Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Batterypowered7 posted:

How tall are you guys and what's your body weight? 425lb is like triple my body weight and it's hard for me to imagine ever deadlifting that much. Right now I can do maybe five squats at 225lb and I haven't attempted to deadlift that much out of fear of tweaking my back.

5'10", 178 lbs

w/r/t squats I did a heavy double a couple weeks ago at 315 and could probably do more but I'm exhausted and undernourished due to personal poo poo so I'll take what I can get.

I haven't worried about loving up my back on a deadlift, especially after working other compound lifts. It's going much slower than squats (320 x 3 was my last heavy-ish pull) but I've been stubborn and using double overhand grip instead of mixed, which is a lot tougher. Honestly the thing that's sore after I do volume deadlift work ends up being my traps and mid-back and the one time I tweaked anything it was more in the glute/coccyx region.

Just go slow and practice your form, the weight will come later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

UnfurledSails posted:

And here's my 425 current 1RM, from a better angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYU8fwWORZc

My hips look a bit high to me here, and I felt like I was using my back a lot in that lift

I'll go for 425x2 next week, I'll film it from the side next.

The Thrall video says "don't sit back" which is what I do, but I think I might need to consciously put my rear end down a bit before starting the pull

A lot about finding a good technique is to find something that is powerful, repeatable, and safe. It looks to me like there are a couple of steps there that you might be able to cut out, in order to make your technique more repeatable and easier to evaluate. I am by no means a master at this, and there are numerous legit ways of doing it, but I'll give it a shake.
First, I think it looks like your hips is in a pretty good spot at 0:15, then you drop them, but notice where they are as the bar clears the floor (they are more or less back at the position they had at 0:15, only you might have let your lumbar extension go a little, hard to judge from this angle). I'd try and just skip that lowering of the hips completely, and stay where you originally set them up since that's where you pull from anyway.
Secondly, I'd try to feel the weight of the bar in your hands before you start the pull. So, you've set your hips and your back they way you want it, now try pulling like 50% so that you feel that you've pulled the slack out of the bar while still successfully remaining with your back and hips set, then ramp upp the pull and stand up.
Doing paused deadlifts an inch or two from the floor once a week can do wonders for getting that first part of the deadlift nailed down.
Over all I think it looks pretty good! What makes the hip position feel weird to you?

ovenboy fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 24, 2019

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Hey thanks! I now see that I reset my hips as the bar clears the floor. I think that's me consciously thinking "sit down a bit more" before starting but quickly reverting a more advantageous feeling position since it actually feels harder to pull with my hips down like that. And I definitely have a tendency to yank the bar off so I'll definitely check out the pause deadlifts next week. I think overall I need to be more patient at the start. My mentality is like "I need to get this off the ground ASAP like ripping off a bandaid otherwise it won't move" instead of just trusting that I'll be able to move it even if I start slower

The part that feels weird is that the deadlift is usually considered a posterior chain exercise but I pretty much never really feel it in my legs. Today for example, my legs are completely fine but my lower back erector muscles are sore as hell. Obviously I'm not good morning it up and my legs are usually a bit wobbly after sets but it never feels like I'm really hitting them much

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

UnfurledSails posted:

Here's the 415x2 I did yesterday, though it's filmed from the front:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkSrZh-ZmXw

You still get an idea about where my hips are though

And here's my 425 current 1RM, from a better angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYU8fwWORZc

My hips look a bit high to me here, and I felt like I was using my back a lot in that lift

I'll go for 425x2 next week, I'll film it from the side next.

The Thrall video says "don't sit back" which is what I do, but I think I might need to consciously put my rear end down a bit before starting the pull

I'm 5'8" and 170 when I pulled 425 for the first time. My deadlift shot up immediately once I stopped fearing about tweaking my back. My back rounds a bit during max lifts (as you can see from the vids) but that's okay as long as the form is good and you are keeping everything tight throughout the lift imo

Oh hey, we're the same height, just thirty pounds apart. Maybe I just need to stop being a little bitch and actually try to lift heavier weights.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

UnfurledSails posted:

The part that feels weird is that the deadlift is usually considered a posterior chain exercise but I pretty much never really feel it in my legs. Today for example, my legs are completely fine but my lower back erector muscles are sore as hell. Obviously I'm not good morning it up and my legs are usually a bit wobbly after sets but it never feels like I'm really hitting them much

I can't say I've ever felt deadlifts in the legs particularly. I guess i feel it in... my soul? The reason you're getting sore in the lower back might be because you let your extension go a little, letting your extensors work (trying to contract) while they are actually getting stretched out. Doing lots of excentric work is usually a pretty good method of getting sore, at least compared to having the muscles working isometrically. I usually don't worry overly much where I feel something, or am supposed to feel something. If I've done an acceptable deadlift then my posterior chain has been working, since anything else would be an impossibility.
When you film it from the side next time, see if something happens in your heavy sets, compared to the lighter warm-up sets.

edit: For that matter: the spinal extensors are certainly part of the posterior chain.

ovenboy fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 24, 2019

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

ovenboy posted:

I can't say I've ever felt deadlifts in the legs particularly. I guess i feel it in... my soul?

lmao yes. Same goes for any kind of row and for some reason triceps, but only for my left arm.

ovenboy posted:

you let your extension go a little, letting your extensors work (trying to contract) while they are actually getting stretched out.

I think you got it. When I'm doing near max effort deadlifts I'm definitely feeling my mid-to-lower back stretch. It's not much and doesn't hurt but it surprised me a bit when it happened the first time. Doesn't really happen during warmups, or 5 rep sets, but definitely happens on 1-3 rep max sets.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Batterypowered7 posted:

Oh hey, we're the same height, just thirty pounds apart. Maybe I just need to stop being a little bitch and actually try to lift heavier weights.

I'm like 5'8" and pulled my 1rm of 390 at 190lbs. I was the same way never pulling over 205 while my squat was like 225. The fear is real, but once you get some practice doing it and with proper form you'll realize how silly it is. Deadlift is way easier and feels safer than squat imo. But you'll never get there if you don't take the first steps.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
IMO you're not going to be perfect on any ME lift but you definitely shouldn't have a mindset of it being OK to round your lower back. Everyone has different cues but what really helped me get over the "shock" of a heavy deadlift and the resulting spinal flexion is to make sure you posterior chain is tight as gently caress at the start position. I don't mean just bracing, I mean you should feel a stretch and feel like you can't get any lower. The start position of a deadlift should be very uncomfortable. Personally I like to achieve this by thinking about trying to reach back with my butt (different from sitting back or arching) and also starting your setup standing helps. You don't have to start every rep or any rep from standing, but doing the thing where you stand, then hinge and bend over while pushing your butt back so that you can barely reach the bar and you feel a big stretch will help you memorize how a correct setup should feel.

When you start from a tight, uncomfortable position, you are expecting the load before the weight even leaves the ground and there is no "transition" of the weight suddenly starting to feel much heavier when it gets to your knees or whatever

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Batterypowered7 posted:

How tall are you guys and what's your body weight? 425lb is like triple my body weight and it's hard for me to imagine ever deadlifting that much. Right now I can do maybe five squats at 225lb and I haven't attempted to deadlift that much out of fear of tweaking my back.

i'm 6'1 and around 193-195 atm. I pull close to 500. I can easily imagine deadlifting 6 or 700 in a couple of years. you know why? Because I took it one step at a time and went from 2-300, then 3-400, etc. You gotta get over the fear. If it helps, my back feels a lot better now that I'm this strong. Most of the tweaks happen at first when you're still learning. They also aren't a big deal most of the time, assuming you're otherwise healthy.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i'm 6'1 and around 193-195 atm. I pull close to 500. I can easily imagine deadlifting 6 or 700 in a couple of years. you know why? Because I took it one step at a time and went from 2-300, then 3-400, etc. You gotta get over the fear. If it helps, my back feels a lot better now that I'm this strong. Most of the tweaks happen at first when you're still learning. They also aren't a big deal most of the time, assuming you're otherwise healthy.

The doctor just advised I be careful after they told me about the lumbar lordosis and I've been paranoid/using it as an excuse since then. I'm confident I can get my squat and deadlift higher than where they're at now. My bench and press, however, are tragically bad. I really, really need to work on those.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I don't know anything about that but I'd just take it slow, but stick with it. If it starts to give you problems I'd seek out a sports physio or somebody who knows how to work around it. Lot of hosed up people moving lots of weight though, I'd be surprised if it made it impossible for you. I'd also not be surprised if building a strong deadlift actually helped make your back more resilient. I used to strain mine all the time at work moving around reels of wire, and that hasn't happened at all in the past year or two. I even do dumb poo poo like throw around 200 lb boxes that you can only grab in awkward bent over positions too, not that I'd advise trying. I'm just saying I couldn't get away with that poo poo 3 years ago.

I'm not a great presser, but I've made decent improvements(started out benching 95, and barely OHPing 65, can bench 260 and OHP 155 now) and my advice is really to be patient. I quit trying to make linear gains around a 145 bench and ever since I add roughly 5 lbs a month to my max on bench and even slower to OHP. Which is perfectly fine because there's a lot of months ahead of me before I get old. That said, I am going to hit a 300 lb bench really fuckin fast because my honor is on the line, here. So if some internet turd challenges you to a bench contest, then definitely improve as fast as you possibly can.

E: Has anyone else done these goofy rear end shits? https://www.instagram.com/p/B1kFL0vgg8k/ At the very least, they do a good job of getting blood all up in your moving bits and make your shoulders and stuff feel better. Dunno about "stability" gains, don't really care. Just doing as I'm programmed.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 24, 2019

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

What's your guys's protein intake, relative to body weight? I get no less than 80 grams right now (to my 140lb) and I feel like I'm really missing the mark there.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Batterypowered7 posted:

What's your guys's protein intake, relative to body weight? I get no less than 80 grams right now (to my 140lb) and I feel like I'm really missing the mark there.

One gram per pound I think was the easy to remember guideline. Varys between 0.5g per lb on up to heroic amounts of salami depending on goal and who you ask.

Your numbers also fine as long as you see the progress you want.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
IIRC at least 1 gram per lb of lean body mass, and that's the playing it safe mark to shoot for. If I were you I'd aim for at least 110 or so just to be safe.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I'm doing RP diet maintenance right now, which aims for about 200g protein a day

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I watched a video from Eric Helms that suggested I think .6g per pound in a surplus and .8g per pound in a deficit, so I just do that.

I'm probably about 5'8" and 168ish now but I let myself balloon up to 176 to pull 5 plates. I'm really excited to try 3x body weight, but I probably won't test until I'm back on a surplus.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m following the vertical diet and I’m about 230-250g a day depending on the size of the steaks.

I weight about 215 or so.

I’m probably way over but I really am not gonna start weighing these steaks out.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

"killer low-carb pasta loaded with protein and fiber."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0VgfQwdEtg&t=130s

UnfurledSails fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 25, 2019

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

MarcusSA posted:

I’m following the vertical diet

Lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok?

I’m not sure what’s funny about it really it’s not anything particularly crazy.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Only eating red meat at the expense of things like chicken is moronic

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Time posted:

Only eating red meat at the expense of things like chicken is moronic

Why?

The diet also includes fish but also doesn’t exclude chicken. I do eat chicken.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

MarcusSA posted:

Why?

The diet also includes fish but also doesn’t exclude chicken. I do eat chicken.

Centering a strength training diet around meat and vegetables isn’t revolutionary and is what every good coach already recommended. the approach of the meat being primarily red meat and a few certain vegetables preferred over others is also not new and almost certainly just Stan efferding cashing in on his history as a good coach and phenomenal strength athlete to get rich as hell. Which, good for him.

If you are adding in a bunch of chicken to go with it you are deviating from the diet as written because it absolutely wants most of your protein to come from red sources, which is probably fine but has not a lot scientific basis for improved performance over other sources of lean protein. any way you slice it, the info isn’t worth 100 bones or a new name

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Looking for some form critique. My job pays for LA Fitness memberships so I don't pay anything but have to use those annoying octagonal plates.

5x205lb Squat: https://youtu.be/5XlTed3svzc

3x185lb Deadlift: https://youtu.be/IL9GHPVLVn0

Had to cut the deadlift set I was recording short because I set up the phone too close to other equipment someone else was waiting to use. Woops!

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
So I looked up the vertical diet, and

"The diet structure is new for even meal plan veterans. Efferding builds his nutritional plan in the shape of an upside-down T. The long part at the bottom is made up of the core foods emphasized on the plan for vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that are easily digestible and should increase gym performance. These foods are things like milk (if you’re not lactose intolerant), vegetables (always good), eggs, salmon and potatoes.

Sounds pretty sane so far and a solid plan for anyone logging time working out. The vertical part of the Vertical Diet is where this plan is tailored to a specific group of people with certain goals. This is where you build in your calories, which Efferding want you to do with rice and red meat. Ideally that’s in the form of steak, but he also taps venison, buffalo and lamb chops as options."

Why is the protein in the form of steak or those more obscure meats? :confuoot:

*and I eat a lot of meat so this is not an ethical question

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

doverhog posted:

Why is the protein in the form of steak or those more obscure meats? :confuoot:

*and I eat a lot of meat so this is not an ethical question

Because “eat a diet with a variety of lean protein sources and vegetables of all types” is a lot harder to make quick money with

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Looking for some form critique. My job pays for LA Fitness memberships so I don't pay anything but have to use those annoying octagonal plates.

Had to cut the deadlift set I was recording short because I set up the phone too close to other equipment someone else was waiting to use. Woops!

Your squat is a little high. First two reps for sure,a little closer to good depth on the last three. Practicing some pause reps before/after your worksets will help, it just looks a little unsteady right now.

You could stand to tighten up your lower back a little more for the initial deadlift pull but it's not heinous.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Flipgrip posted:

Your squat is a little high. First two reps for sure,a little closer to good depth on the last three. Practicing some pause reps before/after your worksets will help, it just looks a little unsteady right now.

You could stand to tighten up your lower back a little more for the initial deadlift pull but it's not heinous.

Thanks! I could definitely feel I wasn't going as low as I should on those first two reps, so I tried being more mindful on the following ones. I also deleted the video of the first set because I ripped rear end setting up for the squat and it was loud enough for my phone to pick up.

I'll see if I can tighten up that lower back a bit more on the initial deadlift pull. I can definitely see what you mean.

Edit: The deadlifts were also really easy so I'll definitely be adding more weight on Tuesday.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 26, 2019

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Batterypowered7 posted:

Thanks! I could definitely feel I wasn't going as low as I should on those first two reps, so I tried being more mindful on the following ones. I also deleted the video of the first set because I ripped rear end setting up for the squat and it was loud enough for my phone to pick up.

I'll see if I can tighten up that lower back a bit more on the initial deadlift pull. I can definitely see what you mean.

Gotta hold that in until the bottom of the squat for extra thrust.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Batterypowered7 posted:

Stuff like this is why I'm glad I go to the gym in the evenings during the week. I remember a couple months ago I was going heavy on leg press & shot a rumbler out right at the bottom of the lift as I was pushing it upward. Thank gently caress there were maybe 7-8 people total at the gym, all had headphones in so they either heard it & chose not to acknowledge, or didn't hear it at all. I had to take a 5 minute giggle break & double check my shorts, thankfully it wasn't one that smelled.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Real nitpick stuff to add (and all anecdotal), but I think you take some pretty lengthy steps back when you're unracked and getting into position. I found that as the weight got heavier, and I had to get used to the increased load on my back, I wanted to do as little as possible to get into position. Two steps back is good, but maybe get in the practice of not traveling as far with them.

I'd also ditch those gloves, too. Build up them gnarly fuckin calluses son

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

ElectricSheep posted:

Build up them gnarly fuckin calluses son

This has been a topic in YLLS a bunch and the conclusion IMO is that you wanna work out hard enough that you need to put in work to file down and moisturize your calluses lest they start ripping and bleeding. So calluses are good, but, that's like just a stop on the journey.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Batterypowered7 posted:

I also deleted the video of the first set because I ripped rear end setting up for the squat and it was loud enough for my phone to pick up.

Why would you delete this

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah that's actually just impressive

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/NEXFewk.mp4

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I was hoping it would fall straight down and get stuck on his shoulders with him still standing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Went to the doctor recently because of some lower back pain and found out I have some degree of lumbar lordosis. How do you guys feel about using the trap bar to do lifts when experiencing mild back pain? Are deadlifts with the trap bar comparable to doing them with a barbell?

Be careful, a trap bar doesn't make you invincible to loving up your back.

It is quite a bit of a different lift as your quads do most of the work, but your back still gets involved.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Be careful, a trap bar doesn't make you invincible to loving up your back.

Yeah this is absolutely true.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
My lower back issues (that necessitated the giant needles directly into my spine kind of surgery) were more set off by anything with the weight out in front of my center of gravity. So like, OG squats and deadlifts were totally cool, but Good Mornings, RDL, and even barbell bent over rows are a total no go. I mean, I can still squat and DL so in the long run I'll be fine, but there goes my insta fitness aspirations.

Trap bar DL isn't automatically safer, but maybe having that more centered weight would be better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Trap Bar is way more comfy anyway