Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

jeffery posted:

"i will never get in trouble for this" *blows up the moon for fun*

What's with all the Namekians itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for killing a butterfly in my office that one of my co-workers believed it was her dead mother?

r/relationships: Now, I absolutely hate butterflies

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Pinecone Sample posted:

My girlfriend of 6 months has had a bench warrant for over a year. She can't get a job bc of it but might get 6 months in jail if she goes in.

Hire a lawyer and hope for the best, New Mexico is in crackdown mode on legal stuff while also having overcrowded penitentiaries. Can't hire a lawyer, she's going away and her life (your life) is gonna be hosed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Hire a lawyer and hope for the best, New Mexico is in crackdown mode on legal stuff while also having overcrowded penitentiaries. Can't hire a lawyer, she's going away and her life (your life) is gonna be hosed.

Instead of forking over the money for a lawyer at 19, he could also just not date someone with a bench warrant.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for intentionally ruining my BF's proposal?

BF and I were at my father's wedding reception, and my entire family and dad's friends were there. BF been dropping hints all day about a surprise he had planned and he kept putting his hand in his trouser pocket, but when his hand was out of his pocket I saw something that could have very easily been a ring box. Then at one point he took a deep breath, finished his drink, and started to stand up. I stood up with him, grabbed him by the elbow and dragged him into another room and said "if you're about to do what I think you're about to do, then don't tell me, just don't do it here and now." He said it was meant to be a surprise and I said this wasn't the place to surprise me.

He then showed me the ring and it's my (paternal) grandmother's engagement ring, which he couldn't have had without my dad giving it to him. He then told me that dad and my stepmum had already approved his plan of proposing tonight, but I'd sort of put him off proposing tonight as it was no longer a surprise and I'd explicitly told him not to literally seconds ago. I had no idea they'd approved it or I would have just let him get on with it, and I'd have said yes.

I feel like I hosed up here. Did I?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA if I told a close family friend that her husband cheated on her 4 years ago?

So my situation is a little difficult so I thought I would confide in the good professional people of reddit. Couple days ago me and my brother we’re hanging out late night doing regular guy things drinking, watching sports, etc. We haven’t seen each other in maybe 5-6 years so naturally we started talking about life and what’s been going on the past few years. Towards the end of our conversation we started to get to the “secrets” I mentioned something along the lines that I smoked weed for the first time and did various other substances (This was hard for me to tell because my whole life I was pretty much anti-drugs and such.) We both laughed about it saying “Just don’t let mom find out” The joke died out after a little bit and then he just blurted out “I cheated on my wife...” At first it didn’t register until I saw his face and he was dead serious. I for one hate cheaters, but I try to do my best not to judge anyone for their actions. He begins explaining this was something that happened about 4 years ago when his wife was always busy with work. She would travel a lot and be away for weeks at a time. He told me they were going through a tough time back then lots of arguing, not communicating, and that he felt really lonely. During this same time my brother met a girl at his local gym, started off as friends, slowly kept bonding and you guessed they did the sex. He told me this occasion only happened once and pretty much cut her off after that night because he started to feel guilty for a short while. Few months later his relationship turned for the better for him and his wife. Pretty much after his wife’s travels slowed down his whole relationship has been great. They’ve both gotten promotions, bought a house, more family vacations. (They have a kid) He told me life has been good to him now and he’s just thankful things have finally worked out.

As stated before I hate cheaters and I’ve always felt that the person being cheated on always has the right know. I know for sure this would probably destroy their marriage and there would be a fight for the kid. My heart tells me I have to tell her because it’s the right thing to do, especially because I’ve known my brother to cheat one other time on an ex-girlfriend couple years before his current wife. My brain tells me it’s none of my business and I should keep my mouth shut. I don’t want to see their kid go throughout that kind pain either. On one hand I betray my brother if I say something on the other hand I betray our close family friend because I know this secret and I don’t say anything. I wish he never told me, ignorance is truly bliss. So there it is, WIBTA if I said something?

TLDR: Brother Cheated on his wife years ago because he was depressed, now everything is better and he told me about it, but now I feel obligated to tell his wife because she’s a close friend. WIBTA?

Edit: I’m referring SIL as close family friend because my family and her family have known each since elementary school days and thus are Very close lol. I thought this iteration would make the relationship sound stronger than just SIL, but it looks like I was wrong.

Second Edit: Wow this is on the front page, I never intended nor expected this blow up as it did! I’m sorry I can’t reply to everyone, but there will be some kind of update.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Barudak posted:

Instead of forking over the money for a lawyer at 19, he could also just not date someone with a bench warrant.

well I mean, RUN should be the immediate option; but since the love he grew at Highland or Albuquerque High (or Valley or Rio Grande) is in danger he should probably do the most Albuquerque thing he possibly can.

edit: he will do the most Albuquerque thing he possibly can, don't get me wrong

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

MrQwerty posted:

judges rarely impose the maximum sentence for a first offense, she'll most likely get a fine. although the fact that she's had an outstanding warrant for over a year is not great, that could result in some jail time. idk how new mexico state courts work

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA if I told a close family friend that her husband cheated on her 4 years ago?

Reddit's hypocrisy is so loving transparent it's ridiculous. When a woman cheats in these stories it's "how would you feel, wouldn't you want to know if your wife cheated on you, divorce her and get the kid and money", but all the tops posts in this one are calling the OP an rear end in a top hat and they should stay out of it. The guy "learnt his lesson", "you'd be destroying a family", "he's you're brother", "he regrets it" etc etc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MrQwerty posted:

well I mean, RUN should be the immediate option; but since the love he grew at Highland or Albuquerque High (or Valley or Rio Grande) is in danger he should probably do the most Albuquerque thing he possibly can.

Get weasels all over his face?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

start a club for pureblood new mexicans ONLY?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smirking_Serpent posted:

BF and I were at my father's wedding reception, and my entire family and dad's friends were there. BF been dropping hints all day about a surprise he had planned and he kept putting his hand in his trouser pocket, but when his hand was out of his pocket I saw something that could have very easily been a ring box. Then at one point he took a deep breath, finished his drink, and started to stand up. I stood up with him, grabbed him by the elbow and dragged him into another room and said "if you're about to do what I think you're about to do, then don't tell me, just don't do it here and now." He said it was meant to be a surprise and I said this wasn't the place to surprise me.

He then showed me the ring and it's my (paternal) grandmother's engagement ring, which he couldn't have had without my dad giving it to him. He then told me that dad and my stepmum had already approved his plan of proposing tonight, but I'd sort of put him off proposing tonight as it was no longer a surprise and I'd explicitly told him not to literally seconds ago. I had no idea they'd approved it or I would have just let him get on with it, and I'd have said yes.

NTA. Don't propose at someone else's wedding.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

So my situation is a little difficult so I thought I would confide in the good professional people of reddit. Couple days ago me and my brother we’re hanging out late night doing regular guy things drinking, watching sports, etc. We haven’t seen each other in maybe 5-6 years so naturally we started talking about life and what’s been going on the past few years. Towards the end of our conversation we started to get to the “secrets” I mentioned something along the lines that I smoked weed for the first time and did various other substances (This was hard for me to tell because my whole life I was pretty much anti-drugs and such.) We both laughed about it saying “Just don’t let mom find out” The joke died out after a little bit and then he just blurted out “I cheated on my wife...” At first it didn’t register until I saw his face and he was dead serious. I for one hate cheaters, but I try to do my best not to judge anyone for their actions. He begins explaining this was something that happened about 4 years ago when his wife was always busy with work. She would travel a lot and be away for weeks at a time. He told me they were going through a tough time back then lots of arguing, not communicating, and that he felt really lonely. During this same time my brother met a girl at his local gym, started off as friends, slowly kept bonding and you guessed they did the sex. He told me this occasion only happened once and pretty much cut her off after that night because he started to feel guilty for a short while. Few months later his relationship turned for the better for him and his wife. Pretty much after his wife’s travels slowed down his whole relationship has been great. They’ve both gotten promotions, bought a house, more family vacations. (They have a kid) He told me life has been good to him now and he’s just thankful things have finally worked out.

As stated before I hate cheaters and I’ve always felt that the person being cheated on always has the right know. I know for sure this would probably destroy their marriage and there would be a fight for the kid. My heart tells me I have to tell her because it’s the right thing to do, especially because I’ve known my brother to cheat one other time on an ex-girlfriend couple years before his current wife. My brain tells me it’s none of my business and I should keep my mouth shut. I don’t want to see their kid go throughout that kind pain either. On one hand I betray my brother if I say something on the other hand I betray our close family friend because I know this secret and I don’t say anything. I wish he never told me, ignorance is truly bliss. So there it is, WIBTA if I said something?

TLDR: Brother Cheated on his wife years ago because he was depressed, now everything is better and he told me about it, but now I feel obligated to tell his wife because she’s a close friend. WIBTA?

Edit: I’m referring SIL as close family friend because my family and her family have known each since elementary school days and thus are Very close lol. I thought this iteration would make the relationship sound stronger than just SIL, but it looks like I was wrong.

Second Edit: Wow this is on the front page, I never intended nor expected this blow up as it did! I’m sorry I can’t reply to everyone, but there will be some kind of update.

YTA. He's your brother. Don't blow up his family. It's none of your business.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Unless you know the actual couple is on board with a proposal at their wedding, you have to assume that the proposal is a bad idea.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

AITA For calling my RA "Onee-sama"?

I recently moved into my new dorm, and when I was meeting with my RA, I noticed he had a desktop wallpaper from an anime called "A certain scientific railgun", which is my favorite anime series. I was so excited to find out, and when I told him, we had a laugh and instantly bonded. There was a related new series related to this anime, and he hadn't watched it, so we made plans to have viewing parties for each episode. The first few viewings went great, and I think we really became good friends.

In the anime, there are two characters: Mikoto Misaka and Kuroko Shirai. Kuroko would often call Misaka "Onee-sama", which was just showing her endearment to Misaka (technically it's a title of respect). I thought I and my RA had gotten close enough for me that I wanted to start calling him Onee-sama. The first time I did, he kind of gave a nervous laugh, but as things progressed (during a viewing party), he eventually got really mad at me and told me to stop calling him that. I tried to tell him about the respect it connotes (I am in Japanese 201, he's only in Japanese 101 this year even though he's older than me, but I did a lot of self learning), but he wouldn't really listen.

So, AITA for using a Japanese phrase to address my RA, to both convey respect and close friendship?

Edit: I think two things may impact future Judgement desu no:

There may be a tinge of homophobia the RA is projecting. I am typically a straight-acting bisexual, but can get really campy and flamboyant when pretending to be kuroko.

There's probably a tinge of cultural misunderstanding. Like, we wouldn't blame someone from Japan to slip in the occasional "-san" when addressing westerners (gaigokujin). For example, would you consider Mr. Miyagi TA for referring to Daniel as "Daniel-san"?

Edit 2: A lot of commenters are commenting that I don't understand what Onee-sama means. I completely understand it means "older sister", but that's the point. I like to think of us as sisters.

Edit 3: I accept my Judgement that ITA. I'll stop.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Unless you know the actual couple is on board with a proposal at their wedding, you have to assume that the proposal is a bad idea.

"BF and I were at my father's wedding reception ... He then showed me the ring and it's my (paternal) grandmother's engagement ring, which he couldn't have had without my dad giving it to him. He then told me that dad and my stepmum had already approved his plan of proposing tonight."

A parent's wedding, especially with their approval, is on the short list of exceptions to the "don't propose at peoples' weddings" rule.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You accepting the judgement better end with a blade in your gut and in your neck

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

quote:

I tried to tell him about the respect it connotes (I am in Japanese 201, he's only in Japanese 101 this year even though he's older than me, but I did a lot of self learning), but he wouldn't really listen.

So that about sums things up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"BF and I were at my father's wedding reception ... He then showed me the ring and it's my (paternal) grandmother's engagement ring, which he couldn't have had without my dad giving it to him. He then told me that dad and my stepmum had already approved his plan of proposing tonight."

A parent's wedding, especially with their approval, is on the short list of exceptions to the "don't propose at peoples' weddings" rule.

Yeah so like she's NTA honestly because she was acting in good faith. It sucks that the surprised was ruined but it is what it is.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for pointing out the receptionist’s racist attitude during a job interview?

Well, I probably shot myself in the foot by bringing this up during a job interview, but at the moment I felt like I had to say something.

I had an interview at a firm this morning. When I arrived in the building lobby, I called the firm’s receptionist to ask if there is someone I should meet at the lobby. She told me to go ahead and check in with the security. She told me security should have my name and will issue me a visitor pass and elevator access.

When I walked into the firm reception area, I introduced myself to the receptionist, who then greeted me with a look of surprise. She said she was expecting a white person instead of asian because of the way I sounded on the phone. I was weirded out by this, to be honest, but I kept my mouth shut. She then asked me to have a seat in the waiting area. She asked if I’d like some water or coffee or tea, to which I politely declined. And then she said, “Oh we can have one of our boys run down to get some bubble tea for you.”

Even though I know she meant well, the entirety of the exchange made me very uncomfortable. During lunch with one of the interviewers, he asked me what my impression of the firm was based on what I’ve seen and heard throughout the day. I told him very honestly what my impressions were, but at the moment, I felt the need to tell him about the very awkward conversation I had with the receptionist. It really truly was awkward, and made the end of the lunch a bit awkward as well. He apologized on her behalf and said he would follow-up with that receptionist.

Now I feel kind of bad for bringing it up, not only because it might hurt my chances, but it might also get the receptionist in trouble.

TL;DR: I had an exchange with a somewhat racist receptionist this morning at a job interview. I brought this up with an interviewer and now feel bad about it.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah so like she's NTA honestly because she was acting in good faith. It sucks that the surprised was ruined but it is what it is.

Right, good on her for looking out for her dad. She couldn't have known otherwise, and it's just an unfortunate situation with no apparent bad actors.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling a guy in my JiuJitsu class it was ok if he touched my boobs?

As a beautiful man I am often approached by women who do not respect the sanctity of my marriage to my husband or the many commitments I have with partners I haven't told my husband about, but assume he would be cool with and therefore does not need to be bored with the details. I too study the martial arts in order to defend myself, and appreciate this woman's commitment to the craft. I hope that we shall someday spar.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for killing a butterfly in my office that one of my co-workers believed it was her dead mother?

rediculous

This misspelling is absolutely one of my pet peeves. Thank you for reading.

MarcusSA posted:

How the gently caress can you hate butterflies??

Like.... that has to make you a sociopath on some test right??

YTA just for that.

Seriously. There is this butterfly place in key west my wife and kids wanted to go to and I'm like "yeah, sure....whatever" and I started walking through and a horde of butterflies basically accosted me and I'm like "okay, this place is basically magic I now love it". Who hates butterflies? It's not possible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I hate butterflies and flowers are just jezebel plants.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

After all the poo poo we've seen parents pull in this thread and you don't think you should check in with the bride and groom no matter what the parents say ?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

MrQwerty posted:

hell yeah albuquerque isnt the property crime capital of the southwest for nothing

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

mllaneza posted:

After all the poo poo we've seen parents pull in this thread and you don't think you should check in with the bride and groom no matter what the parents say ?
The parents are the bride and groom.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Motronic posted:

Seriously. There is this butterfly place in key west my wife and kids wanted to go to and I'm like "yeah, sure....whatever" and I started walking through and a horde of butterflies basically accosted me and I'm like "okay, this place is basically magic I now love it". Who hates butterflies? It's not possible.

Google "mud puddling".

It's when butterflies find a sauce of water, salt or nutrients in unusual places. Such as a puddle on the ground, or leaf mulch.

Or human skin. Or eyes.

I can tell you that being stabbed in the eye by a butterfly really loving hurts, no matter how innocent their intentions.

EDIT: Okay, this is genuinely weird coincidence. Just opened up a bunch of my daily read bookmarks, and the Earth Science Picture of the Day site has a thing on mud-puddling.

They're watching me :tinfoil:

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 27, 2019

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Problem: She obviously didn't know that until she'd already told him to cut it out. (EDIT: I missed your other post, yeah, what you said. Awkward all around!)

Also christ, don't be all HINT HINT I AM GOING TO PROPOSE and then "it's supposed to be a surprise :(", it would not have been a surprise even if she was up for it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Barudak posted:

Its true, at least according to their data. The four questions you must agree on for a lasting marriage are

1) It would be fun to live in a houseboat
2) I could have fun travelling to a foreign country by myself
3) I like horror movies
4) I would propose at a wedding

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

She's clearly just someone who has felt the sting of THE MIGHTY MONARCH

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Maybe Dr. Girlfriend is upset about the breakup.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm just glad the prostitute who escaped his labyrinth has turned her life around.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Pinecone Sample posted:

this is beautiful

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

If dead things inhabit butterflies, and he killed the butterfly, I guess that means that soul will shunt itself to the next butterfly in queue?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

If dead things inhabit butterflies, and he killed the butterfly, I guess that means that soul will shunt itself to the next butterfly in queue?

Nah you go down and wait in another, lesser creature like a wool moth until a butterfly opens back up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xik posted:

Reddit's hypocrisy is so loving transparent it's ridiculous. When a woman cheats in these stories it's "how would you feel, wouldn't you want to know if your wife cheated on you, divorce her and get the kid and money", but all the tops posts in this one are calling the OP an rear end in a top hat and they should stay out of it. The guy "learnt his lesson", "you'd be destroying a family", "he's you're brother", "he regrets it" etc etc.

It's literally right after someone asking if they should out a Ftm trans person dating their brother and everyone is "NTA your brother deserves to know the truth you need to tell him NOW"

I knew it reddit was a mash of fake threads, circle jerk reaction stories etc. but seeing those back to back was like a textbook red flag for toxic behavior.

edit: They are barely off the same screen when scrolling.

Seriously? Reddit must be what? 95% straight white men? This is insane.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 27, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I absolutely would tell someones partner they cheated on them regardless of gender.

The transgender one makes me curious how good FtM surgery because I guess I rudely assumed when their pants come off thered be some sort of clue and that OP is a moron for assuming the brother doesnt know.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Rate flying bugs from best to worst:

Butterflies
Ladybugs
Dragonflies
Moths
Bees
Gnats
Preying Mantis
Crickets
Beetles
Flying Ants
Cicadas
Flies
Wasps
Mosquitos
Flying Termites
Horse Flies

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Barudak posted:

I absolutely would tell someones partner they cheated on them regardless of gender.

The transgender one makes me curious how good FtM surgery because I guess I rudely assumed when their pants come off thered be some sort of clue and that OP is a moron for assuming the brother doesnt know.

yes, it's very rare for FtM to have any form of "bottom surgery", it's just not very effective yet compared with MtF. It's my understanding that in surgical terms it's relatively easy to invert a penis into a vagina and surgeons have plenty of spare tissue from the area (including mucous membranes) for the external parts, while constructing a penis from basically nothing and having to re-purpose non musous-membrane tissue from elsewhere in the body is really really hard. Even in those few that do get surgery it's not going to be mistaken for a male-at-birth individual. Unless they haven't got that far in the physical side of things the guy definitely knows and is on board with it. Even if he didn't he should butt out, Trans* people have to be extremely careful with when/what they tell their partners not just for emotional reasons but because of the risk of getting loving murdered.

Never ever ever out trans people; even in some hypothetical psycho edge case like a non-out MtF person is stringing a partner along with attempts to get pregnant or some poo poo, just confront them in private and if they refuse to stop make up a plausible lie ("they had a hysterectomy for medical reasons" or some poo poo) rather than outing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Sierra Nevadan posted:

Rate flying bugs from best to worst:

Butterflies
Ladybugs
Dragonflies
Moths
Bees
Gnats
Preying Mantis
Crickets
Beetles
Flying Ants
Cicadas
Flies
Wasps
Mosquitos
Flying Termites
Horse Flies

Ah I see someone has never walked in the mountains in summer and encountered midges. I'd rate them as worse than mosquitoes but not as bad as horse flies (never encountered flying termites), they are tiny, biting flies that come in vast numbers and are impossible to escape.

Also Hornets, all the worst parts of a wasp but twice as aggressive and 5 times the size

((Also, Ladybugs are a kind of beetle :eng101:))