Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

I learned today that he might be a pedo

Again is this not the default state of everyone of note in britain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

ronya posted:

don't compare sticker prices of projects with widely different timescales especially when one of those projects is abject fantasy based entirely on a moron looking at a map and saying "put a bridge there" with no other thought given to it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

Again is this not the default state of everyone of note in britain?

True. Check out this conspiracy theory heavy post of people with connections to Epstein which is where I read it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893410&pagenumber=50&perpage=40#post497173421

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

u brexit ukip it posted:

It's not (just) a matter of incompetence, it's politicians telling consultants "we need <thing> and it needs to cost X or it'll get shot down". Then when it inevitably goes over budget billions will already have been spent and the sunk cost fallacy does its job to get it over the line.

If they'd prepare a budget based on actual expected costs plus some contingency there would be a public outcry and nothing would ever get funded.

To be fair, I just call that incompetence but I suppose technically it's deeply cynical politicking. One could, if you were incredibly sceptical of the honest intentions of politicians, imagine it's done deliberately to make the public lose faith in public works projects.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jose posted:

I learned today that he might be a pedo

In a really nasty way, I hope he was and it comes out that Tony Blair knew all about it and did nothing. I'd love to see Blair sweating on tv, trying to weasel his way out of that one.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Diet Crack posted:

“We’re talking about Australia fam, why you showing me another flag?”

WELL ACTUALLY..........

No ring, 2/5 max

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Pistol_Pete posted:

In a really nasty way, I hope he was and it comes out that Tony Blair knew all about it and did nothing. I'd love to see Blair sweating on tv, trying to weasel his way out of that one.

blair is also connected to epstein

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I'd love to join the podcast as a vile and, even worse, Europe-based person? If that's still allowed?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Here's a depressing (and plausible) analysis of the 30% of voters that Johnson is trying to rally for no-deal:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2019/08/england-s-rentier-alliance-driving-support-no-deal-brexit

quote:

I think we can therefore look at the new conservative coalition as an alliance of rentiers. No deal supporters are not classic rentiers, in the form of monopolists or exploiters of unproductive capital. However, they are at a point in life where they have paid off their mortgages, and are living off the assets held by pension funds. They are worth something, independently of what they do. This is the generation that enthusiastically backed Margaret Thatcher in their early working life, witnessed Blairism and the booming of metropolitan multiculturalism with growing unease, and perhaps felt a rising resentment towards the international elite that was making the serious money in London, while convincing themselves (with the help of the Express, the Daily Mail and the Telegraph) that London is now a foreign city (a fiction that Johnson cynically endorsed in his leadership campaign).

Pistol_Pete fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 1, 2019

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Junior G-man posted:

I'd love to join the podcast as a vile and, even worse, Europe-based person? If that's still allowed?

As long as you pay price+postage on the crisps you're mailed.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
My god

i don't have access to the full article but even just that first paragraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...sXiJdC3l-E01XTo

quote:

This is tough right now, being a proud and loyal British subject who has lived in, and loved, Ireland for more than 60 years. What is tough is watching the ridiculous behaviour of the Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and his foreign minister, Simon Coveney, trying to destroy, like wilful children, relations with an ancient and friendly neighbour.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Coohoolin posted:

My god

i don't have access to the full article but even just that first paragraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...sXiJdC3l-E01XTo

That's absolutely hot take thread material

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When I think of basically the entire history of Irish relations with its eastern neighbours it's definitely "friendly".

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/OllyBarter/status/1156607313941278721

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

To be fair, I just call that incompetence but I suppose technically it's deeply cynical politicking. One could, if you were incredibly sceptical of the honest intentions of politicians, imagine it's done deliberately to make the public lose faith in public works projects.

I've always understood (since a job I had in the construction industry in the 80s) that it is normal practice to woefully underestimate the cost of major projects precisely because if the true cost were known nothing would ever get approved.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

When I think of basically the entire history of Irish relations with its eastern neighbours it's definitely "friendly".

A brexiteer once told me that relations between the UK and Ireland were always great until the EU barged in and caused the Troubles

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Jose posted:

That's absolutely hot take thread material

oh dear i just peeked at the comments

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm fairly terrible at the history of this dumb island but has there historically been any point before the last 20 years or so when the people living on Ireland and the people living on GB were not actively trying to kill each other?

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Rarity posted:

(Realtalk: a UKMT podcast could probably end up working really well cause we've got such a wide variety of interests, areas of knowledge and expertises that people could rotate in and out to fit the subject matter)

I think this is what could make it so good. I really like WDTATW, but I wish they'd get a 3rd or 4th host (partially so the show isn't on hiatus for a fortnight when someone's sick or moves house). We have a spread of people here covering various topics.

As an aside, has anyone else found that reel politik has become basically unlistenable recently? Just feels kinda phoned in and lazy.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

OwlFancier posted:

I'm fairly terrible at the history of this dumb island but has there historically been any point before the last 20 years or so when the people living on Ireland and the people living on GB were not actively trying to kill each other?

cheddar man did nothing wrong

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Mostly it's just been the Brits killing the Irish tbh. But yeah pre-12th century

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

winegums posted:

I think this is what could make it so good. I really like WDTATW, but I wish they'd get a 3rd or 4th host (partially so the show isn't on hiatus for a fortnight when someone's sick or moves house). We have a spread of people here covering various topics.

As an aside, has anyone else found that reel politik has become basically unlistenable recently? Just feels kinda phoned in and lazy.

The RP eps with wariotifo on are good. But yeah I think Jack's been really struggling lately.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

OwlFancier posted:

glorious cross-island kingdom of dal riada

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Undead Hippo posted:

Anglo-Irish Landlords were not just a 19th century thing. They were a 12th century thing. It's not just the Pale as the pre-Tudor area of English influence. In the areas of the Irish earldoms(large swathes of what is now the republic) the legal system was common law as opposed to native Brehon law, English was common and the lords were taking their direction from the English monarchy, down to getting involved in all the squabbles like the war of the roses and the barons revolt.

The Tudor era is marked by the Anglo-Irish Lords being alienated from the heavy handed Tudors, leading to a series of rebellions followed by direct control over the region being taken by England- but the Anglo-Irish land was already distinct from the rest of the country before the Elizabethan plantations began. It's not quite the same thing as the later James I plantations of the Ulster.
I wasn't suggesting that the Anglo-Irish Lords just rocked up in 1801, but there was a huge difference in the amount of Irish language written work being at the end of the Tudor Era (legislation be damned in most cases) and somewhere around the mid 18th century when Irish middle classes and the Roman Catholic Church regularly started using English and Irish at home was mostly the language of the working classes, and it seems to predate the more systemic cultural suppression of the Irish working class.

Gum posted:

cheddar man did nothing wrong
:rip: Cheddar Man, killed by the first 'ra man.

e: ^^^ Picts might disagree.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

We're pretty much all Europe based here :shobon:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

feedmegin posted:

We're pretty much all Europe based here :shobon:

This post will not age well

Yeah I know you still "be in Europe" , kinda

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Thanks for the responses regarding the tenancy deposit, I’m planning on going back to them respectfully disagreeing that a carpet cleaning is required, and should they claim against the deposit we will be disputing it.

Some other positive...and unexpected news. As I posted before, I got a job offer over a week ago and accepted. I’d made it to the second stage with another application but with moving house was mentally and physically exhausted so I withdrew my application.

Got a phone call from the agent today saying they really, really liked me and was there anything they could do to make me reconsider? So I went back asking for a considerable increase in the salary on offer...and they said yes they want to see me next week.

I’ve not had this happen before, but considering less than five weeks ago I was staring unemployment in the face it’s a nice change.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah I know you still "be in Europe" , kinda

Tomorrow, Boris will propose sawing through the channel tunnel and floating the UK down to the West Caribbean.

His budget? One million pounds! (Wait, what do you mean that's nearly nothing?)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I might consider choking back the vomit and voting Tory if Johnson had a plan to float the UK down to the West Caribbean.

Sideways just west of the Turks and Caicos.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Take the buggers for all they're worth imo, good on you.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Umbra Dubium posted:

Tomorrow, Boris will propose sawing through the channel tunnel and floating the UK down to the West Caribbean.

thats at least 2,000 outboard motors. doable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Run the wind farms backward, duh.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
it's 2000 used volvo estates from the early 90s.

That'll tow us home.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Split the difference and call it a Doggerland podcast?
I'd try to listen, but I have an insanely hard time hearing UK podcasts - WDTATW is the hardest, but I've got to crank up the volume on all of them. Maybe the accent is just different enough that I need to actually pay attention to hear poo poo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Doggingland

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given the thread's geographic distribution the accents would be awful.

Most of us probably wouldn't be able to understand each other never mind the listeners.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I speak a vaguely neo-mid-Atlantic nothing accent which nobody can place. And then I can get drunk and my >1,000 years of specifically North Cork ancestry comes rushing back. Like

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
GB would nestle comfortably on its side with Scotland just west of the Turks and Caicos and Cornwall reaching down to Montserrat.

Or upright to the west of all the islands with Montserrat one of the Western Isles and Trinidad and Tobago off of Cornwall.

Prefer the first one but either's better than the current location.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Umbra Dubium posted:

"I say enough! Enough naysaying, enough talking down the great Great British public, enough of the "no-we-can't"s! It's time for yes-we-cans! Did Alexander not defy the sea to invade Tyre? We shall unmoor Great Britain and Northern Ireland from the continental shelf that shackles us to Europe, a shelf which I might add we had no opportunity to debate or vote on, and sail the merry seas to sunnier climes and new ports!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Most of us probably wouldn't be able to understand each other never mind the listeners.
We'll run a rota. UKMT Scotland one day, UKMT North East No Pissflaps the next, UKMT Arguing About Where The West Country Is the next.