Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/LibDems/status/1164132713605095424
This is just sad, I seriously loving hope no media outlets refer to them as 'shadow ministers'.
Saddo cabinet.

e: E175 is gold, as a food additive, like in Goldschläger, like in "He's got a master plan. Yeah, he's gonna make a fortune, Panning gold out of a bottle of Goldschläger. Shot by shot by shot." Like in the Lib Dems.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Once you overcome the instinctive drive for self preservation it becomes a lot easier to do it again, yeah. Which is part, I think, of why it doesn't really go away, just out of prominence.

Yeah this. Once your brain has got to the point of seeing suicide as a possible option it is much easier to return to it, even when you are doing fine otherwise. Like, at the moment I don't want to die - I've managed to escape the situations that were making me suicidal, and I have things to look forward to, but it weirds me out how quickly my brain goes into 'it would be better if you were dead' mode.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The difference between the BBC and Guardian headlines right now are very telling.

BBC: Backstop alternative 'possible within 30 days' Boris Johnson welcomes apparent optimism from Angela Merkel as she suggests a solution could be found

Graun: Merkel gives Johnson 30 days to find solution to avoid no deal

When you actually read the BBC story, despite someone's heroic attempts to spin it as positive for Johnson it is, inevitably, basically what the Guardian's said; Merkel is getting fed up with Johnson's poo poo and said, in essence, "You want an alternative to the backstop? Then loving show us one that isn't a load of fantasy moonbeams and horseshit!"

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Vlex posted:

You can get houses dirt cheap outside of cities. Downside is, you're in the middle of nowhere.

real_estate.txt

For me, buying an apartment was a really good introduction to the most basic basics of supply and demand. For some reason this sizeable flat 40 minutes away from the city centre costs about half of a tiny studio flat 5 min from the centre? I mean, thinking about it, it's like the least surprising thing ever. How much can I charge for this flat that I'm selling, which is in the centre? Oh everyone wants to live in the centre it turns out. So I can charge a stupid of amount of money and it'll still sell. Am I gonna charge a load of money for it then? Of loving course I am. Why would I sell it for less than the maximum I can easily get?

Anyway, some people have said that we're ("we" as in pretty much everywhere urban) are not building enough homes. But I think building more homes is necessary but not sufficient for making living affordable for people. I'm pretty sure you also need proper social housing, i.e. publicly subsidised house-building with long-term (or "permanent") rental contracts on a not-for-profit basis. If you have a profit motive for all construction, then the profits of the rich cunts are just gonna drive the prices up for everyone.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

His current idea involves dry nitrogen gas, you have to answer affirmative to some questions and then there's a 'gently caress this' button that calls the whole thing off that you can push when you actually hear the gas.

It's that delay between committing to the idea and it being fatal (or very unpleasant) that you don't get with a firearm.

See also, why paracetamol comes in small boxes of blister packs, instead of big tubs. Which apparently works, even though "you could just go to 5 shops and then pop all the pills out of the packs".

I may have learned that in this thread actually.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobstar posted:

See also, why paracetamol comes in small boxes of blister packs, instead of big tubs. Which apparently works, even though "you could just go to 5 shops and then pop all the pills out of the packs".

Not in the States, which is why I always bring pack 500ct tubs of ibuprofen from holidays. Delicious ibuprofen`

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not in the States, which is why I always bring pack 500ct tubs of ibuprofen from holidays. Delicious ibuprofen`

Sweet, sweet methacarbamol. In 200s.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Bobstar posted:

My sister's been in internal medicine for a whole bunch of years now and occasionally sees people who do the paracetamol thing.

It's not a recommendation according to her. Lots of no-fun on the way out and God help you if you're rescued.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Junior G-man posted:

My sister's been in internal medicine for a whole bunch of years now and occasionally sees people who do the paracetamol thing.

It's not a recommendation according to her. Lots of no-fun on the way out and God help you if you're rescued.

It fucks your liver from what I've heard?

Also, I've just gotten the idea in place, but it's going to be a long scale plan, but one I can put into action quickly if necessary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FWIW I really do hope you don't find it necessary because the world would be diminished without your posting.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Yeah man, stick around and shitpost with us.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Josef bugman posted:

Also, I've just gotten the idea in place, but it's going to be a long scale plan, but one I can put into action quickly if necessary.

Yeah, I used to work with someone who was part-time while training to be a nurse and she mentioned in passing about time spent seeing people who'd OD'd on paracetamol. It's not just that it fucks your liver, it's agonising & slow. You're there in horrendous pain for 3 days or so, plenty of people regret what they did, it's horrific. Just don't.

Hope you don't do anything. You're a good dude.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Josef bugman posted:

Josef, if this is a new development since you were referred for therapy then please see your GP or contact the local IAPT team. They often have priority referrals for therapy, and I've been seen inside of 3 weeks once it got to the point of making plans.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Stop trying to kill yourselfs goons. This thread is sad enough as it is.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Tarnop posted:

Josef, if this is a new development since you were referred for therapy then please see your GP or contact the local IAPT team. They often have priority referrals for therapy, and I've been seen inside of 3 weeks once it got to the point of making plans.

Oh no this is a plan I've had for... well I think it works out at about 5 years now? I have no intention of acting on it whilst my mum and dad are still around and cogent enough to miss me, so I've got a good 20 years or so of shitposting left in me. But it is always best to have something ready and prepared for if the worst happens.

It's like how I've prepared some clothes and stuff to take with me if I ever need to leave and just not come back for a few weeks. Got some things prepared, you know.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like suicidality makes you kinda bad at giving advice on it because you, or at least I, can't convincingly tell people just not to, cos like, I can't even tell myself that, I don't know you, maybe you've got a better reason than me.

So I just hope it doesn't come to it.

Though that again still contradicts the conventional wisdom that suicide is inherently irrational.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think one of the biggest things we have as humans is a "why" to live.

I remember reading a book by Viktor Frankl, someone who survived the holocaust, saying that "Someone who has a why to live can bear almost any how". That is the biggest question I think we all have to grapple with and I am none too sure of the answers on it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Man's search for meaning I think.

Had it recommended to me a few times but never felt the impulse to read it.

Because obviously my why to live is the desolation of my enemies.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Because obviously my why to live is the desolation of my enemies.

I try not to have enemies, I have people I dislike and would punch but I feel bad whenever I think about punching folk. I think I am overcorrecting based on my early love for Warhammer and chopped off limbs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I try to have ethically valid enemies so marxism has really helped me with that :v:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I try to have ethically valid enemies so marxism has really helped me with that :v:

I like to hope that there is the chance for redemption for everyone, but I think we can draw the line at Nazi's. I looked at the folks bludgeoning SS guards to death with iron bars after the concentration camps were opened up and all I could think was "good".

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'll happily be y'alls enemies.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'll happily be y'alls enemies.

When the EU stops the food relief airdrops into the UK, all of you are fair game.
Just saying.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
You absolute wallys.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Josef bugman posted:

I like to hope that there is the chance for redemption for everyone, but I think we can draw the line at Nazi's. I looked at the folks bludgeoning SS guards to death with iron bars after the concentration camps were opened up and all I could think was "good".

that's the right thing to think, in case you were unsure

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

An aversion to antipathy is generally a good thing and I like to hope that it's the default state of humans, but in an environment of injustice I'm not sure that you can separate empathy from antipathy.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

It's worth reading.

Different topic:
I'm enjoying watching the tories getting a roasting over these "work to 75" kite flying ideas. Nice to see the boot on the other foot for a change given how labour 'think tank' ideas get presented as Corbyn wants to Tax Your garden or whatever it is when they're not even party policy.
Trying not to join in lest I get called out on it, but SOoooooooooo tempting.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 21, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

that's the right thing to think, in case you were unsure

I know, I just wish it weren't and there was something we could do.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like suicidality makes you kinda bad at giving advice on it because you, or at least I, can't convincingly tell people just not to, cos like, I can't even tell myself that, I don't know you, maybe you've got a better reason than me.
Eh on the one hand if somebody I know is feeling that way I can easily tell them all the things that make them awesome and detail all the ways they are loved and rebut all the self-hating thoughts they’re having

On the other hand if I read about somebody committing suicide a small part of me is inspired and thinks “good for you buddy, you made it out :unsmith:” which I realise is a Bad Dark Thought and thus I file it away in the big box of repressed feelings :waycool:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Just got back from Berlin which is an awesome city and so laid back.

Now I feel depressed coming back to this dire shithole. I don't usually get the holiday blues, but man, just coming back into this environment and hearing people talking about mortgages and Brexit on the Piccadilly just made me want to go back to Heathrow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the thread can get pretty grim at times.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's the only saving grace, to be fair.

That and my mountains of cheese and sausages.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/LibDems/status/1164132713605095424
This is just sad, I seriously loving hope no media outlets refer to them as 'shadow ministers'.

I find the ratio on that tweet extremely comforting.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Lib Dems are scum and need to be reminded as much.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Anyone else see that Max Clifford is trending and only found through that that he's been dead two years? Was it not reported? Did I just forget?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

BizarroAzrael posted:

Anyone else see that Max Clifford is trending and only found through that that he's been dead two years? Was it not reported? Did I just forget?

That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even nonce publicists may die.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Diet Crack posted:

Brexit on the Piccadilly

New Gilbert and Sullivan sounding good

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1164314396207788039?s=21

Kind of hoping that this will go as horribly wrong as it seems likely to.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

As a chronic depressive on benefits, the government probably wants me (well, me and all the people in the same position as me) to die because I cost them money. Therefore I have to stay alive as a form of rebellion.

I also suffer with anxiety and am afraid of a lot of things, including death and pain. Also, I know my mother would be devastated and I couldn't do that to her. But the other reason is slightly more entertaining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Flipswitch posted:

Lib Dems are scum and need to be reminded as much.

I've just spent too long trying to find a video of that 1981 David Steele speech "Go back to your constituencies and prepare for government" with no luck.

Found a transcript:

quote:

Our political situation is unique. Political parties normally seek to persuade the public to follow them. For the last few months the voice of the public as registered in the polls has been desperately pleading with our two political parties. Their message has been: ‘get together for our sakes.’ They know our country is at a low ebb. The years of mismanagement have destroyed confidence. Broken promises have bred cynicism. The taste of failure is sour and bitter. We don’t simply face an economic slump in Britain. What we have to deal with is more complex, a crisis of a whole society which has lost its way and turned in upon itself.

An Alliance which discards the envy and pettiness of the past, which stands for all the people and our hope for the future. This has been the dream that has sustained the Liberal Party for so many long weary years. Now at last we have the reality in our grasp. We must have the nerve and courage not to let it slip. I have the good fortune to be the first Liberal Leader for over half a century who is able to say to you at the end of our annual Assembly: go back to your constituencies and prepare for government.

http://www.britishpoliticalspeech.org/speech-archive.htm?speech=42

Deja vu all over again.