Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Galvanik posted:

Slightly related to the cherenkov radiation talk from a few pages back.

Uranium in a gas chamber so you can see the particles being fissioned out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiscokCGOhs&t=99s

It's so frustrating that that dumbass I loving Love Science Facebook page is so insanely popular when actual, absurdly cool real science like this exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Trek should be sexless because when it tries 9 out of 10 times it’s an embarrassing attempt to be sexy. The 1 time it wasn’t was Dax (Jadzia)... most of the time.

I feel like the big problem is that most of the Star Trek shows are neither willing to let love blossom into a long-term relationship nor willing to legitimize the love 'em and leave 'em perspective of just having a bunch of one-night-stands only focused on the sex. Everybody enters into romantic-yet-chaste relationships for one episode only to conveniently find an out by the end of the episode, and I guess for the duration they just kinda intensely write poems about eachother.

Next Generation does a weird thing where it starts out implying some kind of prospective romantic interest between Riker and Troi and Picard and Crusher, and then neither of those relationships really progress at all onscreen. Onscreen romance has to tragically end or at least have a final note of "I'll call you later (I'll never call you later)".

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In the case of Riker and Troi everything was in the context of them having once had a relationship, and Picard and Crusher I always felt was more of a "Maybe in a another life if things had gone differently..." due to their history with Jack.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Galvanik posted:

Slightly related to the cherenkov radiation talk from a few pages back.

Uranium in a gas chamber so you can see the particles being fissioned out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiscokCGOhs&t=99s

That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FlamingLiberal posted:

The acting talent is there, but the writing in a lot of episodes clearly never got a pass beyond the first draft because almost every episode has basic continuity problems.

The episode where they slam the ship halfway into another reality is one of the most egregious examples of first draft syndrome. On the whole I was entertained by the episode, but they kept pulling me out of that by having characters have deep, meaningful conversations while they should be hauling rear end back to their own reality before the ship is destroyed. They were even good conversations ! But when the clock is ticking on a catastrophe, shut the gently caress up and haul rear end.

Even a little thinking about the script would suggest several ways to let them use the good dialogue they wrote without running through their 5 minute clock 2 or 3 times.

"This turbolift is working ! It'll save us time !" Have a conversation in the elevator.
"If we tech the tech problem in the next compartment we can take a shortcut !"

But whatever you do, if you give a deadline for the ship being destroyed, do NOT take more time than that on-screen !

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SlothfulCobra posted:

Next Generation does a weird thing where it starts out implying some kind of prospective romantic interest between Riker and Troi and Picard and Crusher, and then neither of those relationships really progress at all onscreen. Onscreen romance has to tragically end or at least have a final note of "I'll call you later (I'll never call you later)".

I remember reading an interview (or an excerpt of an interview) with Gates McFadden where she said that before second season she felt like the producers wanted to eventually do more Picard/Crusher, but after she returned in third season there was zero interest in that among the staff.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mllaneza posted:

The episode where they slam the ship halfway into another reality is one of the most egregious examples of first draft syndrome.

Surprisingly, despite no longer being chained to the tyranny of 26 episodes a year nor having to conform to the old traditions of when "seasons" start and end, it sounds like modern "big, creative" shows can still be at least as much of a last-minute rush as the old days in Star Trek:

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

there was some interview where [the Westworld writers] talk about the insane rewrites they were doing for (unknown reasons) and how the actors were getting the scripts hours before shooting

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They really sound like the kind of writers that need a firm hand to keep them in check. Like just have someone going "No more rewrites, the script is finished" as soon as shooting starts.

echoplex posted:

This has become the norm on big, creative shows. It's hell. I came off a fairly internationally huge show last month, and there was no shooting script until day 3 of the shoot.

Cojawfee posted:

What do people even do without a script?

echoplex posted:

You work from drafts and hope that it gets sorted out in the end.

e: and then find you have a hundred pickups to do once they figure out what they *actually* wanted to do

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Grand Fromage posted:

Wow one of his short stories from that series was adapted as Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, one of the greatest MST3K turds.

The short story is actually pretty good.

And actually the movie is pretty good too, as what the gently caress best bad movies ever. Also my phone is named Fingal and my girlfriend's phone is Jamilla. Also last I checked I think my bluetooth headphones are named Fingal's Dopple. So I may be biased.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I remember reading an interview (or an excerpt of an interview) with Gates McFadden where she said that before second season she felt like the producers wanted to eventually do more Picard/Crusher, but after she returned in third season there was zero interest in that among the staff.

Probably for the best since that relationship works best with them as old close friends. Neither of them really had any worthwhile love interests over the course of the show. Vash comes closest, but her chemistry with Picard probably had more to do with Stewart hooking up with the actress outside the show than the actual writing.

Besides, it’s obvious Picard should have hooked up with Guinan and/or Q.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Probably for the best since that relationship works best with them as old close friends. Neither of them really had any worthwhile love interests over the course of the show. Vash comes closest, but her chemistry with Picard probably had more to do with Stewart hooking up with the actress outside the show than the actual writing.

Besides, it’s obvious Picard should have hooked up with Guinan and/or Q.

I would argue that his wife in Inner Light counts. He was not brainwashed, hypnotized or given false memories; he was thrown into that situation as exactly the man he was. He legit fell in love with her, entered into a meaningful relationship, had children and had a lot of personal growth as a direct result of all this.

The syndicated format of the show is particularly unfortunate with regard to this episode.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I would argue that his wife in Inner Light counts. He was not brainwashed, hypnotized or given false memories; he was thrown into that situation as exactly the man he was. He legit fell in love with her, entered into a meaningful relationship, had children and had a lot of personal growth as a direct result of all this.

The syndicated format of the show is particularly unfortunate with regard to this episode.

That episode and Hard Time are really shocking. Good episodes but they leave you wondering why this isn't a cornerstone of the character now, like why they don't bring it up all of the time because they poo poo did not just reset, they should be different people before and after that happened.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

what are you talking about, picard plays the flute at least once after that i think

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

what are you talking about, picard plays the flute at least once after that i think
Toot-toot-toot-
[Weedle-oodle]
:argh: "COME!"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Q isn't someone you get into a relationship with. It's just a whirlwind of hatefucking and then you both pretend it never happened.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

piratepilates posted:

when people say the acting is good, who precisely are they talking about? I only saw a single episode, obviously that's not going to give me a complete impression,

This is where I stopped reading and you should have stopped typing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mllaneza posted:

The episode where they slam the ship halfway into another reality is one of the most egregious examples of first draft syndrome. On the whole I was entertained by the episode, but they kept pulling me out of that by having characters have deep, meaningful conversations while they should be hauling rear end back to their own reality before the ship is destroyed. They were even good conversations ! But when the clock is ticking on a catastrophe, shut the gently caress up and haul rear end.

Even a little thinking about the script would suggest several ways to let them use the good dialogue they wrote without running through their 5 minute clock 2 or 3 times.

"This turbolift is working ! It'll save us time !" Have a conversation in the elevator.
"If we tech the tech problem in the next compartment we can take a shortcut !"

But whatever you do, if you give a deadline for the ship being destroyed, do NOT take more time than that on-screen !
Yes the writing in that one was particularly bad

Pike says like 5 times that they have 5 minutes to get out or they will die, and they proceed to spend 15 mins doing technobabble

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mr. Prokosch posted:

That episode and Hard Time are really shocking. Good episodes but they leave you wondering why this isn't a cornerstone of the character now, like why they don't bring it up all of the time because they poo poo did not just reset, they should be different people before and after that happened.

Because the writers/producers did not want the character to become a different person - they wanted to continue telling stories with the same person.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Like the "realistic" aftermath to The Mind's Eye would have been Geordi either sitting out the rest of the season or even being retired from active duty altogether, but there's no way the producers are going to write off a character - that they otherwise want to continue to write stories for - just to make an otherwise good episode ring a little more true.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm watching TOS: Friday's Child. Aside from the super lame aliens dressed like pony play fetishists in lycra and carpet fringe, Bones just slapped a pregnant woman and she instantly fell in love with him.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Forgive me if this has been posted before: https://i.imgur.com/2PPhcrr.mp4

USS Siskos MotherFucking Pimp Hand

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

The protagonist attempted to commit mutiny in order to open fire on a Klingon ship, booby-trapped a corpse, deliberately murdered an enemy leader, blamed herself for starting a horrific war, was sentenced to a prison forced-labor gang that was sent out to replace the fifty other prison laborers killed offscreen in a preventable mining accident, ended up on a ship full of scientists resentful that they'd been conscripted into the war effort, found herself still hated and snubbed by her former crewmates, became the protege of the ship's unstable captain who was sleeping with an Admiral to further his career, enslaved an innocent tardigrade to wear the special nipple-clamps to navigate the ship, and finally hooked up with a rape-and-torture-victim former POW who's positively riddled with PTSD. And that's just in the first few episodes.

You're right, this is indistinguishable from the let's-see-what's-out-there idealism of TNG.

Star Trek TOS is a show where 90% of the time they beam down to a planet and the worst thing ever has happened. In the first few episodes alone we have people being killed by an alien vampire, the protagonist being split into one half which almost rapes his Yeoman, a guy going crazy after getting psychic powers and pretending to be god, a pimp who sells women he refers to as "me cargo"...

Oh yeah, let's not forget that a woman has a miscarriage in the last 20 minutes of All Good Things. What a fun uplifting way to end a series!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Golden Gael posted:

Star Trek TOS is a show where 90% of the time they beam down to a planet and the worst thing ever has happened. In the first few episodes alone we have people being killed by an alien vampire, the protagonist being split into one half which almost rapes his Yeoman, a guy going crazy after getting psychic powers and pretending to be god, a pimp who sells women he refers to as "me cargo"...

Oh yeah, let's not forget that a woman has a miscarriage in the last 20 minutes of All Good Things. What a fun uplifting way to end a series!

That's presumably fixed when Picard rams the three enterprises into the time thingie

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

dont stop I'm almost there

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

On one hand, cool, on the other, apparently only good guys are allowed to maneuver in this battle.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol fuckin' come on woof, how are you missing that dominion battlecruiser??

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's not actually gay for Picard to sleep with Q, Q is a genderless alien presence that just likes looking like John de lancie / ostensibly designing a credible historical judge body. In reality, it's sort of like that Spike Jonez film where the guy is loving his iPhone until it gets too smart. Except picard is compelling enough that the iPhone wants to stay.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
They should have done that shot of the two Galaxy's double teaming that Cardassian Galor. One of the best sfx shots in all of Trek.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
honestly not a fan of most of the Trek fleet actions

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

davidspackage posted:

Bones just slapped a pregnant woman and she instantly fell in love with him.

Yeah that's not even 60s.txt... more like 40s.txt.

:drat:

Even on my cheap phone I can tell how much better that looks than what we've got. Man, isn't it possible (Isn't! It! POSSIBLE?!!) that there are enough people wanting an HD (or omg 4K) remaster that we could crowdfund that poo poo? Seems to me if they were handed enough money that they could guaranteed make a profit that they'd do it. Even a meager profit, because corporations by nature seek to rake in every penny possible (POSSIBLE!:supaburn:).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeah that's not even 60s.txt... more like 40s.txt.

Written by a woman, lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Dominion capital ships not firing really stands out in HD and me watching it 20 times in a row.

jeeves posted:

They should have done that shot of the two Galaxy's double teaming that Cardassian Galor. One of the best sfx shots in all of Trek.

Hitting it so hard that they shove it sideways is great. I don't think that ever happens elsewhere.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Grand Fromage posted:

The Dominion capital ships not firing really stands out in HD and me watching it 20 times in a row.

Hitting it so hard that they shove it sideways is great. I don't think that ever happens elsewhere.

Thats probably the one time they showed on screen how truly powerful Galaxy class ships are aside from all the tech manual writing. If they were to do a reboot of TNG it should be on a different Galaxy class with a new crew. Set it in the early 25th Century after the Picard show. Just handwave how different it looks with there being multiple refits over the years.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think there are more ships in that shot than in the entirety of TNG.

The Golden Gael posted:

Most of the talk of how Earth has reached a utopia in TNG is in the background and never explored in-depth because for all the hope the writers had for the future, they resolutely believed that stories of bad things happening are more interesting. It also tended to undermine any sense of trying to understand alien cultures when they were being used to demonstrate aspects of humanity that are supposed to no longer be present. Kinda gave things an air of "oh you ignorant savages think you're superior when obviously WE are superior."

DS9 straight-up ignored most of the post-scarcity stuff in favor of relatability and exploring disparity. The idealistic future is an aspect of the series to remember fondly, but it sure wasn't what drove ratings.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Evek posted:

Thats probably the one time they showed on screen how truly powerful Galaxy class ships are aside from all the tech manual writing. If they were to do a reboot of TNG it should be on a different Galaxy class with a new crew. Set it in the early 25th Century after the Picard show. Just handwave how different it looks with there being multiple refits over the years.

The phasers blasting away huge chunks of the Borg cube in Q, Who? seemed pretty powerful too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SlothfulCobra posted:

DS9 straight-up ignored most of the post-scarcity stuff in favor of relatability and exploring disparity. The idealistic future is an aspect of the series to remember fondly, but it sure wasn't what drove ratings.
While people weren't having orgies in Tiger Park in the DS9 take it still seemed like the Federation was a softly post-scarcity situation. You can argue about exactly where the line should be drawn* but I also think it would be good, on a creative level, to just bar certain kinds of plots that we've seen a thousand times already.

* - it's here

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pick posted:

A ton of people like discovery, they just don't post here because this is not a thread for people, generally speaking, who like stuff

the entire point of posting on something awful is to be a bitter person who hates everything, i thought we were all in agreement about this?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lester Shy posted:

:agreed:

I rewatched First Contact last night and... ugh. Horny Data is the worst thing I've ever seen.

i read "horny data" and my first thought was gathering metrics on internet porn usage

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Khanstant posted:

When was the Cold War supposed to have ever ended anyway? Last I checked our president was chosen by a KGB officer and all signs point to it happening again very soon so I'm assuming we lost that war.

captain picard, welcome to the #resistance. put on your pussy hat and prepare to engage

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kanine posted:

the entire point of posting on something awful is to be a bitter person who hates everything, i thought we were all in agreement about this?

I like a lot of things, just not Discovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Evek posted:

How old was the original Enterprise (YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN BY THAT) in TOS, anyway? Wasn't it, like, going on 20 years old at that point?

Wouldn't the D be only, like, a few years older than that at this point? Still in the prime of its life, baby. You know, if they hadn't destroyed it. loving TNG movies.

Still, another Galaxy class would be about the same age, obviously.