quite a feat.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Suburban Dad posted:

Base is under $60k, that's all that's been said.

Jeeeeze. Okay Chevrolet now I'm interested. Too bad all the dealers will mark it up to 100 for the first year.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm interested to hear if this is an unlimited production run. A mid engine for the masses. When Ford re-re-released the GT I hated all of that elitist bullshit about having to apply for one and pretty much not letting you sell the car.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Wrong thread

The stuff they did to the E31 was awful.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

This is a good E31 (with boring color):

This is a propper E31 (because it's nearly the same to mine, but without the stupid badge on the nostrils):

This is the best E31 you can/could buy:

This is the E31 that sadly never happened, and was reborn as the McLaren F1 (engine-wise):

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

um excuse me posted:

I'm interested to hear if this is an unlimited production run. A mid engine for the masses. When Ford re-re-released the GT I hated all of that elitist bullshit about having to apply for one and pretty much not letting you sell the car.

that stuff is good actually, it stops people from treating cars like assets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You should watch the VINWIKI guy if you think that's how any of it actually works.