Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
"Exfoliate properly" indicates to me this person probably scrubs all their dead skin off with some sort of loofah or tool, so while it may be soapless that is pretty intensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Maybe they look like a harlequin baby.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I exfoliate with a belt sander, you loving pussies.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

This entire thread is proof that incels are full of bullshit. The most disgusting broken repulsive people are having relationships, getting married. Anyone can do it.

Here have another example.

Fiance [27M] complains I'm [25F] "thirsty" for movie stars, when I'm just desparate for him to take better care of himself.

quote:

My fiance and I have been together for a total of 4 years. When we first got together, we would go at it like rabbits. As time passed, I learned that he sometimes has bouts of what he calls ruts. I don't want to armchair psychologist him, but I strongly believe he has depression always and these ruts are just particularly bad weeks/months of his depression. Over the past 3 years, I think his depression has slightly worsened and his ruts have increased in length and severity. He denies that it's depression and is vehemently against seeking any kind of professional help.

This has led to him taking little to no care of his health or appearance. He's gained a good bit of weight, he eats terribly (and constantly suffers from the consequential heartburn and stomach issues), he doesn't groom his hair, and he regularly doesn't brush his teeth. Surprise surprise, he isn't as attractive to me anymore. I'm not a germaphobe, but I highly value cleanliness, I've made that very clear. But these aren't deal breakers, obviously I still said yes. I accept the depression, his unwillingness to treat it, and the subsequent lessening of attraction. Im honest though, I don't want to have sex with him nearly as much and I rarely "thirst" or pine for him. He knows this.

We are currently in the midst of probably his worst rut yet. It's a vicious cycle because the more down he is, the less sexually attractive he is to me, and that gets him even more down. Understandable, but that's just the reality of things, I can't and won't fake anything sexual to ease his mood.

We watch a lot of TV together. He has recently informed me that in the past couple of weeks (coinciding with this current rut), I've been making a lot of "thirsty" comments about attractive men in the TV shows we watch. Upon reflection, I think that's true. I will openly talk about how hot certain movie stars are, but he's right in that I've been particularly vocal recently. The obvious answer is I'm not thirsty for him, so I'm redirecting it at the TV.

He now thinks I have unreasonable expectations because I don't have movie star looks myself and it's unrealistic to want him to look like one. I totally agree, but that's so not what I'm thirsty about. The movie stars look fit, hygienic, and well groomed - that's hot! That's all he would need to do to get the same response from me.

I have tried to explain this to him, but he always shuts the conversation down. I get it, it hurts, and his mental health makes it very hard to solve his own problems. I would probably not want to talk about it either. So the problem is this: should I filter my conversations so that I avoid "thirsting" for whatever is on TV or anything like that, or should I not change anything just to placate him? Is it better to be harsh and honest or gentle and less open in this situation? I've never dealt with depression in any way before I really got to know my fiance, so I have no idea if it's a good idea to push or let them be.

Tl;dr: fiance thinks I am thirsty for movie stars, but really I just wish he took better care of himself, but at this point I just want to know if it's better to drop it

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

"Exfoliate properly" indicates to me this person probably scrubs all their dead skin off with some sort of loofah or tool, so while it may be soapless that is pretty intensive

Aren't loofahs/sponges riddled with bacteria?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
You need constant exposure to maintain a thick impermeable membrane of good-bad bacteria to fight off the bad-bad stinkolactobacterios.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
almost every 'you don't need soap/shampoo actually' thing is based in the same already kinda lovely study that basically said if you shampoo and scrub your hair super hard daily, or do a turbo scrub of your skin with high grade soap daily, you probably will damage your natural oils and all that could be not good. Then a bunch of gross people took it as 'no soap ever, got it, STINK TOWN HERE I COME'

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
replacing your natural pheromone musk with GIRLY FRUITY GLITTER SMELLS is the ultimate self-cuck. i leave a film on every seat I've ever touched. my decontamination team washes with lye and fire.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't shower as often as I should but I know that's bad and therefore, a la Socrates, I'm the cleanest person in the world.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
just lol if you dont smell of natural musk, old spice and gun oil

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Is Crossfit ruining my marriage?

quote:

Okay. It’s complicated, and I’ll try my best. And if any of y’all are crossfitters, I’m sorry.

So I (43F) and my husband (46M) have been together for almost 9 yrs and married for 1.5. When we first met he was already into fitness, as in he went to the gym 5-6 times a week, but he didn’t do CrossFit. About a year after we met he tried it out, and he really liked it, so he started going. I should also mention that I am not into fitness. Like at all. I like to walk (with or without my dog) hike, on the rare occasion take a bike ride, and do things outdoors (snorkel, swim, paddle), but I am not good with prescribed classes or exercising in a group with others, and I don’t like being shouted at and it seemed like this was what Crossfit (CF) was all about. CF very quickly became not just a working out place, but now it’s you must eat this, you must drink this, you must hang out with us etc. He loved it.

Time goes on and we make a crazy big international move (by choice). He wants to flex his CF muscles more and does so by first getting his L1 training (level one coach), coaching part time, then moving on to coaching full time, getting his L2 (level 2 coach) and then was a head coach at two different gyms while we were overseas. All fine, mostly, except for the part where CF always came first. Then it starts getting messy.

He has an (emotional) affair with a client. The whole “community” watched it happen. She went from being a member, to being a personal training client, to working out with the coaches, all so that she could have more time with him. Please don’t think I am blaming her here BTW (I mean I am, but only for her part, not his). They spend lots of time together, write messages to each other on FB first thing every day etc, and I know something was going on but didnt get the truth for a long time.

Anyway. Sadness, talks of break up, all kinds of things, culminating in intense therapy, a move away from that gym and to another, and eventually, we decide that we are going to stay together and return to the US. His CF job and my research job were just not making any money and our opportunities were better here. So we move back.

When we went overseas I gave up my green card so that we could live without worrying about coming back all the time (and the expense of that) but now that we are back in the States I’m the immigrant and he is the citizen, so my residency here is now dependent on him. This makes it feel like I’m trapped.

He came back first to establish some roots and get a job. Great. That’s good for everyone. Can’t really make it here on a CF coaching salary so he goes back to his old career and gets a job. Great. That’s good for everyone again. I come over, but can’t work (yet) until my new green card is approved so I basically wait it out for almost a year. It’s tough for both of us. He is working hard, so not much time for CF. It’s also hella expensive now that we aren’t flush like we used to be, so he coaches at a local gym once or twice a week so he can go and work out there for free. Totally fine, that’s his thing. But again, now I’m not participating enough with his “community” outside of the actual working out (which again, I do not do, and not in to). I have friends here so don’t feel much need to make more, happy to be social once in a while with that crew, but also know I’m not 27 anymore.

I really struggle with self esteem issues on all fronts, so very soon after CrossFit came into our lives, my husband turned into my “coach” (that I didn’t want or ask for). Didn’t I know that only Crossfit people are happy, healthy, successful people? Only Crossfit can save lives. And then it starts to extend beyond actual CrossFit. I don’t exercise enough. Don’t I know that Crossfit cures depression? Don’t I know that he is just trying to help and he’s worried about my health?

I can’t show him pictures of my mother, or my sister, without him commenting on their weight (look how fat she got! that’s so unhealthy). Please bear in mind that my sister just beat breast cancer and my father died 8 months ago, so they both have a lot going on. Then last night I made the mistake of complaining to him about a physical ailment. He says, I’ve been meaning to talk to you about this, but if you don’t change your life you will turn into your mother. You’re just lucky that you are naturally thin, and don’t have to deal with being fat on top of being unfit.

I shut down pretty much. I got so upset that he used my mother as an insult to somehow motivate me. I’m pretty emotionally blind when it comes to my mom so it really felt like an attack on both of us. Not his intention, but that’s how it felt. I ask how he would feel if I said the same about his mom, he says he already says that about his own mom so it does not bother him. What bothers him is that most of the people in his life that he loves the most dearly have this incredible resource available (him and Crossfit) and somehow we are all failing to take advantage of it. When I tell him that in my specific case (can’t speak for theirs) it’s bc I obv have baggage with Crossfit already, I really hate it when people tell me what to do, and I especially hate being made to feel less than bc I don’t exercise, eat, or participate in the “community” like he does or they do.

It’s like everyone in the world who does CrossFit gets a pass, and must automatically be an amazing person. I have yet to experience one single box that doesn’t have major drama. That doesn’t have an owner or a coach that is cheating in plain sight, or simply being a womanizer. It turns me off. Not to say all workplaces dont have some element of that, but that’s bc you find all kinds of people in all kinds of places, however, it’s somehow overlooked or excused at Crossfit bc only the best end up at CrossFit, right?

There is no indication that his obsession with CF is going to scale back, ever. After our intense disagreement last night he said it seemed like we were moving in opposite directions in life. He’s going to be fit and healthy and live forever, and me and the rest of the plebs are going to steal decades away from ourselves and our loved ones, and live in pain and misery (and deserve it!) if we don’t see the light.

I’m tired of being sad and confused. I am so unhappy. I am mourning the loss of my father. I am broke. It took me more than a year to get a job (I have a masters degree but will work anywhere) and even now it’s just part time so I had to get two. I cannot support myself on them. I have debt (5k). I do not have a vehicle. I feel trapped and hopeless. I often just feel like I want to die. I can’t make good decisions bc I feel like I’m crazy. I mean really, thinking of breaking up over Crossfit?

What’s really going on here and what the gently caress am I going to do?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
WIBTA if I confess to my "prohibited crush" in order to move on

quote:

So a little background here, I am a F (21) and I am dating this amazing person M (24) and we have a not so traditional relationship. This relationship is 4 years old and our parents are aware and in our parent's eyes we are pretty much married already. He is an amazing person, we never hide anything from each other.

We do give each other space but the thing is we tell each other lots. For example if I have a crush on a cute guy I cannot wait tell I tell him everything and we judge that guy together. Like best buddies and all. So he is obviously aware of this crush I have and he is laughing off the fact that i have a crush on that person, given the fact that this person is much older and if fact a lecturer of mine.

I am a poet (not that great) but I kept setting poems to this lecturer and just throwing it to the trash when my friend told me to collect them and make a book so that we can give it to him on the day of the graduation. (So after that I will probably never see him again). Now here comes the tricky part not only he is much elder but he is also married and has two children (twins of the age 6). The feeling I hold towards him is not sexual or relationship manner but something more simple. Like I admire him, find him cute etc. etc.

The lecturer's cousin is another lecturer who teaches us and she knows this thing and she has even read my poems (without my knowledge) .So I started liking this lecturer last year march (2018) and now it's August (2019) This is where things start getting mixed so all above happen last year and this year now, the lecturer whom I have a crush on strated ignoring me. This actually did hit me harder than it should.

I felt bad, isolated and even self conscious. I was soo caught up in the fact that he ignored me that I even got sick. This ignoring and his other behaviour makes me want to forget him so much but I can't, trust me I tried. So my friends and we all got together and they decided, for me to meet him, tell him that I like him, and to tell him that "I am only telling this so that I can forget this and move on" and move on (and that on graduation to give the book).

Now this got my nerves wracking, it's true after he started ignoring me I wasn't able to focus on anything and I was really upset yet idk what to do. My boyfriend just asks me to figure it out and that he doesn't want to get involved and he doesn't see that I love him in a relationship manner so even if I continue to like him the way I do, he doesn't care.

So my dear redditors, WIBTA if i confess before graduation to get it off my mind?

Edit : since somebody asked, he is a visiting lecturer, and works as a DBA in his normal job. He visits once a week.
Get a real hobby.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Beachcomber posted:

Initially I thought that might be the case, but multiple medical professionals have assured me that I don't smell.

im sure

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
when do we move past the psychotic-odd-couple?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for not wanting to give my parents my sperm?

quote:

Couldn’t find a better way to put it. My parents are the really paranoid type, and if they want me to do something they will make me do it and I have no say in it.

So I’m 19 and I was diagnosed with varicoceles when I was younger, for those who don’t know, having varicoceles means there is a chance of infertility. Yesterday my parents tricked me into going to a urologist’s office so I wasn’t mentally prepared for what was going to happen. Basically the weirdest experience of my whole life, he had me take my pants off and barehanded play with my balls. And to top it off he shook hands with my dad after he was done, I still haven’t told him about that yet.

To keep it short, the doctor said I was fine but just to make sure he wanted a sample of my sperm for semen analysis. Now my parents have been trying to convince me to cum inside the container and I just told them to gently caress off because that’s just loving weird. They’re pissed off with me now and think I’m careless and entitled. They’re extremely worried thinking that I might become infertile and I’m doing it to myself. I read about varicoceles online and I don’t have any of the severe symptoms, honestly I didn’t know I had them until yesterday. So I’m not going to masturbate inside that container for anyone.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My wife threatens divorce over Nutella

quote:

My Wife and I work together and we run a small supermarket, the other day a provider comes in and offer his array of products, and he said the best selling one is a jar of Chocolate similar to Nutella, at a much cheaper price, which is great for the venezuelan market. I let my wife talked to the provider and in the end he gave her a jar of this nutella-like product for free as a tester for us, the weird thing about this is that he's an ugly old dude and I think my wife was too engaged when talking to him. To make the story short, while working I ate a little bit more than half of the thing, I suffer from anxiety and I cope with candy and chocolate. Once we get home she started screaming at me, 'YOU ATE EVERYTHING!!', it really took me off-guard as I was not expecting that reaction, even though there was enough to spread it to at least 6 loaves of bread. I quickly apologize and told her that once the first batch got to us the next day I would get two for us, that she didn't need to worry. Then she said, that's why we are going to be separated, you only think about yourself. When she said that it really angered me, not because I fear divorce but because it was a lovely thing to say over something so trivial, I constantly pampering her with our limited resources, I take her abroad and to fancy restaurants twice a week, regular shopping sprees. Something really cold and heavy took over my stomach when she said that, it was so petty and trivial, and she had the nerves of telling me that it was a gift for her and not me. She didn't come to work with me today.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Straight White Shark posted:

Wait so he overate the Nutella the tester brought because he was absent-mindedly fearful that his wife wanted to gently caress the ugly tester?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Yes. I didn’t read any of this

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ_a8VXhiSc

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

answer: yes

quit while you're still more than 4 ft tall

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Girlfriend's father's attorney asked her to marry him

quote:

This guy is nuts and twice her age, 70+. My girl's father's attorney met my gf 2 months ago. He has been hounding her for a date. Everytime she has said, "no, I have a boyfriend kindly leave me alone," approximately. He used his secretary to befriend my gf to get info from her. This past week he followed her to a convention in Las Vegas and met her at the gate when she arrived. He asked her to have a beer with him because he had to talk to her. Then he asked her to marry him, at a bar in the airport...She told him he was nuts then left for her Airbnb. Since then he has been texting and running into her (fortuitously) at the convention. Her father won't fire the guy because he's in the middle of his divorce and stressed the gently caress out. Anyway, isn't there some sort of lawyer moral/professional code you guys adhere to? Attorney guy won't leave her alone and it's freaking her out. Can she get a restraining order?

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

From a teenager who refuses to nut to a marriage destroyed by nut. Sad.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
At least real cults give you acid. CF just gives you acidosis.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

At least real cults give you acid. CF just gives you acidosis.

With a side of Rhabdo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pinecone Sample posted:

lol

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Convince him to train harder so he can get that Crossfit injury that destroys your muscles: rhabdomyolysis, or "Uncle Rabdo."

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Pinecone Sample posted:

One of those things where I can’t think of a specific rule of professional conduct this violates but cmon man

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

It’s like everyone in the world who does CrossFit gets a pass, and must automatically be an amazing person.
I assume she’s never once spoken with anybody except super-serious Crossfitters because literally nobody outside a gym believes this.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
My (f 28) husband (30) burned my clothes to "punish" me

quote:

I am just so angry right now and I have no idea how I can deal with this. I've been crying all day, I'm hurt he would do this to me and I lost so much of my things. My husband and I fought last night, and usually after we argue I apologize and it's over. But, I just couldn't let this one go and I went to bed angry and he didn't sleep in our bedroom. I was so exhausted from arguing, I slept in so when I woke up he had already left for work. I went outside to smoke and I saw that in the firepit he burned a lot of my lingerie, dresses, shoes, etc. Nothing could be salvaged, it was all ruined, but he didn't burn it to the point that I couldn't tell what it was. I just started sobbing. When I calmed down a little, I called him and asked him what the hell was he thinking and I was in tears. He told me, "good maybe now you will learn to respect me". I tried to tell him that this was too far and he said, "baby you needed to be punished, did you expect me to do nothing?". He told me that he would talk to me more about it when he got home and he hung up the phone. I am distraught, this bothers me deeply. I have no idea why he would think this was a good choice. I love my husband but I think this is insane. I don't know what I should be doing.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Fight man needs his own thread, gently caress that poo poo sucks.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Xik posted:

My (f 28) husband (30) burned my clothes to "punish" me

I think you should run ASAP :whitewater:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Power Khan posted:

I(F30) divorced my ex Husband (M36) because of my MIL(F60s) and suddenly he wants back in

So this got an update.

Update: I (F30) divorced my ex Husband (M36) because of my MIL(60s) and suddenly he wants back in

quote:

I just posted here yesterday but it feels like weeks have happened.

So I have just left my daughter with my mother and am going to my lawyer again.

I followed some advice you guys gave me and we sat down with my daughter to "chit chat".

We knew we couldn't promt any kind of responses my asking overly spesific questions as per her therapist.

So my mother asks my daughter (Lets call her Cat)

"cat what do you and daddy talk about?"

And cat just listed many toddler things like she talks about kindergarten, games etc. When I was kind of relieved that that comment my ex made yesterday may just be a one of, came the big bomb.

"he also shows me pictures of houses and tells me I can have now 2 rooms with loads of stuff!!"

I ask if her dad is buying a new house.

Nope. Turns out that nut wants to take my daughter out of the country. He shows her pictures of beach houses and even bought her allready a bag so she can put her stuff inside it. Wich explains why so many of her clothes have gone missing.

At first I thought that my ex maybe hadn't told me yet because it hadn't come trough. But no he told my daughter to keep this as a secret because momy would get sad if she knew that daddy was going away.

So I am loving livid. And also sad because I will have to tell my daughter no. Once again I feel lost.

Which just reinforces my original opinion:

Xik posted:

Have your ex-husband and his mother killed. When your daughter is old enough she will understand.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Fight man needs to stay in the thread because it's a welcome break from the "meaningful discussion" for 10 pages that eventually results in multiple people being probated for being insane.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

She needs to talk to an immigration lawyer, Crossfit douche is going to divorce her or force her to sanction his affairs. Immigration lawyers deal will dissolving relationships all the time, surely.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for having Pity friend?

I met Taylor my first year of college when we were assigned as dorm roommates. Taylor and I are different. She’s shy and passive, I am more outgoing. Taylor really likes Disney and TV. In addition, I would describe Taylor as socially awkward.

Taylor became my shadow. With the exception of classes, she followed me around everywhere - the cafeteria, parties. At first I didn’t really mind, as I did not really know anybody at first.After a while, it began to get tedious. While socializing Taylor would be standing behind me, silent. Taylor only spoke up when a tv show or a movie was mentioned. Often Taylor’s contributions to a conversation or social outing fell flat on others and she would tend to get ignored.

Additionally, I was having a hard time adapting to sharing space with her. Her habits annoyed me, Disney music, loud eating, etc. I spent less time in our shared dorm room. I did all my studying in the library and I started going to the gym to escape her.Taylor noticed this. She started coming to the library with me. She asked to join me in the gym. I did not have the heart to say no.

One of my friends was also having troubles with her roommate. We made a plan to switch roommates.That night I went into my shared dorm room with Taylor, intending on sharing my desire to switch roommates.Taylor then shared with me how grateful she was for me, and how she appreciated that I included her. She shared how she was bullied in the past.

I felt guilty. Here she was having a great experience and making plans to switch rooms. I immediately put an end to the plans to switch rooms.I made an effort to be her friend. One of my friends suggested I share something personal with her to give us an opportunity to bond. I shared with her who I was romantically interested in.

About a week later the guy in question asked me out. I came to the dorm room all excited and I shared with Taylor the news. Her response was, “I had no idea! Why didn’t you tell me anything?” Here I went out of my way to include her and she did not remember who I wanted to date.

After the year was up I did not return to that school. Taylor would text me often, usually with movie facts. I usually ignored her, but again I felt really bad. Here she was texting me all the time, and I did not have to heart to completely ignore her.After Taylor finished school, she got a job near me. She would text me often to meet up. I never wanted to, but did anyway out of guilt.

It has now been several years. She is single and has 1 other friend.I continue to meet up with her about 6 times a year. We usually watch a movie. I never enjoy myself.

I have been thinking about our friendship a lot lately. I can’t help but feel like I’m only friends with her because I feel bad for her (lack of social skills, history of bullying), and now out of obligation because it has been so long since we met.

AITA?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not letting my wife buy things with words on them?

Obviously some context and examples are needed, but I generally dislike things that have a message written on them and have told my wife I don't want things like that in the house. For example: 'Live Laugh Love' or 'Keep Calm and...' are super tacky, in my opinion, and have no place in a house. I think that if you're going to hang something on the wall it needs to be something meaningful, but abstract enough that other people can find their own meaning in it. Also, I think they're incredibly lazy decorating, you're basically saying 'I am not worth finding something I actually like, I'm fine with a $20 sticker! Maybe the only thing I need to turn my life around is a 4'x8' sticker that tells me "YOU ARE SO LOVED"".

I've also extended the rule to the clothes my toddler wears (everyone knows that I'm not putting on a shirt with words on it). And my wife will occasionally show me clothes with generic phrases like 'future heart breaker' or 'daddy's source of constant frustration' written in generic typeface. I'll veto, and she will complain a little, but in general understands my point of view. Basically, I don't want my kid to be used as a billboard for either companies or lovely hot takes. On the plus side, I have a ton of photos where I won't have to explain some stupid meme to my kid when she grows up ("You see, there was this thing called 'The Chive' back before you were born..."). When the kid is older they can decide what they want to wear, but until they're a little older I don't want my kid in it.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for not being flexible on this? It's gotten to the point where we go to people's homes and she'll point out every example of words she sees in people's decor and poke fun at me. But yes, I am inflexible on this rule, if she wants to build an 'Eat Pray Love' nest (the basic girl version of a neckbeard nest), then she can put that stuff in her office.]

Edit- The things on the walls don't have to be abstract. Most of the stuff on our walls are photographs or prints of horses or birds. I don't care what she chooses to put on the walls, the only thing I care about is that it isn't a giant word. I'm not unilaterally deciding what goes on the walls, but have a criteria, as does my wife who vetos a lot of what I want to put up too. For example, she won't let me hang up old maps anywhere but my office because 'You're not a sea captain'.

Edit 2 - I see that using the word 'let' and rules were poor choices on my part I'll work on that in the future (sincerely thank you for pointing it out). For the record, my wife can buy whatever she wants and wear whatever she wants (that took a weird turn). I honestly don't see myself as a Martinet (but that's what all control freaks say), but I'll introspect on that.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

lol I don't care if that guy is a controlling rear end in a top hat he's 100% right about not wanting his daughter to have a DON'T MESS WITH ME MY DAD IS A WELDER WHO WAS BORN IN DECEMBER baby blanket

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Baronjutter posted:

This entire thread is proof that incels are full of bullshit. The most disgusting broken repulsive people are having relationships, getting married. Anyone can do it.

this should be in the op and also the permanent thread title.

Chomp8645 posted:

Why do people here just start wringing their hands about incels apropos of nothing, responding to stories with no relation?

It reminds me of my conservative dad. You know, the kind who will respond to any story on this earth by shoehorning in a comment about "LIBERALS!!!"

It's kinda weird man.

another one for the volcano boys.

snergle fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 22, 2019

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Chomp8645 posted:

Why do people here just start wringing their hands about incels apropos of nothing, responding to stories with no relation?

It reminds me of my conservative dad. You know, the kind who will respond to any story on this earth by shoehorning in a comment about "LIBERALS!!!"

It's kinda weird man.

people talk about incels in this thread because they are browsing reddit to find these posts, and large reddit boards will generally have a lot of incels. especially ones that have to do with relationships, such as the ones read here. they're common features of comments in these things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tato posted:

Fight man needs to stay in the thread because it's a welcome break from the "meaningful discussion" for 10 pages that eventually results in multiple people being probated for being insane.

I agree with this.

People go on page long tirades about mayo and pasta salads but fight man is the problem?? Lmao

Smirking_Serpent posted:

lol I don't care if that guy is a controlling rear end in a top hat he's 100% right about not wanting his daughter to have a DON'T MESS WITH ME MY DAD IS A WELDER WHO WAS BORN IN DECEMBER baby blanket

He also has a good point about the words on the walls lol.

He’s an rear end in a top hat but one with some valid points!