Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

new Devourment is ace.

so so good

e: new page - D E V O U R M E N T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Lifeglug posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herodias

It’s a painting of Herodias with the head of John the Baptist.

I've wondered for a while if the cover of None So Vile was intended by the band as a nod to them being from Quebec, since John the Baptist is the patron saint of Quebecois and Fete de la St Jean is their big national holiday.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I dunno if this has been mentioned because this thread moves so fast, but Emma Ruth Rundle's Instagram seems to indicate that her collaboration with Thou is getting a studio recording and release. Her live collab with them was awesome.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Gorewar posted:

I've wondered for a while if the cover of None So Vile was intended by the band as a nod to them being from Quebec, since John the Baptist is the patron saint of Quebecois and Fete de la St Jean is their big national holiday.

It absolutely is.

Wait non-quebecers are just realising this now :psyduck: ?!?!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I saw some random guy in a Bathory shirt today and gave him the horns and a "gently caress yeah!" He smiled once he realized what I was saying.

Rented an apartment to a young couple from Tempe, and they'd actually heard of Gatecreeper despite not being metalheads because apparently the scene out there is really small.

Someone did that to me in downtown LA, same shirt actually. I was wearing the s/t shirt everyone has and i heard someone from a group of people yelling at me and I noticed he was just shouting "bathory! Bathory! BATHORY!" over and over

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Harminoff posted:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizards new metal album is out. Anyone listening to it? It's pretty great.

I was already on board the king gizzard train but yeah this rules

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

sticklefifer posted:

I dunno if this has been mentioned because this thread moves so fast, but Emma Ruth Rundle's Instagram seems to indicate that her collaboration with Thou is getting a studio recording and release. Her live collab with them was awesome.

That's dope, she was usually mentioned more in the stoner/doom thread but I saw Emma last year and she was really good. She dedicated a song to her sister who was at the show wearing a Mizmor shirt and selling merch.. when I bought some I told her how much Mizmor fuckin rules live too cause I just saw them at the time, and she was like "yeah that's my boyfriend's band I'll be sure to tell him!" Me: ":stare: oh nice that's awesome" while secretly wanting to hang out with all these cool people. Welp that's my ERR story.. go listen to her (and Red Sparowes and Marriages) even though it's not really metal.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cheapsteaks posted:

One time someone working at Trader Joe's recognized my Dying Fetus shirt, he suggested I pick up the book Extremity Retained which is a pretty neat book with lots of anecdotes by musicians all through the history of death metal.

Good recommendation really.

Sounds like a great read, thanks!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Man I'm about 8 listens in so far and the new Devourment is ace.

I keep waiting to go back to “nah slam doesn’t do anything for me at all” but nope I can’t, this is one of my favorite albums of the year.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Me: the ice song (cold night remedy) and gloryhammer are called power metal
My 4yo: power metal is metal that turns into power

I find that statement shockingly accurate.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Man I'm about 8 listens in so far and the new Devourment is ace.

Yup. I'm not even that big into slam but this poo poo owns

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Abysmal Lord’s new album rips. Just wanted to let y’all know this.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Sounds like a great read, thanks!

It's written by the fellow from Misery Index (earlier from Dying Fetus) so it's definitely someone with a passion for metal. It's really interesting to just read about that shift from thrash to death metal in real time too.

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

Cheapsteaks posted:

It's written by the fellow from Misery Index (earlier from Dying Fetus) so it's definitely someone with a passion for metal. It's really interesting to just read about that shift from thrash to death metal in real time too.

The book's ok. It features some redundant road/studio stories. The best part for me was learning that Blasphemy and Gorguts toured Europe together at some point and unsurprisingly hated each others guts.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

silvergoose posted:

Me: the ice song (cold night remedy) and gloryhammer are called power metal
My 4yo: power metal is metal that turns into power

I find that statement shockingly accurate.

Did you know it has been decreed by the Gods of Metal that every power metal band worth their salt must have at least one song named "Forever"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcoEr8X1fZA

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Man, Midgardsblot owns. On my way to Memoriam I stopped some Dutch people and asked if they knew that Bolt Thrower was the best band ever, and they were just like "yes we agree"

Nordick posted:

Now I generally don't mind stupid poppy fun metal, but the sheer magnitude of this band's blandness and unimaginativeness loving astounds me. I mean "Brothers of Metal"? Are you loving serious? :geno:

This is like a metal version of that Steve Buscemi meme. "How do you do, fellow metalheads?"

That's the thing, it's uncanny valley. I can't tell if they're taking themselves seriously, trying to grift people who take them seriously, or both.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Please find enclosed some death metal stuff I found on bandcamp.

https://darkened-chaos-records.bandcamp.com/album/into-the-blackness - sort of melodic'y death metal, but not really. I guess just calling it Swedeath will do. This is their blurp "Although a brand-new entity, DARKENED host a wealth of experience in the death metal underground, comprising drummer Andy Whale (ex-Bolt Thrower / Memoriam), bassist Daryl Kahan (Funebrarum), vocalist Gord Olson (Ye Goat-Herd Gods / Demisery), and guitarists Linus Nirbrant (A Canorous Quintet / This Ending) and Hempa Brynolfsson (Excruciate / Ordo Inferus)."

https://nethergate.bandcamp.com/releases - yeahhh, some old school sounding poo poo.

https://bastardgrave.bandcamp.com/album/diorama-of-human-suffering - more swedeath, with that nice buzzing guitar tone.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I found some more cool poo poo.

https://reek-of-putrescine.bandcamp.com/album/the-one-reborn - cool death metal

https://mortiusband.bandcamp.com/album/shepherding-the-weak - like, death/thrash stuff.

https://sickbay1.bandcamp.com/album/dissonance - sludgy oldschool death metal

I think Sickbay is my favourite of the lot, just nails that 90s death metal sound.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 17, 2019

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Backlogging all of these to jam after I finish listening to individual bands from a Falkenbach comp I bought.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I've been going too hard on bandcamp and I'm spending way too much.

I mean it rules that I get a new album delivered nearly every day, but yikes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Darkened is pretty rad.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I went to see a local band named Mokoma live tonight and remembered that metal gigs are good.

Gotta budget more live music into my life.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Churchburn and Mizmór are coming!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hudson Valley death metal? Hell yeah im down thanks

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

E-weird double post, I think that’s my first

gently caress yeah Hudson valley death metal

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Siivola posted:

I went to see a local band named Mokoma live tonight and remembered that metal gigs are good.

Gotta budget more live music into my life.

Lekafest? Are you a Helsinki (or Finnish capital region) goon?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah. I'd basically never even listened to Mokoma before, but I couldn't pass up a free gig.

Are there any good metal venues around Helsinki?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Siivola posted:

Yeah. I'd basically never even listened to Mokoma before, but I couldn't pass up a free gig.

On the Rocks is a metal bar/venue according to the three finns crammed into the back of the car - Circus handles metal when it comes to town, but the dedicated meddl places shut down.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Siivola posted:

From small to bigger:
Hard Rock House (Roihuvuori)
Oranssi (Suvilahti)
Cactus (Käpylä)
Lepakkomies (Kallio, though it was recently water damaged and gets renovated later this year)
On the Rocks (center)
Semifinal (Kamppi)
Kuudes Linja (Sörnäinen)
Tavastia (Kamppi)
Korjaamo (Taka-Töölö)
Ääniwalli (Vallila)
Nosturi (Punavuori, will close down at some point)

I probably forgot something and none of these are exclusively metal venues. I also left out The Circus, though there's a bunch of metal gigs there, because it sucks rear end as a venue but unfortunately with its 1500 people capacity it's probably the only place in Helsinki that's sized between Nosturi (900 people) and the ice halls (up to 15 000 people).

Edit:
I forgot Loose (Kamppi) and there's nowadays another On the Rocks somewhere in Kallio I think.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Cheers, I'll have to keep tabs on these.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Siivola posted:

Cheers, I'll have to keep tabs on these.

Midnight and Scumripper are playing at Tavastia next Friday, I've got a ticket for that.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
This is pretty cool, kinda like Whispered but actually Japanese instead of Finnish weebs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWuoG_N_CtM

Lyrics are extremely ESL, but whatever.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nordick posted:

Lyrics are extremely ESL, but whatever.

Aren't we used to that in metal by now? "If you are a false don't entry" and all

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Hell, we're used to ESL-tier lyrics from native english speakers
"A magical wizard is doing a spell"
-Gloryhammer

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I guess, and there's also the whole "lol @ paying attention to lyrics" thing, but some of those lines in the subtitles still really stuck out.

But like I said, whatever. Just do summadat good guitar poo poo and you can sing any old gobbledygook as far as I care.

Nazzadan posted:

Hell, we're used to ESL-tier lyrics from native english speakers
"A magical wizard is doing a spell"
-Gloryhammer

I feel like it's different when it's done on purpose for parody reasons :v:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Goofy lyrics are part of the charm if you ask me

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I also like ESL lyrics written in earnest about Dark Evil poo poo that end up with mind-boggling grammar or just making no sense at all.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Fenrir posted:

I also like ESL lyrics written in earnest about Dark Evil poo poo that end up with mind-boggling grammar or just making no sense at all.

Oh, absolutely. Plus the bands that write really intelligent lyrics are great too. Cryptopsy lyrics are like deranged free-form poetry.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
My Grenouille tape came the other day. My wife is allergic to most perfumes and is really grossed out by stray human hair so she hates it more than the Recluse tape I have that's crusted with dried blood. The packaging on this thing is incredible though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I know the Botswana metal scene, and the band Overthrust in particular, have been mentioned in this topic before, but just today I discovered this nugget of info which is honestly cool as gently caress:

quote:

The band is supported by the national government, for example in organizing the small metal festival Overthrust Winter Mania which is a charity event for the local AIDS-campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VbJSHI5noE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh hell yes! King Diamond is finally coming back to North America.

...I have to miss it as I am getting married that week.