Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm extremely glad that Jon Lovitz ended up smashing his head into a bar over this

Pretty sure a goon made this masterpiece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's....it's beautiful

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Eiba posted:

Man, Tuvix is such a good episode. The actor did such a good job. He really sold the mix of warmth and intelligence. He's using Neelix's obnoxious ebullience in a much more logical understanding way. You can really see how both characters gain a lot from the merge, and it's incredible to see it so well performed.

It really comes out in his final defense of his existence to Janeway. He's defending the idea that he's a person with rights, but he's being logical and empathetic as he pleads with Janeway, right up until the end. His delivery of "I have the right to live!" was amazing. Just for a moment he's furious that he's in this situation. That's the one of only moments his anger comes out.

People joke about Janeway being cruel and crazy, but honestly I didn't get any of that before this episode. She had a strong sense of principle before this, and even when she was failing to be pragmatic in a frustrating way, I respected why she was adhering to those ideals. Even the Prime Directive episodes weren't that bad. But here for the first time I have trouble respecting her decision. But to the actor's credit, she very clearly portrays a captain not comfortable with what she felt she had to do.

The best moment belonged to the Doctor. Tuvix had broken down pleading with all his friends on the bridge not to be killed and they all remained silent. But when they got to sickbay, the Doctor clearly stated that he would do no harm and have no part in this. He was the only one who spoke up against Janeway in Tuvix's defense.

Jesus, what a tragic story.

I wish Neelix or Tuvok had a line at the end though, acknowledging that they remembered pleading for their life moments ago. Neelix seems happy for Kes, but it's unclear what they think about Tuvix, someone they should know as well as Tuvix knew them.

I can never get over this. Killing Tuvix seems like the worst thing. Then again, I think the ending of Evangelion where everyone exists as a collective pool of LCL is the ideal state of existence for human beings and the only happy ending we got.

They don't even use that episode to like create a lasting and deep bond between Neelix and Tuvok. Or even an uncomfortable rift (any scene with Neelix is inherently uncomfortable but you know what I mean), it was basically back to business as usual. I can tolerate a lot of Janeway's inconsistency and her tending towards rougher options, but killing Tuvix seems straight up evil. Neelix and Tuvok died, it happens, but you don't seem them resurrecting the dead even though they have all the tools theoretically to do so if they wanted. Rarely when two people die are you left with a living person who is an amalgam of the two dead people, greater in their unity than they ever could be as individuals. Janeway is handed a miracle and she seeks a way to destroy it. RIP Tuvix

piratepilates posted:

isn't it just a little crazy how voyager had a sapient AI hologram, and that's never really brought up.

like he wasn't even meant to be turned on for long, he was just the equivalent of an automated triage droid, but for some reason he was programmed well enough to have his own thoughts, emotions, fears, desires, evolving thought.

tng also had a sapient AI created by their own gosh darn computer. they just stuck him in a box and tossed him away like thats not an incredible evolution and something to be celebrated and researched and become a major part of the show.

The "code" for a sentient animal probably isn't as complex as we think it is. It almost seems just like an emergent property of animals once they have enough different senses working together. I would maybe even assert if computing and AI got advanced enough you'd have to go out of your way to prevent it from arising.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 31, 2019

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I watched TMP for the first time a few months back and it was kinda ruined by the knowledge that Decker's a pedo IRL.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hachi machi!

Lester Shy posted:

I watched TMP for the first time a few months back and it was kinda ruined by the knowledge that Decker's a pedo IRL.

Ugh I had forgotten this.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Lester Shy posted:

what are you talking about? he was a nice christian father of seven christian children. the man could do no wrong

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Seven of Nine + Garak = Seven of Rak

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Amazing thing happens in one episode and then is not celebrated or researched and does not become a major part of the show IS Star Trek, though.

In general, we are led to believe that these things are indeed being researched by Top Men Sapients at the federation just not the dozens out of trillions that we see regularly on the show because they have other poo poo to do.

To be fair, think about how many students write thesis in Universities every year that will never be studied. I wrote Master's thesis/capstone that no one will probably ever see or read again.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cellular Peptide Keiko

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jean-Lwucana

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Geordata

His robot eyes don't work, still wears the VISOR.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
It's interesting seeing all these Voyager alumni showing up in Picard.

Of course it's some easy fanservice to throw in some cameos, but I hope it's more the case that these characters have never met Picard before and they are relevant to the plot rather than acting like there's many years of offscreen lost history.

I remain optimistic thought, seven of nine is actually a good choice if the plot is around sentient / independent borgs.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gary Seven + Seven of Nine = Gary of Nine

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Isometric Bacon posted:

It's interesting seeing all these Voyager alumni showing up in Picard.

Of course it's some easy fanservice to throw in some cameos, but I hope it's more the case that these characters have never met Picard before and they are relevant to the plot rather than acting like there's many years of offscreen lost history.

I remain optimistic thought, seven of nine is actually a good choice if the plot is around sentient / independent borgs.

More like some exec saw a list of the most re-watched episodes and calculated a bunch of voyager cameos would be the most popular with the target demo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Riker + Troi + Data = 3 TNG characters

7 of 9 = 1 Voyager character

Did I miss a trailer in the last day or so ? What's the issue with Voyager taking over guest spots on the Picard show ?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Doctor is said to be in it now. I don't think it's a real issue, just fun to play

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Khanstant posted:

The Doctor is said to be in it now. I don't think it's a real issue, just fun to play

No. Robert Picardo said he would be interested in making an appearance if there is a second season. That's a big difference.

I was hoping it would be a miniseries and that's it, though if it's good I'll be wanting a second season.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeahhh I skip Code of Honour and Profit and Lace so if I ever watch Voyager I'm probably gonna skip The One Guest-Starring The Shittiest Celebrity In The World

It's a really good episode but it's also one of the more important episodes, don't skip.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Baronjutter posted:

More like some exec saw a list of the most re-watched episodes and calculated a bunch of voyager cameos would be the most popular with the target demo.

Yeah. That's what I'm afraid of.

Or conversely they do the Star Wars thing where they take the one guy that was occasionally in the background of one episode and they make him a major character who the universe revolves around.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeahhh I skip Code of Honour and Profit and Lace so if I ever watch Voyager I'm probably gonna skip The One Guest-Starring The Shittiest Celebrity In The World

As someone who grew up on NewsRadio, I hate Andy Dick's loving guts with all my heart and I hope when he dies it's as a forgotten nobody in a gutter in [insert shithole city here]. It would serve him right for what he did to Brynn Omdahl and Phil Hartman.

That said, Message In a Bottle is one of the best Voyager episodes I've seen so far, and you'd do yourself a massive disservice to skip it. Make a drinking game out of every time the EMH MkII gets dunked on by the Doctor if you have to in order to get through it, and also know that because he's acting without his glasses he was constantly bumping into poo poo and hurting himself on set.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

curiousTerminal posted:

As someone who grew up on NewsRadio, I hate Andy Dick's loving guts with all my heart and I hope when he dies it's as a forgotten nobody in a gutter in [insert shithole city here]. It would serve him right for what he did to Brynn Omdahl and Phil Hartman.

That said, Message In a Bottle is one of the best Voyager episodes I've seen so far, and you'd do yourself a massive disservice to skip it. Make a drinking game out of every time the EMH MkII gets dunked on by the Doctor if you have to in order to get through it, and also know that because he's acting without his glasses he was constantly bumping into poo poo and hurting himself on set.

As another longtime NewsRadio fan, I'll agree with all of this. I didn't know about the glasses thing, though. That's hilarious.

He was on the dais at the Shatner roast, and his entire bit was about being the child of Kirk and Spock called "Kock". I didn't care for it, to say the least.

Lester Shy posted:

It's even weirder watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. He's proud of adopting a bunch of African children, sings the words "Save the children" over and over again at a charity function for children, and then there's this exchange about his character.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Isometric Bacon posted:

Yeah. That's what I'm afraid of.

Or conversely they do the Star Wars thing where they take the one guy that was occasionally in the background of one episode and they make him a major character who the universe revolves around.
Turns out they picked Lt. George Primmin, Starfleet Security

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mojo1701a posted:

As another longtime NewsRadio fan, I'll agree with all of this. I didn't know about the glasses thing, though. That's hilarious.

He was on the dais at the Shatner roast, and his entire bit was about being the child of Kirk and Spock called "Kock". I didn't care for it, to say the least.

Not even George Takei blasting him for being too flamboyant and mincing was worth that horrifying slashfic reading

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I was going to re-watch only the most Picard show relevant episodes of TNG, and then the movies, but I started with Farpoint and now I'm just going to watch it all again because gently caress it. Season 1 is still bad, maybe a bit worse than I remember it.

Is Hide and Q (the one where Riker becomes a Q) the shittiest Q episode (not counting the Voyager ones)? I also remember the one with the girl Q being pretty bad.

I used to hate Q when I was a kid because he was silly and not serious business sci fi but now I like him a lot, for the same reasons.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hide and Q is extremely TOS, it’s one of the most memorable early episodes for me. Dead Wesley, buff Wesley, non-muskets, “this IS sex”, Picard declaiming Hamlet. The thing that really stuck out to me on rewatch is that this is a Riker-centric episode, one about Riker gaining the power to fulfill his every desire even, but Troi isn’t in it. Like, at all. There’s maybe a dozen episodes that she’s not in over the course of the run, but this is probably her weirdest absence given the subject material. (Honorable mention to “The Inner Light” where she’s totally absent in a situation where her powers would immediately make clear to everyone else what is going on)

I like this better than both the Robin Hood episode, which fails to live up to its premise despite a couple of great moments, and the female Q episode. Also the DS9 Q episode is a lot worse, as fun as it is to watch Sisko punch Q in the teeth.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

People who poop on Farpoint are the same people that poop on Move Along Home

it's got Mariachi Q what the heck else do you people want???

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That’s Deja Q

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s Deja Q

damnit

e: I still maintain that Q elevates any episode he's in to "absolutely watch this" status though

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Buff Wesley is one of the very best and biggest laughs in all of TNG, that's very true. A joke that gets even funnier as Will Wheaton ages.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Counterpoint- Move Along Home is good fun and Farpoint is mostly boring apart from a few scenes.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

marktheando posted:

Buff Wesley is one of the very best and biggest laughs in all of TNG, that's very true. A joke that gets even funnier as Will Wheaton ages.

Counterpoint- Move Along Home is good fun and Farpoint is mostly boring apart from a few scenes.

But those few scenes, my god!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

damnit

e: I still maintain that Q elevates any episode he's in to "absolutely watch this" status though

This it true (except for the Voyager episodes he's in).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

marktheando posted:

This it true (except for the Voyager episodes he's in).

I kinda like Death Wish, but I watched the one with teenage Q this week and it’s real bad. It’s the first Q episode where deLancie obviously doesn’t want to be there and he’s just phoning it in. He’s also barely in it. How do you gently caress up a Q episode that badly?!?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

damnit

The DS9 Q episode was goofy and I loved it, but I can also see why DS9 didn't do more Q episodes. I would've loved a wormhole alien vs. Q episode, but maybe that wouldn't fit the tone of the show, either.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Finster Dexter posted:

The DS9 Q episode was goofy and I loved it, but I can also see why DS9 didn't do more Q episodes. I would've loved a wormhole alien vs. Q episode, but maybe that wouldn't fit the tone of the show, either.

Agreed, there was way more going on on DS9 than "exploration of the week" so throwing Q into the Dominion War or the Prophets storyline would have been a mess.

Although I would argue that a big ol' Q vs. Pah Wraiths episode would have fit into season 7 pretty seamlessly :haw:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Just watched I, Mudd for the first time and Jesus, it's a fever dream.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

But those few scenes, my god!

*Theme music intensifies*

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I know they planned to do the saucer separation as a regular thing, but I wonder if they also planned to play the theme song every time it happened?

Incidentally, you know what other show had a recurring ship-change-shape sequence that blasted the theme song?

That's right, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I kinda like Death Wish, but I watched the one with teenage Q this week and it’s real bad. It’s the first Q episode where deLancie obviously doesn’t want to be there and he’s just phoning it in. He’s also barely in it. How do you gently caress up a Q episode that badly?!?

If Death Wish isn't in your top 5 or 10 VOY you are broken.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I know they planned to do the saucer separation as a regular thing, but I wonder if they also planned to play the theme song every time it happened?

Incidentally, you know what other show had a recurring ship-change-shape sequence that blasted the theme song?

That's right, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

The separation scene just goes on forever and ever, feels almost TMP like.

More season one thoughts, I know Worf never really stops being kind of an idiot, but he's practically a comic relief character at this point. Growling at Q and he was about to shoot the view screen in Farpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

marktheando posted:

The separation scene just goes on forever and ever, feels almost TMP like.

More season one thoughts, I know Worf never really stops being kind of an idiot, but he's practically a comic relief character at this point. Growling at Q and he was about to shoot the view screen in Farpoint.

https://youtu.be/edflm7Hh3hs

Engage