Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Country hosed, so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
So Morrissey was right all along

the queen is dead boys

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

thespaceinvader posted:

VONC VONC VONC i scream as i shrink and etc

At this point we're not going to be able to stop this without a revolution, are we?

We're so hosed.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
The New York Times had one of those “look how pathetic Britain is” articles last year where they took pictures of a bunch of miserable looking poor people celebrating the queen’s whatever the gently caress anniversary and it was the saddest thing ever

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

It's time like this I hold.my NZ work visa close

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Still waiting for Sinn Fein to ask for a meeting with Brenda.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

wow, what will they put on the leaflets now? Seriously her relative ability to pretend she's a human being has been the main thing getting people to vote for the Scottish Tories from the looks of how much they push her in publicity, what kind of dingus is going to replace her and who is going to like them remotely

if her resignation speech is 90% invective toward Boris then she might have some kind of reputation left but really what has been the point of her

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chuka Umana posted:

The New York Times had one of those “look how pathetic Britain is” articles last year where they took pictures of a bunch of miserable looking poor people celebrating the queen’s whatever the gently caress anniversary and it was the saddest thing ever

"lol at you fools worshipping your ancient imperial mum while I, the intellectual, worship the systemic annihilation of humanity starting from the metaphysical and working back towards the material in the name of making number go bigger"

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

More AI fun:

quote:

The Queen has agreed to Boris Johnson's request to prorogue parliament for one week over her "exhortations." However, David Cameron is determined to hold on to the throne, insisting that it will "not change the fact that I feel very strongly about it". In the clip, Johnson said he had no control over whether he'd be allowed in the building. "The House of Lords has never held a referendum and I think there's a good chance that they will not, in two weeks' time. That's what I'd like to do, which is to let Boris prorogue it with no fuss and no fuss will a very, very good result and we're all totally hosed.

https://www.ai21.com/haim

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Rust Martialis posted:

Still waiting for Sinn Fein to ask for a meeting with Brenda.

"Jaysus, if we knew it was this easy to destroy the UK we would have been round sooner Liz"

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Chuka Umana posted:

So Morrissey was right all along

the queen is dead boys

You really don't want Morrissey to be right about the future of British politics.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mokotow posted:

Sorry, non-native speaker here. What the hell is “she’ll have been”? As in, it’ll happen in the future that she will be seen as being forced to do it in the past?

Future perfect continuous

We use the future perfect continuous form when we are looking back to the past from a point in the future and we want to emphasise the length or duration of an activity or event:

Failed Imagineer posted:

????

Love to criticise imaginary people for the things they will hypothetically do in the future because reasons

I will have been critical of the imaginary people because reasons.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Do we get rid of the monarchy now???

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

https://twitter.com/HackedOffHugh/status/1166740030947287040?s=20

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

I am shocked and appalled at people joking about killing our Royals. I have always suggested instead forcing them to live on a council estate in Doncaster instead where their lives are filmed 24 hours a day.

Tonight on Keeping Up With The Royals, an emotional reunion as Harry joins Andrew in prison following his sentence for stealing a washing line after his last benefit sanction, and Phil causes the fire brigade to be called out to his bungalow again after an unsuccessful attempt to prepare a Fray Bentos pie and Happy Shopper tinned potatoes for Liz's birthday.

Good news Crispy

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Looke posted:

no of course not.

I imagine most fubpees will run to the final conclusion that the only way Brexit can be stopped is through a return of an absolute monarch.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Looke posted:

Lol they're already trying to absolve the billionaire thousand year old woman by saying she had no choice.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

QExit II

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

The Graun, while condemning this particular BoJo move, just can't keep helping themselves to a fat rail of rules lawyering:

quote:

Hyperbole is inevitable at times of political stress and it is true that Mr Johnson is pushing the UK into a constitutional crisis. But to properly assess the gravity of the situation it helps also to keep it in perspective. This is a cynical, premeditated blow against the principle of parliamentary democracy but it is not a total subversion of the constitutional order on a par with a military putsch. The prime minister is exhibiting the irresponsible arrogance of which he has long been known capable. But he is also operating within the technical parameters of what the British political system allows in all its archaic peculiarity.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/28/the-guardian-view-on-proroguing-parliament-an-affront-to-democracy

Also please ask more questions about wtf you're still doing with all that 'archaic particularity'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If Corbyn can pass a VONC is there anything that stops him also passing, or even including, a directive to seek an extension to do an election?

Like a: this parliament has no confidence in the prime minister and b: the prime minister must go and ask for an extension from the EU for <x> time?

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

I wonder how many of the people currently melting down about the prorogue will quietly vote Tory at the next GE.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
American hear. Does holding a queen's speech actually involve the queen giving a speech, and is it related to what the speech was called for?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

If Corbyn can pass a VONC is there anything that stops him also passing, or even including, a directive to seek an extension to do an election?

The LibDems and CUKTIG won't vote for it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Junior G-man posted:

The LibDems and CUKTIG won't vote for it.

I would suggest that that would be covered by "if he can pass a VONC"

I am asking if there is a specific parliamentary rules reason why we could pass a VONC but not a necessary subsequent piece of legislation to actually have an election.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Angepain posted:

wow, what will they put on the leaflets now?

Vote for the Team Formerly Known as Ruth's

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Ralepozozaxe posted:

American hear. Does holding a queen's speech actually involve the queen giving a speech, and is it related to what the speech was called for?

The Queen does a speech to open a new session of parliament, it is written by the existing government laying out the legislation they will table in the session.

The only thing unusual with this one is the timing, which is explicitly to prevent parliament voting down a no deal brexit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The queen's speech is the formal opening of parliament for (usually) the year.

It does, in fact, involve the queen giving an actual speech, prepared by parliament, laying out a general "this is what we'd like to do this year"

Prorogation is the closing of parliament at the end of the session, which theresa may had staunchly avoided doing during her premiership because she wasn't sure she could convince her near non existent government to open it again :v:

Which is why boris is doing it now to be a knob.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Junior G-man posted:

no of course not.

I imagine most fubpees will run to the final conclusion that the only way Brexit can be stopped is through a return of an absolute monarch.

Ken Clarke for King!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Opening and closing parliament is basically a tradition and doesn't really need to happen as evidenced by the fact that May just didn't do it. Although it does happen during an election and passing a queen's speech is basically the mechanism by which a government is cemented as it demonstrates their majority.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
To all Americans who are just learning about the worlds best Parliament.

The heavy stick in the middle of the commons is the Queen

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man, that inevitable VONC is going to be loving nail-biting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I once again recommend the only good thing cameron put his name to (though brown commissioned it) and that's the big book of how 2 parliament that came out during the coalition.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/60641/cabinet-manual.pdf

Chapter one gives a quite good overview of how the queen is the powerhouse of the parliament.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Necrothatcher posted:

Man, that inevitable VONC is going to be loving nail-biting.

Bojo will waste a review and Jezza will keep hammering the Tories until Mcdonennell comes out of nowhere to secure the vital votes

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lmao did she unquit ?

https://twitter.com/BBCScotlandNews/status/1166755917435740160?s=19

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Total Meatlove posted:

\
The heavy stick in the middle of the commons is the Queen

Also, if you steal the stick, you steal the Queen's soul and no business may be conducted until her phylactery is restored.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fool, you cannot merely steal the queen, you have to pick the queen up and do the magic dance, and also fight the old lady with the sword whose job it is to stop you doing the dance.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Fool, you cannot merely steal the queen, you have to pick the queen up and do the magic dance, and also fight the old lady with the sword whose job it is to stop you doing the dance.

Oh yeah, you do gotta fight the Black Rod.

Blacked or the British Parliament? You decide.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait I thought Black Rod was the huge guy or was the little old lady covering for him that day?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You can't talk about the opening of parliament without bringing up the crazy theatre around it where the Lords kidnap an MP and the Commons are effectively forced to go to the Lords chamber to hear the speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Good.