Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Graduated undergrad 2 years ago at 28. Often feels like I finally got my poo poo together only for the world to go straight to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Casimir Radon posted:

Graduated undergrad 2 years ago at 28. Often feels like I finally got my poo poo together only for the world to go straight to hell.

Micro awesome, macro horrifying is something you get used to. Just lean into the cognitive dissonance.

We've got an Entrepeneurship course, with a group project that takes the entire semester, creating an entire business plan. My teammates keep thinking "man this idea is good enough we can actually open this", and while it's nice I keep asking if they know any millionaires because that's how businesses start

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gray Matter posted:

Computer science cause I'm a great big nerd

That's good poo poo to learn.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

GD_American posted:

Micro awesome, macro horrifying is something you get used to. Just lean into the cognitive dissonance.

We've got an Entrepeneurship course, with a group project that takes the entire semester, creating an entire business plan. My teammates keep thinking "man this idea is good enough we can actually open this", and while it's nice I keep asking if they know any millionaires because that's how businesses start

Not really true. The point of entrepreneurship is to test and validate a hypothesis on a shoe string budget. The validation should then be used as support for further funding. Millionaires have the advantage of extra resources but that's not an insurmountable one.

The class is all about figuring out how to identify and reach your early adopters and then properly interview them for feedback to iterate. After that its foundational paperwork for fundraising and business discipline purposes.

We had plenty of ideas that didnt require a huge capex and there are plenty of opportunities if you have the time and drive.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I am 34 and re-taking Physics 2 like an rear end in a top hat

I will never have my poo poo together! Do you hear me? Never!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Yeah I’ll admit it’s mostly me being old and lovely and comfortable.

I wouldn’t risk any of my personal wealth beyond “borrowed too much on the credit cards, gonna take awhile to pay of” at this point. I also couldn’t quit my job to do it, and I just can’t do the two full time jobs thing anymore. I’m too old.

There’s also the thought that having seen their study habits and what they put into group assignments, I’m not wagering my future on a partnership with them. But I’m obviously not voicing that part.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

GD_American posted:

Yeah I’ll admit it’s mostly me being old and lovely and comfortable.

I wouldn’t risk any of my personal wealth beyond “borrowed too much on the credit cards, gonna take awhile to pay of” at this point. I also couldn’t quit my job to do it, and I just can’t do the two full time jobs thing anymore. I’m too old.

There’s also the thought that having seen their study habits and what they put into group assignments, I’m not wagering my future on a partnership with them. But I’m obviously not voicing that part.

Lol they're gonna cut you out when they get funding, grandpa

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
In one of my groups the young students were a bit upset we didnt have some cutting edge web app idea even when we pointed to our product viability, resource requirements, and proven size of market.

The class was a huge time investment for me as we were required to conduct 10-20 interviews with the majority being early adopters. So 5-10 hours of interviews, not including the time and effort spent finding them. I spent a weekend contacting people through instagram asking them what keeps them up at night when it comes to thier sport for our first round.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Lol they're gonna cut you out when they get funding, grandpa

I’d wish them luck.

Bless their hearts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

I am 34 and re-taking Physics 2 like an rear end in a top hat

I will never have my poo poo together! Do you hear me? Never!

Nah, that's not assholish at all. Lots of people have to retake phys 2 or calc 2. They're not easy classes. They're weed out classes for a lot of stem majors, and you get fed a lot of bullshit.

If you don't have a strong math background, you have to learn that on top of learning the actual calculations.

There's a formula for basically everything, though, and hearing everything the second time will be mostly refreshing your memory. You're going to come out with a high B to a low A out of your retake.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

drat bummer city in this thread

My cohort had a car salesman and a real estate agent in their 40s. It’s never too late wtf

Besides, outside of being a freshmen at a university because you could afford to skip junior college, the age range is pretty varied I feel. Though of course probably field dependent

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah, that's not assholish at all. Lots of people have to retake phys 2 or calc 2. They're not easy classes. They're weed out classes for a lot of stem majors, and you get fed a lot of bullshit.

If you don't have a strong math background, you have to learn that on top of learning the actual calculations.

There's a formula for basically everything, though, and hearing everything the second time will be mostly refreshing your memory. You're going to come out with a high B to a low A out of your retake.

lol yeah Physics 1 took two tries and Calc 2 took three. All my friends are telling me to chill about it as well
It's just embarrassing because I thought I was gonna be able to graduate after this summer but NOPE here I am for one more fall semester and I've already run into a bunch of people who were like "oh, thought you were done"
Summer session Physics 2 + lab was just plain too much too fast for me. At least I got the lab knocked out.
Edit: on top of that, it's my last 4 months of GI Bill, so a little bit more pressure to really not gently caress it up this time

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

drat bummer city in this thread

My cohort had a car salesman and a real estate agent in their 40s. It’s never too late wtf

Besides, outside of being a freshmen at a university because you could afford to skip junior college, the age range is pretty varied I feel. Though of course probably field dependent

There are honestly a ton of older students in my program (undergrad geology at a state flagship research school), including a handful that I know personally in their 30's. As much as I like to bitch and moan about how old I am, it's not a big deal irl

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 28, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I graduated at 35 this past December with my undergrad, not a big deal really. I’m just glad I lucked into a really good developmental position as a GIS Analyst at an ok payrate (~$52k per year) for entry level into my market & field.

I really need to get around to learning Python, etc. though since that would make my job much easier and be good for future advancement.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Just graduated undergrad at 34. Dont worry about when you finish. Just worry about if.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Flying_Crab posted:

I graduated at 35 this past December with my undergrad, not a big deal really. I’m just glad I lucked into a really good developmental position as a GIS Analyst at an ok payrate (~$52k per year) for entry level into my market & field.

I really need to get around to learning Python, etc. though since that would make my job much easier and be good for future advancement.

My R instructor got us Datacamp access for 6 months, there were plenty of good walkthroughs there. Realistically you need a course on the basics and then spend the rest of your time on stackoverflow and loving around with data.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I finished undergrad at, umm, 36 or something? It is a different experience than going in as a fresh-faced 19 year old right out of high school, but it's one that usually works in your favor. Chances are you're not there to be a party animal with your first taste of freedom walking into completely unknown social situation that's going to gently caress around with your learning experience. You're there to do the work and get the grades. That shows up A LOT in your work and professors will notice it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah I think a lot of us tried junior college much younger but simply didn’t care or just wanted to party.

I was the older veteran that wasn’t terrified to ask questions. People would seriously make me ask for them they were so scared of that brief confrontation.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

bird food bathtub posted:

I finished undergrad at, umm, 36 or something? It is a different experience than going in as a fresh-faced 19 year old right out of high school, but it's one that usually works in your favor. Chances are you're not there to be a party animal with your first taste of freedom walking into completely unknown social situation that's going to gently caress around with your learning experience. You're there to do the work and get the grades. That shows up A LOT in your work and professors will notice it.

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:
I went to school at 29 when I got out of the navy, it was very different for me compared to the 18 year olds in the cc. Was 37 when I finished my BSEE thanks to credit losses, going part time / working full time,etc. W/e, I made it.

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 29, 2019

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

On a scale of 1 to 10, how dumb i am for wanting to do an apprentiship once i retire or get out of the USCG?????

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
What apprenticeship and what's your goal?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I honestly don’t know. I mean I have 10 years left in the USCG until I retire or I decide I had enough and get out in 3 years.
So far my ideas are:
1) I will not get a GS job or work for the Feds.
2) I already have a BA in Chemistry, maybe I can get a Masters in Science of education and get a teaching license.
3) I can get an apprentice on… something. I mean I been manning a desk for 10 years and I have never done manual labor. I have been browsing this and getting ideas.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ElMaligno posted:

I honestly don’t know. I mean I have 10 years left in the USCG until I retire or I decide I had enough and get out in 3 years.
So far my ideas are:
1) I will not get a GS job or work for the Feds.
2) I already have a BA in Chemistry, maybe I can get a Masters in Science of education and get a teaching license.
3) I can get an apprentice on… something. I mean I been manning a desk for 10 years and I have never done manual labor. I have been browsing this and getting ideas.

Why not do a civil service job? That way your USCG time (if not retired) folds into your time-of-service and counts toward retirement, also determined how much vacation you get per year.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

What's with the GS hate? Come to Uncle Sam's soft warm giving bosom.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Why not do a civil service job? That way your USCG time (if not retired) folds into your time-of-service and counts toward retirement, also determined how much vacation you get per year.

I will keep this in mind.

GD_American posted:

No

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I’m completely down with GS or other state/local government work as long as I feel like I’m actually contributing to the benefit of humanity. Public service and what not, despite my clear distaste for our current executive.

Also benefits + job security. Use that sweet veteran’s preference.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GD_American posted:

Hard to switch from private industry to GS cost wise, at least for me and InfoSec people.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
GS jobs are legit awesome until dumb poo poo like shutdowns happen. I don’t see us getting any more rational, less tribal, and less divided anytime soon. So it’s definitely something to at least consider along with all the awesome GS bennies.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

GD_American posted:

Interned with a very very interesting group. The pay was not commensurate to driving out to the California desert for a summer to intern there. And the promised pay for a full time job was even less competitive. It was even on the NH scale instead of the GS scale.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Get you a GS job in an agency whose budget isn't affected by shutdowns. :getin:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

i got my reasons not to want a GS job

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'm at a loss for an apprenticeship in something chemistry heavy.

Otherwise there's machining, welding, carpentry, plumbing, painting which have a tentative relationship to proper chemistry? Unless I'm missing an obvious one.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Test, Adjust & Balance Technician seems like a proper fit for a nerd like me

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Hard to switch from private industry to GS cost wise, at least for me and InfoSec people.

Oh yeah if you're in an area where the pay isn't competitive, that's a reason.

ElMaligno posted:

i got my reasons not to want a GS job

You learn to appreciate the mediocrity. Especially when you shine like a diamond for doing what would just make you a normal employee in any other workplace :haw:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Got my first interview with a marketing company.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Soulex posted:

:toot:

You got this.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Soulex posted:

Knock em out dude

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
lmao a company sent me a "sorry, you're overqualified" email

Wtf I have basically never had a real job

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

lmao a company sent me a "sorry, you're overqualified" email

Wtf I have basically never had a real job

:chiefsay: RIP

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/2019/09/03/court-ruling-could-give-veterans-an-extra-year-of-gi-bill-benefits/

I think this was brought up elsewhere but does this mean that you can use 36 months Post 9/11 and then have 12 months of the MGIB afterward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If that ends up being true, at least three people I know are getting a pilot's license.

Hmmm. Diving cert or baking class?