Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dewgy posted:

e: ^^^ oh hell yeah :getin:

tbh I think the secret to this is you have to take games on their own terms. Borderlands isn’t CoD, NieR:A isn’t Devil May Cry, RDR2 isn’t...whatever the hell people complaining about RDR2 expected it to be.

I expected it to be.... good :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vikar Jerome posted:

strong likely hood ps4 is getting doom 1-3 today. it was accidently leaked earlier then taken down for switch and now doom 1 & 2 on android so i guess its a wide release.

This is now official, just mentioned in the QuakeCon keynote.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Any hints on PS+ next month yet?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Got a unique "Playstation Hits" question if anyone owns Until Dawn in that version: does the disc require a large patch (i.e. it's version 1.00 on the disc), or is it a more recent version?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kibayasu posted:

I expected it to be.... good :smug:

You are just ruining the spirit of my post, mister. <:mad:>

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

univbee posted:

Got a unique "Playstation Hits" question if anyone owns Until Dawn in that version: does the disc require a large patch (i.e. it's version 1.00 on the disc), or is it a more recent version?

lol

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Still having lots of fun with Days Gone. I thought I was getting toward the end of the game and was sad for it, but then like the map expanded like half again as large so now I have a cool new area to ride around and it's fun and good.

Another thing I like that the game does is that it eases you into new enemies to fight. Early on there's wolves and basic freakers abound, but like you won't see a bear until you fight a bear as part of a mission in game, and you won't see the other special zombi---freakers until you fight them in a mission. Even as far into the game as I think I am there's still new enemies to fight that mixes it up, but even the basic freakers can still give trouble if I'm being cocky.

Also the comparisons to RDR2 but without all the baggage is pretty funny because they've very similar. Open world, you pat/repair your horse/bike, you feed/fuel your horse/bike, you only hold a few weapons, cover shooter (though stealth is much more a thing in Days Gone), clear out camps, have long rides to missions, etc. There's even been a long dramatic bike ride with a song playing.

They both even have random encounters, but RDR2 is better here, more variety. Days Gone's random encounters happen more off road so you have to go make an effort to get to them when a blue ? appears, and there's not as much variety to them, but it's cool when you're riding along and some freakers are attacking a car and you save the person inside.

And I think the player charater Deek is good, the actor plays him well. Before the game was released I think it was easy to see a picture of the character and hear his name DEACON ST JOHN!!! and think they were trying too hard, and it's not fair at all after playing the game.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
considering how much people reference it in this thread and in this forum as a whole, how many of you have ever eaten molasses, let alone walked through it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

bows1 posted:

considering how much people reference it in this thread and in this forum as a whole, how many of you have ever eaten molasses, let alone walked through it

I'll never forget that horrible day in Boston...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bows1 posted:

Eaten it on its own? Because I expect most people have eaten it as part of baked goods.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
EA Access became available today on PS4 for $30 annually. Anyone considering getting it? I’m undecided if it’s worth it, but I’m also one of the schmucks who buys their sports games every couple years.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The only things that interested me in that line up was A Way Out and, not in a good way, Anthem so I'm skipping it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I heard on the giant beastcast that Judgement is kinda a more down to earth Yakuza game, maybe a bit more mundane in terms of the characters role? Loved Yakuza Zero so it sounds intriguing.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Judgement is kinda a more down to earth Yakuza game

lol

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm only on chapter 5, but that's kinda true? I'm just trailing people all over the city dressed as a vampire but the goof level does seem generally reduced.

Yagami is not as funny a dude as Kiryu.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

bows1 posted:

Tahini mixed with grape molasses spread on bread is a delicacy where I'm from. :discourse:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nottherealaborn posted:

EA Access became available today on PS4 for $30 annually. Anyone considering getting it? I’m undecided if it’s worth it, but I’m also one of the schmucks who buys their sports games every couple years.

The lack of PS3 games is pretty weak. It's way better on PC/XBOX

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Fix posted:

I'm only on chapter 5, but that's kinda true? I'm just trailing people all over the city dressed as a vampire but the goof level does seem generally reduced.

Yagami is not as funny a dude as Kiryu.

im only half way through chapter 3 but it seems like yakuza to me. the side cases seem as goofy and hilarious as any yakuza. i mean panty profressor and rear end catchem and the main story seems as straight and serious as any other yakuza too. yagami is not as serious and stern faced as kiryu.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Lobok posted:

Eaten it on its own? Because I expect most people have eaten it as part of baked goods.

On its own of course

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is there anyway to decrease the volume of the start up and menu sounds? Not off, just down, because they are very loud. I have to turn the volume down on my TV when I turn the PS4 on, and then turn it back up when I start watching a movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bows1 posted:

On its own of course

So just like, pouring molasses directly into one's mouth?

Definitely done that so I hope that qualifies me for using the simile.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

univbee posted:

PS hits games run on the last patch available when they got released like HZD Complete edition "PS Hits" is patched up to date and I guess Until Dawn is aswell. I didn't get a single patch on my digital Until Dawn since I got it as freebie on PS+.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Marvel v Capcom Infinite: worth 14 bucks?

Tekken 7: worth 14 bucks?

Buddy and I are looking for fighting games to play online. We’d only play against each other and we both have good internet.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Apparently Bethesda is scorched-earthing the PS3 ports of Doom 1/2, like if you delete them you can't even redownload them just like PT

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rolo posted:

Buddy and I are looking for fighting games to play online. We’d only play against each other and we both have good internet.

Infinite: NOOOOOO stay far away

Tekken: Yes

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Apparently Bethesda is scorched-earthing the PS3 ports of Doom 1/2, like if you delete them you can't even redownload them just like PT

IIRC the PS3 version of Doom1/2 is the only way to play the Master Levels on a console.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

this should basically be illegal

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I heard on the giant beastcast that Judgement is kinda a more down to earth Yakuza game, maybe a bit more mundane in terms of the characters role? Loved Yakuza Zero so it sounds intriguing.

Yeah, that's a good way to look at it. You're not gonna be fighting a gorilla in a luchador outfit like in 0 or fighting tigers (2) or sharks underwater in 6. It's pretty straightforward.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rolo posted:

Tekken 7 is considered the GOAT fighting game by a ton of people. I’m nowhere near good enough to say that but I totally get it. It’s deep like learning a new sport or a new instrument. It will overwhelm the gently caress out of you at first if you’re new to Tekken but if you push through it’s incredibly rewarding. It’s such a well designed game that high level plays still seems to be evolving every year. Most people seem to think that a Tekken 8 barely even makes sense at this point because of how good 7 is. At low levels it’s not too hard to figure out what you need to work on by the way. I actually found it easier to get through the beginner slump compared to much more basic fgs.

Worth $14? Absolutely. If anything it’s a very unique fighting game that will help you realize what you like or dislike about the genre.

Imhotep posted:

Did you ever play Blue Dragon for the 360? I picked it up just because Akira Toriyama's art and because Hironobu Sakaguchi directed it, and I felt like playing a new, old school RPG, with dope Akira Toriyama character and monster designs. I need to play it again, if I ever get a 360 or an Xbox again, because I remember enjoying it, and Lost Odyssey, the studio's other RPG, quite a bit.

I think I did a little bit. Maybe a demo or a rental? I loved the art style but I wasn’t really into jrpgs back then so I bounced off of it. Character/monster designs were killer though. Toriyama is a legend. God drat do I ever love his style. I know this is the least original idea ever but I want to try to draw some of his stuff and experiment with his style. His stuff is so clean and minimal but gives you the entire vibe of a character or monster right away.

acksplode posted:

It's making me look into getting DQXI, which is an incredible accomplishment. The writing is light and goofy but still very good, maybe I won't mind playing a JRPG with similar qualities

Same! I was always interested in DQXI but now I’m definitely going to get it. I want to spend so much time in this world. Hopefully the switch edition upgrades make it to the PS4 before I decide to buy.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Apparently the Switch Doom ports require a Bethesda account and are always online. Anyone know if that’s true for the PS4 versions?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s awesome about Tekken 7 being good because I played the absolute poo poo out of 5. I’m gonna get into it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

man nurse posted:

Apparently the Switch Doom ports require a Bethesda account and are always online. Anyone know if that’s true for the PS4 versions?

From what I'm seeing you for the Switch version you have to sign in with an account but can then play offline? But that sucks rear end since it still means it can go away whenever Bethesda wants it to.

How the gently caress are you going to do that to DOOM and DOOM ][: HELL ON EARTH of all games.

Them taking both of those off the PS3 store sucks but you can at least still get them on a disk for PS3 with the BFG Edition of Doom 3.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

online gaming was a mistake

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

From what I'm seeing you for the Switch version you have to sign in with an account but can then play offline? But that sucks rear end since it still means it can go away whenever Bethesda wants it to.

How the gently caress are you going to do that to DOOM and DOOM ][: HELL ON EARTH of all games.

Them taking both of those off the PS3 store sucks but you can at least still get them on a disk for PS3 with the BFG Edition of Doom 3.

It rules that games age like milk, the only way to play them legally on new hardware is to repurchase the slim fraction that publishers bother to re-release, and that these re-releases can effectively be trojan horses for surveillance. I love this, this is good to me :cawg:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Would LOVE to play Doom 3 again on a modern machine. I think the BFG edition is backwards compatible on the Bone but I love my PS4 more

nvm it's out on god's best console the nintendo Switch

https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/1154803629620002816

https://twitter.com/GBASPGamer/status/1154805677828628480

oof

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How important are the dlc characters for tekken7 and will I get fomo if I don’t get the ultimate edition

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Steve Yun posted:

How important are the dlc characters for tekken7 and will I get fomo if I don’t get the ultimate edition

IMO Lei is a great character and worth the price of the DLC alone. The others are hit and miss but on balance they're worth getting.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

I'm guessing this is for copyright stuff?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I mean, it’s not remotely close to the worst music in a DOOM port, but this shouldn’t be an issue in 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How do you mess up a Doom port? Not just in 2019, but anytime in the last 20 years?