Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CPColin posted:

Checking in to say I think Data looked fine in that trailer.

I am not sure about how Data looks but also, he is an android from the future that the Federation has had decades to figure out all you need is one line of...

"Working with federation scientists I have decided to age more human adapting my programming and body to age more normally like a human."

Personally, I kinda like the idea of the Soon Androids slowly becoming a race of people post-TNG era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Speaking of appreciation, Greatest Generation has improved a lot since their late TNG days.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Here's my take on Data and why he looked different from TNG, the movies and in Picard. It's all make believe you loving dorks. He's not a real android. Guess what else, they aren't even really in space!

:c00lbert:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Croatoan posted:

Here's my take on Data and why he looked different from TNG, the movies and in Picard. It's all make believe you loving dorks. He's not a real android. Guess what else, they aren't even really in space!

Mods?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I can't imagine anyone thinking Data looked normal in that trailer. But then again I thought Leia* in Rogue One looked fine and didn't get all the criticism. I agreed with most people about Tarkin's* appearance though; it's like they got too proud of their FX job and decided to press their luck with a bunch of unnecessary closeups.

I guess these effects just hit people differently. v:shobon:v

* eh, can't be too careful I guess

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Data doesn't look "normal" but we don't have any goddamn context

If they retcon him into always looking like a creepy doll though that would invalidate several of his undercover "I'm from south america" and "Mr Radioactive" bits

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am not sure about how Data looks but also, he is an android from the future that the Federation has had decades to figure out all you need is one line of...

"Working with federation scientists I have decided to age more human adapting my programming and body to age more normally like a human."

Personally, I kinda like the idea of the Soon Androids slowly becoming a race of people post-TNG era.

:yossame: and I wish they had just put the Data makeup on Spiner's face and left it at that instead of smoothing out all the lines in his face like they did

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Clearly the Data we see in the trailer is holographic and the reason he looks weird is because it's how he sees himself as a result of being uploaded into B4's janky brain, or he's evolved enough to develop self image issues. :pseudo:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Croatoan posted:

Why would someone watch Voyager let alone again?

Voyager defense crew checking in. No seriously though, I really enjoy this show. As much as TNG and Deep Space 9? Absolutely not, it has significantly more bad episodes then either of those shows, but I still love the characters, setting, and most of the show in general. It's still massively better than Enterprise, and Discovery, both of which are true honest to god trash fires.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Disco is way ahead of VOY and ENT, even with its problems

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I said come in! posted:

but I still love the characters

tell me what's to love about Harry Kim

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Drone posted:

I liked when the Hendersens adopted him. He looked really sad when John Lithgow said he had to leave.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Drone posted:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

They established he already had that during TNG

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Drone posted:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Disco is way ahead of VOY and ENT, even with its problems

Lol no

I would say at the very least they're similar in that both shows absolutely get dunked on by their much better contemporaries. by the end of its second season Voyager had turned out at least a couple of okay ish episodes, STD has yet to string a coherent story together without running into massive and obvious plot holes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MikeJF posted:

Voyager has the best opening sequence at least.

It's very sad that you've not seen DS9, I'd remedy that as soon as possible.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Taear posted:

It's very sad that you've not seen DS9, I'd remedy that as soon as possible.

As a big DS9 fan, Voyager's opening theme and cinematics blow DS9s out of space

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Croatoan posted:

Get out of my room, Derek

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Bloop posted:

:same:

One second out of context clip :kingsley::kingsley::kingsley:

One second out of context clip: Let me explain why I can make fun of fat people because it's only a fictional character.

The Bloop posted:

Data doesn't look "normal" but we don't have any goddamn context

If they retcon him into always looking like a creepy doll though that would invalidate several of his undercover "I'm from south america" and "Mr Radioactive" bits

Weird continuity... in my Star Trek?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Zesty posted:

One second out of context clip: Let me explain why I can make fun of fat people because it's only a fictional character.

Weird continuity... in my Star Trek?

Oh gently caress off, mate

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"Virtuoso" was a really good episode of Voyager. The first half is very TOS-like in the "planet of hat people" way

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

The Bloop posted:

:same:

One second out of context clip :kingsley::kingsley::kingsley:

If it turns out the context is Data wanted to experience the human condition of fatness all will be forgiven

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Personally I think Data looked passable for what they need, and I am going to cut them some slack because I'm sure they have a decent budget but not like, Marvel money.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
his cheeks were slightly puffy like he had a gland thing going on or an allergic reaction, not like he ate an entire cheesecake factory jfc people

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
2019 Data looks a lot better in motion compared to that one static shot going around where he looks like he's holding a bunch of marbles in his mouth.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Brawnfire posted:

As a big DS9 fan, Voyager's opening theme and cinematics blow DS9s out of space

DS9 is my favorite Trek, without a doubt. The opening sequence is a boring, 3 minute long, mostly unbroken pan shot of the space station, and then a wormhole opens.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The Golden Gael posted:

What's this guy's deal anyhow? How did he come to be the king of the nerds? Just right place, right time, first of his kind luck?

EAS has a ton of really cool in-depth analysis about stuff nerds care about when they're into Star Trek a little more than is healthy. For example, here's an oft-cited article about the true size of the Defiant. The site used to feature more interesting analysis, but in the Long Night after 2005 turned into him (and some others) exhaustively cataloging every single prop that was ever on the show.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

curiousTerminal posted:

DS9 is my favorite Trek, without a doubt. The opening sequence is a boring, 3 minute long, mostly unbroken pan shot of the space station, and then a wormhole opens.

Even the 4K remake couldn't make it interesting :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtUmm5mTehM

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

that hair

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
DS9 has the superior theme (post s4) but Voyager does have good intro effects, if only the show lived up to them.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Croatoan posted:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

This is some fanfic I can get behind

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Thom12255 posted:

DS9 has the superior theme (post s4) but Voyager does have good intro effects, if only the show lived up to them.

The Voyager intro is literally the best theme and some of the best visuals of the entire franchise. Best intro bar none.

Love that shot of it cutting through the clouds.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They would have got back a lot faster if they didn't keep going to that system at the start of every episode.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
My large and beautiful Data.

BBA

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

One of People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People in the World, 1997 staring at you there.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Isn't there like hours and hours of old footage of Data they could have just like digitally rotoscop'd into whatever they needed?

Of course it's easier just to get the actor back but whatever.

I find it laff that this is a franchise that recasts like crazy now ( :spock: ) but then is going to great lengths to do fan service for this series... oh wait they've blown all of their good will on Discovery so fan service is all they have left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CPColin posted:

Checking in to say I think Data looked fine in that trailer.

I think what's really weird about it is he's wearing a mask of his own face to cover up the aging. That's why it's so puffy and his mouth looks odd when he talks.

I don't think it's bad though. The dude's 20 years older than the last time we saw him, if you want him to look like an ageless robot what are you going to do. It's not going to be perfect.