Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I got the all time lowest score ever recorded in Pure Maths 2 A-Level in my school, mainly because I didn't get differentiation/integration from the start and both my teachers were loving awful

I got 12% on Core 4 (or some other hilariously low mark resulting in a U grade) but a B overall in A2 Maths because I was a Mechanics savant and got >90%

Numbers that don't relate to ladders leaning against walls are bullshit.

Still managed to crash to a D in Physics though.

Man I was a lovely sixth form student.

e: 105 - the number of times my teachers regretted giving me a full scholarship to their fancy school after my laziness began to outweigh my talent

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

University is a great time - it's the only period of most people's lives where they will have freedom from parental control and oversight while not having to slave away 40 hours a week on some job to live. It's the closest we have to some kind of UBI stage - you have a bunch of (young) adults with student loan money guaranteed and not all of them having a pressing need to work (some do due to rent but many dont). So what do they do? Learn (maybe) but discounting that the clubs and societies aspect gives a bunch of people a bunch of new activities they can do and be a part of, much like we'd want people to do under UBI. You'd want to get rid of one of the few places where economic pressure is somewhat abated and replace it with more work?

Like, we do have an issue with ongoing commodification of higher education - a degree only being worthwhile for a job, people doing degrees in accountancy or business or other things that should be vocational. But the answer isn't to destroy HE, because the cause of this is the ongoing economic pressure we're all under - when it's harder and harder to get a "good job" more and more people seek an education that will achieve it. But if that pressure is loosen with better economic policies then people will be able to learn more about what interests them. The predicted grade system is poo poo though, good riddance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're suggesting that university is good because people take out loans and go on a four year bender I'm not sure why you need to involve the university.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

StarkingBarfish posted:

I don't get it- in the current system offers are made based on predictions. In the new system they'd be made based on results. A university can say 'you need to get AAB' or whatever, and if your exam results are better than AAB you're in. How is this any more work than before for the uni?

Currently the UCAS deadline is December and applications are coming in for a couple of months before then.
The problem isn’t so much “more work” it’s doing that same work in a hugely compressed timeline.
For courses which aren’t just based on grades (e.g. require portfolio review, musical audition, interview) that’s going to be difficult.

Replacing the system is not impossible, obviously since other countries do post-results applications.
But it is a huge change to thousands of institutions with a lot of institutional inertia behind them. It’s not going to happen overnight. Going to be a big one off expense for all schools, unis, to rebuild business processes. Hope I don’t have to touch that project 😭

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

sebzilla posted:

I got 12% on Core 4 (or some other hilariously low mark resulting in a U grade) but a B overall in A2 Maths because I was a Mechanics savant and got >90%

Core 4 was a the bastard that ruined my pure A streak in maths.

But I was the only one who solved the bastard-hard final question that even the Further Maths people couldn't solve so I was smug as poo poo between that exam and results day.

And then doubly smug because I got an A and the smug right-wing shithead in my class got a B and was livid that a Further Maths student could lose to a left-leaning Core Maths student.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

If you're suggesting that university is good because people take out loans and go on a four year bender I'm not sure why you need to involve the university.

Mandatory 3 year vacations upon completing A-levels. Fun-haters can opt to vacation to a university library.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

England is the bottom right bit.

Thought this map was about rebranding the UK as "West Norway", and honestly not the worst idea

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sudway surely?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sebzilla posted:

i was the reverse pretty much

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nothingtoseehere posted:

University is a great time
I don't think it's for everyone.

Which isn't to say that I approve of the current screening system to keep oiks out or whatever, but some people really don't mesh well with the academic life, and normalizing the idea that it's something everyone should do unless you're a thicko or some type of trade has turned it into a harmful form of career gatekeeping.

I also worry that a lot of young men who don't like the idea will buy into the idiot Spiked On Line idea that universities were somehow better when they were shitter towards women and minorities and didn't do the genders study or whatever they're pissy about this week, because that's currently the mainstream alternative idea to 'everyone should go uni' that's floating around the chudtubes, and that's also obviously wrong.

OwlFancier posted:

Also this.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

Because University is where all the people your age doing the same thing are and taking out loans to go on a 4 year bender is a lot less wholesome when you do it on your own.

But in all seriousness, that's where the clubs and societies and new knowledge in all sorts of forms, are. It's difficult to find what you want to do with yourself without being in the melting pot of a whole bunch of people doing the same thing, in structured or semi-structured ways.

That was part of the University experience I basically entirely missed out on and wow do I regret that now, 15 years later.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Hmm I wonder why I might be relieved by a support network from the government that wants me to stay rather than from the government that wants me to leave.

I get that robotic regurgitation of SNP lines is what you're known for (that and mandolins, obvs), but there's a kind of vibrant comic infatuation that approaches abjectly absurd performance art. I genuinely can't imagine anyone else describing a CAB phone line (and a factsheet! and a poster!) as a "support network."

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I wonder how many kids are going to do a trade nowadays considering a university degree isn't that special anymore?

Seriously, there's all this push for STEM, but you need to have manual skills to compliment the construction, plumbing, wiring etc of all your fancy science doohickeys. Personally if I had the opportunity to go back in time, I'd sod off uni and do my sparky apprenticeship. Lord knows your prospects are better and it pays pretty drat well.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I don't think it's for everyone.

Which isn't to say that I approve of the current screening system to keep oiks out or whatever, but some people really don't mesh well with the academic life, and normalizing the idea that it's something everyone should do unless you're a thicko or some type of trade has turned it into a harmful form of career gatekeeping.

I also worry that a lot of young men who don't like the idea will buy into the idiot Spiked On Line idea that universities were somehow better when they were shitter towards women and minorities and didn't do the genders study or whatever they're pissy about this week, because that's currently the mainstream alternative idea to 'everyone should go uni' that's floating around the chudtubes, and that's also obviously wrong.

Also this.

No, it isn't. But it's not something terrible that should be abolished - just something more people are pushed through than would enjoy it due to economic/social pressure. Like, I'd be up for giving young people money to go on benders without uni since it's no wonder that people go for uni when they don't want to when the alternative is much less social and fun. The % of people in university probably should drop, but not by much - there's still working class people who would benefit from university not going due to earlier failures in education even as there are too many middle class kids in uni.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Diet Crack posted:

I wonder how many kids are going to do a trade nowadays considering a university degree isn't that special anymore?

Seriously, there's all this push for STEM, but you need to have manual skills to compliment the construction, plumbing, wiring etc of all your fancy science doohickeys. Personally if I had the opportunity to go back in time, I'd sod off uni and do my sparky apprenticeship.

I'd've happily done a trade if I'd even come close to knowing it was an option at the time, too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also wish I had learned a trade but nobody even came close to giving me even the faintest hint of practical skills in school college or uni. Hated uni, only went because I was "supposed" to and it's done me gently caress all good thus far.

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
Just found out next month leeds is having a Saturday with a Tommy Robinson march in the morning and a terf one in afternoon. What a great day to not come anywhere near the town centre

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno that sounds like a good chance to see LADS fight TERFs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
More like a great day to
https://twitter.com/esoapbox/status/1130471528515145728

e: ^ Loud Angry Dad Sectarians vs. Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminists

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

Also wish I had learned a trade but nobody even came close to giving me even the faintest hint of practical skills in school college or uni. Hated uni, only went because I was "supposed" to and it's done me gently caress all good thus far.

Likewise. My Bachelors has been nothing but a piece of paper hanging on my wall. I went and did a diploma in Electronics Engineering a couple of years afterward when I realised I wasn't going to get any of the jobs I wanted.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Education is, for the most part, a waste of time, because it does not teach you things you have any use for, while simultaneously being commodified into something you are required to have, and until you can break that relationship I don't think it's going to be a benefit to humanity as a whole. Useless knowledge is fine if it's on your own time, and being required to have things is fine if the things are actually necessary, but combine the two and you have a difficult to acquire but ultimately useless commodity as a gatekeeper of whether or not you have access to positions of power, which is loving stupid and might as well just go straight to "you can have the job if your parents are important enough"

It's cargo culting how education is "supposed" to work where the point is not to spend time teaching you something difficult but valuable so you can apply it, the point is to make the acquisition difficult so that acquiring it is an arbitrary designator of status.

I definitely agree that education is broken because as it stands, we are still using a only slightly tweaked version of a system concocted in the 19th century to train factory workers. Apart from the occasional group project, children and adults are trained to memorize a bunch of facts, work entirely on their own sitting in their own space, utterly unaware of the world at large then throw them into a society and jobs all about collaboration (or at least meant to be so). The whole thing needs to be rebuilt from the ground up to produce citizens with critical thinking skills and all the tools required to figure out who they are, participate adequately in society, eliminate harmful biases they might have, etc. And it needs to be redesigned by proper experts in multiple fields from education to sociology, not by a bunch of tech Bros wanting to "disrupt" education. Sadly, good luck finding a government anywhere willing to take the risk.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Seems bad, even by the usual mystical standards of the global financial markets

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1161583201963393024?s=19

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Sudway surely?

Sørge

Which sounds a bit like a member of the Russian mafia but hey ho

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Seeming I work in a London College, I can confirm that they are all run like businesses these days. The amount of debt students rack up is loving staggering.

I'm also fairly certain the government loathes teachers and would love for every child to just do E-Learning. "How dare you teach them to stand up to the oppressors and challenge things!"

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 14, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The student loan company sent me a thingy a while ago demanding I tell them my details.

Seemed like a very passive aggressive way of saying "we lost them so you have to fix that" cos it's not like I've changed them and they have access to my loving P60.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

No, it isn't. But it's not something terrible that should be abolished - just something more people are pushed through than would enjoy it due to economic/social pressure. Like, I'd be up for giving young people money to go on benders without uni since it's no wonder that people go for uni when they don't want to when the alternative is much less social and fun. The % of people in university probably should drop, but not by much - there's still working class people who would benefit from university not going due to earlier failures in education even as there are too many middle class kids in uni.

Sadly a lot of trades (especially construction) destroy your body. The push for everyone to go to college doesn't just come from parents wanting to show off their kid's accomplishments, it's also parents who want their kids to be able to spend retirement not confined to a bed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Why doesn't everyone just work in an office?" I opine as I starve to death.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

AceOfFlames posted:

Sadly a lot of trades (especially construction) destroy your body.

Couldn't the same be said of a low pay, high stress job doing x? I get there's a physical element to construction work, but I'd say chefs/cooks have it just as bad being on your feet all day, working horrendous hours with poo poo pay.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Look we've got robots for that.

I don't need a chef I just have this soylent IV.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

"Why doesn't everyone just work in an office?" I opine as I starve to death.

Or you can develop robot exoskeletons and other such tools to minimize people crippling themselves in manual labor.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not under capitalism you can't, as long as human life is cheaper than robots.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Or just become really wealthy and make everyone else do things for you.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno that sounds like a good chance to see LADS fight TERFs.

I applaud your optimism in assuming they would fight rather than join forces in a toxic parade of arseholery.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Because University is where all the people your age doing the same thing are and taking out loans to go on a 4 year bender is a lot less wholesome when you do it on your own.

But in all seriousness, that's where the clubs and societies and new knowledge in all sorts of forms, are. It's difficult to find what you want to do with yourself without being in the melting pot of a whole bunch of people doing the same thing, in structured or semi-structured ways.

That was part of the University experience I basically entirely missed out on and wow do I regret that now, 15 years later.

Yea thats the most valuable bit of university, and the bit say working class kids at lower rank universities probably miss out on. But that element is closest to what we'd want a UBI society to be like, so we should nurture it where we can.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

AceOfFlames posted:

Or you can develop robot exoskeletons and other such tools to minimize people crippling themselves in manual labor.

Seems unrealistic, when the much simpler option is Constructicons, and those dinosaurs with mind-control helmets from Dino Riders

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

I applaud your optimism in assuming they would fight rather than join forces in a toxic parade of arseholery.

I'd be quite surprised if EDL wankers would get along with Germaine Greer types.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-inflation-rate-rise-increase-cpi-july-economy-latest-rail-season-ticket-a9056761.html

They keep talking about wage growth, mines been the loving same for eternity. Also how is inflation going up any sort of shock? That's basic economic principle when you loving destroy all trade avenues and the economy goes into a panic.

Yesterday's juxtaposition of the Tories going "LOL WE MADE MORE JOBS YOU UNGRATEFUL FUCKS" followed by everyone else posting "Unemployment is rising, yet again" was pretty lol and rage inducing at the same time.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I'd be quite surprised if EDL wankers would get along with Germaine Greer types.

They would both quite happily beat the poo poo out of any trans people they see so y'know

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The offer is based on that. Then you have to get it. Although not always.

Speaking as someone who works (in IT related to) university admissions, no you really don't have to get it.

I know our institution ignores them and just goes "Are you doing 3 a levels (or equivalent), offer BBB in that, and even if you get CCD we'll still take your money"

FWIW this wouldn't change the workload that much as A: People will still give offers early if they arew allowed

B: Post Exams results is chaos anyway

AMA about university admissions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Is Clearing fun?

(I've been supporting our admissions team over the past week because it's utter loving chaos there)

e: I've never seen so much confidential waste in my life.