Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Junior G-man posted:

Offa's Dyke trip report, day one:

Absolutely stunning walk along the Wye, up and down the river valley with a little side trip to Tintern abbey where I had small Wordsworth nerd-out.

Hike: 8/10 but it was a very long day
Weather: 4 out of 10, got caught in two absolute downpours and wrung out my pants upon arrival.

Not far from me - it piled it down today. I managed to get to the shops and buy some snacks in between rain storms. My mum's house is 100 yards from Offa's Dyke (on the England side).

AceOfFlames posted:

Is there any exercise routine that is like the equivalent of what you would give to a person recovering from a decades long coma?

Preferably bodyweight only so that person doesn't have to show up to a gym and have everyone laugh at them, especially since most of his coworkers are attempting to convert the entire workplace into the CrossFit cult?

Asking for a friend.

Depending how comatose: I endeavour to walk a couple of miles every day (and quite often do 6 miles). Anyway, today I decided to start mixing in a little running - and I mean a little. I used to enjoy running until my knee decided to complain (old injury). I thought today about mixing in a bit of scout's pace: there's a bit of my routine walk that is a 5 min stretch of straight path so I did a 10 paces on/off scout's pace for that. I think I'll do that for a week and see if my knee complains and if it doesn't, I'll add a second 5 min stretch (I have a convenient park nearby with straight sides approx 5 mins each). Etc. It's all bodyweight and no gym. And as long as you have decent trainers on, no need for any special clothes.

Page Snipe:

'83 is an upcoming Indian Hindi-language sports drama film,

Catte taxe:

I know I've shared this link before, but no harm doing it again: this sanctuary in Gloucestershire looks after a number of cats with various disabilities. They're not a charity and rely on donations (they also have an Amazon wishlist https://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/2V1KHLYQY0Z8M).

http://www.complicatedcats.com/home.html

quote:

This is the website for our small independent cat sanctuary. We care for a mix of felines. Some with special needs and some that just couldn't cope in regular homes.
Life with our cat family takes 24/7 dedication. It can be financially and emotionally draining. They are worth it.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

I'm not caught up just now so apologies if it's been mentioned, but there's another podcast planning meeting in like 5 minutes on discord for anyone wanting to get involved.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

E: gently caress sake

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1160570412817948673
Top story on the Grauniad right now.

Lucas has really gone down in my estimation recently. It's a sorry state when she's happy to work with the likes of Swinson, Cooper and Justine loving Greening but shuns the idea of a Corbyn-led government.

She doesn’t actually say that she’d be unwilling to support Corbyn in government herself, but the other parties won’t so it can’t happen.
Sadly with only one MP the Greens can’t actually make up the difference that Corbyn’s going to fail any vote of confidence by currently.

Carline Lucas posted:

To begin with that means denying Boris Johnson the reins of power through a no-confidence vote and establishing a national unity government. Political tribalism would likely scupper any moves that are just about putting Jeremy Corbyn in charge. So far the Labour leadership’s reaction has been to suggest they would not work in coalition with other parties, and politicians from some other parties have made clear that they would not serve under his leadership. A government of national unity must do exactly that – unite parties. And I believe that a cross-party cabinet of women has the potential to do exactly that.

Not that this cross party government of national unity has any more chance of passing a confidence vote today, lol

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I’d like to propose the crackhead who just walked down our street smashing car windows for caretaker PM.
has a can do attitude, gets poo poo done, is a woman. totally qualified.

just need to check she didn’t vote leave in 2016

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Cerv posted:

I’d like to propose the crackhead who just walked down our street smashing car windows for caretaker PM.
has a can do attitude, gets poo poo done, is a woman. totally qualified.

just need to check she didn’t vote leave in 2016

but Theresa May has already been PM

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Just imagine the look on their faces if JC went "ok fab, go ahead and take Dianne". They'd loving die (the wrong sort of woman you see). I'd think they would backtrack with Thornberry even.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Katie Hopkins tweeting about Muslims invading Oslo hours after a terror attack happened on an Oslo mosque, normal

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the "celebrating on the streets after 9/11" was, as always, projection.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kurtofan posted:

Katie Hopkins tweeting about Muslims invading Oslo hours after a terror attack happened on an Oslo mosque, normal

the terrorist shot a single 75 year old man who was also the person who fought him off so police could arrest him lol

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jose posted:

the terrorist shot a single 75 year old man who was also the person who fought him off so police could arrest him lol
*65. Unfortunately, he killed his 17 year old step sister before he tried his hand at terrorism.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jose posted:

I'm so happy when these ubermensch saviors of the west get shown for the fools that they are.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

A Buttery Pastry posted:

*65. Unfortunately, he killed his 17 year old step sister before he tried his hand at terrorism.

gently caress

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Jose posted:

https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1160257214109671426?s=20

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

expect this to be 99% of the coverage

if the press can use "mentally ill" as the reasoning behind the attack they don't have to ask potentially awkward questions about islamophobia and their part in the stoking thereof

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Cerv posted:

She doesn’t actually say that she’d be unwilling to support Corbyn in government herself, but the other parties won’t so it can’t happen.
Sadly with only one MP the Greens can’t actually make up the difference that Corbyn’s going to fail any vote of confidence by currently.

Why is Thornberry on her wish-list but not Abbott? Why is her fantasy cabinet entirely white?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jabby posted:

Why is Thornberry on her wish-list but not Abbott? Why is her fantasy cabinet entirely white?

White privilege

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Look she's satisfied one of the identity groups with her all woman cabinet so that means you can't criticize her on any of the others or your the real misogynist *high fives every all cis white masc gay male pride board*

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

jabby posted:

You know why.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

jabby posted:

Abbott's experience being black dilutes her experience with being a woman. They need people whose only difference from a standard white male politician is being a woman, so they can be sure that everything they do different is informed solely by being women.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
So i'm down to Corbyn led labour or pissing on my ballot now. Bummer.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

MrFlibble posted:

So i'm down to Corbyn led labour or pissing on my ballot now. Bummer.

You don't have to expose yourself in public AND you get to vote for Corbyn government, seems win:win.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

thespaceinvader posted:

You don't have to expose yourself in public AND you get to vote for Corbyn government, seems win:win.

If i'm mad enough to go to the polls and Corbyn isn't leading labour I wouldn't have been exposing myself when I pissed on my ballot, trust me.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Dead Goon posted:

From what I have read on the internet, Cross Fit is universally reviled and mocked by actual fitness people.

Crossfit is fine if you don't mind rhabdomyolysis or don't really need your shoulders, back or knees for anything.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
crossfart

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WhatEvil posted:

rhabdomyolysis
A terrifying cross between Dominic Raab and Stefan Molyneux.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
You want to be careful you don't go and get fat ankles, whatever you do. Nothing worse than going and getting fat ankles.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

feedmegin posted:

The scabs were the ones with the support of the wider Party that time though, and look what happened to National Labour.

The bigger point is that in the first election after the split Labour won 52 seats. Down from 287. In 1935 they'd recovered to 154 MPs. Obviously World War 2 got in the way after that but still, that's the sort of collapse it can decade a decade plus to recover from and I dunno about you but I really don't fancy that.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Can anyone help with some landlord specific questions? My landlord just served us a 60 day notice to quit the property, but we only have around 10 days left on the tenancy agreement before it was up for renewal (which he is not doing).

Should we be signing a new agreement for the period beyond the end of the tenancy? As it seems to me once the tenancy agreement is ended then we're not tied to the house legally. I don't want to accidentally end up a squatter or anything.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

a lovely king posted:

Can anyone help with some landlord specific questions? My landlord just served us a 60 day notice to quit the property, but we only have around 10 days left on the tenancy agreement before it was up for renewal (which he is not doing).

Should we be signing a new agreement for the period beyond the end of the tenancy? As it seems to me once the tenancy agreement is ended then we're not tied to the house legally. I don't want to accidentally end up a squatter or anything.

Most tenancies default to a rolling contract, so you'd have that for 60 days, but if he's already said he's not renewing (with adequate notice) then you should have been looking elsewhere.

If you're on good terms with him you could ask him for a month rolling. And work from there.

If not kill him for being a scumlord and squat forever.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

a lovely king posted:

Typically, a fixed minimum term tenancy switches to monthly if neither party renews/cancels. So long as you're still paying the rent, you should be OK.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

a lovely king posted:

My cursory googling suggests you might have a fixed term agreement in which case you'd be rolling over to a periodic tenancy in 10 days time, in which case you're covered: https://www.thetenantsvoice.co.uk/advice_from_us/renewing-a-tenancy-agreement/

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cross...poo poo :smuggo:

I've been looking at buying some weights and a rack etc so I can lift at home (because I know I won't go to the gym) and it's pretty reasonable until you need to buy the plates. Holy gently caress why are they so expensive? It's like 350 quid for a bench and rack and barbell and then 500+ just for the drat plates.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bardeh posted:

I've been looking at buying some weights and a rack etc so I can lift at home (because I know I won't go to the gym) and it's pretty reasonable until you need to buy the plates. Holy gently caress why are they so expensive? It's like 350 quid for a bench and rack and barbell and then 500+ just for the drat plates.

145kg set with 7ft 20kg Olympic bar:

https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/body-power-145kg-rubber-encased-tri-grip-olympic-set.html

£340, free delivery.

Seems v reasonable to me for rubberised weights.

E: Unless the issue is that you're a loving beast and need like 300kg of plates I guess.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 11, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't you just steal lead from some stately home's roof and then cast it in a wood mold and then stick sugru around it?

Lead weights would be more compact than brass or steel too.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

How much does your mum weigh? Because I lift that every day

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm also someone who found going to the gym intimidating until my friends bullied me into joining them. I was totally wrong. It's really true that nobody notices you. Everyone has their headphones on.

And the gym I joined is 24 hours so you can go at weird hours when the place is empty, it's great.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Bardeh posted:

£1 per lb is pretty typical I think (maybe worse now with brexit gotta melt all that iron down for COMMEMORATIVE LOYALTY COINS) and you're probably not gonna get a big bulk discount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've been hitting the gym for a while, usually Tuesday Wednesday Thursday whilst I'm away on work. Because I'm on expenses and in a hotel in not eating well as I can cook for myself. I'm doing my best with eating, but I don't seem to be losing weight.

I just switched up my routine, where before I did cardio followed by weights, I'm now going about 5 weight excercises plus machine assisted pull-ups. I thought something must be happening as I was super regular but I'm the same weight still. Should I stick with this method yet?