Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

SlothfulCobra posted:

The last 4 Star Trek shows were named after the vessel that the crew rode around in, so I think Patrick Stewart is going to be giving a lot of piggyback rides.

"Piggy... back"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"As late as the 21st century, the back of a parent used as a navigational vessel by his or her children was referred to using a diminutive name for the back of a pig. Used in a sentence, in the event of an emergency, I am equipped to offer a piggy back ride with a load capacity of up to 758 kilodynes. The word originated ---"
"That's enough, Data."

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pigs, also called hogs or swine, were Earth animals that were often associated with farming. They had the reputation of being dirty and eating anything.

In 2267, Sulu noted that the planet Omicron Ceti III had no horses or pigs... and not even a dog. (TOS: "This Side of Paradise")

The SS Mariposa took thirty Berkshire pigs with them on their initial mission in 2123. By 2365, the Bringloidi colony that the USS Enterprise evacuated brought many pigs on board the ship. (TNG: "Up The Long Ladder")

The Fair Haven holoprogram character Maggie O'Halloran was engaged to a pig farmer. (VOY: "Fair Haven")

Insults

Pigs also worked their way into many slang sayings. Being called a "pig" or "swine" was an insult in many languages.

In 2268, to convey the fact that she did not like him, Elaan called Petri a "swine" and later a "Troyian pig." She later yet referred to the Troyan ruler as a "green pig." (TOS: "Elaan of Troyius") The Nazi-influenced Ekosians referred to those they pursued as "Zeon pigs". (TOS: "Patterns of Force")

Doctor McCoy once used the phrase "in a pig's eye" to describe that he was being sarcastic and didn't, in fact, believe something. (TOS: "Amok Time")

In 2371, in the mirror universe, when Tuvok sounded a note of caution regarding Rom's reckless idea to attack Terok Nor, Rom told him that it was easy for him to say, as "those Cardassian pigs" didn't kill his brother. (DS9: "Through the Looking Glass")

When B'Elanna Torres first met Tom Paris, she thought he was an "arrogant, self-absorbed pig". Four years later, she said jokingly that he had changed into a "stubborn, domineering pig". (VOY: "The Cloud", "Day of Honor")

In 2374, when Tom Paris met the Nazi Kapitän in a simulation of World War II created by the Hirogen and learned of his affair with Brigitte (B'Elanna Torres's holographic alter ego in the program), he described him as a "pig". (VOY: "The Killing Game, Part II")

Foods

Several Human foods were made from the meat of pigs, such as bacon and sausage.

Bacon and eggs
Boar's head
Ham
Ham schnitzel
Hot dog (frank)
Pork
Pork chop
Vietnamese pork
Sausage
Denobulan sausage
Similar speciesEdit
Drayjin
Pus hog
Targ
Tellarite
Wild boar

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Computer, create an idiom capable of defeating Data.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Drone posted:

Computer, create an idiom capable of defeating Data.

*the Enterprise-D explodes*

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just want to say overall Alexander is way better than Wesley because his being torn between what the Klingons expect for him and what he wishes for himself are really interesting.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Alexander is interesting because the ideas surrounding his character are all sound and could go interesting places and then he has Worf for a father.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Oh yeah, I actually commented on this during my watchthrough. Something like "poor Spiner, they have to admit he's aging"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Orv posted:

Alexander is interesting because the ideas surrounding his character are all sound and could go interesting places and then he has Worf for a father.

It actually does, the first Klingon Diplomat working to unite the warring clans even at the cost of his personal happiness, given his late fathers blessing after considering himself a failure to just keep on trucking until he succeeds, and even if he doesn't, he'll spark a long process that may span generations but it will get hte next generations talking about it. If he does succeed at uniting them himself, that kind of makes him Klingon King Arthur to Kahless' Klingon Jesus

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

8one6 posted:

In a universe that contains TOS and DS9 this is objectively incorrect.

The" two seasons rule" doesn't apply to TOS because it never got good ooooo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Khanstant posted:

The" two seasons rule" doesn't apply to TOS because it never got good ooooo

Same but unironically.

DS9 season one I'd still say is overall bad. Two is good though.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

galenanorth posted:

"As late as the 21st century, the back of a parent used as a navigational vessel by his or her children was referred to using a diminutive name for the back of a pig. Used in a sentence, in the event of an emergency, I am equipped to offer a piggy back ride with a load capacity of up to 758 kilodynes. The word originated ---"
"That's enough, Data."

p. sure Data can carry more than 2 pounds (dynes suck)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Head too big for face!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

p. sure Data can carry more than 2 pounds (dynes suck)

:thunk: maybe 70 kilonewtons (roughly 7,000 kg under Earth gravity)

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 26, 2019

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Drone posted:

Weirdly their Facebook page doesn't have many shots of the interior, and none of the exterior. It's a chain hair salon (like a Great Clips in the US), and the outside is all really dark tinted glass with a giant frosted word "STARGATE" above the salon chain logo.

Where is this?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm in for them sticking to TNG tech including the warp 10 limit.

"Warp 9.999999999999 ....engage"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Senor Tron posted:

Gotta make sure nobody turns into a gila monster again.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Senor Tron posted:

I wonder how many trillion yottaquads the computers will have by now

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Doing a pre-"Picard" watch through of key episodes and started with "Fairpoint." I usually skip this one unless I want to put something on to fall asleep. I don't get why its so maligned. It's got some cheesy stuff in it but the courtroom scenes rule and Stewart and DeLancie performances are on point. Special effects are also pretty cool for TV from that era. Data is fun too, exhibiting signs of being a standout character in his first few scenes.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Oh, poo poo, now I'm in the second half of the episode, now I remember, haha. Well, it's just kind of boring, but whatevs. Those sweet Q scenes are still worth it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Farpoint is okay if you already know what you're getting into. But if it's either your introduction to Trek as a whole OR you were a big fan of TOS first, it's remarkably unimpressive.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Farpoint’s biggest problem is that, aside from the Q scenes, it’s easily the least interesting episode of the first season. It’s just so aggressively dull.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Farpoint is just kind of weird. The show’s familiar elements aren’t quite established yet so everyone seems mildly out of character. And it’s not a thrilling plot either tbh. The Q court scenes are the only really successful element.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Same but unironically.

DS9 season one I'd still say is overall bad. Two is good though.

I only can't really say that I don't think it's good because I've just never been able to get through all of it. DS9 I've seen bits from all over but never start to finish and it seems like the sort of thing that's better if you do so.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
DS9 S1 has a lot of meh to ok episodes, a couple of really good episodes (Duet, Progress), some bad-good episodes (Wishes Were Horses, Move Along Home), and at least one bonafide piece of poo poo (that one murder mystery with the clone)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DS9's real garbage fire episodes are later in the series. Little turds scattered across the otherwise wonderful buffet table.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Doing a pre-"Picard" watch through of key episodes and started with "Fairpoint." I usually skip this one unless I want to put something on to fall asleep. I don't get why its so maligned. It's got some cheesy stuff in it but the courtroom scenes rule and Stewart and DeLancie performances are on point. Special effects are also pretty cool for TV from that era. Data is fun too, exhibiting signs of being a standout character in his first few scenes.
It's too loving long

I rewatched it last week and I really had a hard time staying interested. There just isn't enough of a story there.

I also totally forgot that most of the Q stuff is in the first part, not the second. I had forgotten that Riker, Crusher, Geordi, etc don't even show up until Part 2.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Farpoint’s biggest problem is that, aside from the Q scenes, it’s easily the least interesting episode of the first season. It’s just so aggressively dull.
I haven't gotten to it yet on my current rewatch, but I remember the episode with the drug addicted people being pretty dull

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watching more Voyager tonight and I would like to make the argument that Janeway secretly wants Voyager to be destroyed, she is suicidal, and she wants to kill her crew as well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

DS9's real garbage fire episodes are later in the series. Little turds scattered across the otherwise wonderful buffet table.

Heart of stone

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Grand Fromage posted:

Profit and Lace, the only DS9 episode I skipped entirely after reading the summary.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pick posted:

Heart of stone

No way. The Nog part of the episode is great.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Trevor Hale posted:

Where is this?

Central Germany.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I haven't gotten to it yet on my current rewatch, but I remember the episode with the drug addicted people being pretty dull

Yeah, that one’s pretty bad too but it at least has the incredibly forced scene where Tasha gives Wesley an extremely 80’s anti-drug PSA.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The A part of Voyager's "Nightingale" with Harry Kim is all right. It was obvious where it was going to go from the start, because a civilian ship being fired upon to the point of destruction doesn't mean that its people are in the right. For example, they could have been working for some Saddam Hussein-like government with the other side committing war crimes. The lying was also obvious, but only from the context of it being within a narrative. The B plot with Icheb and Bell'ana was terrible. Not only does is it an overused "Brady Bunch" type plot, but it's also a bad pairing because there's really only room for one "a character makes mistakes and learns from it" plot with some "ya hate to see it" moments.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 27, 2019

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's too loving long

I rewatched it last week and I really had a hard time staying interested. There just isn't enough of a story there.

I also totally forgot that most of the Q stuff is in the first part, not the second. I had forgotten that Riker, Crusher, Geordi, etc don't even show up until Part 2.

I absolutely love that the way they chose to bring Riker up to speed about events in Part 2 wasn't a discussion in the ship's conference room, like the TNG stereotype, it was by planting him in front of a teevee screen and saying, 'watch this'.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Yeah, that...uh, I totally didn't remember that, having not watched Farpoint in a long long time compared to other episodes until fairly recently. It really stood out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

spincube posted:

I absolutely love that the way they chose to bring Riker up to speed about events in Part 2 wasn't a discussion in the ship's conference room, like the TNG stereotype, it was by planting him in front of a teevee screen and saying, 'watch this'.
It's also literally just the first episode too, I don't even think the shots are different. Which begs the question of who on the ship was recording those events in TV format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

By the 24th century there is an AI on all ships which records events and edits them into digestible narratives for interested Federation citizens. It's the next step in reality TV.