Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Zaphod42 posted:

Disliking exclusives is totally fair, but to hate Epic because of exclusives when others are doing exclusive deals in the gaming industry, that just seems real weird, and ultimately disingenuous. Again I think its just "cool" to hate on Epic right now, its this big mob mentality thing. Lots of people dislike the Windows Store, I'm not the only one. But you don't see people bombing "WINDOWS STORE SUCKS" on twitch when the age of empires remake got announced. Even though, they really should. (Age 1 was exclusive to windows store but hopefully age 2 will be on steam? :ohdear: )

Yeah, for example Crackdown 3 is published by Microsoft and only sold through the Microsoft Store:

quote:

The game is not available through Steam, Epic Games store, Origin, or any other service, only Microsoft’s own storefront.

Source: https://www.shacknews.com/article/109929/how-to-buy-crackdown-3-on-windows-10-pc

The developer does not belong to Microsoft AFAIK. So we've got a publisher deal with exclusivity. That's not very much different than what Epic does.

Point being, yeah, there are exclusives on other stores, and no, not all studios do belong to Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Somebody to ask him if he's also pissed by Star Citizen only being available through their launcher ?

Or is it suddenly "different" because, duh, Star Citizen gets a free card pass ?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
:lol: who is not hating on Microsoft Store (aka who is consistently buying from that?)

Also, the "why not react or be mad at the others" is a very narrow sighted way of thinking. It's just Epic's turn now, and not without good reason.

People (not unanimously, but quite vocally and often justifiably) used to be mad at Steam/Valve (when it first introduced digital distribution at that scale anyway, and games started requiring it or you would get a boxed copy with just a paper with Steam code on it), GOG (for their lovely marketing stunt a decade ago), Microsoft Live Games (or whatever the gently caress that was called). I'm sure uPlay and Origin (edit: and Rockstar) got their share of flak but I don't care enough about those anyway.

Some stores improved as a result, others closed down / were largely abandoned. It's how things have been going on this industry for almost two decades now. It's not going to stop at Epic Store either.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 19, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Microsoft's store is so garbage that they raised the white flag and have decided to release Age of Empires Definitive Edition (And Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition) on Steam.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I remember everyone being happy (not really) with Microsoft throwing a load of cash to Remedy to finish Alan Wake -- a game largely marketed for PC platforms and Intel multi-core (quad) processors, in exchange for it being an Xbox timed exclusive (quite for more than a year), because "it's best enjoyed playing from your living room sofa"

That happened.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 19, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Am I the only butthole around here that reads EA as well, the evil EA versus early access?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Am I the only butthole around here that reads EA as well, the evil EA versus early access?

I do the same. Sometimes I read the whole post and think "I had no idea Electronic Arts was involved in this game" before realizing and having to go back and read the whole post again in proper context.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Lladre posted:

Remind me to post a picture of a chew toy I got for sammie that was supposed to be tough.

REMIND ME! for 1 week to remind lladre to post some pictures of his dog showing a 'tough' toy who is the boss.
(I will be messaging you in one week to.......hang on a minute, this isn't reddit)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

AbstractNapper posted:

:lol: who is not hating on Microsoft Store (aka who is consistently buying from that?)

Also, the "why not react or be mad at the others" is a very narrow sighted way of thinking. It's just Epic's turn now, and not without good reason.

People (not unanimously, but quite vocally and often justifiably) used to be mad at Steam/Valve (when it first introduced digital distribution at that scale anyway, and games started requiring it or you would get a boxed copy with just a paper with Steam code on it), GOG (for their lovely marketing stunt a decade ago), Microsoft Live Games (or whatever the gently caress that was called). I'm sure uPlay and Origin (edit: and Rockstar) got their share of flak but I don't care enough about those anyway.

Some stores improved as a result, others closed down / were largely abandoned. It's how things have been going on this industry for almost two decades now. It's not going to stop at Epic Store either.

When Steam first released, and I mean FIRST released, it was loving poo poo. It got much better, then stagnated forever. It's fine, but sometimes I vaguely worry about what would happen if and when it all goes away. Do I lose my library? Then I look at my Derek-Smart-eque bookshelf filled with old games, and realize that physical ownership doesn't mean much when almost all of them won't run on my current system anyway. Nowadays I don't really give a gently caress. I have emulators that let me play almost any console game up to a generation or two back, and PC games get the same treatment.

Now that so many games are "live services" the problem is even worse, and games are even more ephemeral.

It's all dust in the wind.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

I do the same. Sometimes I read the whole post and think "I had no idea Electronic Arts was involved in this game" before realizing and having to go back and read the whole post again in proper context.

Good. Glad I'm not the only one. But for the love of god, do not go back and read post history.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

When Steam first released, and I mean FIRST released, it was loving poo poo.

Keep in mind the computers were also poo poo. You didn't want to run any bloat when you played games.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I was really confused with Steam at first cos I got it with my DVD copy of Half Life 2, I was like 'what's all this poo poo now?'
It was pretty much a grey thing that came with HL2 that served no purpose.
Now it's a fun filled land and I get angry about it, and Origin and the Epic store, also as an Oculus owner let me tell you about that too, it makes me so mad I sometimes cry in my headset and that steams up my lenses, which reminds me of Steam again, I am shaking as I type this.
Elite Dangerous, iRacing and Star Citizen have launchers too, I can't deal with all this my god make it stop

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tokamak posted:

Keep in mind the computers were also poo poo. You didn't want to run any bloat when you played games.

Some of those old habits I still follow to this day. Like the Ubisoft launcher - if you keep it running, or even minimize it, it takes up system resources. If you close it to system tray, the CPU drops to 0. I still have a rather lovely PC so I keep these things in mind. I remember some guy used to keep a site up that would tell you which system services were safe to disable to maximize available resources.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Potato Salad posted:

what precisely is the problem with a buncha game package managers?

who cares?

This.

Also stop acting like this is the next console war. The launcher is free and the software runs on the same machine as your Steam, Uplay, etc. crap you nerds.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

People getting mad about Epic makes no sense to me.

I have GOG, Bethesda, Blizzard, uPlay, Steam, Origin etc. I have standalone games. I have games with their own launcher that launches through a separate launcher.

It makes no difference really whether a game is on one of those or on Epic.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Jack the Lad posted:

I have GOG, Bethesda, Blizzard, uPlay, Steam, Origin etc. I have standalone games. I have games with their own launcher that launches through a separate launcher.

I'm sometimes curious from a technical perspective. Examples would include Uplay games that you can buy on Steam. Ubisoft has to provide Steam the file manifests and the packages. They are logically handled, distributed, and installed differently, usually into different folders, and have different architectures for save games and cloud saves, for example. I know the companies collaborate to make everything 100%, but whenever something goes wrong, I have to wonder in the back of my mind, could this be something where Steam doesn't have the latest files or something along those lines? Then at runtime another snafu comes up - both launchers need to be open, Steam to run the code, and Uplay to track my Ubisoft account and for integration with live services. It's an extra layer where things can go wrong. Admittedly I haven't had many problems along those lines, but when something does happen, I have to look in more than one place for possible cause.

It's why I try to keep things to a single launcher where possible. I could launch ESO through the Bethesda app, but I don't, I use the native launcher. Same with Ubisoft games - I just buy from them and launch directly from Uplay. Sometimes you don't have a choice (Star Trek Bridge Crew for example, if I could get the Vive to work without Steam I would) but generally I like to create the fewest points of failure possible.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 19, 2019

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Scruffpuff posted:

When Steam first released, and I mean FIRST released, it was loving poo poo. It got much better, then stagnated forever. It's fine, but sometimes I vaguely worry about what would happen if and when it all goes away. Do I lose my library? Then I look at my Derek-Smart-eque bookshelf filled with old games, and realize that physical ownership doesn't mean much when almost all of them won't run on my current system anyway. Nowadays I don't really give a gently caress. I have emulators that let me play almost any console game up to a generation or two back, and PC games get the same treatment.

Now that so many games are "live services" the problem is even worse, and games are even more ephemeral.

It's all dust in the wind.

Exactly.

This doesn't mean that people will stop being mad though. Some care more than others, and I can definitely understand those backers that were lied to about digital distribution options; because yes, they were lied to and yes, it was about pre-orders. Treating Kickstarter like it's still early romantic days when indie developers asked for (high risk) support and a pledge was not a pre-order is naive at best.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Jack the Lad posted:

The only launcher that's different in that list is GOG, because it doesn't require you to be online or even running the launcher to play its games. That's why I try to get all my games through GOG.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Jack the Lad posted:

but I need to pledge my undying loyalty to a giant corporation otherwise i feel empty inside.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

but I need to pledge my undying loyalty to a giant corporation otherwise i feel empty inside.

Don't forget to wear their shirts and hats so you also advertise for them for free, turning something that's supposed to be an expense into a source of additional revenue. We must all do our part to help.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I was really confused with Steam at first cos I got it with my DVD copy of Half Life 2, I was like 'what's all this poo poo now?'
Now it's a fun filled land and I get angry about it, and Origin and the Epic store, also as an Oculus owner let me tell you about that too, it makes me so mad I sometimes cry in my headset and that steams up my lenses, which reminds me of Steam again, I am shaking as I type this.
Elite Dangerous, iRacing and Star Citizen have launchers too, I can't deal with all this my god make it stop

you all stop with the online store thing nonsense, look at what you are doingt to pgabz!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Katsuma posted:

Tim Sweeney will never notice you.

Jesus christ Katsuma, gently caress off forever.

Hurrr hurrr "GabeN will never notice you" hurr hurr :smuggo: .

Notice most of the thread agrees with me? You wanna disagree go ahead but this is just shitposting.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I mean, I've been saying EA for Electronic Arts, not Early Access. Was somebody talking about the latter? So yeah, that's what we were all talking about?

But acronym collisions are a problem yeah :cheeky:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 19, 2019

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

trucutru posted:

When you are hundreds of millions over budget inability is pretty much a choice.

Chris chose to do things his way instead of hiring someone capable. Sure, it's not malice, but malice is usually less damaging than hubris.

No-one is capable of creating the game they've sold to the backers.

The AI alone is beyond what's possible with current technology. It doesn't matter what the budget is, who is on the team and who is leading. On the contrary the incompetence of the current leadership (and possible some of the developers, I wouldn't know), has the fantastic effect of obscuring that this is a pipe-dream. Capable developers, project managers and producers would figure out this isn't doable and compromise so they could deliver as much valuable as possible. But in particular Chris and Tony Z, have promised such outrageously unrealistic features (and in some cases even claimed they have them running internally), and going back on that would result in massive loss of face.

So it's by choice that they're not compromising (because their work so far has severely limited how much they can salvage if they scale back and compromise), and it's through inability they're not delivering.

What I would think is interesting, is when they realized that this isn't possible. At what point did they start to knowingly deceive backers, going beyond stupid optimism and lack of technical insight? I'm sure they all know by now that the vast majority of what they've promised simply cannot be done, but I also think at one point, the gang looked at the money pile and thought "WE CAN DO ANYTHING! And if we promise them more poo poo, they'll give us more money, so we can do even more! WIN WIN WIN!". There's a degree of deception inherent to making promises about a product and not buying open about risks, etc. They were doing that from day 1.

I urge anyone who still thinks this project could have been made by a different team with same funding, to look at even the initial crowdfunding pitch. It's completely unrealistic. Add the years of scope creep and its hilariously unrealistic. The project was doomed from day 1, and that's why I never spent a dime on it. I looked at it, and thought it might become something good if they compromise. But they never did, and I never bought in. I still got massive entertainment value from watching the project unfold, so Star Citizen is good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

big nipples big life posted:

If you disagree with me you are clearly shilling for the other corporation! :goonsay:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

If you disagree with me you are clearly shilling for the other corporation!

*throws down branded gauntlet*

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Notice most of the thread agrees with me? You wanna disagree go ahead but this is just shitposting.

Yeah, I am not sure about that. I do think most of us find you loving insufferable though.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/cf5yce/rr_station_hover_race_just_an_idea_to_see_what/

Fuckin' LOL, look how mad they're actually going for some gameplay. Said gameplay consists of driving around in circles.

But by god, it sure is revolutionary for Star Citizen!

There is no game.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah, I am not sure about that. I do think most of us find you loving insufferable though.

More like CredibleIgloo

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

IcarusUpHigh posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/cf5yce/rr_station_hover_race_just_an_idea_to_see_what/

Fuckin' LOL, look how mad they're actually going for some gameplay. Said gameplay consists of driving around in circles.

But by god, it sure is revolutionary for Star Citizen!

There is no game.

That's pretty cool, they should make some racing ships and some kind of racing game mode

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

That's pretty cool, they should make some racing ships and some kind of racing game mode

or some kind of game

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Ayyyy this fuckin project blows my mind on the regular

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

PederP posted:

I urge anyone who still thinks this project could have been made by a different team with same funding, to look at even the initial crowdfunding pitch. It's completely unrealistic. Add the years of scope creep and its hilariously unrealistic. The project was doomed from day 1, and that's why I never spent a dime on it.

To be fair, before the Kickstarter arrived and they started the stretch goal gallop, it was entirely feasible to produce another Wing commander game for $8 Million, particularly as the flight model was 'finished', and they just needed some money to publish.

http://web.archive.org/web/20121018170629/http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

Good reminder of the promises broken;

quote:

The people who pledge for their spaceships will get to test-fly them long before the general public. 12 months in, we will allow the early backers to play the multiplayer space combat Alpha, and then 20-22 months in they will get to play the Star Citizen space combat Beta, adventuring around the huge open galaxy, well before the general public. We are going to limit our alpha slots to 200,000 as we want to stress test the game with real users, but will not be ready for the full load until we have finished Beta.

In addition, part of the money we are asking for is budgeted to maintain the Roberts Space Industries site with constant updates. For those of you that joined before the official announcement on October 10th you’ll know that we’ve been doing two to three updates A DAY. Our goal is for the game’s website to be live from day one, constantly giving information about what’s happening in the galaxy even before the game is live, sharing interesting insights into the development process and canvassing the early backers for their opinions. Roberts Space Industries should be the first stop into the Star Citizen universe. When we say we want to involve the community, we really mean it!

"Why not Kickstarter?"

quote:

We love Kickstarter. We’ve backed projects on their site and believe
everyone in the development community owes a debt to Kickstarter for putting crowd funding on the map, and making it legitimate. But for us the ultimate goal of crowd funding is about connecting the “crowd” directly with the creators with as little friction as possible. By building a crowd funding component directly into our site we can insure everyone who wants to back the game can – we provide multiple payment options to make sure that wherever in the world you are there is an option that can work for you. It means you just have one destination to support the project, read updates, and most importantly participate with other members of the community! All on a site that’s designed around the game universe being created, providing the least friction possible. Kickstarter, as great as it is, can’t deliver this experience, which is why we’ve decided to go it alone.

I can pretty much point to the stretch goal where poo poo strayed into the blackly comedic. (AMX-1 Repair Droid bot)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Space Nascar has been changed forever.

Like how the camera is still in 3rd person though, because this real, true-to-life, immersive video game is so real and life-like its insane!

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

They could have a ship that's like a carrier but it's a big mobile racetrack. It could even reconfigure itself into different track layouts. New money only.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:smuggo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n4JAhskw0k

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

The context of that was in saying that they're no worse than EA. I'm not saying that's the only alternative. I've been saying they're all equally bad, and I question why people are so mad at one but not the others who have been doing the same or worse for years. I guess you skipped my earlier posts and just took that one by itself out of context.

The whole crux of my argument is its weird to be super mad at the Epic store, but not mad at the Origin store or the Windows store. Not that you either have to be Epic or EA.

If you're gonna pull a "surely you can do better than that" please read the whole thread. I can't just keep restating the same thing over and over.
I have read the thread and there is no context that modifies what you said in response to Cymelion's reddit post.
They are doing worse than EA when it comes to the store, though. I don't like Origin or EA by any means, but it's actually a far better store and their exclusives are their own games, which is still annoying but makes sense. They also don't go around saying stupid things about how their business is great when it's a less than barebones disaster in terms of customer experience.
I don't know if you have somehow missed it, but people have been complaining online about EA/Origin, the Windows store and uPlay for years. People can only be really mad about something for years, though, so it makes sense that it would no longer be as intensely visible after a couple of years.

Krycek posted:

Yes, but we all show up at Derek's house, unannounced.

Just start pulling out all his game boxes from that room full of shelves and leave the contents scattered across half the house :D

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

is this where the uncontrollable anger stems from? :argh:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1152230642081394693

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

Some of those old habits I still follow to this day. Like the Ubisoft launcher - if you keep it running, or even minimize it, it takes up system resources. If you close it to system tray, the CPU drops to 0. I still have a rather lovely PC so I keep these things in mind. I remember some guy used to keep a site up that would tell you which system services were safe to disable to maximize available resources.

The Black Viper site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Hav posted:

To be fair, before the Kickstarter arrived and they started the stretch goal gallop, it was entirely feasible to produce another Wing commander game for $8 Million, particularly as the flight model was 'finished', and they just needed some money to publish.

There was completely crazy stuff even without stretch goals. They weren't selling a mere Wing Commander game - it was jacked to the moobs with features and unrealistic promises from day 1. Reading through the early crowdfunding material is hilarious knowing what we know now. This was a scattershot from the beginning. When they saw that a virtual universe was what whales wanted, they focused on that part, but it was a never remotely realistic project even before stretch goals and the weekly scope crope.