Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Angry Salami posted:

I think one of the tech manuals says it's a big sensor array.

t h i c c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Big sensor array energy

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Thom12255 posted:

What is the purpose of the exposed metal on Voyager?

Aren't all ships covered in exposed metal? :confused:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

Aren't all ships covered in exposed metal? :confused:

No, most of them have vinyl body wraps

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Does Voyager not have any Aztec panelling on its hull? The physical and computer models of the ship always make it look so flat compared to other Starfleet ships

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

No, most of them have vinyl body wraps

Just like my house!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If I was ever making a scifi series focused on a space ship I'd at least have a general floor plan of the whole ship and sticking to that when it comes to building sets and making sure the scripts never contradict the basics of the layout. It's not the sort of things most people would even pick up on but I think details like that actually really add some needed consistency and sense of place.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Exposed greebling is like the most Sternbach thing ever

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Baronjutter posted:

If I was ever making a scifi series focused on a space ship I'd at least have a general floor plan of the whole ship and sticking to that when it comes to building sets and making sure the scripts never contradict the basics of the layout. It's not the sort of things most people would even pick up on but I think details like that actually really add some needed consistency and sense of place.

It definitely helped Serenity feel like a proper home in space. You could feel the shape and dimensions of the ship just from the camera following characters around.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Zurui posted:

It definitely helped Serenity feel like a proper home in space. You could feel the shape and dimensions of the ship just from the camera following characters around.

I loved the way they moved around that ship, grabbing on bars or edges to swing around, kicking open hatches to drop in, etc. Felt like they knew it back to front.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

They did have a fairly detailed plan of layout and features for the Enterprise-D that Probert laid out (and he worked with Ed Whitefire to make a complete ship deckplan during season one, but that was later abandoned and half plagarised into the sternbach plans), and Probert very deliberately gave them a space for a ten-forward-like set knowing they might want one in future:

The four windows would be a big lounge, and the little ones to the left and right would be smaller lounges. He cut them into the ship because he knew if they built it as a set they wouldn't want to angle the windows as extremely as the hull slants.

But when season 2 started the producers ignored that and were like 'no we want one at the very front' so ten-forward was retconned in instead and then later made the saucer rim thicker on the four foot model so they could put bigger windows there that weren't on the six-footer.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 14, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MikeJF posted:

They did have an extremely detailed plan for the Enterprise-D that Probert laid out, and he very deliberately gave them a space for a ten-forward-like set knowing they might want one in future:

The four windows would be a big lounge, and the little ones to the left and right would be smaller lounges. He cut them into the ship because he knew if they built it as a set they wouldn't want to angle the windows as extremely as the hull slants.

But when season 2 started the producers ignored that and were like 'no we want one at the very front' so ten-forward was retconned in instead and then later made the saucer rim thicker on the four foot model so they could put bigger windows there that weren't on the six-footer.

Yeah I've heard this story before and it makes me upset :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I've heard this story before and it makes me upset :(

There was also a space for a little officer's lounge right under the bridge called two-forward!

Don't worry, we'll be able to visit both it and the deck twelve lounge in the Stage Nine virtual enterpr- oh. Never mind.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 14, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Trek has both some of the worst fan-work related policies and the worst fan-work. Maybe they deserve each other. Stage 9 was good and pure though.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I don't want to flood the forum with this, but I got good reception on a short documentary I did on Voyager's resident Native American expert Jamake Highwater in another thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMmUTIp9BOs

Akoocheemoya!

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Trek has both some of the worst fan-work related policies and the worst fan-work. Maybe they deserve each other. Stage 9 was good and pure though.

And then the devs got hired to make an official version for the latest Star Trek series The Orville.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALHs9lDdsc0

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The Golden Gael posted:

I don't want to flood the forum with this, but I got good reception on a short documentary I did on Voyager's resident Native American expert Jamake Highwater in another thread:

Akoocheemoya!

I enjoyed this. Thanks for not making it double the length by repeating points and offering random unrelated tangents (as many YouTube documentarians do).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Star Trek Continues was great but then it came out the star/producer was a serial convention groper/fan groomer/sex pest.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Star Trek Continues was great but then it came out the star/producer was a serial convention groper/fan groomer/sex pest.

Youtube won't stop recommending me videos of people defending him.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Zurui posted:

I enjoyed this. Thanks for not making it double the length by repeating points and offering random unrelated tangents (as many YouTube documentarians do).

Part of my mission is the whole explore strange new worlds poo poo, which means not doing topics that have been done, not having too much pointless chatter, and no talking head nonsense (I'm not Balok)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Golden Gael posted:

Akoocheemoya!

This is really good, nice work and thanks for sharing!

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by this after I heard him bitching in an interview that the change from where no man has gone before to where no one was too politically correct

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
He’s also incredibly stupid and keeps implicating himself in the depositions, which makes for some great comedy.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

The guy with the elvis hair? Doesn't he run the set as an officially licenced museum now? I'd be wondering how paramount feel about this.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

HorseLord posted:

The guy with the elvis hair? Doesn't he run the set as an officially licenced museum now? I'd be wondering how paramount feel about this.

That’s James Cawley, the guy from New Voyages. The pedo idiot is Vic Mignogna from Star Trek Continues, who also did/does a bunch of anime voice acting.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Wha... wait, he's a pedo too?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Wha... wait, he's a pedo too?

Basically any female fan that came for a photo with him he would sneak a kiss in during the photo as a "gift" without asking, and he didn't ask a) their consent or b) their ages. And since he is primarily a voice actor in shows with a young fanbase, he knew what he was doing

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

There was also a space for a little officer's lounge right under the bridge called two-forward!

Don't worry, we'll be able to visit both it and the deck twelve lounge in the Stage Nine virtual enterpr- oh. Never mind.

This is both cool and it makes me irrationally angry that we never saw it.
Not to mention the whole Captain's Yacht thing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

He's also some sort of hard core christian fundamentalist who hates the gays.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
hahaha everything really is horrible isn't it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tighclops posted:

hahaha everything really is horrible isn't it
Vic Mignogna's been horrible since forever.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
He wrote a song about Darth Vader to the tune of "Mary did you know?"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Basically any female fan that came for a photo with him he would sneak a kiss in during the photo as a "gift" without asking, and he didn't ask a) their consent or b) their ages. And since he is primarily a voice actor in shows with a young fanbase, he knew what he was doing

Didn’t he also get caught trying to lure fans into his hotel room to see “props” from his shows?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Didn’t he also get caught trying to lure fans into his hotel room to see “props” from his shows?

Props... from an anime?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nullsmack posted:

This is both cool and it makes me irrationally angry that we never saw it.
Not to mention the whole Captain's Yacht thing.

Rick Sternbach, while designing Voyager, figured that there would be lots of use for a secondary craft, bigger and badder than a shuttle but a lot sleeker-looking than a stodgy old runabout. (But with a similar enough cockpit that it'd be possible to use the runabout interior sets with just a slight redress.) So he came up with the Aeroshuttle, and made sure it was visible on the model, docked in the underside of Voyager's saucer, captain's-yacht-style.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Aeroshuttle

And a few seasons in, the show runners did indeed decide that the crew should have just such a ship. So they... totally ignored the aeroshuttle and had them build the Delta Flyer.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

MikeJF posted:

(and he worked with Ed Whitefire to make a complete ship deckplan during season one, but that was later abandoned and half plagarised into the sternbach plans)

You can find both sets of deckplans online, but one interesting difference between them is that the Whitefire plans have actually had some proper engineering thought put into them with things like structural members, whereas the Sternbach plans are entirely corridors and rooms. Of course, you can handwave that away with future engineering and structural integrity fields

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
If I remember right Ed Whitefire had actual aeronautical design experience.

A good friend of mine once did me a big solid when he was working in a lab testing printers, and he ran off the full Whitefire set for me on high quality paper. I've got over 20 square feet of my office wall covered in Enterprise-D deck plans.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

A good friend of mine once did me a big solid when he was working in a lab testing printers, and he ran off the full Whitefire set for me on high quality paper. I've got over 20 square feet of my office wall covered in Enterprise-D deck plans.

you have to post a picture

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

*extremely Data voice* I feel... Envy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Captain Keogh was an absolute badass. His entire ship just continuously exploding all around him and he's still barking out orders.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Keogh

quote:

The decision to destroy the Odyssey and Keogh along with it was decided upon by Deep Space Nine production staff as a way of showing the Jem'Hadar as particularly dangerous foes. "We wanted to show the long-term fans how dangerous these guys were", recalled Robert Hewitt Wolfe. "And it's my belief that had it been the Enterprise and not the Odyssey, and Picard rather than Keogh in command, that it still wouldn't have survived. Ron Moore may not agree, Patrick Stewart probably wouldn't, but it's my belief that Keogh had just as good a ship, just as good a crew, and he got smoked.

:black101:

I will still recommend STC to people. Mignogna may be an rear end, but a lot of other talented people worked on it and some of the stories were really great. As much as I dig Cawley and everything he's done/is doing (TNG sets when?), STC was the superior of the two.

If you can get past Decker in TMP and don't refuse to watch it on principle, you can watch STC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh yeah it was great. It's got fuckin James Doohans son as a drat ringer