Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's so drat funny every time Star Citizen news is posted outside the SC subreddit. Sure, yeah, it's just FUD goons hating on your game, right guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

peter gabriel posted:

How would laying a mine in space help?

Doesn't matter, got laid

marumaru
May 20, 2013

$1275 (+tip) to meet Roberts. Nice!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

I lose pity for these whales whenever I see a comment like this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sarsapariller posted:

As more and more ships are released, it will become more apparent that there was never any plan, no mechanics at all to tie all this together- just a bunch of wouldn't-it-be-cool pictures translated into unbelievably expensive 3D models.

This just sums it all up real nice.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Quavers posted:

It's all Sq42 everybody! :woop:

Don't worry about the lack of Chapter roadmap progress :mmmhmm:

lol this only makes the project look worse, not better

"Uh, look, Chris shot 11 hours of footage with Gillian Anderson in pajamas!"

So either the game is a movie and its 100% cut-scenes, or SQ42 is going to be like 90 hours long in total? Are you loving serious?

Nobody's ever seeing any of that footage lmao.

Not even Metal Gear Solid 4 had 11 hours of cutscenes.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Keep going funding. We need some more laughs.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

A sane person would look at those pictures and think "this is parody." A sane and educated person would look at the project and say "this is farce." Backers look at it all and say "this is my life."

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I find that description of CR unlikely.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Totally not a sales pitch! No sir! :newlol:

It's stuff like this (but not only or even mainly) that makes me want to become full on marxist-leninist (and I detest the Bolsheviks and their actions).

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

Crobbo touching the physics code would actually explain a lot of the jankiness.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sandepande posted:

I find that description of CR unlikely.

Are you sure? Remember what his involvement would mean for the final result, and then remember the current state of SC.
It's more likely that you'd think. :D

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Tippis posted:

Are you sure? Remember what his involvement would mean for the final result, and then remember the current state of SC.
It's more likely that you'd think. :D

Him working 60 to 80 hour weeks. Well, the coding bit as well. Or maybe he got more involved after failing to play his game...

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Funny, I thought they cancelled their licensed peripheral plans :confused: :confused:

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

The "mines" are basically drones though. They have on-board AI (I thought AI was outlawed according to the precious ~~~*SC Lore*~~~), and travel (up to 5km) and track/engage targets autonomously. Why the gently caress do they even need a dedicated minelayer? Shouldn't any ship be capable of shoving these out the airlock?

Even divorced from the fact that the game is DOA, you'd think the whales might require a little internal consistency in their theorycrafting. Time and again I'm reminded that the modern English word "dream" comes from the same Proto-Indo-European root we get the word "trauma" from (it originally meant injury, then took on a gloss of betrayal/deception, which evolved into the modern usage).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sandepande posted:

Him working 60 to 80 hour weeks. Well, the coding bit as well. Or maybe he got more involved after failing to play his game...

“Working” obviously entails researching things on the internet, and we've all seen his hunt-and-peck typing (and the escapist letter, which apparently took 8 hours), so 60–80 hours seems entirely reasonable for him to be able to complete a StackOverflow search. :eng101:

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

So naïve. A salesperson's dream.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
- Star Citizen D20 Sourcebook
- Pirates' Manual
- Stimpire Campaign Set

how this hasn't happened yet?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Inacio posted:

$1275 (+tip) to meet Roberts. Nice!

this guy looks like a villain in a b martial arts movie. lol

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Fidelitious posted:

Lol, why does everything in this game have such absurdly low effective ranges? Automated sentry guns aren't much of a thing in the real world except in very specific situations and they all require human authorization to actually fire. But the ones that I quickly checked out have automated target acquisition and firing solutions out to about 3 kilometers. Give 1000 years of advancement, and stick the sentry gun in space where there is no terrain or much background noise at all (or anything that limits the range of a ballistic weapon), and it should easily be able to automatically fire out to at least several thousand kilometers. Effective range would have to depend on how fast its munitions travel, but at least give something reasonable, not 5 freakin' kilometers.

Because if projectiles travelled at tens of Kms per second, they're essentially act like lasers, a straight line that instantly hits any target within visible range with no chance of dodging. Also, firing at dots that are hundreds / thousands of Km away from you. Is. Not. Fun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

good loving christ :cripes:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

an actual frog posted:

Funny, I thought they cancelled their licensed peripheral plans :confused: :confused:

:same:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

extremely blessed

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

There's this thing called youtube i hear you can put videos on it,sure would have saved a lot of people travel money.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

skeletors_condom posted:

Totally not a sales pitch! No sir! :newlol:

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Tippis posted:

“Working” obviously entails researching things on the internet, and we've all seen his hunt-and-peck typing (and the escapist letter, which apparently took 8 hours), so 60–80 hours seems entirely reasonable for him to be able to complete a StackOverflow search. :eng101:

When you put it that way then truly CR is The Code Whisperer.

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

drat these people quoting their counter argument straight from marketing material. I know this isn't the first occurrence of this behaviour but it never ceases to amaze.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Nyast posted:

Because if projectiles travelled at tens of Kms per second, they're essentially act like lasers, a straight line that instantly hits any target within visible range with no chance of dodging. Also, firing at dots that are hundreds / thousands of Km away from you. Is. Not. Fun.
It's funny because they retort "realism" every time it is pointed out that some game mechanic is broken/nonsensical/not fun, so that's not stopping them. Quantum travel takes a billion years and a day but it's "realistic" despite it being superluminal travel and fantasy as far as physics is concerned. I can almost respect a game that says "you think you want fun?! Motherfucker it takes light eight hours to get from Earth to the Kuiper Belt, get better going now if you want to arrive before you die of age," but it's applied so haphazardly that it's almost, I dunno, as if there's massive incompetence and failure of imagination going on!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Should literally check in with him every couple months or so and see how his minelayer is coming along.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
So I haven't been keeping up with this thread in a while but I remember that even like 5 years ago they were selling bespoke spaceship jpegs and promising the world. Like one was $10,000 or something, right? Did those ever actually get made into anything beyond concept art?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

So I haven't been keeping up with this thread in a while but I remember that even like 5 years ago they were selling bespoke spaceship jpegs and promising the world. Like one was $10,000 or something, right? Did those ever actually get made into anything beyond concept art?

Since then you have missed land claims, anti-aircraft batteries, tanks, Space Kitty, Star Wars bikes and you can buy all the ship jpgs for $27,000.
So things are going well.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

how is it possible for someone to be this dumb

It's sales pitch 101 my friend. Prize the entry fee high enough to weed out those who are not truly committed, make them feel chosen, selected, privileged to be there. Couch it in terms that hide the fact that it's a sales pitch (it's a peek behind the scenes, it's exclusive access to the designers, et cetera). Dazzle them with words and dreams to wear them down mentally. Give them food, and drinks to loosen their inhibitions. Be it timeshares, MLM, whatever, this is how it's done.

It's really quite startling that the one thing CIG seems to be good at is whale milking.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://twitter.com/8_Spartacus_8/status/1165623426612191233

lol space court

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

basically no. You can check the status of most CIG "promises" at https://starcitizentracker.github.io/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

:lol::lol::lol:

Even on the "good" JPEGs they're still helplessly clipping through the bench.