Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Eye of the Needle is one of the few Voyager episodes that I would unreservedly call good. It doesn't have any useless cruft or pointless dialogue, it's early on before the writers room decides to make Janeway into a schizophrenic double triple weekly war criminal and it's got some good TNG/DS9 style "let's figure this science thing out and do poo poo together" going on.

That it comes in at episode seven and I had forgotten that but remembered the episode itself as one of the few episodes to make a genuine go at Voyager's attempt to get home (as opposed to the weekly pit stop for bullshit) is perhaps a more damning thing than I could really ever say in generalizations of "Oh Voyager is bad."

E: Also the episode immediately following it is the Tom Paris in mind jail episode which somehow came before the DS9 Miles one but is infinitely worse, tha'some good whiplash.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The most interesting thing about Eye of the Needle is a throwaway moment near the end. The Romulan guy says he could tell Starfleet not to send Voyager out after the Maquis so they would never get stranded. Chakotay is like “no, that would gently caress up the timelines of the Delta Quadrant people we’ve already met”. Nobody says anything further about this, but just think about it from his point of view: if Voyager never got sent after Chakotay in the first place, he and the other Maquis guys would just get retroactively stuck in the DQ by themselves.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alec Peters, the Axanar jackass, is suing the guy who owns Axamonitor for defamation and libel. He's also putting up some of the props he bought from that massive auction like six or seven years ago for, well, auction. Translation: Dude is out of money.

:laffo:

Timby fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 23, 2019

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I mean, it definitely could have been an interesting thing, this race that somehow has shooty spaceships, but so little understanding of science that they don't get how easy it is to get more or less unlimited water from hydrogen, which should be fairly easy with their level of technology. Which then leads to the revelation later on that their entire peoples had been a slave race to the people who built the ships they now use, having risen up against their oppressors and overthrown them, seizing their technology for themselves, but more or less piloting them by rote learning and borderline cargo-cult understanding of what's now their own tech without understanding any of the underlying fundamental principles, which also means said technology is breaking down and deteriorating faster than it should be, because they can't really fix anything serious, which is, obviously, a huge threat to the well-being of their people as a result. Thus giving Voyager an in on a diplomatic angle and possible peace with what they had thought to just be savage thugs.

It being Voyager, of course, it actually turned out like frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrtttt.

We look for things to make us go.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

so I’m watching voyager and

:magical: :confused: :magical:

You're not perfect..

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CrimsonAuthor posted:

You're not perfect..

I beg to differ

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

I beg to differ

gently caress you for reminding me of this neuron-destroying episode.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Epicurius posted:

The other problem is that space has giant chunks of ice that just move around in it, so they'd probably find those, at least

Maybe they don't know that water can freeze because they all lived on a hot planet and didn't get any ice for their drinks from their oppressors, and kill everyone else they meet before they can tell them about it.

Never doubt the Kazon.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Big Mean Jerk posted:

so I’m watching voyager and

:magical: :confused: :magical:

God drat, they thought about the Borg so, so little.

Why is it already covered in eye bits and cables and mechanical wotsits? It's a fetus, it's not even done developing yet, what possible advantage can there be to grafting technology onto it at this stage? Or is the technology developing apace with the fetus? Will a tiny little laser-retina form alongside the developing eye? Will a length of cable form and coil itself around the new spine like a morning glory?

I wish somebody had ever thought about the various attachments and what they represented in Borg functionality. They're all given the "one eye, one arm" Borging, but that's like having a toolbox full of multitools. Why did Picard need that poo poo to be Locutus? Why not just plug something into his brain and give him like, a digital voicebox? Whammo, that's it, he's just talking. You wasted an arm on Locutus, guys. Form from function, you're supposed to be efficient.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Not defending the fetus but if the borg evolved over time in a similar fashion to purely biological life, they wouldn't be set up for optimal anything, they would be good enough, collectively, to do their thing.

An actually optimized borg cube/sub-collective would be horrifying and maybe even a ripe story idea to make them feel like a threat again someday.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I mean, in theory, a borg fetus/baby could indeed have implants grown along with its flesh, given, you know, nanotechnology and all.

But let's be honest, that's not why the borg fetus had implants, it's because someone had a dumb idea they thought would be cool.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

How is babby borged

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VISIONARIES! Knights of the mystical cybernetic foetus

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

To be fair to Voyager, there were Borg babies in their very first appearance. Which I just re-watched last night, and then watched the next one, where Riker gets left in charge and is tricked by the galaxy's most moronic kidnappers.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

To be fair to Voyager, there were Borg babies in their very first appearance. Which I just re-watched last night, and then watched the next one, where Riker gets left in charge and is tricked by the galaxy's most moronic kidnappers.

there were borg babies in drawers from the beginning, but even that is a bit different from a fetus with an eyepiece lol

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

I wish somebody had ever thought about the various attachments and what they represented in Borg functionality. They're all given the "one eye, one arm" Borging, but that's like having a toolbox full of multitools. Why did Picard need that poo poo to be Locutus? Why not just plug something into his brain and give him like, a digital voicebox? Whammo, that's it, he's just talking. You wasted an arm on Locutus, guys. Form from function, you're supposed to be efficient.

So he can do other things when he's not talking, I guess? Waste of a good drone to just put him in storage when they don't need to talk to people.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Brawnfire posted:

The whole Borg aesthetic is about avoiding specialization - that's why their ships are cubes; no single part is any different from any other. They're all about creating interchangeable cogs in a giant machine, and erasing any differences. The Dominion are the hyper-specialized caste system empire, not the Borg.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Bloop posted:

there were borg babies in drawers from the beginning, but even that is a bit different from a fetus with an eyepiece lol

Babies at least make sense to me. They'd presumably correct for natal defects or whatever post-birth with machinery.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I mean, in theory, a borg fetus/baby could indeed have implants grown along with its flesh, given, you know, nanotechnology and all.

But let's be honest, that's not why the borg fetus had implants, it's because someone had a dumb idea they thought would be cool.

See, this is what I considered. I guess what gets me is the weird mashup between mechanical parts and nanites. It seems like nanotech alone would work, or just the integration of tech without the nanites, but the two of them together makes one of them seem unnecessary. It feels like they're putting in extra work at some point, and I have difficulty locating that point.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Babies at least make sense to me. They'd presumably correct for natal defects or whatever post-birth with machinery.

Another one born with two eyes and individuality

But we can fix that!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Another one born with two eyes and individuality

But we can fix that!

Borg the Builder

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

skasion posted:

How is babby borged

They need to do way instain queen> who asimsilate thier babbys, becuse these babby cant resist? It was on the news this mroing a brog in ar who had assimlatr three kids, and they fall back too lady to rest. not again ; the lien msut be draw here

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

They need to do way instain queen> who asimsilate thier babbys, becuse these babby cant resist? It was on the news this mroing a brog in ar who had assimlatr three kids, and they fall back too lady to rest. not again ; the lien msut be draw here

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sir Lemming posted:

:xd:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

:agreed:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If I were Borg I'd be like "What about just a little bit farther" and Picard would be like "Ok fine just this once"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Brawnfire posted:

God drat, they thought about the Borg so, so little.

Why is it already covered in eye bits and cables and mechanical wotsits? It's a fetus, it's not even done developing yet, what possible advantage can there be to grafting technology onto it at this stage? Or is the technology developing apace with the fetus? Will a tiny little laser-retina form alongside the developing eye? Will a length of cable form and coil itself around the new spine like a morning glory?

If there's one thing the Borg needs, it's every single thing about them to be explained to the audience. Leave no stone unturned. The more we see and the more we know about every detail the better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd like to see Guinan again but for that. Somehow they managed to resist ever explaining anything about her, and I don't trust them to bring her back while being content to continue not explaining what her deal is.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

skasion posted:

How is babby borged

needs an aborgtion

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Eiba posted:

Picard show actually looks like it could own. Plenty to nitpick if you're so inclined, and they could totally drop the ball still, but the trailer, in contrast to every Discovery trailer, actually inspires hope. That's amazing.

That shot of Seven of Nine has inspired me to watch all of Voyager. The only Star Trek series I haven't seen every episode of.

How big a mistake am I making?

Maybe a long bland "more TNG" style show will be refreshing after things like Discovery (which I do quite like) and modern TV in general.

It mostly sucks and there is no reason at all you should watch all of it. Find a list of good episodes maybe and knock em out on saturday

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

Find a list of good episodes maybe and knock em out on saturday
What are they going to do after they finish their coffee tho

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I'd like to see Guinan again but for that. Somehow they managed to resist ever explaining anything about her, and I don't trust them to bring her back while being content to continue not explaining what her deal is.

It was not good when they brought her back for Generations.

She's great, but she kind of deflates the tension of the show. As long as this lady who knows the future is still hanging around, you know you're not in too much trouble.

But let me pitch this: "Captian, the Borg cube piloted by Romulans is bearing down on us ... and, what's this? Guinan has stolen a shuttle and left without a word." Oh, now poo poo's gotten real.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

skasion posted:

The most interesting thing about Eye of the Needle is a throwaway moment near the end. The Romulan guy says he could tell Starfleet not to send Voyager out after the Maquis so they would never get stranded. Chakotay is like “no, that would gently caress up the timelines of the Delta Quadrant people we’ve already met”. Nobody says anything further about this, but just think about it from his point of view: if Voyager never got sent after Chakotay in the first place, he and the other Maquis guys would just get retroactively stuck in the DQ by themselves.

To be fair, Chakotay and friends would have just used the Caretaker thing and gone home because they weren't sanctimonious idiots

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Guinan doesn't know the future.

You know DS9 had a guinan played by Prince Humperdinck? He opened a bar competing with Quark's, motorboated a dabo girl, and got scammed out of his money.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

It mostly sucks and there is no reason at all you should watch all of it. Find a list of good episodes maybe and knock em out on saturday

A skip list might be easier than a watch list if you want to see the ones that have at least some merit. Like, for sure skip all the ones that are 100% recycled TNG plots with no interesting angle to them and don't even have any worthwhile crew interactions.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

To be fair, Chakotay and friends would have just used the Caretaker thing and gone home because they weren't sanctimonious idiots

Was it ever explained why Voyager couldn't just use a time-delayed detonation to blow up the Array after they'd sent themselves home?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Was it ever explained why Voyager couldn't just use a time-delayed detonation to blow up the Array after they'd sent themselves home?

The would be no way to verify it from the other end. If it failed or was stopped you'd basically be handing a nuclear bomb to whatever fool next stumbled upon it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Having just watched it: There were Kazon like right there shooting at them in an attempt to get at the Array. They didn't have much time to build and place tamper proof timed bombs. The threat of it being co-opted was pretty immediate and understandable. One of the less contrived issues, honestly.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should have used the array to send the Kazon to the Gamma quadrant and let the founders worry about them. They wouldn't last 5 minutes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Thine Own Self was interesting because the dramatic irony of the radioactive metal added an extra stake to the proceedings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

A question that Seven asked in 'The Voyager Conspiracy'! (So why did Voyager have those special bombs aboard, anyway?)