Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for getting mad about a weird incest joke my gf made about my parents?

OK I've been dating her for about 9 months. My parents live across the country from me and came to visit this past weekend and met her for the first time. We went out to dinner and she told my parents that they looked so much alike they could be siblings...which in my opinion they don't at all. They both just have glasses and are the same race (my GF is a different race than us) and that's it. Like their facial features look nothing alike. My parents laughed a bit but they definitely thought it was strange. GF decided to elaborate and said they must be like the Lannisters. My parents were unfamiliar with the reference so she decided to explain the incest twins to them. I was shocked but luckily the waiter came around right then so we were able to move on. My parents were definitely embarrassed and I felt embarrassed for them because like what the gently caress? She's never made weird jokes before so I was pretty taken aback.

My parents left last night (they were staying with me) and I told my GF that what she said was totally inappropriate to my parents and made them uncomfortable. She basically told me she was joking around because she was nervous to meet them (I'm her first BF so she's never done the whole meet the family thing) but said it wasn't a big deal and that I was taking it too seriously. AITA?

bahaha, holy poo poo

"You two are brother and sister, arentcha! I knew it, at least the product of your forbidden relationship didn't turn out too inbred to be sexy! He's a tiger in bed, a real beast. Haha, I'm just joshin' around, you people really all do look the same tho! Didja ever watch game of thrones?"

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

InediblePenguin posted:

you think there's a 1% chance it really is the woman's fault and she really did deserve to be Punished by her husband by having her shoes and clothes set on fire?

Some of these stories start in one direction, then you find out they killed a puppy or abandoned a toddler or something. Which is why it's obnoxious when the big precipitating event or other relevant background is made intentionally ambiguous.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 23, 2019

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I (46F) really want to make a drastic career change. My husband (48M) seems reluctant to talk about it.

quote:

Throwaway account because you never know.

My husband, who I'll call Henry, and I have been incredibly fortunate in our years together from a financial standpoint. He heads up a neurology department, and I am a thoracic surgeon. We met during residency when we worked at the same hospital years ago, and we bonded over a mutual love of science and healthcare. We have owned our house and two cars outright for some time, and we have no debts between us. We have money set aside for our two daughters, one 12 the other 14, to help them get started in life should they choose to go to college or trade school. To be frank, we spend a lot less than many with similar incomes. We are fortunate enough to be able to live entirely on my paycheck and essentially put his entire earnings away in savings. 

Despite the incredible peace of mind this financial stability affords, for nearly a decade now, though, I've been finding myself dreaming about going a different direction. Besides my family and patient care, one of my biggest passions in life is baking and cooking. In the past, I struggled with an eating disorder, and cooking and baking new and increasingly complex dishes and desserts was one of the ways that best let me relearn a healthy relationship with food. I use it as a way to bond with family-my husband and daughters enjoy baking with me a great deal. I love baking for friends and family, and when I learn that a friend or family member has an affinity for some particular finicky thing, it's my mission to find out how to make it to their taste so they can enjoy it. My MIL is the same way, she is from a different culture than me and one of the ways we first really became close was when my husband and I were dating and she taught me some of the traditional recipes she loves. 

I have often thought about taking a break from or leaving entirely my career as a surgeon and going back to school for a degree in pastry arts. My schedule is incredibly taxing, I'm currently writing this in my first full "weekend" off after twelve days on, and a more regular schedule would help me see my daughters and husband more. My husband's schedule, now that he is in administration, is a lot more regular, and this would help us be able to see our girls together, which has been a rarity lately. I could take up a part time job in healthcare that isn't so taxing while in school to ease the shock of going from two salaried positions supporting our family to one. I've spent some time searching, and to my surprise I found a very cheap local community college that offers a two year degree program in baking and pastry arts, and several positions that I fit the qualifications for that are more flexible. 

When I mentioned this to my husband, he didn't voice any objections but very little to say. This really surprised me, as it is unlike my husband to not have a lot to say about almost anything (one of the things I love about him is his chattiness, and our discussions), and we typically discuss things like this quite a bit, even smaller decisions. For example, when we were considering whether to help a family member financially who was going through a difficult time, or thinking of buying a piano, we asked my sister to take the girls to a movie and we set aside time to talk over the pros and cons over dinner. I suggested we do something similar with this, and he seemed a little awkward about it. I told him that I understood that even though we're incredibly lucky financially, this would put more pressure on him, and that this is a big departure from the direction my life has taken thus far. I told him I want to take these steps as a team if at all, and I don't want to do anything that makes him uncomfortable or uneasy. I would be quite willing to put off this dream until retirement. He insisted he wasn't worried about money or pressure, but seemed reticent to say much more. 

Frankly, I think that the biggest reason he is uncomfortable with this is a reason he doesn't really want to voice-that he would have a hard time explaining this change to friends and family, and perhaps a harder time stomaching the change in identity. Outside of our family, his career has been a single minded focus for him, and he takes a lot of pride in being a doctor-turned-administrator, married to a surgeon. His friends are similar. We went through something tangentially similar when we had the girls, suddenly we had a huge identity shift and it impacted him a lot more than it did me. We were never really at loggerheads over parenting, but to manage the adjustment we went to counseling and things improved a lot, our communication improved tremendously. He admitted in counseling that going from thinking of himself as "Henry, the neurologist," to "Henry, the dad," was one of this hardest things for him. I really admire the ambitious part of him, but I know that the prideful part of himself is something that embarrasses him a bit to talk about.

I really want to be able to make this change. I have had this dream for a while, and it would help lift the incredibly taxing work schedule I have from my and my family's shoulders. My husband seems very reluctant to talk about it. I'd rather talk this through with him, even if he has only negative things to say about this plan, even if he says it's crazy, but I don't really know how to communicate what I feel his objections may be because it may offend him. I apologize for the wall of text, and thank you to anyone who has gotten through it! Any advice reddit? 

TLDR; Husband and I are both in healthcare, but I dream of going back to school for baking and pastry making. Husband hasn't voiced any objections, but seems reluctant to talk about the subject. I have a guess about what his objections are, but don't want to broach that subject for fear of offending him, which I really do not want to do. I love him so much and he is my best friend. 

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pinecone Sample posted:

it would help lift the incredibly taxing work schedule I have from my and my family's shoulders.

Somebody doesn't know *poo poo* about (A) running a commercial kitchen and (B) the hours it takes to both produce product, do your marketing, and do deliveries.

Come back when you've researched your dreeeeeeam including the rate of failure of new bakeries.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Somebody doesn't know *poo poo* about (A) running a commercial kitchen and (B) the hours it takes to both produce product, do your marketing, and do deliveries.

Come back when you've researched your dreeeeeeam including the rate of failure of new bakeries.

I really want my weekends back, I'm going to culinary school

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Couldn't she start a side business out of her own kitchen if she really wanted to pursue this?

After the first 3 black forest cakes though maybe she'd realize how much work it is. That might inspire her to pursue or it might make her back off...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tato posted:

Fight man needs to stay in the thread because it's a welcome break from the "meaningful discussion" for 10 pages that eventually results in multiple people being probated for being insane.

Yeah, it just causes pages of people emptyposting how great fightman is or how he really needs to be in his own thread since this thread has nothing to do with him, it's very different.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pinecone Sample posted:

I (46F) really want to make a drastic career change. My husband (48M) seems reluctant to talk about it.

He seems reluctant because you are delusional as said above.

Just stay in your field and find a place that lets you work less or go per diem or some poo poo.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
i loved the time i spent cooking. i even moved across the country to further that career path. and i miss it a lot, even at its most stressful it was still creative and rewarding.

that being said, everyone i ever knew who loved to cook and opened their own place never cooked again. who has time? you got payroll and vendor relations and greeting guests and and and and.

a degree in pastry arts. jesus loving christ. hope you like unpaid, mandatory internships that result in you having exactly zero edge in getting hired over whoever doesn't show up to their test shift with blow all over their face and is willing to take a paycheck that is a fraction of what you expect

just take a year off and cook for people you love, that may actually be really satisfying to you! a surgeon should have more than enough self-direction to learn everything a 2-year program could possibly teach

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pinecone Sample posted:

I really want my weekends back, I'm going to culinary school

Every over the hill boomer wants their dream of their big successful restaurant where everyone falls over themselves to compliment them on the food and decor.

This is more "the art of being a pastry 'master' is my calling" but no less delusional.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pentyne posted:

Every over the hill boomer wants their dream of their big successful restaurant where everyone falls over themselves to compliment them on the food and decor.

This is more "the art of being a pastry 'master' is my calling" but no less delusional.

How many stupid rear end loving movies have this as the plot line too.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

With her age and savings, she would probably be paying people to do the heavy lifting. And if she can pull together some catering business from her doctor friends it might be workable. If it's even close to break-even the other doctor's salary can support the family and keep her afloat.

It's obviously a train wreck of a financial decision and she recognizes that, but if it makes her happier and they're solvent enough to swing it, why not?

https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Chief_of_Neurology/Salary

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

With her age and savings, she would probably be paying people to do the heavy lifting. And if she can pull together some catering business from her doctor friends it might be workable. If it's even close to break-even the other doctor's salary can support the family and keep her afloat.

It's obviously a train wreck of a financial decision and she recognizes that, but if it makes her happier and they're solvent enough to swing it, why not?

https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Chief_of_Neurology/Salary

as soon as she starts paying other people and looking for catering gigs she stops having time to bake, which is the thing she says she loves. a surgeon and a neurologist are almost certainly able to rebalance their finances and that is a perfectly fine decision to make. that's not the real hidden cost of turning a love of food into a business for her and I don't think she's realized that yet

and it can't be stressed enough that there is a major scam undercurrent to culinary arts programs. she should start out of her own kitchen for a very select set of customers and she really doesn't need a 2 year degree to do that. at least she's not thinking about C.I.A. or some other bs school

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

pentyne posted:

She should just take some time off and try out for a Food Network baking competition.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Wibta for asking coworker to stop joking about her multiple bereavements?

Sorry for any formatting issues, I'm a technophobe.

I've been at my job for about six months now, and I have a coworker who started a few weeks after me. Even though we've only been there a few months, since we started there she's lost 4 family members (an aunt, a cousin, two grandparents. Her cousin died a week ago). Understandably she's been quite affected by it. She says she doesn't feel like she can take time off because there's too much work to split between the rest of us, which I agree with - we wouldn't be able to cope.

The result of that is that we have to put up with her morbid sense of humour. For example, she had some chocolate in the office fridge and I didn't know it was hers, so I asked whose it was and she said "oh, that's my bereavement chocolate, it gets me through the day." When I asked her about her weekend plans, she said "probably a few funerals, a bit of mourning, maybe an impromptu phonecall to say someone else has kicked the bucket." Another time, she was making everyone coffee (I admit she usually ends up being the one to do this as no-one else makes it as nicely) and she said something like "of course, it should be you all making me coffee, seeing as I'm the one whose family are dropping like flies." She said it in a jokey way but it made me uncomfortable. I get that she needs to talk about this stuff and is probably trying to do it in the least depressing way but death is death and I don't see why we should all hear about it all the time.

It's worth saying that she's generally really nice and jokey and it's just that sometimes the jokes are too morbid. She isn't death 24-7. It just comes out every now and again and it's like... ok.

She's in bereavement counselling so wibta for asking her not to talk about death unless it's with her therapist?

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Straight White Shark posted:

I (f 26) always want my husband (28) to check the house for murderers before I come inside but he told me he’s not going to do it anymore.

Just wait until she finds out that her husband is statistically most likely to murder her.

The killer was in the house the whole time!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

"I have an irrational fear of being murdered" seems pretty rational.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Smirking_Serpent posted:

sorry my continual loss of loved ones makes you uncomfortable

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

HIJK posted:

Couldn't she start a side business out of her own kitchen if she really wanted to pursue this?

After the first 3 black forest cakes though maybe she'd realize how much work it is. That might inspire her to pursue or it might make her back off...
Yeah, this is really the best option here.

Baking/cooking well is absolutely a skill, but it’s not a career with a high barrier to entry - there’s nothing stopping you from going to the grocery store right now, getting ingredients, and baking several cakes for your local PTA bake sale or to sell to friends/family/coworkers or whatever.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I've been at my job for about six months now, and I have a coworker who started a few weeks after me. Even though we've only been there a few months, since we started there she's lost 4 family members (an aunt, a cousin, two grandparents. Her cousin died a week ago.
YTA, because holy poo poo that’s a lot to handle in less than six months. If bad jokes are helping her cope with basically living the plot of a Final Destination movie, then you just nod and go with it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Cripes, those jokes are really mild. I could understand being uncomfortable if someone else in the office was dealing with recent bereavement, but if it's just her dealing with it and she's otherwise pleasant, let her have her little stress release.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

How do I [31F] motivate my partner [32M] to find another job or change his terrible work ethic. He’s on thin ice with his manager.

I am so frustrated by my partner's lovely work ethic. We are both in our early 30s, living together and sharing expenses. We are also saving for a trip this upcoming summer, which will not be cheap. ​ My Issue is that my partner (m32) will take any excuse to skip work. Anything. We both caught a cold this week, he missed 3 shifts. It wasn't that bad, i made it to all my shifts. In fact, i had to work because we couldn't afford to lose the income if I had stayed home as well.

He will skip out on work if hes tired, has a stomach ache or has a runny nose. I should add that he does not work a stressful job, at all. He does not struggle with depression or anxiety ​ I am getting sick of picking up the slack because hes "sick". We both have a cold, yet i worked my 9 hour day and did the housework and grocery shopping. He sat and played video games all day.

​ Any attempt to start a communication with him about this is met with defensiveness. I am called a nag because i want him to go to work when hes "sick" or tired. I am tired of being the only one who works hard in our home. ​

Maybe this is more of a rant, but i am feeling almost ready to pack my bags here. ​ He called out this past Sunday and when I asked him his reasoning he just smiled and told me he stayed up too late playing video games and told me they threatened to write him up for reliability at work because he has called out/been late too many times in the past few months. They said he’s showing a trend for not being at work

TL;DR: My partner is lazy and will take a day off at the slightest sniffle, or any sign that he’s tired this means i have to work harder to make ends meet. This goes for household chores as well. I cant seem to get through to him that his poor work ethic is making my life more difficult. Any suggestions would be appreciated, as I feel ready to end the relationship

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When I studied for my current career like 1/3rd of the class were chefs trying to escape the hell that is hospitality/catering.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

MagusofStars posted:

Yeah, this is really the best option here.

Baking/cooking well is absolutely a skill, but it’s not a career with a high barrier to entry - there’s nothing stopping you from going to the grocery store right now, getting ingredients, and baking several cakes for your local PTA bake sale or to sell to friends/family/coworkers or whatever.

It would give her the experience of actually running a business, selling food off before it goes bad, handling money, and she can slowly expand her client base. Going to school for some things makes sense but she's not talking about attending Italian cooking schools to learn Proper Italian Cooking and become a certified master chef or something. Maybe her career is giving her an inflated sense of proportion but these things need to go slowly when you're starting what is essentially your own business... that's where the community bake sales and stuff really comes in handy.

Heck.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

My relatives died and that's sad, but I'm going to get all the attention I possibly can from it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

How do I [31F] motivate my partner [32M] to find another job or change his terrible work ethic. He’s on thin ice with his manager.

Just cut your losses and get the gently caress out. He will go back to living with his parents in their basement and be their problem.

That poo poo ain’t gonna fix it self.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MagusofStars posted:

YTA, because holy poo poo that’s a lot to handle in less than six months. If bad jokes are helping her cope with basically living the plot of a Final Destination movie, then you just nod and go with it.

My dad died last November. One of my cousins couldn't make it because one of his girlfriend's parents had died that weekend. Another cousin went to a funeral in Idaho in the morning and then drove over to Oregon (and not the near part) for our memorial service that evening. Two months later yet another cousin's husband lost his mother.

It was not a good winter to be anywhere near our family. Fortunately we share the same dark sense of humor.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Smirking_Serpent posted:

So this dude definitely has undiagnosed depression, right? This is freakin' textbook.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Pastry thoracic surgeon lady should do it. My cousin and her husband were both dentists, shared a practice, worked all the time and they died in a plane crash leaving their 3 kids who were basically raised by a nanny behind. I'm not really making a clear point here but both parents doing the intense doctor thing is tough and if it's going to give her fulfillment and let her see her kids and maybe not die in a fiery terror then that's good.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Antivehicular posted:

So this dude definitely has undiagnosed depression, right? This is freakin' textbook.

There are a hell of a lot of men (mostly men, some women) on r/relationships who have decided that they just don't like the work world and their girlfriends will support them if they are good enough at repeatedly losing jobs.

No, working full-time as a pastry chef or a baker is *not* going to give her more time with her children. She says in the comments that she doesn't want to start a business. That means she will be working standard restaurant/bakery hours, which start long before the children are up and may, depending, stretch on until they're in bed. OP doesn't seem to have any understanding of how production kitchen work actually goes.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There are a hell of a lot of men (mostly men, some women) on r/relationships who have decided that they just don't like the work world and their girlfriends will support them if they are good enough at repeatedly losing jobs.

Yeah, I posted that and then realized there are plenty of people like this without mental illness involved. I still sincerely suspect a lot of "my SO doesn't have depression but is poo poo at sex/work/hygiene/anything besides sleeping and the most basic dopamine-producing activities" posts have undiagnosed depression at their heart, though.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Antivehicular posted:

Maybe. It's hard to tell through the internet, and even harder to gauge through the eyes of a second person describing one set of actions. Maybe he just really hates that job and wants to milk it until he gets fired, maybe something has happened at work that make him want to avoid it, maybe he really is just lazy and irresponsible, maybe he has depression or maybe some other mental issues, maybe there's something physically wrong and those small illnesses take a larger toll than she can see, maybe...

There's no indication of whether he was like this before, no indication of how it affects the rest of his life besides not doing the household chores which maybe he was never doing anyway. She says "I should add that he does not work a stressful job, at all. He does not struggle with depression or anxiety" which means either we accept that she has good perception of the situation, in which case it must be something else, or she doesn't in which case a lot of what she describes is filtered through her own judgement of severity.

Whenever people say things like "Any attempt to start a communication with him about this is met with defensiveness." I'd really love to be a fly on the wall because there are many defensive people in denial who will avoid any negative thoughts and any discussion around them and there are also many people whose attempts to start a communication consist of asking pointed loaded questions to which the only reasonable responses are full acquiescence or defensiveness, because even if the person on the receiving end is receptive to a real conversation the person asking isn't.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

white people dont get to say poo poo about looking the same when there's exactly TWO types of white person and they're either named CHRIS or JOHSSSSSH

I was actually thinking maybe the parents are white and just both happen to be blonde or something but the girlfriend’s from a largely nonwhite place, but yeah, it’s more likely they’re Asian and she’s white and swears she’s not racist

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

white people dont get to say poo poo about looking the same when there's exactly TWO types of white person and they're either named CHRIS or JOHSSSSSH

i knew it! aidens arent white.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Honey, you won't believe it: I convinced the local manager of the Dunkin' Donuts to let me start a two year residency. I'll be working under the Attending Donut Specialist. It's unpaid, but the experience is invaluable.

Can you believe it? The Attendant is only 17. He must be a genius in the field.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr cumshitter, sir, I dont want to tell you again the balls for all sale only applies to the donut balls.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

It’s cool that professional woman’s midlife crises isn’t the normal divorce and sports cars and hookers but turning your life into a bad rom com setup plot

Wow she’s so smart and talented, but she just LOVES to BAKE

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Better than my midlife crisis where I joined a hardened battalion of PMC operators. Turns out you dont get dental benefits with that.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Woman buying donuts: Oh no. My water just broke.

Dr. Donuts: Sorry, not my thing anymore. Also, I let my malpractice insurance lapse so... I can't really get involved.

*24 hours later*

I refused to help a woman in labor at my donut shop because my doctor insurance lapsed. AITA?

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MagusofStars posted:

I assume she’s never once spoken with anybody except super-serious Crossfitters because literally nobody outside a gym believes this.

I read that and made that twisted Brittney Spears meme face in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Pinecone Sample posted:

When you've spent so much time and money working towards a specific goal/profession, and then realize it's not what you want, your brain kind of panics.

Before you know it you've concocted an elaborate fantasy that your true life's calling is professional baking because you like making muffins and brownies for people.

She could probably do with some therapy before she makes any rash decisions.