Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

prorogue makes VONC more likely imo but yeah also parliament is not gonna save us from parliament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

help me, a dumbass, understand - does this mean that they've officially requested the queen perogue parliament and now we're just waiting on Liz to Activate?

That's it in a nutshell, yes.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
We should start rioting now while the shops are full of food

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sexpig by night posted:

hey I know as the american with the original big wet fascist I've got the thinnest glass house around me when I say this but still, lol cool system of governance ya got there.

The USA constantly jerks itself off that it has the greatest foundational legal document in the history of nation-states, yet it is hilariously broken racist and dumb. The UK neatly circumvents this by having no foundational text whatsoever, and Parliament functions as a result of "this will be fine" enshrined in statutes

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

That would be amazing if you did, because then this guy would become the King of England, Prince of Bavaria and (actively ruling) Prince of Liechtenstein if the line of succession held.

I love these rabbit holes.

Why do all Royals look simultaneously 14 and 40 in their 20's?

I know the answer is centuries of inbreeding but I need more technical answers.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Junior G-man posted:

Apologies, Duke of Bavaria.

I mean they abolished the nobility.

constitution of the free state of Bavaria posted:

Titles of nobility shall only be considered parts of the name, they may no longer be conferred and can no longer be acquired by adoption

It's just a name now

brb changing my name to Arch-Marquis of Munich

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

sexpig by night posted:

so just for clarity with the current state of things, does bojo still have until some time in October to get a brexit deal before the EU just says 'ok gently caress it, hard brexit we're done with this poo poo'? Is that what this scam is, just shut parliament down so there's no choice but 'aw gee the evil EU is FORCING us to do this'?

No, the EU's position doesn't change at all. They're pretty much done with this poo poo and waiting to see what emerges from Tzeentch's convoluted schemes across the Channel, but they're not gonna pull the plug early because that wouldn't be legal, and the EU :love: doing poo poo by the book.

The BoJo scheme is to prorogue Parliament past the point of no return, because any extension past Halloween would depend on mutual agreement between the UK government, EU Council and EU Parliament. If the UK government doesn't request an extension, and the Parliament is prorogued so it can't force the government's hand, then the default is the only viable path. And the EU :love: doing poo poo by the book.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

We should start rioting now while the shops are full of food

We should start rioting now whilst we're still in the loving EU.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

I mean they abolished the nobility.

Yeah but they still got all the fancy houses and capital, and you'd be deeply wrong if you think these guys don't have a huge say and impact in politics anymore.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Jo Swinson must feel like she’s in an episode of the Thick of It (even more than usual). Spends weeks hammering away against a Corbyn opposition government, and finally hits upon “pass legislation” as the one possible counter that might just barely look publically acceptable and hard for her opponents to oppose. Rallies the other small parties to that banner, forcing Corbyn to acquiesce. Victory for Jo, hooray.

And then today Boris prorogues parliament blocking any chance of getting legislation passed in time, and its straight back to VONC or death.

Hilarious

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Pesky Splinter posted:

Also Swinson gonna Swinson.

Yeah it's quite telling that the Lib Dems' apparent increase in popularity goes hand in hand with her doing more to prop up the Tories. I have friends who get upset that we'd suggest that the Lib Dems would do this based on the past, but there's no indication they would do anything but roll over for them. Of course they'll try and look like they're opposing the tories but their way achieves nothing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Junior G-man posted:

No, the EU's position doesn't change at all. They're pretty much done with this poo poo and waiting to see what emerges from Tzeentch's convoluted schemes across the Channel, but they're not gonna pull the plug early because that wouldn't be legal, and the EU :love: doing poo poo by the book.

The BoJo scheme is to prorogue Parliament past the point of no return, because any extension past Halloween would depend on mutual agreement between the UK government, EU Council and EU Parliament. If the UK government doesn't request an extension, and the Parliament is prorogued so it can't force the government's hand, then the default is the only viable path.

yea sorry that's what I mean, the EU won't budge from it's 'dude we've done this like five times already, poo poo or get off the pot' stance any more without some pretty big negotiation between parliament proper and them and bojo's just driving the bus into the wall as fast as possible. I was more asking if there's any tory attempts to spin this as 'well the EU won't give us a sixth shot at this so really this is their fault' or is the entire party pretty well in lockstep of 'yea gently caress it hard brexit is cool now' by now?

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

brb changing my name to Arch-Marquis of Munich

bring the aristocracy bang up to date: Marquis-Mark of Munich

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

We need to track down a godwin

:godwin:

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

She's such a posturing loving waste of oxygen.

I know there's much, much more interesting and important things going on right now, but Jess Phillips's schtick is just so loving irritating. Literally "I am a sensible adult and this issue can only be sorted by me, the sensible adult, talking like a sensible adult." It's smug and vacuous to the point of self-parody, and what's most annoying is that a lot of otherwise clever people absolutely lap it up as being the mightiest political discourse

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

tory attempts to spin this as 'well the EU won't give us a sixth shot at this so really this is their fault' or is the entire party pretty well in lockstep of 'yea gently caress it hard brexit is cool now' by now?

These two paths have been the entire BoJo communication strategy since he took over.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Junior G-man posted:

These two paths have been the entire BoJo communication strategy since he took over.

well...have fun with that I guess! Cool to see that the global rise of far right psychos has become a race to see who can gently caress their country up first. We've got a good lead on you guys but it seems your guy has some pro-strats to close the gap.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

bring the aristocracy bang up to date: Marquis-Mark of Munich

Marquis-Monster of Munch. Good mates with the Earl of Sandwich :v:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Boris has drastically reduced the time available to parliament in the next two months.

Fubpees: "let's force parliament to squeeze in another useless debate in the next few weeks!"

Pesky Splinter posted:

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1166631844655304704

I'm massively skeptical of Boris losing a VONC - Tories gonna Tory, after all. Also Swinson gonna Swinson.

The maximum chaos outcome would the government losing an initial vote due to Tory abstentions, Corybn not getting enough votes for an interim government, then a couple of spineless tories flip and vote confidence in Boris again before the 2 weeks are up. I'm fully expecting to see this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Why do all Royals look simultaneously 14 and 40 in their 20's?

I know the answer is centuries of inbreeding but I need more technical answers.
The traditional way of creating a Royal was breeding a 40 year old with a 14 year old. Prince Andrew was very interested.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

We need to track down a godwin

We already have one making laws relevant to our society.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Since everyone seems to just be doing whatever the gently caress they want to now, Corbs should challenge Boris to 1on1 combat in the commons.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

xtothez posted:

The maximum chaos outcome would the government losing an initial vote due to Tory abstentions, Corybn not getting enough votes for an interim government, then a couple of spineless tories flip and vote confidence in Boris again before the 2 weeks are up. I'm fully expecting to see this.

Yeah if a VONC happens this'll be the outcome

We should really really be all moving away huh

There's gonna be a legit diaspora in a couple decades lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Too bad the 50m Irish diaspora has cornered the pub market, you'll have to find your own thing.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Too bad the 50m Irish diaspora has cornered the pub market, you'll have to find your own thing.

Well, my chimney does need sweeping, if anyone of you has an adorable street urchin accent?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hentai Jihadist posted:

This is easier said than done.

EU gonna be patrolling the Channel intercepting our rafts trying to make it to the detention centres at Calais...

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Hentai Jihadist posted:

don't worry, tons of us are stuck here

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Pie Shoppes

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

well...have fun with that I guess! Cool to see that the global rise of far right psychos has become a race to see who can gently caress their country up first. We've got a good lead on you guys but it seems your guy has some pro-strats to close the gap.

We voted Brexit before you lot voted Trump. My (American) wife said she knew the moment the referendum result came out that he was going to become President.

(I also remember the US pol thread earnestly assuring me that while my country might be insane and hosed up there was no way America was that stupid, Hilary had it on lock)

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1166704804690898945?s=19

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
So... anyone know how hard it is to move to Poland if your spouse is Polish?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

We (UK diaspora) should simply invade Irish pubs peacefully.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CyberPingu posted:

Since everyone seems to just be doing whatever the gently caress they want to now, Corbs should challenge Boris to 1on1 combat in the commons.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Curry houses. We've got all the recipes now.

Niric posted:

We (UK diaspora) should simply invade Irish pubs peacefully.
Also this.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Niric posted:

I know there's much, much more interesting and important things going on right now, but Jess Phillips's schtick is just so loving irritating. Literally "I am a sensible adult and this issue can only be sorted by me, the sensible adult, talking like a sensible adult." It's smug and vacuous to the point of self-parody, and what's most annoying is that a lot of otherwise clever people absolutely lap it up as being the mightiest political discourse

Its the constant insertion of herself that does it I think. She talks like an apprentice contestant. Every sentence contains self promotion. She couldn't look outside and say "The Sky is blue" without it coming out as "I went outside and I noticed the sky is blue."

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

Of course my computer would absolutely poo poo itself the day of a constitutional crisis

This but losing my phone :negative:

I pride myself on not being a phone-loser and now my sterling reputation is tarnished forever

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Trump now tweeting directly about Corbyn.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1166706175003545600

This cartoon grows ever closer to reality.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Niric posted:

It's the sort of vacuous poo poo that the media classes lap up so they can point and say, "Oh for it to be 2012 when the sensible people were in charge and we didn't have to pretend to know about austerity."

Her authentocracy poo poo irritates me more, "Oh bab, I'm working class I am, I know what it's like working in t'politics mine with me ma an' pa. Can't trust that Jerm'y Corbyn, mind." *doffs cap to Reece-Mogg*

xtothez posted:

Given how things have been going, and we're in the worst timeline, I can see this going down.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

feedmegin posted:

We voted Brexit before you lot voted Trump. My (American) wife said she knew the moment the referendum result came out that he was going to become President.

(I also remember the US pol thread earnestly assuring me that while my country might be insane and hosed up there was no way America was that stupid, Hilary had it on lock)

man I actually memory hole'd that. I forgot he was all 'THEY'LL CALL ME MR BREXIT' and poo poo and congratulating Scotland on voting leave....welp once again America is just half-assed cosplaying England then.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Archaeology Hat posted:

So... anyone know how hard it is to move to Poland if your spouse is Polish?

lol at trying to escape a fascist take over by moving to Poland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Love UK.

Is that Chukas new party?