Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/nick_rhodes_nz/status/1164107386757320712?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Scikar posted:

Apparently they are legit, but they used some methodology tweaks, thread here from a YouGov guy explaining it: https://twitter.com/anthonyjwells/status/1164107051297050624

Honestly I've got some sympathy for pollsters on this kind of thing, to an extent there's feedback between poll results and popularity, there's a difference between what people say and what they actually think or do, and then like Survation in 2017 even when they're right they end up getting it wrong.

Polling to determine an "accurate" is always hard, even if you are doing it with the best of intentions, due to such decisions about methodological tweaks. And they cannot predict the future - how people respond to outcoming GE campaigns. Does that mean the brexit party voters have a weak base and will be easy for the tories to capture, or just people taking the poll are lazy enough to take a Tory option if a brexit party one isn't there but still would rather vote brexit?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rarity posted:

The only polls that matter are exit polls.

This really is the truth and you all should have learned this lesson from the previous GE. I mean come on, almost all of the polls beforehand were predicting an absolute thrashing of labour but we all know how that turned out.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzuKaTuk_lw

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It me, I'm the reply guy posting 10 tweets about how shipping containers that people live in have windows

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Some shipping container homes are pretty cool.

I'd be willing to bet that these aren't what homeless children are being stuffed in though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
One of the most fashionable places in York is the shipping container bar thingy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I'd be willing to bet that these aren't what homeless children are being stuffed in though.

Well maybe, if it belongs to a Tory MP

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Aphex- posted:

This really is the truth and you all should have learned this lesson from the previous GE. I mean come on, almost all of the polls beforehand were predicting an absolute thrashing of labour but we all know how that turned out.

I definitely wouldn't want to draw conclusions from one poll, or even take much beyond a very vague sense of trends from multiple polls, but I do think there's a danger of people here being way too blase about bad polling because of 2017. Yes, Labour did an amazing job in the campaign (which they still don't get credit for from the commentariat), but the context to any new election will be different. Labour managed, pretty successfully, to pivot the election discussion away from Brexit to heavily focused on domestic policy, which the Tories didn't seem to anticipate (e.g. the dementia tax). This time it's pretty clear that Johnson is already laying the ground work for a domestic policy platform come any election, big on tax cuts and spending giveaways. There's also the factor that Corbyn/McDonnell don't get the chance to be introduced to much of the electorate in the same way again and there's been an extra 2 years of utter nonsense being slung at them, with anti-semitism sticking in a way that nothing pre-2017 quite did.

That doesn't mean we need to panic or anything, but there's a real smugness about the idea that the 2017 bounce from bad polling to 40% is a trifle to achieve under any conditions at all.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
post ur map

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm being Mrs Dim this morning but I have to ask - what is an 'election grid'?
Professor Google was unable to assist.

Apologies for the late reply, but it was a Blair thing where they would release some pre-planned piece of news each day to dominate the news cycle, along with covering up expected bad news with announcements.

e: Or at least try to, but they did moderately well at it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 21, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/RaynerSkyNews/status/1164133074692726784?s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol wat

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
(Northern Powerhouse)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this is so cursed i think everyone needs to see it

https://twitter.com/inmybabyarmz/status/1164042360591773696?s=20

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jose posted:

https://twitter.com/inmybabyarmz/status/1164042360591773696?s=20

Thanks, I hate it :stonk:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Jose posted:

Thanks I have a lot of cancer now.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
that's real bad, OP.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

I watched the first five seconds without sound because I’m in work and I’m experience a creeping dread

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Junior G-man posted:

Thanks I have a lot of cancer now.

:rip:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/taxbeating/article-7376787/Self-employed-face-losing-homes-innocently-using-tax-loophole.html

Sorry for the Mail link, but I don’t get this at all. These people just didn’t pay any income tax for years or even decades and we’re meant to feel sorry for them? Why the gently caress are 150 MPs trying to get them some kind of special waiver?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Niric posted:

I definitely wouldn't want to draw conclusions from one poll, or even take much beyond a very vague sense of trends from multiple polls, but I do think there's a danger of people here being way too blase about bad polling because of 2017. Yes, Labour did an amazing job in the campaign (which they still don't get credit for from the commentariat), but the context to any new election will be different. Labour managed, pretty successfully, to pivot the election discussion away from Brexit to heavily focused on domestic policy, which the Tories didn't seem to anticipate (e.g. the dementia tax). This time it's pretty clear that Johnson is already laying the ground work for a domestic policy platform come any election, big on tax cuts and spending giveaways. There's also the factor that Corbyn/McDonnell don't get the chance to be introduced to much of the electorate in the same way again and there's been an extra 2 years of utter nonsense being slung at them, with anti-semitism sticking in a way that nothing pre-2017 quite did.

That doesn't mean we need to panic or anything, but there's a real smugness about the idea that the 2017 bounce from bad polling to 40% is a trifle to achieve under any conditions at all.

On the other hand, what the hell is the Tory message going to be? “Vote for us and we’ll immediately institute no deal, destroying the country!” That will be popular in the more insane parts of the country, but far from all. Are Tory MPs from Remain constituencies really going to run on that? An election campaign threatens to crack the Tories like an egg. They’ve completely abandoned the traditional (if bollocks) framing of the Conservatives as the party of stable economic sense, and made a party run by a “radical Marxist” look like the steady hand on the tiller.

Labour will be running a campaign made up of the popular positions of funding public services well and appropriately taxing the rich plus a very reasonable Brexit solution versus, almost literally, “DEHUMANISE AND FACE TO BLOODSHED”. Even the centrist commentariat is coming around to the realisation that the choice is between Corbyn and No Deal.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

peanut- posted:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/taxbeating/article-7376787/Self-employed-face-losing-homes-innocently-using-tax-loophole.html

Sorry for the Mail link, but I don’t get this at all. These people just didn’t pay any income tax for years or even decades and we’re meant to feel sorry for them? Why the gently caress are 150 MPs trying to get them some kind of special waiver?

Lol I think someone in this thread just advised jose to do this the other day?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

That poll is definitely a massive jump in a ~week from:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1161020956854358017?s=20

But apparently they didn't ask about the Brexit party at all:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1164112695882330112?s=20

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

As if I needed reasons to not watch The Simpsons.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I feel like my brain is melting from reading this insane screed

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1164141943665897473?s=19

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Aramoro posted:

I think the big issue out of that is not if you can fire them, but can you legally even employ them at that stage.

As a euro who is currently looking for work I should probably stop reading this thread, it's not good for my mental health.

Also why I get so much time to post lately.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 21, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Excuse me while I clutch my pearls.... Chief Inspector for Manchester City View

https://twitter.com/CherieButtle/status/1162766534344921097?s=20

In case she zaps it:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^^replies good :unsmith:

Uh I'm p sure sacking people on the basis of nationality is very loving illegal even after we leave the EU (assuming they're legally allowed to work in the UK)

gently caress I hate my country sometimes, I'm really sorry EU comrades :(

Tesseraction posted:

Cool he's found a way to simultaneously be massively pro-Israel and really loving antisemitic

Wonder how long until he starts encouraging American Jews to be more like Israeli Jews in terms of their residence status

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Comrade Fakename posted:

On the other hand, what the hell is the Tory message going to be? “Vote for us and we’ll immediately institute no deal, destroying the country!” That will be popular in the more insane parts of the country, but far from all. Are Tory MPs from Remain constituencies really going to run on that? An election campaign threatens to crack the Tories like an egg. They’ve completely abandoned the traditional (if bollocks) framing of the Conservatives as the party of stable economic sense, and made a party run by a “radical Marxist” look like the steady hand on the tiller.

Labour will be running a campaign made up of the popular positions of funding public services well and appropriately taxing the rich plus a very reasonable Brexit solution versus, almost literally, “DEHUMANISE AND FACE TO BLOODSHED”. Even the centrist commentariat is coming around to the realisation that the choice is between Corbyn and No Deal.

It's going to depend a lot on when the election is. If it's before 31st Oct (highly unlikely I'd guess) then the message will be something along the lines of "Fed up of Brexit? Boris will finish the job." If it's post-31st Oct, the message will be more like "Boris delivered Brexit as promised, now let him make Britain Great Again." I think you're being overly optimistic about the zeitgeist being the Tories have/will crash the economy; this isn't a Labour in 2010 situation where there's been a massive financial crash and 2 years for its effects to be felt by a broad cross section of society. Labour can't run on a equivalent platform to the Tories' 2010 devastatingly effective "Labour spent all the pounds" - a message that's clear, simple and plays into deeply embedded assumptions about each party (EDIT: and worked again, to ever better effect, in 2015). Something like "the Tories did a Brexit and now we're hosed" might be true, but I don't think it works in anything like the same way, and I don't think Labour are (or will be) viewed as a "steady hand" by many beyond current Labour voters.

That doesn't mean I think we're hosed come an election, but I'm very, very skeptical that the Tories are in as bad electoral shape and you're suggesting

Niric fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 21, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1164141943665897473?s=19

how about this one

https://twitter.com/SteveGuest/status/1163972607714242560

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Borrovan posted:

Uh I'm p sure sacking people on the basis of nationality is very loving illegal even after we leave the EU (assuming they're legally allowed to work in the UK)

Let's take a little bet on how long that lasts in the Glorious Reborn British Empire.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Borrovan posted:

Wonder how long until he starts encouraging American Jews to be more like Israeli Jews in terms of their residence status

he already tells american jews that their home is israel not the US

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

How the gently caress is this guy the favourite for the Dems candidacy?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The guardian in being loving poo poo shocker

https://twitter.com/Hadas_Gold/status/1164146488773136384?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

US FBPE brigade.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

quote != edit

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Rarity posted:

Everybody desperately wants to go back to the "normal" Obama years.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Junior G-man posted:

Let's take a little bet on how long that lasts in the Glorious Reborn British Empire.
Eh we can't change those laws as long as we're still in the Council of Europe

Junior G-man posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Borrovan posted:

Eh we can't change those laws as long as we're still in the Council of Europe

I don't think the CoE will do much to stop BoJo et al. if it came down to it ...