Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

Shostakovich, Dvorak, Mendelssohn, and yes some bits of Mahler are pretty good if you're in the mood for it

Thank you for this University Challenge approved playlist of old dead composers.

For modern composition, if you like vocal music check out Roomful of Teeth, they are extremely :stare: in musical form, which is neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yeah turns out that if you're good enough at what you do people will remember you a hundred years after you're dead, who knew

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

like hitler

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wagner was good. Verging on camp, but if you can embrace camp without feeling the need to build any then that's not a bad thing.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

I'm Nigel Braine! Take that Dick Farage!

Now I'm Dick Farage! Take that Nigel Braine!

Now I'm Nigel Farage! Take that Dick B...

Farage actually means oval office in Malay. Shame the UK Malaysian population isn't big enough to make it stick.

Also re:Epstein assassination :drat:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I can understand classic music being impressive on a rational level but it actually just bores me to tears so I listen to Streetlight Manifesto and Dead Prez instead.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

WhatEvil posted:

Bob Monkhouse was one of the best game show hosts.

Somebody is gonna tell me he was a massive racist/nonce now though.

I recall his Last Stand being a good watch, even for someone who didn't care about him outside of Wipeout. His stories may have the odd teeth-sucking moment in them, I don't recall, but if you haven't watched it it's worth a look.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

yeah turns out that if you're good enough at what you do people will remember you a hundred years after you're dead, who knew

My point wasn't really that you were namechecking dead classical composers, more that you would take apparently huge issue with JS Bach, and then present as an alternative... a handful of the other main heavy hitters of the Western canon. They're all good

E: also I don't care about whether individual orchestral composers are technically"classical" or not, we all know what we're talking about

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Miftan posted:

I can understand classic music being impressive on a rational level but it actually just bores me to tears so I listen to Streetlight Manifesto and Dead Prez instead.

What do you understand about classical music being impressive on a rational level?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

fridge corn posted:

What do you understand about classical music being impressive on a rational level?

It takes a lot of effort to compose something that is aesthetically pleasing to a lot of people. It's impressive on a technical level - it's just not for me. :shrug:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

My point wasn't really that you were namechecking dead classical composers, more that you would take apparently huge issue with JS Bach, and then present as an alternative... a handful of the other main heavy hitters of the Western canon. They're all good

E: also I don't care about whether individual orchestral composers are technically"classical" or not, we all know what we're talking about

I don't have a problem with Bach in general except that I find some of his stuff (especially compositions for one instrument like the aforementioned violin sonatas or the cello suites or the preludes and fugues) generally not that interesting, it feels like they're based too much around technique and specific patterns rather than having any sort of depth to them. Some Bach is good though, when I played in a string orchestra at uni we'd do one of the Brandenburgs most terms (though if you're one of those people who insist on only using "authentic" instruments you can gently caress right off)

One of the reasons I like Shostakovich so much is that there's so much going on beyond/behind the music, you can really feel that he was pouring his soul out into it, rather than someone like Bach (or indeed Mozart) who was writing just to pay the bills.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Please, the true pinnacle of human music is 4 track Amiga 500 demoscene

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Miftan posted:

not to have a massive go at you but everyone I've met who's ever said that is basing it on an infinitesimally small sample

I'm pretty sure it's basically impossible for anyone who likes some form of music to find the entire output of 500+ years boring

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

rather than someone like Bach (or indeed Mozart) who was writing just to pay the bills.
Would someone who was just writing to pay the bills compose something like difficile lectu? An early shitpost if ever there was.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't have a problem with Bach in general except that I find some of his stuff (especially compositions for one instrument like the aforementioned violin sonatas or the cello suites or the preludes and fugues) generally not that interesting, it feels like they're based too much around technique and specific patterns rather than having any sort of depth to them. Some Bach is good though, when I played in a string orchestra at uni we'd do one of the Brandenburgs most terms (though if you're one of those people who insist on only using "authentic" instruments you can gently caress right off)

One of the reasons I like Shostakovich so much is that there's so much going on beyond/behind the music, you can really feel that he was pouring his soul out into it, rather than someone like Bach (or indeed Mozart) who was writing just to pay the bills.

:agreed:

Guavanaut posted:

Would someone who was just writing to pay the bills compose something like difficile lectu? An early shitpost if ever there was.

Or indeed, "Leck Mich Im Arsch"?

E: o wait, same thing

E2: same-ish thing? Dude loved the butt

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 11, 2019

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Julio Cruz posted:

loving :laffo: trust the STEMlords to pick Bach as the best composer

I studied the humanities???

Edit: also my favourite composer is Beethoven, but there's something ineffably magical and perfect about some of Bach's pieces, especially the violin sonatas and partitas.

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 11, 2019

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Miftan posted:

It takes a lot of effort to compose something that is aesthetically pleasing to a lot of people. It's impressive on a technical level - it's just not for me. :shrug:

If you are interested, I have a small selection of pieces saved that I've found resonate very well with people who don't think they "get" classical music. I'd be happy to fire off a PM if you're curious.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Coohoolin posted:

I studied the humanities???

unless you were part of the team who fired a rocket into space I wasn’t talking about you

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Julio Cruz posted:

unless you were part of the team who fired a rocket into space I wasn’t talking about you

Ah right lol sorry thought that was a dig at me

Tbf the fact they went for grumiaux vs like, menuhin works against that point

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

If you are interested, I have a small selection of pieces saved that I've found resonate very well with people who don't think they "get" classical music. I'd be happy to fire off a PM if you're curious.

You can pretty much do that by sitting someone down to watch Fantasia, although anyone who doesn't listen to Mars, The Bringer of War and get caught up in it can gently caress off.

That said, the greatest piece of 20th Century classical music is Heat Miser by Massive Attack. Change my mind.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Pochoclo posted:

Please, the true pinnacle of human music is 4 track Amiga 500 demoscene

The poo poo Rob Hubbard did back in the day is loving insane, how did he get these noises out of these machines?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EcgruWlXnQ

Julio Cruz posted:

Shostakovich, Dvorak, Mendelssohn, and yes some bits of Mahler are pretty good if you're in the mood for it

Dvorak is one of my faves tbh but everyone in the UK just thinks he's some rando ad bloke in the 70s who did the Hovis theme music :eng99:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jedit posted:

That said, the greatest piece of 20th Century classical music is Heat Miser by Massive Attack. Change my mind.

It's actually Out There Somewhere by Orbital.

I've never seen Tipping Point (or the majority of post Countdown game shows) but I did confuse it with Turning Point, so the last few pages have been a weird ride.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

When it comes to classical, I mostly like moody piano music, so Chopin is good for me.

Another one I've found I like is Felix Blumenfeld:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zqa4d0GfXo

Can't normally go in for most of the full orchestral stuff. There's some stuff I like, like Dvorak, but more so the minor key stuff rather than the cheery stuff.

E: Oh and for more modern classical you can't beat Basil Poledouris!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZL2R9jDJM

EE: And John Williams I guess.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 11, 2019

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I don’t think purity of motive makes composition any better; Grieg banged out Peer Gynt 100% for cash and it’s amazing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVehnkc68M

I can't actually get la weasellaise out of my head now.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

WhatEvil posted:

E: Oh and for more modern classical you can't beat Basil Poledouris!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZL2R9jDJM
I listen to this on the regular, it's a loving masterpiece.

Ms Adequate posted:

The poo poo Rob Hubbard did back in the day is loving insane, how did he get these noises out of these machines?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrQuR1LHAVI

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Pilchenstein posted:

I listen to this on the regular, it's a loving masterpiece.

Yeah there was a time when I did too. It's really good background music for gaming.

I was being very sincere when I said you can't beat him. He also did the Robocop soundtrack, Starship Troopers, Hunt for Red October and other, lesser-known films like Quigley Down Under (which is actually not a terrible movie and of course has a great soundtrack).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
This is the best classical music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWVFEVWJMz8

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ms Adequate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EcgruWlXnQ
I'm not an expert, but you can pick up a few clues by looking at an oscilloscope version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIA_0cvS2gQ
Only three channels, but the channels are quite flexible, you can do pretty much anything on them. Contrast that with, say, a NES which goes "you get two square pulses, a triangle wave (which is stuck at max volume), a noise channel and a channel for playing whatever samples you can squeeze into the cartridge. Unless you're Castlevania 3 using the VRC 6 soundchip, anyway, then you get two more square pulses and a sawtooth wave".

A neat trick is the way he varies the duty on the square waves, which is to say the amount of time on a square wave cycle where the wave is in the "up" position compared with the "down" position. Again on a NES (without some fancy voiving) you got three set duties for your square wave that you could choose between (effectively the difference between an "ahh" and an "ooh") but here there's a lot more flexibility and it goes a long way to giving the instruments their unique timbre.

Of course, it may be worth remembering that I think this is the only track in the game? So you can afford to give it a lot more storage space and polish time compared with if you're doing a whole soundtrack for something like, say, Mega Man 2. The NES's simplicity had its upsides there.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 11, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

HopperUK posted:

'Oh look it's the Prime Minister, Dick Braine'

But enough about Boris Johnson

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Never knew that the scientology guy also did chiptunes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Huh, it turned out the aliens were only interested in listening to classic 90s era Wu-Tang. Who woulda seen that coming?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

It was blast processing, OP

Also I have to confess I absolutely love Dvorak's work

Paul.Power posted:

I'm not an expert, but you can pick up a few clues by looking at an oscilloscope version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIA_0cvS2gQ

Vib Ribbon 2 lookin good

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ms Adequate posted:

It was blast processing, OP

Also I have to confess I absolutely love Dvorak's work

Vib Ribbon 2 lookin good
Speaking of oscilloscopes and blast processing, the Mega Drive's FM music looks wild on an oscilloscope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C1jdoB4_UA

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Paul.Power posted:

Speaking of oscilloscopes and blast processing, the Mega Drive's FM music looks wild on an oscilloscope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C1jdoB4_UA

Ditto for the pure magic Tim Follin pulled off to make the NES sound like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZAnUDAj94Y

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Z the IVth posted:

Farage actually means oval office in Malay. Shame the UK Malaysian population isn't big enough to make it stick.

Also re:Epstein assassination :drat:

Huh... well that gives new meaning to my young Flanders bit.

Also this reminded me to go back on Duolingo and do Indonesian again. Thanks!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jedit posted:

You can pretty much do that by sitting someone down to watch Fantasia, although anyone who doesn't listen to Mars, The Bringer of War and get caught up in it can gently caress off.

I swear Mars is the first ever example of Metal and it rules. It's even got a breakdown ffs.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Aphex- posted:

I swear Mars is the first ever example of Metal and it rules. It's even got a breakdown ffs.

They put part of Rite of Spring on Voyager. That's pretty much early 20th century math rock

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Fun fact : Grieg was a midget Scotsman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Julio Cruz posted:

Bach (or indeed Mozart) who was writing just to pay the bills.

I don't think this is true of either of them.

I love some Bach but Dodie Smith had a great line about how, after a while, it can feel like being repeatedly hit over the head with a teaspoon.

(Best composers are Rossini Mozart Handel Donizetti Bellini Mercadante Pacini and Verdi.)