Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

The Dominion capital ships not firing really stands out in HD and me watching it 20 times in a row.

I never noticed before that none of the background ships are firing any weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

In The Flesh definitely seemed like it was an idea a writer had to set something on earth and have random aliens impersonating Starfleet, but the only way they could connect the dots about the aliens knowing enough about Starfleet to want to impersonate and destroy it was picking an alien species the crew already encountered. spin the wheel and it lands on 8472.

it's crazy that they were only in 3 episodes (and only in 2 with their standard look), they seemed like a bigger part of the show. hell, I kinda liked them. I think star trek online expands on them in some way

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Whoa what's the story on this? I tineyed it but just got a bunch of imgur results and whatnot.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

A Matter of Honour is a real good episode. Got to love Brian Thompson as a Klingon, Riker in full Riker mode on the Klingon ship, and that weird annoying Benzite messing everything up.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Whoa what's the story on this? I tineyed it but just got a bunch of imgur results and whatnot.

Do you mean the change my mind meme or Kahn?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Aha, ok. (Yes I thought it was real, durr.)

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Because the writers/producers did not want the character to become a different person - they wanted to continue telling stories with the same person.

Ron Moore investigated the question of “what if Chief O’Brien was actually permanently effected by all the trauma he goes through” on BSG, and the answer was that it gets pretty loving bleak.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Aha, ok. (Yes I thought it was real, durr.)

The first thing that should have tipped you off is the real ricardo montalban doesn't have a particularly blurry face. The second is he's dead.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

HorseLord posted:

The first thing that should have tipped you off is the real ricardo montalban doesn't have a particularly blurry face. The second is he's dead.

His face is blurry BECAUSE he's dead.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

HorseLord posted:

Well I didn't think it was recent. He would've looked a lot older than that. As an aside holy poo poo he lived to be 89, nice.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuxk

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

His face is blurry BECAUSE he's dead.

Well, he did record a thing or two before he died. Like the occasional commercial, perhaps extolling the virtues of the soft Corinthian leather in his favorite vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVELhUyLZGk&t=2s

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

marktheando posted:

A Matter of Honour is a real good episode. Got to love Brian Thompson as a Klingon, Riker in full Riker mode on the Klingon ship, and that weird annoying Benzite messing everything up.

It’s a pretty solid episode that ends up overlooked because it’s in the giant mess that is Season 2. I’ve always loved it, particularly Riker just trying to roll with all the poo poo the Klingons throw at him.

“One or both?” :riker:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked the part where Riker is encouraging his second officer to reconcile with his disgraced father.

"Klingon's do not discuss such matters."
"Maybe you should."
"We.... would not know now."
"Until today, I did not know how to eat Paak. *takes a forkful of live Paak to punctuate his point*"

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I always really loved the food eating scene in Matter of Honor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoOfjGqo5EY

I'd totally eat Klingon food.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Klingon food looks like 1/3 shellfish, 1/3 spaghetti, and 1/3 rubber fish bait.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I like that we eventually get the flipside of that scene, when Kurn is assigned to the Enterprise and is just disgusted by the human food he's offered.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

I like that we eventually get the flipside of that scene, when Kurn is assigned to the Enterprise and is just disgusted by the human food he's offered.

“You call these hot.....wings?”

*eats ghost pepper wings with some huge scoville unit number*

“PATHETIC! This is the food of a child!”

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

If a human ate at the Qo’noS equivalent of a B-Dubs, they’d probably die.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like to think that Qonos is so hostile a planet that any bacteria that would have existed there just cannot survive for long. All the organisms are so powerful that any bacteria that try to infect them just get beaten up by their intestinal flora and thrown out instantly. Hence them being fine eating raw food.

Alternate thing: Earth bacteria is the toughest in the galaxy, so burning it is the only way to survive it. Earth Bacteria is the single-celled equivalent of Klingons in that they are annoyingly tough and belligerant. If Karn had made the mistake of trying to eat raw bird meat he'd have been spending hours in a bathroom ruining space. Any other planet you can eat raw stuff and it's fine, but don't try it on earth.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

BioEnchanted posted:

Alternate thing: Earth bacteria is the toughest in the galaxy, so burning it is the only way to survive it. Earth Bacteria is the single-celled equivalent of Klingons in that they are annoyingly tough and belligerant. If Karn had made the mistake of trying to eat raw bird meat he'd have been spending hours in a bathroom ruining space. Any other planet you can eat raw stuff and it's fine, but don't try it on earth.

Klingons bite each other as a sign of affection. If Humans try it that poo poo's getting infected.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

8one6 posted:

Klingons bite each other as a sign of affection. If Humans try it that poo poo's getting infected.

Humans make jokes about Klingon hygiene but we bathe so often because we are the intergalactic equivalent of a Komodo Dragon. The other species don't need to clean as often. Maybe because they don't hotbox their dead by burying them deep in damp earth in a porous wooden box and leaving them to fester.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 11, 2019

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I heard that if a human bites you, it gets infected and you turn into a human, and that's what happened to the first Klingons to meet humans.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I kind of like how Klingons talk, it's very delliberate and syllable-by-syllable. Like "This-is-an-in-sult-Cap-tain-Pi-card!" I didn't notice the prevalence of the staccato until the Voyager episode where Bh'elana got split into Klingon and Human halves and her Klingon half is suddenly very stilted. That may have just been bad acting though :v:

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 11, 2019

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The prosthetic teeth probably require enunciating more strongly, so it works out. Not so much for Disco, sadly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BioEnchanted posted:

I like to think that Qonos is so hostile a planet that any bacteria that would have existed there just cannot survive for long. All the organisms are so powerful that any bacteria that try to infect them just get beaten up by their intestinal flora and thrown out instantly. Hence them being fine eating raw food.

This but it's Bolians, which is why Bolians destroy toilets with their foul discharges.

It would be interesting to see more in depth analysis of alien cuisine. Klingons clearly enjoy eating live invertebrates but that's not particularly weird. What I imagine would really freak out aliens about Earth is all the fermented stuff we have.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Grand Fromage posted:

There is no printer too big for Geordi to carry.

LOL I just got this!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I just had one of my semi-annual or so epic Trek dreams. This time, I landed a small background part on DS9!

But the cast was almost entirely Voyager. :cry::negative:

Actually it was still really fun. Walking around on my dream version of the promenade was quite something. Also De Lancie was there for some reason (we weren't filming Q-Less, or any actual episode for that matter) and I got to joke around with him a bit.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 11, 2019

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Angry Salami posted:

I've always liked that he takes a flower from the centerpiece and puts it on his plate.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It just occurred to me that the number one thing I want from Star Trek: Picard is confirmation that Seven of Nine dumped Chakotay.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Powered Descent posted:

Well, he did record a thing or two before he died. Like the occasional commercial, perhaps extolling the virtues of the soft Corinthian leather in his favorite vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVELhUyLZGk&t=2s

I knew there was a reason I kept the YouTube captions on...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it's a neat challenge to try to make edible yet alien-looking foods for actors to eat from normal terrestrial ingredients. Bregit lung looks nasty though.

I've heard eating in a scene can be a real nightmare from having to do a bunch of takes and taking a fresh bite every time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it's a neat challenge to try to make edible yet alien-looking foods for actors to eat from normal terrestrial ingredients. Bregit lung looks nasty though.

I've heard eating in a scene can be a real nightmare from having to do a bunch of takes and taking a fresh bite every time.

The food in the dinner scene in The Undiscovered Country was squid that rapidly grew putrid under the hot studio lighting.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

curiousTerminal posted:

The Borg were fine until the introduction of Unimatrix Zero. Once they brought back the Borg Queen it got ridiculous. I can let the Worfing of the Borg via 8472 go by because that's just a common long running show problem where each threat has to be bigger than the last so they use the previous threat to indicate how big the new one is, over and over. (Like the Daleks in the 2005 Doctor Who) and I'm even sort of okay with the drone kids that Seven begrudgingly adopts, but "Some Borg secretly dream of being real people again in a harmonious forest dimension they can't remember" is just loving stupid.

The Borg would be so much better if they weren't trying so goddamn hard to villainize the concept of collectivism. I get it, we're an independent and selfish culture to an extreme fault, but like give me a break, there are clear advantages to a species that works collectively towards a shared goal towards the overall benefit of all. The Borg are also portrayed as monumentally stupid. They connect such a wide variety of species and cultures and technology it's absurd they end up as this like comically oblivious race of people. They should be vastly more intelligent than anyone they come across generally. Borg could and should be subtly infiltrating targeted societies to assimilate them and others connected to them without relying on resistance-inspiring brute force.

Joining the Borg should be tantalizing in and of itself, there should be some individuals who genuinely and rightfully believe their existence may be improved as part of a higher being.

Instead they're just massive space jerks who never seem nearly as threatening as they could be for all the goofery.

P.S. gently caress Borg Queen for the same reason gently caress Bee Queens. It's a stupid, misleading, needlessly anthropomorphising title. Bee Queens aren't rulers. The human equivalent of a "queen bee" would be a floating womb and vagina that you poured maple syrup into until it shits out a continual stream of babies. The failure of the Borg Queen as a character and plot device is basically the same bullshit why it wouldn't work to have Bee Queens as their god awful title implies.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Man season two is great. Matter of Honour followed by Measure of a Man...

Oh poo poo now it's The Dauphin, time for lovesick Wesley.

Yeah the Borg are scary communists who have come to steal your rugged individualism.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Khanstant posted:

The Borg would be so much better if they weren't trying so goddamn hard to villainize the concept of collectivism. I get it, we're an independent and selfish culture to an extreme fault, but like give me a break, there are clear advantages to a species that works collectively towards a shared goal towards the overall benefit of all. The Borg are also portrayed as monumentally stupid. They connect such a wide variety of species and cultures and technology it's absurd they end up as this like comically oblivious race of people. They should be vastly more intelligent than anyone they come across generally. Borg could and should be subtly infiltrating targeted societies to assimilate them and others connected to them without relying on resistance-inspiring brute force.

Joining the Borg should be tantalizing in and of itself, there should be some individuals who genuinely and rightfully believe their existence may be improved as part of a higher being.

Instead they're just massive space jerks who never seem nearly as threatening as they could be for all the goofery.

The individual Borg is a replaceable cog in the machine that is the Borg collective. Also, single Borgs don't need to be intelligent, they are better off spending their brain CPU power on whatever problem the collective needs solving. Before they encountered the federation, they didn't need anything but brute force to quickly get what they want (I'm ignoring species whatever). Even if they experience some causalities, they can always easily just get more drones.

Yes, there are some crazy people who might see joining the Borg as a good thing, but people also join cults all the time.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

lol i forgot the space princess Wesley falls in love with is actually some kind of yeti looking shapeshifter.

Edit- oh actually a glowy energy being.

marktheando fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 12, 2019

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Borg are zombies...they're a swarm of hostile mindless things that were once human and are now not, and now want nothing more than to turn you into one of them. I dont think it's meant to be some deep dive in the nature of collectivism or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Borg as originally presented seemed like basically zombies. They're not so much presented as voluntary collectivism as a semi-malevolent force that hungers for sentient beings to absorb. They're also prone to the same kind of seeming brainlessness and arbitrarily breaking rules as most forms of zombies.

There is another hivemind society portrayed in Star Trek where membership is (theoretically) voluntary though: the changeling Great Link. In contrast to the Borg's ruthless domination of everything in their path and absorbing sentient life as raw material, the Great Link dominates everything in their path and seeks to incorporate all other sentient life into their dominion as mere tools. However, the Great Link does get its own little sort of sympathetic explanation, where individuals within the link communicate so fluidly that it becomes a big part of how they view unlinking creatures as lesser, and it winds up becoming the bulk of Odo's inner turmoil, the hunger for the Great Link versus his feelings about love and justice.