Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Board games don't often do that kind of remake with all the copyrights shaved off. What normally happens is the ideas from within the board game get released into the atmosphere and there's a ton of board games floating about with the same basic ideas, innovating upon them in their own ways.

Might I interest anyone in my revolutionary new fusion of the building-game and WW2-game genres: Settlers of Bataan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Today I learned that cats evolved from iguanas and some humans evolved from spiders.

Board games don't often do that kind of remake with all the copyrights shaved off. What normally happens is the ideas from within the board game get released into the atmosphere and there's a ton of board games floating about with the same basic ideas, innovating upon them in their own ways.

That sort of secret traitor game is all over the place these days, from games that are just about sussing out the traitors like Secret Hitler, Two Rooms and a Boom, Resistance, and Werewolf, to games where you similarly have to accomplish tasks while the traitors try to secretly or through incompetence work against you, like Dead of Winter, Hail Hydra, or Shadows over Camelot.

It's definitely more of the latter - IIRC all the ship actions are put to color-coordinated, anonymous votes, so you can do sneaky sabotage or vote against putting people in positions of power.

Grand Fromage posted:

This is very interesting information to me, as I eye the box that I have opened but never played...

Ok I guess I exaggerated a bit, I checked and you can get it for $70-100 used, which isn't that much more than some of the more complex current favorites.

...it's the expansions that are insanely priced.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Today I learned that cats evolved from iguanas and some humans evolved from spiders.

I had momentarily forgotten what thread I was in and did a double take halfway through that sentence.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Snow Cone Capone posted:

...it's the expansions that are insanely priced.

Outside of the patches to the base game (which you can get elsewhere), the expansions are terrible. They require large amounts of houseruling to not massively destabilize the game.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I just finished watching DS9 all the way through for the first time. I can see why it's often seen as the best Trek.

Now do I watch the original 60s series or Enterprise next? I've never seen more then an episode or 2 of each.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Watch them both, flipping between each every two minutes

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Senor Tron posted:

See also the Generations version of the Enterprise bridge, which is an absolute OHS nightmare.

...which isn't for the reason you'd think. No, the true reason is that the head occupies that space behind the consoles on the left - amusingly, directly opposite the entrance to the observation lounge:

Imagine working at that left-hand console, and Worf goes into the head to take a poo poo. You're stuck there, balanced at that little workstation just outside the head, for the rest of your shift. Also, washing one's hands after pooping is considered gravely dishonorable to Klingons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Imagine pinching a loaf when you hear a muffled kaboom on the other side of the wall as your temp replacement gets showered with console rocks.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm like 100% sure that on most real world ships they don't have a shitter like right on the other side of a wall from the main bridge or CIC especially on a loving flagship or something.

You have turbolifts that can magically take you anywhere on the ship in the span of a conversation (that's how they work-- the moment a conversation is done they deliver you). I'd be taking my shits at the very end of the nacelles where the suicial dudes work.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 17, 2019

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zurui posted:

Outside of the patches to the base game (which you can get elsewhere), the expansions are terrible. They require large amounts of houseruling to not massively destabilize the game.

Beg to differ: Daybreak is solid (and fixes some issues with the base game IIRC)

Pegasus introduces Admiral Kain and her broken once per game ability, and gives you the Pegasus itself (which is basically a damage sponge for Galactica, thus perfectly mimicking the show).

The other expansion whose name I don't remember has a rule where at the end of the game (e: a game you have spent at least 2-3 hours playing), one person, essentially randomly chosen, automatically loses. So terrible that I read the rules and decided I would never play a game of BSG that used "Crossroads".

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Spalec posted:

I just finished watching DS9 all the way through for the first time. I can see why it's often seen as the best Trek.

Now do I watch the original 60s series or Enterprise next? I've never seen more then an episode or 2 of each.

TOS is delightful if occasionally dated, ENT is poo poo from an rear end.

Medoken
Jul 2, 2006

I AM A FAGET FOR BOB SAGET

Spalec posted:

The original series is very different from DS9 just because of the era of television it comes from, but also it's not as invested in its own canon. If you do watch TOS, don't bother watching the original pilot, The Cage, when you start. It was so bad they shot a second pilot and recast everyone but Leonard Nimoy. Enterprise would be more similar to DS9 just due to it having modern television sensibilities, but there's also some shared themes with war and the darker side of the Federation. I would probably lean towards watching TOS first since it's stronger overall, but don't skip Enterprise just because it's got haters.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medoken posted:

The Cage
It was so bad

Them's fightin' words.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Enterprise is pretty good but TOS is wonderful, watch that first. And then watch The Animated Series.

I'm onto the wormhole negotiation TNG episode. Another creepy boyfriend for Troi, the negotiator guy. This sleazy manipulative guy grew up in the federation but apparently loves capitalism so much he went to work for a non-federation species so he can live the life of an 80s businessman stereotype.

Also featuring the species of Pike's security chief from Discovery, with their face breathing apparatus, and some decent Ferengi hi jinx, so poor Troi aside it's an alright episode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

jeeves posted:

I'm like 100% sure that on most real world ships they don't have a shitter like right on the other side of a wall from the main bridge or CIC especially on a loving flagship or something.

You have turbolifts that can magically take you anywhere on the ship in the span of a conversation (that's how they work-- the moment a conversation is done they deliver you). I'd be taking my shits at the very end of the nacelles where the suicial dudes work.

Are you kidding this would be a primo feature.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
ENT sucks because lots of times you can see it start to get interesting but because everyone involved was either burned out or out of touch they just fizzle drat near every time. It's mostly Voyager spraypainted copper until they get 9/11 fever

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Enterprise sucks, and sucks hard, because it's Missed Opportunities: The Series.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

They did have some decent arcs in the last season, but wow that finale suck my balls as well as everyone else’s

It’s extra terrible for being a holodeck episode, too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Quicksilver6 posted:

They did have some decent arcs in the last season, but wow that finale suck my balls as well as everyone else’s

It’s extra terrible for being a holodeck episode, too.

Have you gone back and watched the final season recently? People loved it at the time because it felt like a breath of fresh air, but in reality it crawls up its own rear end almost immediately with fanwank horseshit and it never stops coming. Enterprise probably peaked--as low a bar as that is--with the latter half of season 2, and season 3 was actually not terrible, even though I always laugh at the Xindi Reptilians wearing the Reman costumes from Nemesis, just with aluminum wiring across their shoulders.

These are the Voyages..., though, that is poop from a butt. There's a reason Coto wrote Terra Prime as what he felt to be the real finale of the show, because he just knew in his heart that Berman and Braga were going to come back to gently caress around with the final episode, which they did.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You have to admire the balls on Berman and Braga to kill off the 3rd most important cast member on the show in the goddamn finale.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If the Federation has moved past the urge to acquire wealth, why does everybody on the Enterprise play poker? The highs and lows of gambling rely on the urge to acquire and the aversion to losing what you've got. It doesn't work the same if they're just meaningless pieces of plastic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

You have to admire the balls on Berman and Braga to kill off the 3rd most important cast member on the show in the goddamn finale.

I love how openly Jolene Blalock detests that episode. Man, she got done dirty on that entire series.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Medoken posted:

If you do watch TOS, don't bother watching the original pilot, The Cage, when you start. It was so bad...

What awful, unspeakable trauma did you go through to have such a wrong opinion?

Also, the network said that it was "too cerebral," not that it was bad. (They may have also thought it was bad, but that would just mean they were as wrong as you are.)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Timby posted:

I love how openly Jolene Blalock detests that episode. Man, she got done dirty on that entire series.

Imagine you're a very attractive woman (strain that imagination). You've worked as a model and actress, but you mostly get cast based on looks. It's a living, right?

But you're also a huge Star Trek nerd. You wrote love letters to Mr. Spock. You can destroy any Trek trivia contest.

Your agent calls. They want you to audition for the new Star Trek series. As a Vulcan.

Four years of skintight catsuits and decon gel scenes later, yeah, you'd probably be a little bitter.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Timby posted:

Have you gone back and watched the final season recently? People loved it at the time because it felt like a breath of fresh air, but in reality it crawls up its own rear end almost immediately with fanwank horseshit and it never stops coming. Enterprise probably peaked--as low a bar as that is--with the latter half of season 2, and season 3 was actually not terrible, even though I always laugh at the Xindi Reptilians wearing the Reman costumes from Nemesis, just with aluminum wiring across their shoulders.

These are the Voyages..., though, that is poop from a butt. There's a reason Coto wrote Terra Prime as what he felt to be the real finale of the show, because he just knew in his heart that Berman and Braga were going to come back to gently caress around with the final episode, which they did.

Fanwank is better than carefully curated, "status quo is god" meaningless sludge for 3 years.Having fun with things is much better than not having any kind of fun, or any original ideas.

Also I kinda liked the Surak episodes and seeing T'Pau. Also, more Jeffrey Combs!!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I watched all of this fairly recently and I may be in the minority here, but I always thought the Vulcan’s Forge arc was good. The WW2 arc that opens the season is schlocky and dumb, but it’s biggest sin is just being boring as hell. The Augments arc is admittedly bad, but Spiner is entertaining and I can’t fault any episode that gives Richard Riehle a paycheck. The combination Andorian/Tellarite/Romulan/Aenar episodes are a mixed bag and they waste Brian Thompson, but obviously Combs is still worth watching. The Mirror two-parter is kinda fun. Terra Prime is great. The only real duds in the last season (aside from TATV and the premiere, obviously) are the bland Daedalus episode and the Klingon arc, for reasons discussed ad nauseam in this thread. Season 4 still carries a lot of the same flaws the sunk the first two seasons, but it’s clear the show was trending upward and the only fanwanky things that didn’t feel earned were the Augment and Klingon arcs.

I would have liked to have seen what season 5 brought to the table, and I say that knowing the planned Cloud Minder, Borg Queen, and Kzinti episodes probably would have been rear end. :shrug:

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I just watched Behr's documentary. Oh god that story pitch is awful.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I was hoping for what they were going to do if they got season eight at the time, not trying to revive it now. I know they've talked about how they wanted to continue the show but the TNG Seven Year Rule prevented it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SlothfulCobra posted:

If the Federation has moved past the urge to acquire wealth, why does everybody on the Enterprise play poker? The highs and lows of gambling rely on the urge to acquire and the aversion to losing what you've got. It doesn't work the same if they're just meaningless pieces of plastic.
Looks like you brought down the LIBERALRATION's entire...

House of cards.

I figure it's a flexible-group-size game with reasonably quick rounds, a clear way to keep score, and a strong social aspect. By making it poker this is immediately clear even if they would be equally likely to play Fizzbin or the bolian game of skill and agility, dicbut.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's a TV-friendly game that gives us an excuse to see the characters when they're not at work; it's not hard to imagine everyone keeping a shoebox full of Enterprise Betting Discs under their beds for when it's their turn to host the game that week.

Speaking of, did anybody ever work out three-dimensional chess?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I watched all of this fairly recently and I may be in the minority here, but I always thought the Vulcan’s Forge arc was good. The WW2 arc that opens the season is schlocky and dumb, but it’s biggest sin is just being boring as hell. The Augments arc is admittedly bad, but Spiner is entertaining and I can’t fault any episode that gives Richard Riehle a paycheck. The combination Andorian/Tellarite/Romulan/Aenar episodes are a mixed bag and they waste Brian Thompson, but obviously Combs is still worth watching. The Mirror two-parter is kinda fun. Terra Prime is great. The only real duds in the last season (aside from TATV and the premiere, obviously) are the bland Daedalus episode and the Klingon arc, for reasons discussed ad nauseam in this thread. Season 4 still carries a lot of the same flaws the sunk the first two seasons, but it’s clear the show was trending upward and the only fanwanky things that didn’t feel earned were the Augment and Klingon arcs.

I would have liked to have seen what season 5 brought to the table, and I say that knowing the planned Cloud Minder, Borg Queen, and Kzinti episodes probably would have been rear end. :shrug:

It also helps to remember that at the time ENT had been squandering the whole prequel premise in much the same way Voyager had blown it's "lost on the other side of the galaxy" premise on lightly reheated TNG filler episodes and people were basically screaming "ROMULAN WAR" with increasing incoherence until they actually started teasing it in that last season. The fanwank is strong but at that point it was like, well loving finally. Terra Prime in particular is pretty good and made far, far better use of Peter Weller than Into Darkness did.

e: The time nazis stuff was dumb as hell but how could we have predicted that those episodes would actually be more relevant in 2019

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 17, 2019

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

T.C. posted:

Oh god that story pitch is awful.

Details! DETAILS!!!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Quicksilver6 posted:

Details! DETAILS!!!

Behold.

Then leave it behind.

As barf.

quote:

Over the course of the discussion, it is revealed that Season 8 would have picked up 20 years after the events of “What You Leave Behind”, the series finale of DS9. The first episode of that season would have opened with Captain Nog and the USS Defiant being attacked by a cloaked ship, escaping through the wormhole to reach the safety of Deep Space Nine.

However, while the reunited Kira Nerys, Jake Sisko, Miles O’Brien, Julian Bashir, Ezri Dax, Worf, and Quark are watching, the Defiant is destroyed, killing all hands, including Nog.

Over the course of the episode, it would be revealed that Bashir is now the head of Section 31 and that the shadow organization was responsible for Nog’s death and that Kira is a Vedek and is in command of a secret army of Jem’Hadar soldiers.

But best of all, that first episode would have ended with Captain Benjamin Sisko returning from the wormhole, just as he promised in “What You Leave Behind.”

Timby fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 17, 2019

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tighclops posted:

It wasn't Battlestar Galactica's fault for being what it was, the system that drives everything else to copy what is financially successful regardless of any creative input is to blame

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.
]

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

deep space 9 owns

i also forgot how horny dax was (watching the tribble ep and lol lik e3 dax hosts previous hosed bones at ole miss lmao)

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 17, 2019

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Astroman posted:

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.
]

So say we all.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

spincube posted:

Speaking of, did anybody ever work out three-dimensional chess?

It's entirely normal chess on a weird looking board.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Timby posted:

She went on a media tour about how much the finale sucked before it even aired, it was great.
The finale aired on May 13.

This was on May 9th:

quote:

Jolene Blalock, who plays T'Pol on Star Trek: Enterprise, has reiterated that she is unhappy with the series finale, "These Are the Voyages..."

"I have certainly been the vocal one," Blalock admitted to the Boston Herald. "I assumed that the ending would be about our show and not a wrapup of the conglomerate...it was just insulting."

This was on March 7th:

quote:

However, asked about the series finale, written by longtime executive producers Rick Berman & Brannon Braga, Blalock said, "I don't know where to begin with that one...the final episode is...appalling."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Even Scott Bakula, nicest man on TV, yelled at Rick Berman over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

But best of all, that first episode would have ended with Captain Benjamin Sisko returning from the wormhole, just as he promised in “What You Leave Behind.”

I'm certain coming back twenty years later is precisely what Avery Brooks did not want to happen.