Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

LifeLynx posted:

I've been thinking about that too, and wondering how it's different from an activated ability. Unless the left-hand spell can be cast on its own and maybe also puts the creature onto the battlefield as part of its resolution?

basically it's an old-style split card where you either choose side A or side B to cast, and in this case side A is a creature and side B is an instant or sorcery or something (as opposed to all currently-existing split cards which are instant/sorcery on both halves)

so if you choose to cast the spell, that's it, no creature

e: presumably the spell would be something that has to do with the story in question, so maybe it creates a bunch of bear tokens or something

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

It makes me think of Level Up, except it looks like the cost is all at once rather than incremental. 5GG is the cost to level her up (or "turn the page" in this case) into something that can kill three bears.

i don't think it's that simple because that's basically transform/monstrosity and that doesn't need a new frame

monstrosity might even fit thematically into the set without changes, "a big nasty thing that gets bigger and nastier" is definitely something that shows up in some fairy tales

President Ark fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

"turn the page"

Activating this keyword ability shall be called "Seger-ing"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
First cards when?

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Split creature / other card type seems like a good guess. The creature is the protagonist or subject of the story, and the non creature half is the events of the story.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rinkles posted:

First cards when?

Not till after commander spoilers I dont think.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

President Ark posted:

my favorite theory i've seen is that it's basically a split card where one half is a creature and the other half (the storybook) is a spell

I really want this to be it. Wizards has done this in Duel Masters recently and it seems like a really cool mechanic.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I hope it is exactly a creature with an activated saga.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I'll bet it's something where you 'tell a story' by combining two (or more) cards.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Four Scapeshift decks in the GP top 8.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ItBreathes posted:

I'll bet it's something where you 'tell a story' by combining two (or more) cards.

The other theory I had about these cards is that the left side isn't a spell or ability, it's a reference to another card. It's got space for a name, mana cost (which we see) and typeline, but not a lot of room for ability text. Then the right side could be what happens when you cast that referenced spell. It could be Eldraine's version of meld.

Edit: This makes a lot of sense from a storytelling perspective because it's beginning (the creature), middle (the spell) and end (the right side of the creature card, where the ending would be if you're reading left to right).

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 21, 2019

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

ItBreathes posted:

Sorta like Unstable?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 minutes!

ItBreathes posted:

TED MTG

"Let me tell you a story..."

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Chadzok posted:

yeah, thats what I'm leaning towards.

Possibly for only 2 turns instead of 3.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It'll be another kicker variant.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Aftermath on creatures.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Katana Gomai posted:

Please don't tell me i have to spend 4 mythic wildcards on this

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Balon posted:

Aftermath on creatures.

That would be a pretty cool mechanic, actually. And you can push the power level a bit if you make the ability contingent on the creature actually dying to be able to activate it later.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

AlternateNu posted:

That would be a pretty cool mechanic, actually. And you can push the power level a bit if you make the ability contingent on the creature actually dying to be able to activate it later.

I don’t think they’d make you track creatures that died versus ended up in your yard, but could make it so you could only cast the ‘aftermath’ when it’s sent to the yard.

Would make for a thematic ‘moral of the story’ mechanic.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MikeCrotch posted:

You don't have to do anything. You don't have a gun to your head saying "fukkin play scapeshift motherfucker for 2 months!!!1!"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MikeCrotch posted:

Arena rotation is something like 67 days away, kinda doesn't feel worth it to ladder with twice?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Chadzok posted:

This is actually a cool idea, like the sagas would be tokens or something?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Are decklists up anywhere?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GoutPatrol posted:

You don't have to do anything. You don't have a gun to your head saying "fukkin play scapeshift motherfucker for 2 months!!!1!"

Actually, I am holding the gun right now.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Katana Gomai posted:

It’s a good deck, at least for BOO arena. Surprisingly good for having like, 2 non-land permanents that stay on the board.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Katana Gomai posted:

Looks like LSV is going to win the gp with bant scapeshift after last minute switching to the deck

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dehtraen posted:

Looks like LSV is going to win the gp with bant scapeshift after last minute switching to the deck

Yep!

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1153085291076431872

Beat Nexus in the finals.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

MikeCrotch posted:

Please don't, it's loving annoying to play against.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Sorta like Unstable?

Yeah. Maro's been hinting as best he does that they've found a way to make it work in black boarder, but also just the clean split in the middle of the text box and the book-like styling.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Actually, I am holding the gun right now.

....loaded?

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Balon posted:

Aftermath on creatures.

G cost Goldilocks is her getting ran off by the bears, 5GG is her coming back for revenge

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
The elemental cavaliers don't do anything to revitalize Golgari do they? I've been playing with it today but I'm starting to lean into just playing Sultai Elementals instead because undergrowth is still too slow to achieve anything.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

l o l, like there's any coverage whatsoever

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

TheKingofSprings posted:

https://www.channelfireball.com/gp-denver-top-8-lists/

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Hauki posted:

l o l, like there's any coverage whatsoever

The coverage of the top eight were friends of LSV’s doing updates via Twitter every other turn, which is really sad. Random people posting updates on the top eight matches well ahead of official coverage is just lazy. CFB re-tweeting the top of the thread just shows how sad of a state official coverage is in.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GoutPatrol posted:

....loaded?

It's a clear green plastic water pistol it's p.amazing that this is working.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jabor posted:

Remember, Scapeshift is still legal alongside this for three months.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Playset of grazer might be the worst 4-of in a gp winning deck in, what, 5 years?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Playset of grazer might be the worst 4-of in a gp winning deck in, what, 5 years?

If you need to drop extra lands and block low-curve aggro guys, is it really that bad?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If you need to drop extra lands and block low-curve aggro guys, is it really that bad?

An 0/3 that can brick its ETB is probably a lot shittier than the next worst card in a Top 8 I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Definitely at least since Michael Majors winning a GP with that terrible blue red tutelage deck that had one of the worst mtgo win percentages in leagues