Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

WhatEvil posted:

Me and Verizian already came up with combining the waterslide job and the biogas job and propelling people poo poo slides with jets of hot pressurised methane towards a waiting vat of bubbling poo poo.

Good luck with your journalism career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Look into your heart - two weeks into a NDB and the shortages are going to start biting, who are the jackals going to blame?

In any order:

1. The last Labour government.
2. Remoaners
3. Those talking Britane down.
4. Jeremy Corbyn.

The one truly innocent group in all this are the rabid, frothy-mouthed, xenophobic brexiteers.

(for the avoidance of doubt, this is sarcasm).

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
This is my new Brexit UK theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MBrEPUZh-U

Fits almost perfectly

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blind guardian is good though.

90's britpop is much more appropriate imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB-tnUqLHyg

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

Well you guys are making me optimistic about my current job search in Ottawa.

I've applied for three jobs so far:

Water Slide designer
Biogas digester designer
Kitchen manufcaturing designer/project co-ordinator.

I figured that designing water slides would be cool, with the next best thing being designing tanks for pressurised poo poo and mouldy vegetable matter, and then designing kitchens as a last resort.

Haven't heard anything back yet, mind.

I lived in Toronto for two years and it was very easy to stumble into a job, even as an unskilled worker. Not sure how much it holds up in Ottawa and three years later, but it was decent enough that when my first employer said they couldn't give me time off to visit my family I was confident enough to say "okay bye then"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In any order:

1. The last Labour government.
2. Remoaners
3. Those talking Britane down.
4. Jeremy Corbyn.

The one truly innocent group in all this are the rabid, frothy-mouthed, xenophobic brexiteers.

(for the avoidance of doubt, this is sarcasm).

Don't forget workshy scroungers, or the disabled!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Actually they'll just blame the EU

Then they'll ask for a referendum to go to war against Germany or something

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I have trouble believing that even the Tories are stupid enough to plan an election immediately after Brexit. It’ll either be before it or as far after it as possible.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
On the contrary, having an election right after brexit is genius: people can't vote if they're rioting over desperately avoiding starvation, after all.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Daily reminder that ALAB and Mao was right

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10219980726974469&id=1411683483

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

It'll take a bit after Brexit before the full horror of what we've just done becomes apparent. Directly after Brexit is the best time for an election: Brexiting neuters BXP and everything that the last 3 years have been about politically becomes completely irrelevant in terms of further discussion, so then the brave Tories can say "Isn't that great, look how triumphant we are! We delivered Brexit and Jaromy Crobyn was trying to stop it because he's an Enemy Of The People. Now we can afford to fund our police and hospitals and schools with all of this NEW MONEY* and we have RECORD EMPLOYMENT** and THE BREXIT DIVIDEND*** and MORE POLICE****".

*That isn't actually new and comes from savings which we told them they all had to make but couldn't spend and now we'll let them spend *some* of it.
**If you include people working at least 1 hour per 12 years.
***Which we'll definitely be getting any time now as soon as we have a new trade deal with America who definitely won't ratfuck us into being a vassal state.
****Which still won't bring us back to the levels we had before austerity, which, by the way, will be continuing.

Then the Tories will be in power for another definite 5 years thanks to the FTPA and they'll get to do DOUBLE-TIME CRONY CAPITALISM powered by Brexit whilst Scotland leaves the union and Ireland reunites and everything falls to poo poo and people starve and die due to foodborne illness from chlorinated chicken and medication shortages and turbo-austerity and rising temperatures. Then everything will go ultra-fash and the Tories will get even more votes the next time around and we'll genocide all the climate refugees and everything will be just fantastic.

But it's cool because I'm in Canada where there's also rising fascism including a new Federal neo-nazi party that's just been set up, and also we have all of the business interests from America bearing down on us and new oil pipelines being built and poo poo, and the main parties are the Liberals and the Conservatives who are both poo poo and both polling at ~33%, and there's the NDP who I think are cool and good but they're polling at 13% for the upcoming Federal election. But hey at least house prices here aren't totally mental yet (unless you want to live in Toronto or Vancouver with the rest of the country currently catching up).

loving balls.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 28, 2019

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Urgh, all this job hunting and Brexit talk is making me fesr graduating this June, gonna be hosed finding a job even if brexit is stopped I dont doubt.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

radmonger posted:

I do not consent to the risk of becoming an extra in a disaster movie.

Just pretend you're the main character in some rubbish book or tv show, so all the bad poo poo that happens to you is at least providing the audience some catharsis. That's how I get through the day.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

When I moved to Vancouver I applied for exactly one job and got offered exactly one job, so uh... There's that? It's a job I'm simultaneously over AND under qualified for though so it's a kind of unique situation. You never know what weird niche opportunities will pop up.

I can't decide what's bumming me out more these days, the whole Brexit debacle or the planet burning to death. I really hope Boris snaps and calls an election so at least I can feel like I'm doing SOMETHING by voting against him, if I can work out how to vote from overseas...

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

WhatEvil posted:

Me and Verizian already came up with combining the waterslide job and the biogas job and propelling people poo poo slides with jets of hot pressurised methane towards a waiting vat of bubbling poo poo.

No that one was all on you, I just suggested combining your career prospects.

Like maybe look into siege warfare and design a shitcannon?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Imo go out and do Labour stuff today if you can, right now, today. Even just convince people at work or wherever. There is an election coming.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

crispix posted:

Imo go out and do Labour stuff today if you can, right now, today. Even just convince people at work or wherever. There is an election coming.

Is something important happening today?

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
btw can anyone tell me why all high streets look like rear end? There’s not an aesthetically pleasing place to shop (or get non corporate chain poo poo) outside of London

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Chuka Umana posted:

btw can anyone tell me why all high streets look like rear end? There’s not an aesthetically pleasing place to shop (or get non corporate chain poo poo) outside of London

The money is all in London

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

"Aesthetically pleasing" is kind of subjective, mind. Like, I reckon Barry town centre looks pretty good, all things considered. But I'm also not expecting someone to cross half the country to shop there.

Then again I always thought Swansea city centre looked all right while my parents hate it, so maybe I'm not the best judge :shrug:.

I understand good things are happening in Preston?

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 28, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The bit in Manchester with the fountains is aesthetically pleasing.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/posthamster/status/1166477024308973574?s=19

Can we have this graun article header in the OP? Literally sums up 3 years of brexit.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Chuka Umana posted:

It's got plenty of corporate chain poo poo, but you'd be hard pressed to argue Princes Street isn't aesthetically pleasing:

Bonus, from the novel-not-the-film Marathon Man:

quote:

It was growing dark quickly, but Princes Street remained the most beautiful thoroughfare imaginable; nothing else in Edinburgh compared with it, nothing else in Scotland, nor Britain nor Europe nor this or any other world. It was a gift from the Almighty, as if someone had taken all the finest shops on Fifth Avenue and set them across from Central Park but then, instead of having it just be any old greenery, had made a great hill hundreds of feet high, topped off by a mighty gingerbread castle. If you had to pick a street to die on, you couldn't beat Princes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Niric posted:

Bonus, from the novel-not-the-film Marathon Man:

loving hell, was that from the point-of-view of someone who was incredibly dumb anad had no taste?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Leicester city centre is certainly nothing special but it's not horrible either, and the bit around Highcross is actually pretty nice since they pedestrianised a chunk of it about a decade ago.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I agree about St. Peter's Square looking nice. Cathedral gardens not too terrible either.

Leicester's town hall is poo poo though, and the new city hall is in an abandoned snooker hall lol.

Like I can understand it isn't going to be as grand as Manchester's or Birmingham's, but when loving Nottingham is running rings around you in the civic architecture game something's gone very wrong.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yes - Nottingham has been permitted to exist.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Paul.Power posted:

"Aesthetically pleasing" is kind of subjective, mind. Like, I reckon Barry town centre looks pretty good, all things considered. But I'm also not expecting someone to cross half the country to shop there.

Then again I always thought Swansea city centre looked all right while my parents hate it, so maybe I'm not the best judge :shrug:.

I understand good things are happening in Preston?

Swansea is best viewed from Mumbles. Up close it's a proper dump.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calenda...eklyemailevents

Lol who the gently caress is going to pay a tenner to listen to Chuka talk about himself? Oh and the questions have to be emailed in advance, of course.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I heard a couple moaning about how dead a high street was once as they walked down it her with a Costa drink and him with a Greggs paper bag.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Samovar posted:

loving hell, was that from the point-of-view of someone who was incredibly dumb anad had no taste?

I'm no Edinburgh stan, on account of Glasgow's better, but the Prince's Street stretch is pretty nice.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Swansea is best viewed from Mumbles. Up close it's a proper dump.

Portsmouth looks pretty good from the top of Portsdown Hill, less so from in town. Though I have to say, incorporating a lot of the old royal navy buildings into the Gunnwharf Quays development was a pretty good idea

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Welp

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/bbcnickrobinson/status/1166618675803303939

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

This is surely going to kick off. It's basically a coup?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
They would hold an election after they have forced this through?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I keep thinking "I should take some time off from the news for my mental health" and then we ratchet up to still higher levels of chaos armageddon and I can't look away. It's like the call of the Sirens but instead of irresistible sexual beauty it's just BoJo making GBS threads himself and making the country eat his rear end.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

GOOD THING THE LIBDEMS HAVE BEEN PISSING ABOUT ON A TECHNICALITY

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Bacon Terrorist posted:

They would hold an election after they have forced this through?

not unless they're no-confidence'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

coffeetable posted:

not unless they're no-confidence'd

Which they can't be, because Parliament isn't sitting.