Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

feedmegin posted:

The persona being projected is of someone who is unspun, whatever the reality, was my take on it.

Fwiw Stalin was by far one of the more relatable 'everyman' characters amongst the Bolshevik leadership by comparison to his colleagues. If anything the propaganda made him out to be far less 'ordinary' than he really was. Unlike the selfless paragon of Uncle Joe, Koba was a man who loved to get steaming drunk, play dumb pranks, chase girls etc etc. He wasn't a nice guy but he was certainly the kind of geezer you'd recognise instantly down the pub only with max intrigue and in sole charge of a superpower autocracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm further to the east than those but definitely South Wales geographically!

I suspect you're part of Gwent police area: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwent_Police

Which, if the CLP's in the area didn't vote for an selection that would mean that you're current person, who I don't really know so I can't/won't judge them, is going to be the person going forward. They are Jeffrey Cuthbert (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Cuthbert)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I've got another week of 3am bat surveys and staying in various budget hotels woohoo

Travelodge only gives you 30m of free internet tho 😳

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh and I saw this while waiting for the changeover in Birmingham New Street and I've no idea what it is but I'm 90% sure it's late capitalism dot jpg and I do not like it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I suspect all the clamouring for Corbyn to step aside ASAP is so the LDs don’t end up with a pro-No Deal vote on their records which can be thrown back at them when they claim to be the ~Party of Remain~

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Oh loving God. It's a workpod.

You can lock yourself in there and tap away on your laptop like a good serf. Instead of doing what a normal person does and get a pint while waiting for your inevitably delayed, expensive, privatised train.

Thanks neoliberalism.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Honestly if it's free I'd go in there to read because it's comfortable and quiet.

(lol who am I kidding it won't be free)

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

quote:

August rainfall brings UK wheat harvest to ‘shuddering halt’

National Farmers’ Union says only farms in south-east England able to start harvest

August’s wet weather has brought this year’s wheat harvest to a “shuddering halt”, the deputy president of the National Farmers’ Union has said.

Guy Smith said farmers outside the south-east of England had been left unable start their harvest their crop because of heavy rainfall this month.

He said the wet weather had made it more difficult to use combine harvesters in the fields.“It has brought the harvest to a shuddering halt for the past 10 days, outside of the south-east,” he said.

“The good news is that yields seem to be above average, but the bad news is that the price is significantly on the slide, not helped because of a heavy harvest.”

Smith said farmers in the south-east had been able to begin their harvest earlier because of earlier hot weather, but that very little had been done in the west and north of England.

“We are not quite sure what the impact is yet,” he said.

Smith said 60% to 70% of the UK’s wheat is harvested between August and September.

UK farm sector having a banner year then. Be even better with a hard Brexit.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah I was worried by how rainy the past week or two have been. It's precisely the wrong time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kinda surprising that britain of all places hasn't figured out how 2 farm in rain.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ratjaculation posted:

I've got another week of 3am bat surveys and staying in various budget hotels woohoo

That's pretty bad form. I stay in budget hotels far too often for conferences and research trips and the like and the worst I ever stayed in was an Ibis Budget - fuckers didn't even provide a kettle!

Premier Inn was usually my preference if I could get a decent rate (which you usually can if you book early) because the rooms are real spacious and they have genuinely comfy as hell beds.

I recently discovered that the best thing to look for are serviced apartments. They're often the same price/cheaper than any hotel, and usually way more comfortable. I got one in Sheffield that has a full kitchen/living room and seperate bedroom with en suite for ~£80/night at short notice.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

namesake posted:

Still lolling at the idea of the national unity government expecting Corbyn to join the National Government but not lead it.
I think it's loving deluded of the Lib Dems (the party with what, 14 MPs?) to think they have any kind of right to tell Labour (247 mps) what to do, and even more amazingly, that the media seem to be going along with it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Kinda surprising that britain of all places hasn't figured out how 2 farm in rain.
Scythes work perfectly come rain or shine, in fact slightly damp grass or wheat is easier to scythe than dry.

I'd be more than happy to do my national harvesting service in August plus all the fried chicken boxes in the world won't save the ruling class when all workers have big blades on sticks.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

ThomasPaine posted:

That's pretty bad form. I stay in budget hotels far too often for conferences and research trips and the like and the worst I ever stayed in was an Ibis Budget - fuckers didn't even provide a kettle!

Premier Inn was usually my preference if I could get a decent rate (which you usually can if you book early) because the rooms are real spacious and they have genuinely comfy as hell beds.

I recently discovered that the best thing to look for are serviced apartments. They're often the same price/cheaper than any hotel, and usually way more comfortable. I got one in Sheffield that has a full kitchen/living room and seperate bedroom with en suite for ~£80/night at short notice.

Yeah Premier Inn is my preference for an easy one. Serviced apartments sound sweet. If it wasn't limited choice from 'supoorted hotels' I'd be rinsing them or the best places on AirBnB.

The current neighbouring food choices are a KFC and a Gregg's, both incompatible with a veg cornishman 😭

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Fwiw Stalin was by far one of the more relatable 'everyman' characters amongst the Bolshevik leadership by comparison to his colleagues. If anything the propaganda made him out to be far less 'ordinary' than he really was. Unlike the selfless paragon of Uncle Joe, Koba was a man who loved to get steaming drunk, play dumb pranks, chase girls etc etc. He wasn't a nice guy but he was certainly the kind of geezer you'd recognise instantly down the pub only with max intrigue and in sole charge of a superpower autocracy

If we're still going over the problems with the tweet, Stalin also wasn't an inexperienced outlier.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Praseodymi posted:

If we're still going over the problems with the tweet, Stalin also wasn't an inexperienced outlier.

Don't they mean Hitler?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Oh and I saw this while waiting for the changeover in Birmingham New Street and I've no idea what it is but I'm 90% sure it's late capitalism dot jpg and I do not like it.

https://www.myworkbooth.co.uk/

Guavanaut posted:

Scythes work perfectly come rain or shine, in fact slightly damp grass or wheat is easier to scythe than dry.

I'd be more than happy to do my national harvesting service in August plus all the fried chicken boxes in the world won't save the ruling class when all workers have big blades on sticks.

Well this is interesting. I thought the problem would be more to do with crops going mouldy but more to it than that.

https://southsaskfarmer.com/2014/09/04/why-is-rain-such-a-problem-at-harvest/

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 19, 2019

zhar
May 3, 2019

Ratjaculation posted:

One evening last week I had my window open and curtain closed in my bedroom, a bat climbed the curtain hung upside down for a while on the curtain rail then after a while flew off again. it was bizarre.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Come the revolution, melts will be confined to the work booths. And Salazar'd by continually feeding them important looking action required emails that do nothing. Click here to notify your MP!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well this is interesting. I thought the problem would be more to do with crops going mouldy but more to it than that.

https://southsaskfarmer.com/2014/09/04/why-is-rain-such-a-problem-at-harvest/
There's a lot of hill farms in the developing world that still use scythes not because they are backwards but because mechanized harvesters still kinda suck if you don't have flat terrain and a good idea of the weather. Apparently scything for hay/mowing is making a comeback in parts of Europe too, because mowers become a claggy mess with wet grass.

Crops becoming lower grade in unpredictable weather is a thing too, which will be fun over the coming decades.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Guavanaut posted:

If you do a bad business meeting you are gassed.

I also have images in my head of a big grabber magnet arm picking me up in my pod and slotting me into my appropriate train and off again at the other end.

Lol its 12quid for 15 minutes apparently. Also those ones are unnecessarily spacious, try this:

They are Seimically secure apparently. They dont fall over in an earthquake, although they might.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 19, 2019

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Ratjaculation posted:

Travelodge only gives you 30m of free internet tho

Masturbation intensifies

Someone tried to sell me these for our office on the premise of “but you can get three of these in your existing meeting room!” Yes mate as long as you don’t mind walking through the first two to get to the third, you could.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I'm really not sure how one can interpret government neutrality in the face of a referendum as anything but normal. I understand the UK does not have a culture of referenda that others do, but here in Ireland the government can, will, and has on several occasions, been neutral in a divisive referendum.

The most contemporary example of this is the recent referendum to repeal the 8th Amendment. Every party was divided on the issue, and it was only Sinn Fein who significantly whipped the party to support Repeal. The current government party, Fine Gael, remained officially neutral, as did the main opposition/confidence and supply party, Fianna Fail.

People on either side worked with overarching groups that aligned with their personal views. This is how divisive referenda should work, because certain issues transcend party politics.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

Lol sometimes I wish corbs was the terrifying super-tankie these guys want to convince themselves he is

https://twitter.com/GillianLazarus/status/1163450852310470656?s=19

Ignoring the madder parts of this to note that "inexperienced" Corbyn has been an MP since before I was born and I'm a greying hosed oval office.

The sheer Blairite-ness of the implications

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sanford posted:

Someone tried to sell me these for our office on the premise of “but you can get three of these in your existing meeting room!” Yes mate as long as you don’t mind walking through the first two to get to the third, you could.

Also you know one thing you can't do? Meet.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

UnquietDream posted:

Theoretically? Hold the police to account and implement/steer policy, for example one of the Plaid PCC's has supposedly started the (sorta) defacto decriminalisation of cannabis in North Wales: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/qvy4qd/this-is-de-facto-decriminalisation-welsh-police-chiefs-stance-on-weed

Can you give a brief rundown of Shahien for a South Wales UKMT audience? I voted for her already because of her WLG endorsement but her material was a bit triangulated to really excite me. South Wales Police need very thoroughly sorting out.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Vlex posted:

Don't they mean Hitler?

No because liberals are way more frightened of communists than they are fash

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Does anyone else feel like the Tories are gridding the hell out of the news lately? Every single day there's another photo of gurning face of Mr. Dickhead on the beeb.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

gurning face of Mr. Dickhead
You'll have to be more specific.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

You'll have to be more specific.

I was originally going to say Prime Dickhead but to be fair it's not always him.

e: First it was the 'collaborators', then the 'EU law termination order', then the 'gently caress you EU migrants' and today is some other poo poo from Johnson about no-deal or whatever.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 19, 2019

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/C4Press/status/1163052478054719495

At least after Brexit we'll finally get the Angry White Man's voice heard.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/C4Press/status/1163052478054719495

At least after Brexit we'll finally get the Angry White Man's voice heard.

I am desperately hoping it's a dark comedy ghostwritten by the monkey dust writers and they're playing it straight by selectively quoting dacre constantly

...and wikipedia tells me the writer died. Hope is a lie.

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 19, 2019

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Junior G-man posted:

Ken Clarke or Harriet Harman or The Hat Man are acceptable to the LibDems. Those are therefore the only acceptable choices because the LibDems are the kingmakers. Obviously.
hat man?

dunno why Starmer’s name hasn’t been floated seeing as how most everybody else's has.

as the caretaker PM is supposed to be only doing the one thing of arranging an Article 50 extension with the EU before parliament is dissolved, you could contrive a justification for the Brexit secretary being in place to do that while Corbyn’s otherwise engaged.
he’s been loyally in shadow cabinet long enough that he’s not a hate figure to the party left like Harman, but comes from a Blair era background so is popular with the liberal side. that looks like a compromise candidate to me.

mind you, he still doubt he’d get majority in parliament. same as nobody else would. we’re doomed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Cerv posted:

hat man?

dunno why Starmer’s name hasn’t been floated seeing as how most everybody else's has.

as the caretaker PM is supposed to be only doing the one thing of arranging an Article 50 extension with the EU before parliament is dissolved, you could contrive a justification for the Brexit secretary being in place to do that while Corbyn’s otherwise engaged.
he’s been loyally in shadow cabinet long enough that he’s not a hate figure to the party left like Harman, but comes from a Blair era background so is popular with the liberal side. that looks like a compromise candidate to me.

mind you, he still doubt he’d get majority in parliament. same as nobody else would. we’re doomed.

Letwin, presumably.

And probably because he's obviously pretty loyal to the current Labour ideology generally and Corbyn in particular, so they're not willing to suggest him.

Not to mention that they're not making reasonable suggestions, they're making stupid suggestions to make Corbyn's serious suggestion seem stupider by comparison, serious suggestions would defeat the object of the exercise.

Plus, yeah, there's zero chance of changing the parliamentary maths without a GE anyway.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Good news everyone! 'Strong Performance' at work is now worth a £1m/yr payrise

National Grid chief gets £1m pay rise for 'strong performance' posted:

Less than two weeks after Britain’s biggest blackout in a decade National Grid has revealed that it handed its chief executive a £1m pay rise over the last financial year to reward his “strong performance.”.

The company’s annual report, published on Monday, shows that John Pettigrew was paid £4.56m for the last financial year, up from £3.65m the year before, for delivering value to shareholders.

The pay-day windfall was revealed as National Grid prepares to publish an interim report on the 9 August blackout which left almost a million homes without electricity, and hundreds of thousands of people stranded in rush-hour travel disruption. The report is due to be released at 7am on Tuesday.

National Grid faces serious questions from the regulator and the government, but has topped up Pettigrew’s £944,000 salary with a bonus of the same size.

Pettigrew, 50, has also received a long-term bonus of almost £2.25m, which is almost £1m more than the £1.5m he was given last year. He also received £283,000 towards a pension and benefits in kind valued at £94,000.

National Grid’s remuneration committee said Pettigrew has “continued to deliver strong performance in his third year in the role” and delivered value to investors and shareholders.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Why has no one suggested the natural leader of a national unity government; Arlene Foster? The core DUP value is national unity, it's a perfect fit.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cerv posted:

hat man?

Hatman is Vince Cable I'd assume.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Doccykins posted:

Good news everyone! 'Strong Performance' at work is now worth a £1m/yr payrise

Delivering value to shareholders does not necessarily include keeping the lights on for customers gently caress's sake we need to reclaim the power industry to be publicly owned and free at point of use for the public.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

thespaceinvader posted:

Delivering value to shareholders does not necessarily include keeping the lights on for customers gently caress's sake we need to reclaim the power industry to be publicly owned and free at point of use for the public.

Power stations are a method for moving money from the poor to the rich with the inconvenient expectation of having to generate electricity attached

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

thespaceinvader posted:

You could heavily subsidise like China but you will most likely have to deal with people abusing it. Still probably worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

thespaceinvader posted:

Funny you should say that because