Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Lacey posted:

I think she was most popular in the 90s? I tried to read the Black Trillium series but it sucked. Also someone I went to school with named their daughter Gwynhwyfar (or however it's spelled), which I'm pretty sure is from Mists of Avalon.

To be fair, Gwynhwyfar is actually the original form of Guinevere, which became the modern "Jennifer." This has been the most interesting fact in your day, thanks for coming to my lecture.

E: oh, But she totally named her after the (lovely) character in MoA, there's no way she didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

is C. S. Friedman cancelled? i liked all them True Night books

Not as far as I know

If you enjoyed those you should also check out her Magister trilogy, it's thematically similar to Coldfire but with the benefit of fifteen years more writing experience. Her SF is also pretty good.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I knew one back in college. He was a big fan and owned several of her books, some of which he lent to me. M.Z. Bradley and also Anne McCaffrey, whose name I had entirely forgotten and had to figure out now through a convoluted google search that started from “Perm Dragons”.

Now I have the image in my head of dragons with glorious 80s hair, so thanks for that.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

To be fair, Gwynhwyfar is actually the original form of Guinevere, which became the modern "Jennifer." This has been the most interesting fact in your day, thanks for coming to my lecture.

E: oh, But she totally named her after the (lovely) character in MoA, there's no way she didn't.

Wasn't Gwynhwyfar also the name of the cat this one black guy with twin katanas had? I barely remember anything about the one book I read about that guy, except I didn't like it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Dareon posted:

Wasn't Gwynhwyfar also the name of the cat this one black guy with twin katanas had? I barely remember anything about the one book I read about that guy, except I didn't like it.

Wow, I do not remember The Mists of Avalon as well as I thought I did! Was that Bedivere?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Doc Hawkins posted:

is C. S. Friedman cancelled? i liked all them True Night books

I'm cancelling her as we speak.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Trap sprung, etc. but that's Drizzt from R. A. Salvatore's seemingly endless book series.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Drizzt's panther's name was "Guenhwyvar"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ToxicFrog posted:

Not as far as I know

If you enjoyed those you should also check out her Magister trilogy, it's thematically similar to Coldfire but with the benefit of fifteen years more writing experience. Her SF is also pretty good.

are you suggesting coldfire is not sf

:toughguy:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wtf is all this book barn stuff itt?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Theres a pyf terrible book thread btw

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728926

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Wow, I do not remember The Mists of Avalon as well as I thought I did! Was that Bedivere?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the topiccck the topicckkk people are straying off topicccc hisssssss

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Lacey posted:

I think she was most popular in the 90s? I tried to read the Black Trillium series but it sucked. Also someone I went to school with named their daughter Gwynhwyfar (or however it's spelled), which I'm pretty sure is from Mists of Avalon.
Jesus Christ, and I thought Xanthe Wigfall was an unfortunate name.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Hirayuki posted:

Jesus Christ, and I thought Xanthe Wigfall was an unfortunate name.

It is, however, a spectacular drag queen name.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Dareon posted:

You'll have to be more specific. Like half the black people I know dual-wield katanas on a day-to-day basis.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

You'll have to be more specific. Like half the black people I know dual-wield katanas on a day-to-day basis.

Just the one, huh?

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Skwirl posted:

I would take a loving bat to the car if I caught someone doing that.

Phy posted:

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FILCH A STRANGER IN THE AMPS

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Skwirl posted:

Congratulations on making your barista loving hate you.

Mak0rz posted:

YOUR WELCOME ☺️

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

If I wanted to read Piers Anthony I'd just read it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Marcade posted:

Trap sprung, etc. but that's Drizzt from R. A. Salvatore's seemingly endless book series.

Did you guyes know Drizzt is a black elf, who escapes the black elf theocratic underground society? In the underground their real, actually existing, goddess, who interferes with real world events all the time, commands that the women are in charge and the men are slaves fit for fighting and loving.

There probably is some political message buried in there but I'm too hung over right now to present any conclusions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

doverhog posted:

Did you guyes know Drizzt is a black elf, who escapes the black elf theocratic underground society? In the underground their real, actually existing, goddess, who interferes with real world events all the time, commands that the women are in charge and the men are slaves fit for fighting and loving.

There probably is some political message buried in there but I'm too hung over right now to present any conclusions.

I like to think of Drow as basically what a Dwarf Fortress gimmick run looks like in-universe.

I heard the Drizz't books tend to be fairly entertaining schlock, and apparently very good fight scenes, the author's apparently a trained boxer.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I sure love learning about abysmal genre fiction by reading this, the Funny Quotes thread!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

doverhog posted:

Driz'zt is part of the Forgotten Realms setting, so saying that the goddess actually exists and interferes with real world affairs isn't exactly remarkable. All of the FR gods exist and interfere with the world in that setting, and there's a whole bunch of books and D&D campaigns centered on when two of the gods gently caress around and try to steal from their creator, and as punishment he exiles all the gods to mortal forms on the earth. A bunch of gods die during this time and a bunch more mortals die, the souls of the dead get stuck without the god of death to oversee their passage to the afterlife, magic gets all hosed up because the goddess of magic isn't able to keep poo poo in line, the entire world goes to war.

For a story about a D&D setting, it's a pretty cool concept, it's too bad that most D&D novels are written by total hacks.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
It's remarkable to someone who hears the name Drizzt but has no idea what Forgotten Realms is.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Is that the one where the goddess of magic is just "this random bear that was in the woods at the right time" for a week or so?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Is that the one where the goddess of magic is just "this random bear that was in the woods at the right time" for a week or so?

lmao I don't remember that, but that owns

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

barbecue at the folks posted:

I sure love learning about abysmal genre fiction by reading this, the Funny Quotes thread!

The best way to fix this is always: find funny quotes and post them.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

doverhog posted:

It's remarkable to someone who hears the name Drizzt but has no idea what Forgotten Realms is.

when I was a kid I lied to my friends and told them Forgotten Realms was a version of the Marvel Super-Heroes RPG that had all the characters, including DC characters, and the dice rolls would be done electronically

this lie was, to put it lightly, unsustainable

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Yes, that comes after the next time a bunch of poo poo with the Gods goes down.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Arivia posted:

Yes, that comes after the next time a bunch of poo poo with the Gods goes down.

The temples must have been more interesting at least

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DemoneeHo posted:

My (23M) best friend (23M) is a Cool Runnings denier. It is all he talks about now. How do I convince him that Jamaica had a bobsled team and should I be concerned?

quote:

My friend has become adamant that cool runnings was a hoax and that Jamaica never had a bobsled team until very recently. Now I understand that cool runnings is “inspired” by a true story, but it is true that Jamaica has had a bobsled team since 1988. He doesn’t believe this. He thinks that Jamaica only created a bobsled team recently because they wanted to boost the blu ray sales of the movie.

I tried to show him actual video of the 1988 Jamaican Bobsled crash, and he said it was doctored video of a different country's bobsled team. He tried to show me a documentary style video he made pointing out all of the inaccuracies in the video compared to the actual competition. The video is called, “History’s Greatest Lie: The ‘Cool Runnings’ Hoax”. Whenever I question him to a point where he can’t counter my argument he says something like, “C’mon. You can’t really believe that Jamaica had a bobsled team? It’s a tropical country! They’ve never even seen snow! It’s too hot, how would they practice?” He doesn’t believe in any other conspiracy theories either; He regularly makes fun of flat earth, anti vax, moon landing conspiracy theorists etc.

I’m starting to get worried about him and I can’t just ignore it because he’s devoting more and more time to “unraveling” the hoax. He’s my best friend and I really want to help him. How can I convince him that Cool Runnings was inspired by a true story?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I know it's fake but I don't care

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
[/quote]

Of all the things to get worked up on why would you choose that stupid hillock?

The more I learn about people the more I think we're all just barely functional machines on the fritz

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's an extremely obvious shitpost but it's also one of the greatest shitposts I've ever seen

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it's an extremely obvious shitpost but it's also one of the greatest shitposts I've ever seen

At this point I'm willing to accept literally anything if it sounds dumb enough.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Are you implying that Cool Runnings hoax friend is just a hoax?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
"It's great to see such good turnout for TEDx Scottsdale, and I'd like to thank you all for attending this presentation."

*Hammers on a remote for 15 seconds finally summoning the first of many PowerPoint slides:

The Subtle Wokeness of Ed Greenwood

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

[/quote]

I mean there's absolutely no way that egg would have survived unbroken inside that guys pants so yeah, maybe he's on to something.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Quiet Feet posted:

Are you implying that Cool Runnings hoax friend is just a hoax?

A Cool Runnings truther truther.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Bertrand Hustle posted:

lmao I don't remember that, but that owns

Someone get me some titles cause damned if that god war and magic bear doesn't sound bugfuck insane enough to be amazing.