Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

Nah they're not grayed out any more. But they're not super intrusive, and you can click a little arrow so it only shows you the icons and not the names.

loving Warcraft III Reforge when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Having tried all of those, I have to disagree. Even if Steam is terrible (mostly from getting obsolete UI-wise), Origin, uPlay and others are even more terrible (I don't know how they manage to do it, tbh). The only decent store launchers (not talking about single-game stuff like Elite's launcher, though that one has its own problems as well) I can think of are Battle.net and WG launcher at the moment, and even those I uninstall instantly when I am taking breaks from their games. Though to be honest, maybe uPlay and origin improved their functionality lately (hahaha, I doubt that).

To me, an info about free game on uPlay / Origin / Epic / few more stores just means I won't get it. It's just not worth getting extra bloatware into the PC.

Used uPlay the other day. A friend got into the Ghost Recon: Breakpoint technical test, and got to invite 3 friends. Receiving the invite was done through the website, not the launcher. IIRC he had to link me to a specific webpage so I could long in to my launcher account to agree to the ToS. They couldn't do this through the launcher because of reasons. I'm also not sure you can buy games through the launcher. The overlay, from what I've experienced in R6S, functions, except that you access weekly missions through the launcher and they don't tell you that. I'm not sure why it's through the overlay. Basically uPlay doesn't have a reason to exist for me, the consumer, as all it does is mimic Steam badly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

For real yo, I gotta get my enfos on

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

The most intense debate lol ;)

Comeon Beet, its been an ongoing conversation and now we're discussing that launcher since you brought it up. Its not really a debate.

debate was the wrong word for sure, but I really wanted to call you guys dorks and it was all I had :shrug:

e:

I said come in! posted:

I actually don't know but I super want it cause I bought W3 when they released the digital one a while ago and none of the loving cinematics play no matter what I do and it's infuriating.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pilz posted:

Used uPlay the other day. A friend got into the Ghost Recon: Breakpoint technical test, and got to invite 3 friends. Receiving the invite was done through the website, not the launcher. IIRC he had to link me to a specific webpage so I could long in to my launcher account to agree to the ToS. They couldn't do this through the launcher because of reasons. I'm also not sure you can buy games through the launcher. The overlay, from what I've experienced in R6S, functions, except that you access weekly missions through the launcher and they don't tell you that. I'm not sure why it's through the overlay. Basically uPlay doesn't have a reason to exist for me, the consumer, as all it does is mimic Steam badly.

Your story reminded me of the only time I've ever been mad at a game 'launcher' lol

Fuckin' Battlefield man. "Hey what if they had to go to our website every time they wanted to make a party and play with their friends?"

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Pilz posted:

Marginally related, but I fail to understand the purpose of Rockstar Social Club (if that even is still a thing). Or alternatively, I hate Rockstar Social Club's existence to its core.
I remember trying to install and play Max Payne 3 (via Steam) for the first time was a particularly horrible experience. It felt like an hour or more of downloading updates and creating online accounts and failing to sign in for some reason and also having to sign in in subsequent launches because it wouldn't remember my credentials (...).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Your story reminded me of the only time I've ever been mad at a game 'launcher' lol

Fuckin' Battlefield man. "Hey what if they had to go to our website every time they wanted to make a party and play with their friends?"

gently caress me man, that was the dumbest strategy I've ever seen someone pull off and roll with for like 2 sequels. How loving stupid were the execs to do that poo poo? Especially back when PC specs were worse, Chrome didn't exist, and firefox had a loving memory leak allthe drat time.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The Battlelog was loving amazing because DICE can't program a ingame server browser even if their lives depended on it.

Hooah!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
More lile sandweeb

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Sarsapariller posted:

An excellent thread:

What happened to the damage model we were shown in 2015?

100% authoritative Citizen answers include:

* It is in the game
* It is not in the game but it is coming
* It's in the game but they toned it down because the original was too much work
* It's on the roadmap for Q4
* It is in the game but it only works for some ships
* It is in the game but it only works on some servers
* It is in the game but the damage on weapons is much lower than in the demo
* It's totally in the game and it happened to me yesterday

Whatever the answer is, some things are for certain: It's not Chris Roberts' fault, Citizens are 100% happy with the state that it's in, and they definitely have a good grasp of what is going on with development. If you disagree you are a FUDster troll and you must be downvoted.

It's either that Citizens are themselves confused or what's left of their community is a pack of squids. Someone asks a question about missing features and they all create a thick fog of ink before running to hide in the safety of their ~dreams~. Leaving the person asking the question disoriented and confused.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beet Wagon posted:

debate was the wrong word for sure, but I really wanted to call you guys dorks and it was all I had :shrug:

We are most definitely all dorks in this thread, haha

Beet Wagon posted:

Battlefield Facebook pissed me off so much. Ugh.

"Can I please just have a loving .exe to play my game? :cry: "

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Scruffpuff posted:

I didn't go there to buy those things, but there they are anyway. Like it or not, agree with it or not, but we're here now. It's not going to revert. Companies don't care about you; they care about your money. As long as the economy is driven by the lowest-common-denominator consumer, we're gonna have baited hooks in our faces. Which means forever.

If you're visiting NYC, you can pick where to go. You pay for the tickets/hotel/food/transport and you decide what to experience. Even mainstream NYC attractions like MOMA don't have overbearing ads. There is lots of stuff to see in NYC other than times square. It's all up to you.

I paid for SC2 and it's expansions, I did not pay for mandatory spam to access a product I paid for.

And in general, I disagree with the notion that "this is how it has to be." It's all about the right incentives (or disincentives). Mind you, I am not specifically referring to launchers and/or video games; it's more about the principle. BattleNet launcher being full of adware is not a big deal.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.
Jesus Christ CIG do something dumb and for god’s sake do it soon.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Beet Wagon posted:

I'd forgotten how annoying that was.

I have a grand total of 11 hours played across all battlefield games with the exception of 1942 which was cool and good.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Due to the paddle in the above picture, I'm assured that doggo does not work for CIG.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

Due to the paddle in the above picture, I'm assured that doggo does not work for CIG.

:golfclap:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

As far as I know Digital Anvil only really sold one game prior to Freelancer: Starlancer. And there is no clear evidence suggesting the game was even commercially successful.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

:lol: it owns that only the grandpas in this thread are the only people on the internet defending epic other than the obvious paid reddit shills

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Can't believe this FUD factory has shills in it.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skeletors_condom posted:

(...) BattleNet launcher being full of adware is not a big deal.

Tbh I am not sure it's even adware, since it doesn't generate revenue like usual ads - no money for display, no money for click, it installs with your knowledge.

Yes, I know I am being anal about this, what can you do.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

peter gabriel posted:

All game launchers / stores are great

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MedicineHut posted:

As far as I know Digital Anvil only really sold one game prior to Freelancer: Starlancer. And there is no clear evidence suggesting the game was even commercially successful.

Only thing I can find about it is a magazine reference on Wikipedia stating that Starlancer sold around 400k copies (compared to Wing Commander 3 selling above 700k and Wing Commander 4 barely breaking even with just above 200k copies sold). I expect it made a small profit but that's it.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I believe a door upgrade is overdue.

No, not the in-game door. Who cares about those. The other door: https://twitter.com/xKuonn/status/1155762834854166528?s=20

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Jesus Christ CIG do something dumb and for god’s sake do it soon.

Not long till CitizenCON. Always good for some laughs.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

A good example is that I just got GTA 5. The game released in 2013, I waited until 2019 to buy it. I got it for 15 bucks, it includes everything, I can play the single-player game and it runs great, and I can play the online version in a solo session and just gently caress around casually and not give one flying gently caress about a single thing in their online store.

It's the way to go.

If 6 years seems like a long time to wait for a game may I refer you to a little-known project called Star Citizen.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Mods? Spoiler that poo poo man.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Baxta posted:

Mods? Spoiler that poo poo man.

My bad :smith: I figured it was free now, everyone would have.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Ramadu posted:

:lol: it owns that only the grandpas in this thread are the only people on the internet defending epic other than the obvious paid reddit shills

Finally a voice of reason.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Ramadu posted:

It's more that gamers are little babys that complain unimportant poo poo, and it's good to make fun of them for that.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Experimental Skin posted:

My bad :smith: I figured it was free now, everyone would have.

Waiting for it to hit Epic.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Agony Aunt posted:

Not long till CitizenCON. Always good for some laughs.

drat seems like they just did one of those. I started reading this thread in... 2016 maybe, and I was sure we’d get at most a year or two before this dumb game ended one way or another. But whelp here we are.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

I can't believe I made a joke about being mad at a launcher that is incredibly straightforward and presents your games to you immediately and you dorks are now actually debating whether to be mad at it or not :laffo:

I have extremely powerful opinions about the intermediary I buy my games from. Let me tell you about having to download 2 gigs to add 100 cards to hearthstone :argh:

Learn from CIG you Blizzard hacks. Where is the delta updater you fuckos!

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Gamers are scum, but I think that within the context of "things that don't actually matter," it's okay to be disappointed in a company busting onto the market by buying out anticipated games and putting them behind their storefront. Oh, and the storefront is complete dogshit even though all they had to do was literally steal everything from Steam, except hire like 2 people to check all incoming games to screen out all the Unity asset flips and hentai.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Gamers are scum, but I think that within the context of "things that don't actually matter," it's okay to be disappointed in a company busting onto the market by buying out anticipated games and putting them behind their storefront. Oh, and the storefront is complete dogshit even though all they had to do was literally steal everything from Steam, except hire like 2 people to check all incoming games to screen out all the Unity asset flips and hentai.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm loving confused right now. What should I be mad at?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I'll let you know hentai is an art! Art, you see! We can hate on unity asset flips, though. Unless they are hentai, you can always asset flip hentai, because art.

Wait, what were we talking about? Star Critizen?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Politics in gaming.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm loving confused right now. What should I be mad at?

everyone.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Rap music and skateboards.