Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just rewatched Lisa vs Malibu Stacy and it might be my new favorite. Tress MacNeille is amazing in it and every line is loving gold.

Think about that episode and it’s biting social commentary and satire wrapped around a tidy little narrative about Lisa and Grandpa as a part of marginalized groups of people in society struggling with being demeaned and ignored. Going from ignorance to anger to some sort of acceptance of that reality.

Now think about that Trump clip again. In 2019 version Lisa would have enlisted the help of Katy Perry and Rachael Maddow to make a new Malibu Stacey VR simulator. Trump would show up at some point with a shirt that says “Patriarchy” on it and then he falls down because he is fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Stop! Stop! He's already dead!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Hi, Democratic Senator Alexandria Ocassio Cortez! I'm Lisa Simpson, and I'm going to protest Mansbro until they release a Malibu Stacy doll just like you! In fact, I'll tell them they'd better make a presidential version for a 2020 release!

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
I hate to bring up Star Wars but just like George Lucas doing the prequels didn't understand what made the original Star Wars movies good, the modern Simpsons writers don't actually understand why the classic episodes were good or funny.

And Lisa vs Malibu Stacy is a really good classic episode. When GI Joe shows up for 15 seconds, in modern Simpsons it would be Justin Theroux or some poo poo doing his voice for absolutely no reason.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I avoided watching this until now and this is somehow so much worse than I thought it could be. Holy poo poo.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Youngsters, including people born this millenium, share tons of old simpsons memes and screencaps on social media, but I honestly don't know if they watch the show or if it's just people sharing what have become contextless funny reaction face drawings. Can we crowdfund the consultation fee for someone who's actually cool and young to come in here and say if the old simpsons is good or not?

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

That face...

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Seriously, that clip needs to be a topic of discussion in every animation course in the country. Did it actually air as part of an episode, or was it only put out as a promotional thing online?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

Seriously, that clip needs to be a topic of discussion in every animation course in the country. Did it actually air as part of an episode, or was it only put out as a promotional thing online?

Promotional thing online. They're too chickenshit to be political on-air these days

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I hate to bring up Star Wars but just like George Lucas doing the prequels didn't understand what made the original Star Wars movies good, the modern Simpsons writers don't actually understand why the classic episodes were good or funny.

And Lisa vs Malibu Stacy is a really good classic episode. When GI Joe shows up for 15 seconds, in modern Simpsons it would be Justin Theroux or some poo poo doing his voice for absolutely no reason.

And there are so many jokes that are just jokes and they're never explained to death or driven into the ground. There's the moment where MacNeille says she can't start yet and Lisa encourages her but she snaps back that she's way too drunk or when she said she was forced out because her ideas were bad for business and also she was funneling money to the Vietcong.

I was audibly laughing at those lines and I don't think I've laughed at anything in the last fifteen years of new Simpsons. Plus we learn so much about this character in those moments. She feels like a real person whereas in 2019 she'd be a cheap cameo or caricature of real person with no unique traits of her own.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PostNouveau posted:

Promotional thing online. They're too chickenshit to be political on-air these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8M2tg2RkIQ

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
this thread inspired me to watch kamp krusty, a streetcar named marge, homer the heretic, and lisa the beauty queen all in a row

season 4 simpsons and present-day simpsons are, for all intents and purposes, different shows

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

this thread inspired me to watch kamp krusty, a streetcar named marge, homer the heretic, and lisa the beauty queen all in a row

season 4 simpsons and present-day simpsons are, for all intents and purposes, different shows

Kamp Krusty had a direct sequel recently where the kids deal with the truama. And A Streetcar Named Marge kinda had one too where Marge takes over the community theater when the director leaves in a huff.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I watched Two Dozen and One Greyhounds with my son and he thought it was hilarious. He's three. The puppies stealing Homer's potato chips drat near killed him.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

Kamp Krusty had a direct sequel recently where the kids deal with the truama.

was it kamp krustier? because i listened to the worst episode ever episode about it, and i'm afraid to watch it now.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

YeahTubaMike posted:

was it kamp krustier? because i listened to the worst episode ever episode about it, and i'm afraid to watch it now.

i did so you don't have to

Tree Goat posted:

there is a brief reshot scene iirc, but it's very short.

lisa is traumatized about their experiences at camp krusty, so marge makes her and bart go to therapy (although bart is just faking to skip school + get things). during therapy, they recover memories of seeing a kid die, but, when they return to the camp, it turns out the kid was just a midget and is still alive.

the b plot is that marge and homer had a lot of sex while the kids are gone, but now that the kids are back they aren't having sex. homer discovers that if he is volcel, then he becomes very smart and good at his job. marge initially likes the new homer but becomes sexually frustrated and they end up going back to kamp krusty (which has reopened as a spa/swingers club) where she finally convinces him to have sex, making him stupid again.

fin.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Man I miss The Simpsums

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Tree Goat posted:

i did so you don't have to

Tree Goat posted:

there is a brief reshot scene iirc, but it's very short.

lisa is traumatized about their experiences at camp krusty, so marge makes her and bart go to therapy (although bart is just faking to skip school + get things). during therapy, they recover memories of seeing a kid die, but, when they return to the camp, it turns out the kid was just a midget and is still alive.

the b plot is that marge and homer had a lot of sex while the kids are gone, but now that the kids are back they aren't having sex. homer discovers that if he is volcel, then he becomes very smart and good at his job. marge initially likes the new homer but becomes sexually frustrated and they end up going back to kamp krusty (which has reopened as a spa/swingers club) where she finally convinces him to have sex, making him stupid again.

fin.

jesus why :negative:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just rewatched Lisa vs Malibu Stacy and it might be my new favorite. Tress MacNeille is amazing in it and every line is loving gold.

Krusty in the recording studio is pure goodness. I love ending the scene with the engineer’s “what the?”

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Atlas Hugged posted:

Tress MacNeille

Sorry but it's not Tress MacNeille it's Kathleen Turner
:goonsay:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

DorkusMalorkus posted:

My bad. She should get proper credit because the performance was excellent.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah! A guest voice that works as a one off character and not as stunt casting. I mean there is some stunt casting in classic seasons, and more celebrities playing themselves as the seasons go on too, but when someone played themselves in the old episodes it's usually for like three minutes or less. I'm thinking even about "Homer at the Bat" and "Krusty Gets Kancelled," which both had high concentrations of actual famous people who each still only got about three lines each. It worked! None of this "Lisa Goes Gaga" abomination.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

DorkusMalorkus posted:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Imagine the room of people who made this happen. Their satisfaction with themselves as they create this.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Futurama was good. Remember how it had some great seasons, then a bit of a decline, and then they ended it? Several times! But they're letting all that practice go to waste.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I have no idea what’s being said right before and during the mike pence line, not that it matters. I do think more recent simpsons seasons are trying to get more dynamic animation back than some of the teenage seasons, since making the jump to hd. It’s still lifelessly clean and on-model, but at least they change lighting and camera angles. This is in comparison to the McFarlane projects that firmly remain on a static shot 80% of the time which drives me nuts. That’s the most praise I can give this though.

Could Castalanetta give less of a poo poo about even trying to match the rhythm of the West Side Story song? Wtf is that music? Somebody put a metronome on this thing, I’m so curious. I think the animators are trying, but everybody in the audio department sounds like they’re staring into their own graves and the feeling is contagious.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

life is a joke posted:

Youngsters, including people born this millenium, share tons of old simpsons memes and screencaps on social media, but I honestly don't know if they watch the show or if it's just people sharing what have become contextless funny reaction face drawings. Can we crowdfund the consultation fee for someone who's actually cool and young to come in here and say if the old simpsons is good or not?

They’re legit into it, which I actually find refreshing as an old (I’m 28 so I might as well be decrepit). They’re also aware the insane season rot that happened around S12-13.

Like memes bolster them getting into old Simpsons which is awesome, and they’re so next level creative that they’re making their own memes of shows that predate them by a decade.

It’s pretty impressive, the kids are alright.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Could Castalanetta give less of a poo poo about even trying to match the rhythm of the West Side Story song? Wtf is that music? Somebody put a metronome on this thing, I’m so curious. I think the animators are trying, but everybody in the audio department sounds like they’re staring into their own graves and the feeling is contagious.

I mean America is not exactly a song with a straightforward unchallenging time signature, but still yeah

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

They had new show runners every two seasons during the first ten years

It's been Al Jean for going on two decades now

Get some fresh blood in there

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Drowning the whole thing in blood would be a better option.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I decided to torture myself by watching The Simpsons last night, but I fell asleep before the first commercial break. Goddamn does Marge sound like she's about to keel over.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Iron Crowned posted:

I decided to torture myself by watching The Simpsons last night, but I fell asleep before the first commercial break. Goddamn does Marge sound like she's about to keel over.

I listened to Castellaneta as Krusty in a WTF interview. It’s only funny when his Krusty is pretending to be burned out and exhausted.

I’m surprised core cast members haven’t called it quits and retired. Must be the studio allows ridiculous accommodations and pay for scant amounts of work, and it’s not like any of the cast would make the jump to movies.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

Kamp Krusty had a direct sequel recently where the kids deal with the truama. And A Streetcar Named Marge kinda had one too where Marge takes over the community theater when the director leaves in a huff.

Has there ever been a good 'sequel episode' on the Simpsons? The only one springing to mind was when Uncle Herb returns, but even that paled in comparison to the original. Sideshow Bob episodes don't count :colbert:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I listened to Castellaneta as Krusty in a WTF interview. It’s only funny when his Krusty is pretending to be burned out and exhausted.

I’m surprised core cast members haven’t called it quits and retired. Must be the studio allows ridiculous accommodations and pay for scant amounts of work, and it’s not like any of the cast would make the jump to movies.

$300,000 per episode

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

DorkusMalorkus posted:

Yeah! A guest voice that works as a one off character and not as stunt casting. I mean there is some stunt casting in classic seasons, and more celebrities playing themselves as the seasons go on too, but when someone played themselves in the old episodes it's usually for like three minutes or less. I'm thinking even about "Homer at the Bat" and "Krusty Gets Kancelled," which both had high concentrations of actual famous people who each still only got about three lines each. It worked! None of this "Lisa Goes Gaga" abomination.

Imagine them trying to pitch gigantism to the guest voice today.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Atlas Hugged posted:

But she does?

“Wikipedia” posted:

Kathleen Turner guest starred in the episode as Stacy Lovell. Mirkin thought Turner was "completely game" when she showed up at the recording studio to record her lines as she "nailed" her lines really fast. He added that he enjoyed directing her and he thought she had one of the best performances ever on The Simpsons.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I've seen this a few times now, mostly just from lurking this thread. The weird thing is, as bad as the first half is, I could sort of see it as a failed attempt at basic mockery. I've seen plenty of bad Trump jokes and this is fairly run of the mill, though really poor. As soon as the dancing democratic candidates appear, it somehow goes from awful to uncomfortably bad. Like as a registered Democrat, it makes me have a compulsion to vote against the people who appear in this clip. loving Simpsons.

Anyone who praises this clip should be put on a watch list.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

iamsosmrt posted:

I've seen this a few times now, mostly just from lurking this thread. The weird thing is, as bad as the first half is, I could sort of see it as a failed attempt at basic mockery. I've seen plenty of bad Trump jokes and this is fairly run of the mill, though really poor. As soon as the dancing democratic candidates appear, it somehow goes from awful to uncomfortably bad. Like as a registered Democrat, it makes me have a compulsion to vote against the people who appear in this clip. loving Simpsons.

Anyone who praises this clip should be put on a watch list.

Good news, we're all on a watch list

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

teen witch posted:

They’re legit into it, which I actually find refreshing as an old (I’m 28 so I might as well be decrepit). They’re also aware the insane season rot that happened around S12-13.

Like memes bolster them getting into old Simpsons which is awesome, and they’re so next level creative that they’re making their own memes of shows that predate them by a decade.

It’s pretty impressive, the kids are alright.

That is very heartening to hear! the Komedy klassics live on, and i'm glad that people watch the old ones as a separate thing. Mostly for selfish reasons, as an aging millennial it is good to have a shred of connection to pop culture :P

PostNouveau posted:

$300,000 per episode

I think I read that some or all of them do it remotely too, so they can just get the script and read it into a microphone in an afternoon for 300k. That's a negotiated "lower" salary too, I bet they got a lot of concessions that make the whole experience a completely mindless, a quarter mil just for having a bunch of techs come to you and then reading some lines. I think some/all of them do table reads and other stuff at the studio, but I'd wager they get paid extra for that too.

They are all talented actors but often read things in a way I can detect as not giving a poo poo at all, and I am not someone who cares about acting quality of cartoons and "immersion". So they probably don't even get notes or requests for too many re-takes based on the output. They can finance generations of pampered heirs by giving bedtime-story-energy reads of crappy scripts, I would do that until the day I died lol

brugroffil posted:

They had new show runners every two seasons during the first ten years

It's been Al Jean for going on two decades now

Get some fresh blood in there

It also messes up any of those retrospective interviews they do, because nobody wants to mention the quality decline when their bud is still working there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Anyone ever notice that The Simpsons style ends up drawing Hispanic women with low, sharp cheekbones in a way that makes them look like the Crypt Keeper crossed with an alien or is that just me?

life is a joke posted:

I think I read that some or all of them do it remotely too, so they can just get the script and read it into a microphone in an afternoon for 300k. That's a negotiated "lower" salary too, I bet they got a lot of concessions that make the whole experience a completely mindless, a quarter mil just for having a bunch of techs come to you and then reading some lines. I think some/all of them do table reads and other stuff at the studio, but I'd wager they get paid extra for that too.

They are all talented actors but often read things in a way I can detect as not giving a poo poo at all, and I am not someone who cares about acting quality of cartoons and "immersion". So they probably don't even get notes or requests for too many re-takes based on the output. They can finance generations of pampered heirs by giving bedtime-story-energy reads of crappy scripts, I would do that until the day I died lol

I kept mentioning this same thing in the thread and someone here pointed out it's likely that everyone records their lines at home and sends them in. It definitely explains the stilted dialogue. One of the other big signs is that Dan is always really acting out loud like he's on a stage while other people tend to be more reserved with their volume.