Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

It's the shambling corpses of the 'healthy living' that we prop up for as long as possible and give no option for a dignified death that also cost the most, but nobody wants to talk about that.
Mark Blyth suggested euthanasia for the 65+ crowd in that lecture someone linked some pages back. Live-faster-die-younger martinis and cigars euthanasia, but still, the explicit purpose would be to get rid of old people faster.

edit: 55 would be an even better age to start that program, since martinis and cigars aren't gonna kill people straight away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

How quickly will you abandon Give My Head Peace you televisual partionist

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

omg this would be so loving perfect

please let the high court rule on this

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Jose posted:

being raised in a cult does weird things to a person. she still uses way too many words per post

So what you're saying is that ronya's posts are a cry for help?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Typical liberal poo poo of trying to rules-lawyer their way to victory rather than address the underlying social issues leading to vote results

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanitary Naptime posted:

You can have father ted back if you take linehan with it
Much like Jesus' foreskin, Linehan's ball remains British.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Mark Blyth suggested euthanasia for the 65+ crowd in that lecture someone linked some pages back. Live-faster-die-younger martinis and cigars euthanasia, but still, the explicit purpose would be to get rid of old people faster.

edit: 55 would be an even better age to start that program, since martinis and cigars aren't gonna kill people straight away.
Fully automated luxury euthanasia.

chestnut santabag posted:

So what you're saying is that ronya's posts are a cry for help?
I Have No Mouth And I Must PPE

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jose posted:

being raised in a cult does weird things to a person.

No doubt, but if you think she isn't genuine you probably don't believe the cult thing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

Typical liberal poo poo of trying to rules-lawyer their way to victory rather than address the underlying social issues leading to vote results
If we don't crash out on October 31st and instead A50 just expires that's pretty significant regardless of what else happens.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sanitary Naptime posted:

You can have father ted back if you take linehan with it

:ohdear:

And yes, all Irish sitcoms suck poo poo. I chuckled at Young Offenders tho

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

If we don't crash out on October 31st and instead A50 just expires that's pretty significant regardless of what else happens.

That still seems rather dependent on what the EU wants.

Which I suppose if they want to annoy boris the most would mean forcing him to take positive action to crash out rather than defaulting to it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rarity posted:

seems to me its more that it would force a general election of boris running on no deal because he needs a majority to pass parliament to do it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rarity posted:

You have to admit though that the look on Boris's face as his great ultimatum disappears in a puff of bullshit would be something to behold.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

all Irish sitcoms suck poo poo.
Are you calling Derry Girls poo poo or British?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Derry Girls or GTFO

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Are you calling Derry Girls poo poo or British?

Got a feeling our Irish friend is hesitant to lay claim to Northern Ireland quite so desperately ahead of potential reunification.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He'll start calling it Londonderry Girls next.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

After the tories do home rule do they get renamed londonderry girls?

E: ^ :argh:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Just filled in a Survation voting intention survey, so I guess we can expect MOAR POLLS soon.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Zalakwe posted:

I have worked extensively in low carbon energy tech and you would be surprised how much of it is funded by companies whose business model relies on fossil fuels. They aren't idiots, they realise the world is changing and they want the IP and the greenwash.

On the more virtuous end companies like Vattenfall have a history in fossil fuels and still use them to a degree but are also absolutely vital to the UK and international offshore wind industries. On the less virtuous end BP and Schlumberger fund all sorts of random stuff.

They have done, are doing and will do all sorts of bad things but they do fund low-carbon energy.

If they funded it adequately, we wouldn't have the problem. Hell, if they stopped actively spending money on people who actively propagandise against the problem, and stopped actively spending money buying politicians who ignore the problem, if they had not chosen to ignore the problem in the 70s...

If they funded it even close to adequately, we wouldn't have the problem. But they would also lose their primary business model so

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 7, 2019

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

sebzilla posted:

Just filled in a Survation voting intention survey, so I guess we can expect MOAR POLLS soon.

Did you remember to tick the 'watches Mrs Brown Boys' option?

Or just the classic Remain-supporting UKIP voter?

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

Good lord BBC R2 currently gushing over Dominic Cummings and it just makes me want to shoot myself. I can't stand listening to radio these days.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1159075479594393601?s=20

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

xtothez posted:

Did you remember to tick the 'watches Mrs Brown Boys' option?

Or just the classic Remain-supporting UKIP voter?

If you ever see a yougov poll where there's a lifelong member of the conservatives who's got very favourable views towards Corbyn, never heard of Google, and consumes 'several' cans of beans a day, that's me.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Podcast dry run tonight for anyone wanting to participate, 8pm on the discord. Mostly just a chance to tweak your setups and give me some raw audio to gently caress around with and de-crust my editing skills, but if there’s any topics you want to discuss then get them posted in the discord (please not Scotpol)

I'm game.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'll be there, just need someone to explain how discord works because I think I've used it once before and forgot

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I didn't know there was a UK Discord.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

pitch a fitness posted:

If you ever see a yougov poll where there's a lifelong member of the conservatives who's got very favourable views towards Corbyn, never heard of Google, and consumes 'several' cans of beans a day, that's me.

Does backside blasting count as consumption in this context?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Depends if they're still edible.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

I'll be there, just need someone to explain how discord works because I think I've used it once before and forgot

njsykora posted:

I didn't know there was a UK Discord.

by pink and by stink merely click on this link https://discord.gg/gZsnEKc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

quote:

The individual produces an object and, by consuming it, returns to himself, but returns as a productive and self reproducing individual. Consumption thus appears as a moment of production.

Backside blasting is praxis.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Guavanaut posted:

They're making a move to ban new gas installs in UK housing. The good competent way to do this would be mass subsidies for heatpumps but it'll probably just mean more houses with storage heaters.

However you could do mass subsidies for heatpumps and also nationalize the gas infrastructure and move towards more biogas and waste pyrolysis.

https://www.era.ac.uk (and EBRI who are a part of ERA) are both all over this tech. Not sure if it's still a thing but at one point EBRI had a proposal for a huge waste to biogas grid providing for the majority of Birmingham.

Small scale storage and integrated grids is where it's at the moment. If they can get balanced local, renewable based grids running well we'll have cracked it.

thespaceinvader posted:

If they funded it adequately, we wouldn't have the problem. Hell, if they stopped actively spending money on people who actively propagandise against the problem, and stopped actively spending money buying politicians who ignore the problem, if they had not chosen to ignore the problem in the 70s...

If they funded it even close to adequately, we wouldn't have the problem. But they would also lose their primary business model so

I don't dispute any of this but it doesn't mean we don't want their money. Schlumberger put up millions for ERA I mentioned above. Without that cash there is no way the Government would have come in with £60 million match funding.

Is it perfect, no. It is what it is though.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 7, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zalakwe posted:

https://www.era.ac.uk (and EBRI who are a part of ERA) are both all over this tech. Not sure if it's still a thing but at one point EBRI had a proposal for a huge waste to biogas grid providing for the majority of Birmingham.

Small scale storage and integrated grids is where it's at the moment. If they can get balanced local, renewable based grids running well we'll have cracked it.
I wonder if they'll give me a grant to burn my piss as a means of energy storage.

I'd probably have to rephrase it as "A Novel Flow Battery Producing Surplus Energy via the Electrocatalytic Oxidation of a Dilute Aqueous Solution of Carbamide and Chloride Salts" or something.

Also by 'waste to biogas' are they just doing compostables/digestion or are they looking at plastics too?

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Well if they wanted to know how many cans of beans I eat they should have asked that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Pokemon are now 19th century British capitalists

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder if they'll give me a grant to burn my piss as a means of energy storage.

I'd probably have to rephrase it as "A Novel Flow Battery Producing Surplus Energy via the Electrocatalytic Oxidation of a Dilute Aqueous Solution of Carbamide and Chloride Salts" or something.

Ah the Bakehurst Vattery

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

If not watching Mrs Brown Boy's makes me an elitist of the intelligentsia then sign me the gently caress up

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Zalakwe posted:

I don't dispute any of this but it doesn't mean we don't want their money. Schlumberger put up millions for ERA I mentioned above. Without that cash there is no way the Government would have come in with £60 million match funding.

Is it perfect, no. It is what it is though.

I'd prefer for environmental orgs that are researching green power to have NONE of the oil companies' money, and their lobbyists, pet politicians, propaganda youtube channels and youtubers, TV channels, roving science denialists, etc, to also have none of their money, than for both to have their money. The latter are doing FAR more harm than the former are doing good.

Defending loving Schlumberger isn't exactly a good look, until they complete divest themselves from loving OILFIELD SERVICES and start putting ALL of their phenomenal amounts of money into unfucking the planet. And even then, it's not gonna be a great look, because they're still a giant megacorporation.

Schlumberger would do more good by not existing at all, than they're doing by existing in their current model. And they're among the least horrible of the many, many horrible oil companies.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

My interpretation of it is that it suggests that the wording of article 50 means that we have to leave under the terms of an agreement, so if the timer expires without an agreement being reached, we stay because we did not reach an agreement.

The counter to that (and I have a horrible feeling that parliament will go with this) is that we have reached a deal, and that deal is "agree to the set of treaties and regulations Theresa May negotiated, or leave without any treaties."

I mean my initial reaction was a brief flare of optimism, but I feel like it's going to be too hard for even most MPs to understand the weird loopback logic of the initial argument.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Comrades, I've been visiting family away from internet so have barely caught up with last month's thread yet, but I thought you'd want to know as a matter of urgency:

We have kittens.

They came as a bit of a surprise, considering we didn't know the cat was pregnant (or that there was a cat).

Here she is. We're buddies now.

Right, back to the start of the thread with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
more pics of the kittens