Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

fishing with the fam posted:

Pulled a personal best 345 lbs for 5 reps today on the deadlift. Hoping to hit 4 plates by the end of the year. Love deadlifting.

Deadlifting is life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Pulled a personal best 345 lbs for 5 reps today on the deadlift. Hoping to hit 4 plates by the end of the year. Love deadlifting.

4plates for 5 reps or a single? You probably have the single already

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I highly doubt I could jump 60 lbs for a single, but I've honestly never even tested my one rep max.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Well 345x5 on several different 1-rep max calculators put you somewhere between 388-402 (I'd lean more towards 390). I think you'd surprise yourself if you went for a heavy single soon. BTw if you haven't really tried out a grueling single rep above 95%+ you should probably try that a few times over the next couple months to get your body used that kind of nasty "I'm going to fail I'm going to fail I'm going to- holy poo poo I locked it out" effort

e- and I mean I don't know poo poo about proper growth and strength and everything, it's anecdotal. Worked for me last year physically and mentally. I did a lot of volume work but threw in heavy singles slowly working up towards my goal of 500. Plus some knee-high rack pulls with 500+ to get used to that weight.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

I highly doubt I could jump 60 lbs for a single, but I've honestly never even tested my one rep max.

Just load up a bar and pull it. Don't waste any energy "warming up" that's a conspiracy

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
My warmup is tying my shoelaces

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/ChessBlaster/status/1164631724036259840?s=20

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

its me

also why would you do this???

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I knew I should've run that by the patent office

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
when am i going to be allowed to have sex???

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

jeffery posted:

when am i going to be allowed to have sex???

When you can dickzooka a 90kg kettlebell 100 yards

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

that woman has more dick strength than i will ever have, much respect

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Went to the doctor recently because of some lower back pain and found out I have some degree of lumbar lordosis. How do you guys feel about using the trap bar to do lifts when experiencing mild back pain? Are deadlifts with the trap bar comparable to doing them with a barbell?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Went to the doctor recently because of some lower back pain and found out I have some degree of lumbar lordosis. How do you guys feel about using the trap bar to do lifts when experiencing mild back pain? Are deadlifts with the trap bar comparable to doing them with a barbell?

Yes and it’s fine.

Use the trap bar don’t gently caress with your back.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't understand fitness.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Also read this

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Out of curiosity I decided to do my working sets on DL double overhand with straps instead of mixed grip with chalk and oh my god it felt so much better. I even got some extra deadlift sets in because I was just having so much fun.

And not totally unrelated but I'm going in for the first of two lower spine surgeries tomorrow :v:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

Out of curiosity I decided to do my working sets on DL double overhand with straps instead of mixed grip with chalk and oh my god it felt so much better. I even got some extra deadlift sets in because I was just having so much fun.

And not totally unrelated but I'm going in for the first of two lower spine surgeries tomorrow :v:

Whoah, how much longer until you can deadlift again?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Speaking of surgery, anyone here get a vasectomy? I know I gotta be off my feet for two days after the procedure, but I forgot to ask how long before I could resume weightlifting.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Speaking of surgery, anyone here get a vasectomy? I know I gotta be off my feet for two days after the procedure, but I forgot to ask how long before I could resume weightlifting.

I’ve had both ( yes it’s dumb) its about a 5-7 days or so before you’ll want to.

Just depends on how it goes for you though. I know a few guys that it took a good 4 days before they were back walking normal where as for me I was up and walking around ok in two days easy.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Whoah, how much longer until you can deadlift again?

I think the doc is going to have me RDL basically right after the surgery to see if it worked :v:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
sweet, see what you can max

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Batterypowered7 posted:

I need to schedule mine as well

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bomb posted:

I need to schedule mine as well

Do it.

Actually you just had kids you definitely only want to do it when you know you won’t have to pick them up for a few days.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Batterypowered7 posted:

They told me no heavy weights for 2 weeks. I was back on my feet after just a day but it’s definitely better safe than sorry here.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Big Bizness posted:

I deal with this poo poo at my gym daily.

:same:

It's either this or people just not putting weights back at all, period. The gym I go to did some big upgrading & renovation last year so a lot of new equipment & extra plates, but people can't be bothered to put anything back on the racks where they got it. Drives me crazy & I always try to pick stuff up to put it back where it belongs & rearrange plates where they're supposed to go, even if I'm not the lazy gently caress-up that left them lying around.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

BOOTY-ADE posted:

:same:

It's either this or people just not putting weights back at all, period. The gym I go to did some big upgrading & renovation last year so a lot of new equipment & extra plates, but people can't be bothered to put anything back on the racks where they got it. Drives me crazy & I always try to pick stuff up to put it back where it belongs & rearrange plates where they're supposed to go, even if I'm not the lazy gently caress-up that left them lying around.

An old dude next to me left a wood box and one of those heel lift things with a stretching band at the mirror and I almost said something

People are really lazy

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

bomb posted:

and I almost said something

hero

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

bomb posted:

Let it heal up and start at a lower squat weight and get your form down? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah I was trying really hard to get my form right! Got a personal trainer, posted videos and all that poo poo! I think it's just a weakness, that knee hasn't felt great from driving in stop and go traffic for years with a manual clutch.

barkbell posted:

Does it hurt it you sit in a chair and extend your leg out in front of you? If not maybe do some light leg extensions. Honestly if it’s injured and you cannot perform some movement then just don’t do that movement until you are healed. poo poo happens. Don’t injure yourself further.

No, thank goodness. Taking ibuprofen and icing it. Did some cardio yesteday followed by about an hour of walking and only just by the end was my knee hurting. I think a bit of rest for a couple of days followed by light isolation exercises or something will help. If it gets worse I'll go to a PT.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I’ve had enough gym drama this month

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I finally pulled 425 on my DL today and I think it’s time for a belt I’ve put it off for a while but does anyone have a good recommendation for one? An amazon link would be awesome but I’m up for anything.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Inzer makes good belts. By the time mine wears out I'll probably be old enough that I wont be lifting really heavy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Constipated posted:

Inzer makes good belts. By the time mine wears out I'll probably be old enough that I wont be lifting really heavy.

Yeah I think that’s what I’m gonna order.

I’m kinda leaning towards the Medium 13mm since I feel like with my poo poo back I need the most support.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I use a strength shop belt but I think they might be a UK thing? Also non-animal leather in case you give a poo poo about that

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

How far do you sit back on deadlifts? I think I'm lifting with too much back and I can lift more with better form if I used my legs more. But when I try to sit back so I can start the lift by pushing with my legs I kind of lose my balance a bit and have to stop myself from toppling backwards a bit

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

UnfurledSails posted:

How far do you sit back on deadlifts? I think I'm lifting with too much back and I can lift more with better form if I used my legs more. But when I try to sit back so I can start the lift by pushing with my legs I kind of lose my balance a bit and have to stop myself from toppling backwards a bit

Thrall's being a bit dramatic here but I pretty much do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYREQkVtvEc&t=192s

Try filming yourself next time, it can help with figuring out what's going on. If you want you can post it here too, if you want some extra eyeballs on it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

How tall are you guys and what's your body weight? 425lb is like triple my body weight and it's hard for me to imagine ever deadlifting that much. Right now I can do maybe five squats at 225lb and I haven't attempted to deadlift that much out of fear of tweaking my back.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 24, 2019

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Batterypowered7 posted:

How tall are you guys and what's your body weight? 425lb is like triple my body weight and it's hard for me to imagine ever deadlifting that much. Right now I can do maybe five squats at 225lb and I haven't attempted to deadlift that much out of fear of tweaking my back.

Of course you can’t imagine deadlifting that much, you don’t even deadlift lol

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Time posted:

Of course you can’t imagine deadlifting that much, you don’t even deadlift lol

Well now this is just rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

ovenboy posted:

Thrall's being a bit dramatic here but I pretty much do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYREQkVtvEc&t=192s

Try filming yourself next time, it can help with figuring out what's going on. If you want you can post it here too, if you want some extra eyeballs on it.

Here's the 415x2 I did yesterday, though it's filmed from the front:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkSrZh-ZmXw

You still get an idea about where my hips are though

And here's my 425 current 1RM, from a better angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYU8fwWORZc

My hips look a bit high to me here, and I felt like I was using my back a lot in that lift

I'll go for 425x2 next week, I'll film it from the side next.

The Thrall video says "don't sit back" which is what I do, but I think I might need to consciously put my rear end down a bit before starting the pull

Batterypowered7 posted:

I'm 5'8" and 170 when I pulled 425 for the first time. My deadlift shot up immediately once I stopped fearing about tweaking my back. My back rounds a bit during max lifts (as you can see from the vids) but that's okay as long as the form is good and you are keeping everything tight throughout the lift imo