Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

I think we could be careful about posting all of the funny stuff about Bojo. All this stuff, negative or positive, is just putting all the attention on him. It's like Big Brother: you stay in the house because you're stirring such poo poo that people want to keep watching. It's the boring guy who does nothing and never gets air time that gets voted out.

He just strikes me as someone who's benefiting from any publicity, good or bad, and what's really needed is just to turn every discussion about Bojo into a discussion about policies as quickly as possible. Maybe not here, because we're all jew hating communists here already, but in general.

One very privileged man is irrelevant. What's relevant is the thousands of ordinary people who will suffer as a result of a hard border with the EU. That's why I back Labour's policy of opposing No Deal or a bad Tory Deal at any opportunity.

You had a point a few months ago. Laughing at Boris only raised his profile, making him more well known and allowing him to claim higher office. But he’s prime minister now. There is no higher office.

E: According to Wikipedia, 31 is the third Mersenne prime (25 − 1) and the eighth Mersenne prime exponent, as well as the fourth primorial prime, and together with twenty-nine, another primorial prime, it comprises a twin prime.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I was seen! It's just a urine infection! I am now getting pillz

Huzzah. Now wash more.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Nice take care dude

Re: azzas thing about wordy "leftist 101" stuff boy I hear you.
Capitalist Realism is pretty readable but imo falls into the same thing every modern leftist thing does where it goes "okay here is the problem you already know about, but very well articulated, now how should we solve it? Wel that's the subject of my next book" *never writes book*

I dunno if it was here or another thread where I asked for similar books and got capitalist Realism recommended but also a bunch of other stuff that was incredibly dry and overly verbose and I'm a poncey verbose guy myself irl.

I did get recommended I think Bakunin though and he owned. I actually thought trotsky was a good read too. Marx is famously dull and Lenin was surprisingly dry too. I think I tried to read Imperialism by Lenin and fell asleep almost immediately.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
It's tipping it down in South Manchester. Not holding out much hope for that dam.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's tipping it down in South Manchester. Not holding out much hope for that dam.

A village getting destroyed is probably a great campaigning point for labour because Boris won't give a gently caress and the greens seem to have abandoned green policy in favour of being anti brexit

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

Buy a nice ring? I got a really nice one with an emerald for my fiance as a) diamonds are nonsense and b) they wouldn't look nice with her skin tone anyway. The moment you look away from diamonds the price drops by half and it's also much more unique.

Also never ask to marry in a big public place. Give him/her a chance to let you down and not feel pressured.

Sapphire is nice as a main stone. If you want a diamond-lookalike, moissanite is the best substitute (and is better than diamond in a lot of ways).

Seconding no public proposals. Don't be afraid of just proposing at home. It doesn't have to be straight out of a romance film.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

My dad asked my mam to marry because it made sense for tax reasons and they've been happily married for 30 years

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Contrariwise: don't buy a ring at all, or buy a cheap temporary one. Your proposee will probably prefer to buy their own unless you have a VERY good idea of both their taste and ring size.

I proposed at home using a piece of costume jewellery that my dad used to propose to my mum, which was later replaced with my wife's great aunt's engagement ring. Which got lost. I also made her a silver ring which she wears as her engagement ring now, but that was a fortnight after we got married.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Jose posted:

When I got prostatitis a couple of years ago they thought it was this and also said if it was the prostate the antibiotics they'd work anyway. They didn't help and I had to suck it up for a full month before my body recovered. I hope it's just an infection for you mate

These pills I'm on should see a marked improvement in a day or two, and I only have a weeks worth of them anyway, so we'll see how it goes. Trying to drive when your kidneys are throbbing in agony isn't fun

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Hey, that's what my cat's got. Are they making you wear a cone of shame to stop you licking yourself too?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Oh, and consider the ring setting if your fiancee enjoys using her hands. Sticking-up stones look good but they catch on everything.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

jabby posted:

Seconding no public proposals. Don't be afraid of just proposing at home. It doesn't have to be straight out of a romance film.

Oh yeah this is an important bit too; don't over plan it either. No perfectly timed something something or romantic mariachi bands or whatever. Anyone I know who has ever tried to pull of a hot air balloon + dove release + wheat field crop writing or whatever has always massively failed. Sometimes hilariously so, but still.

Simple and adjustable plans are way better.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

These pills I'm on should see a marked improvement in a day or two, and I only have a weeks worth of them anyway, so we'll see how it goes. Trying to drive when your kidneys are throbbing in agony isn't fun

Being able to feel your prostate and thinking you need to piss at all times also isnt fun

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hey, that's what my cat's got. Are they making you wear a cone of shame to stop you licking yourself too?

I had to give a piss sample and then hold onto said sample tube for twenty minutes before being seen by the triage nurse, I think that was shame enough

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

also if it what they normally give you'll have orange/brown urine as well

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I had to give a piss sample and then hold onto said sample tube for twenty minutes before being seen by the triage nurse, I think that was shame enough

Lol give a stool sample and realise the mechanics are awkward and then you'll be embarrassed

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Jose posted:

Being able to feel your prostate and thinking you need to piss at all times also isnt fun

Pull your finger out and stop feeling your prostate then!!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Comrade Fakename posted:

But he’s prime minister now. There is no higher office.

Uh it's called World King?

Also dangerously close to Sounding Chat itt atm

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
No Bear Grylls type of shennigans for you!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Nice take care dude

Capitalist Realism is pretty readable but imo falls into the same thing every modern leftist thing does where it goes "okay here is the problem you already know about, but very well articulated, now how should we solve it? Wel that's the subject of my next book" *never writes book*

I dunno if it was here or another thread where I asked for similar books and got capitalist Realism recommended but also a bunch of other stuff that was incredibly dry and overly verbose and I'm a poncey verbose guy myself irl.

I did get recommended I think Bakunin though and he owned. I actually thought trotsky was a good read too. Marx is famously dull and Lenin was surprisingly dry too. I think I tried to read Imperialism by Lenin and fell asleep almost immediately.

To can read some incredibly dry history books but political theory just is more of a struggle but I did find Kropotkin's Conquest of Bread both short and simple to understand.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

To can read some incredibly dry history books but political theory just is more of a struggle but I did find Kropotkin's Conquest of Bread both short and simple to understand.

This one is online.
https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/petr-kropotkin-the-conquest-of-bread

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

I have no idea why Livvy's suddenly all over the place but I approve of it because she rules :discourse:

horny is apparently illegal otherwise...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hentai Jihadist posted:

forkboy84 posted:

The thing I like about both Bakunin and Kropotkin (in his non-academic works) is that they both write for a working class audience. Not in the Sun journo mockney wanker way, but in that they don't assume that you've read Hegel or Rousseau but do have to get up for work every day.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Thanks for reminding me I need to read Bread.

I'm trapped in Milton Keynes atm so read Three Body Problem instead, im in two minds about it but hey I did read it mostly in one sitting so it's gotta be decent at least.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Thanks for reminding me I need to read Bread.

I'm trapped in Milton Keynes atm so read Three Body Problem instead, im in two minds about it but hey I did read it mostly in one sitting so it's gotta be decent at least.

find a prostitute to peg you imo that'll solve your roundabout problems

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Jose posted:

Lol give a stool sample and realise the mechanics are awkward and then you'll be embarrassed

true story: years ago, I was on a date in London and developed a stitch that got progressively worse to the point where I had to go to the hospital with my date. After being shown into one of the cubicles a nurse comes in with a gown in one hand and a piss cup in the other. I look at the nurse, look at my date, look at the nurse again and take the robe and piss cup and immediately want the earth to swallow me up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Piss samples are awkward but not compared to catching your poo poo so you can scoop it up before it's in the water

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

true story: years ago, I was on a date in London and developed a stitch that got progressively worse to the point where I had to go to the hospital with my date. After being shown into one of the cubicles a nurse comes in with a gown in one hand and a piss cup in the other. I look at the nurse, look at my date, look at the nurse again and take the robe and piss cup and immediately want the earth to swallow me up

If you'd said she was your sister, they'd probably just have gone through the cardiac arrest questions

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Jose posted:

Piss samples are awkward but not compared to catching your poo poo so you can scoop it up before it's in the water

that date piss cup sample went empty, even with me trying to fill it for five minutes with a tap running. But gently caress catching poo

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Kropotkin is a fantastic dude and conquest of bread is a great book. I also recommend in praise of idleness by Bertrand Russel (which is in the op!) for relatively simple language iirc

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jose posted:

They give you the tiniest little tube imaginable too. Good luck not getting poo poo on the label.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Anyone worried about Boris splashing the cash

https://twitter.com/TomKibasi/status/1157784249665277953?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

Get a plastic lid off a tub of sweets. Have a full piss in the toilet and flush. Wedge the lid in the toilet bowl above the bit where it goes narrow. Sit on the toilet and poo poo. You'll now have a plastic lid with a poo poo on it. Scoop a sample out of it.

Important: Do not put the lid back on the sweets.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I suppose with that dam that's collapsing they'll have to completely drain the reservoir in order to tear it down and rebuild it? I figured with modern dams and stuff they're built in a way that can be repaired without compromising the whole thing but this one is almost 200 years old, built in 1831, which has to complicate matters.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hentai Jihadist posted:

To be fair the problem here isn't so much 'Mark Fisher never wrote the next book' as 'Mark Fisher died before completing the next book'

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I just don't enjoy reading. I prefer doing.

Honestly my favourite book is the haynes manual for my motorbike.

I did like a time traveller's guide to medieval england but even then I was skim reading it to steal ideas for window dressing for a DnD campaign I was running.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

The best book to read is Zoo magazine because boobs

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Or Nuts, if your so inclined

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can see those for free on the internet if you want.

Both boobs and nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why isn't nuts a gay mag anyway? False advertising imho.