Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

My sister(F22) ripped up my(F19) Stan Lee autograph and I haven't forgiven her even if my mom(46F) is pressuring me to, for families sake.

Should have put a spoiler on the ages for this one imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also, caffeine drinking kidney stone wife needs to be assessed for adhd. Self medicating with coffee until I got an ulcer when I went back to school was one of the big signs for me.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

DemoneeHo posted:

My sister(F22) ripped up my(F19) Stan Lee autograph and I haven't forgiven her even if my mom(46F) is pressuring me to, for families sake.

quote:

I made a post yesterday but forgot my password so I made a new alt.

Okay so I am a huge Marvel nerd. The kind of nerd that Cosplays, goes to cons and draws her own stuff. Mostly fanservice.

My sister ridicules my hobby saying that it's pathetic and "retarded". She claims I am delusional as a grown woman playing dress up.

Besides that we have a good relationship. We are not friends but sisters if that makes sense.

So 3 years ago I managed to safe up enough to go to a con in the USA and meet the real Stan Lee! He signed one of my own pictures I did of the big 3 and complimented it. It's was one of the best days of my life. Since then the signed picture has always been on my wall.

Flash forward. A few weeks ago my sister asks for my jacket and I tell her no. Reason being that she was a bitch to me the whole week. She pouted and I left the house.

When I come back is see my loving Stan Lee autograph ripped up on the flor! I loving lost it. Then my sister came in and started teasing me (look at that grown rear end woman crying over a piece of paper). When she saw that I was for real distressed she started saying that it was just a piece of paper that I can get a new one.

I pushed her out of my room and have been extremely short with her since. She tries to engage in conversation but I shoot her down. She tries to bribe me with movie tickets and I tell her to go with her boyfriend etc. She hasn't apologized for it. She just says that I should be over it by now.

My mom says the same. She says a materialistic things shouldn't come In between family and that I should simply let it go. My dad is also really mad at sister and by extention mom. He is as big on Marvel as me and he was livid when he found out. This whole ordeal is literally splitting our family apart.

My mother and sister think i am being unfair by not letting go and I think they both disrespected me. Mom is mad at dad for not "talking sense into me and taking my side" and dad is mad at mom for "failing to punish my sister and spoiling her"

I feel awfully guilty but also raging mad. Can somone help me with this?

Edit :thanks guys for listening to me. I feel a lot better. I will take what many of you said and I am going to send them examples of how much Stan Lee's autograph costs. But I think I have to word it very good so that they don't think that I would "split up the family over money"

:sever: a limb from the sister's body and beat her with it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pinecone Sample posted:

How do I (23F) respectfully break things off with a guy (31M) because he doesn't have his poo poo together? Or am I being too critical?

I know this was from pages ago, but I can't get over this grown-rear end man who tried to make "home decor" by hardening Play-Doh. I feel like the properties of Play-Doh should be common knowledge by age 5 or so, although I guess if he hasn't nailed down stuff like "don't let your multiple dogs just constantly piss and poo poo in your house," it might still be beyond him.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I fuckin' hate comics but holy poo poo that's a bad sister and an absolutely reasonable thing to cut a family member out of your life over. I can see like 10 year olds doing the petty destruction of each other's stuff because they got mad sort of thing, but at those ages it's unforgivable. Older sister knew exactly what she was doing and how much her younger sister cared about that irreplaceable treasure and she destroyed it over not being lent a jacket. She wanted to hurt her sister as badly as possible and knew exactly where to strike. if it was "just some paper" like she's dismissing, she wouldn't have gone after it to hurt her in the first place.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im sorry you lost your Stan Lee autograph and have discovered your family is irredeemable poo poo who will never truly love you, but think of this sort of like matt murdoc getting hit by toxic waste: now you can see that

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I (F26) do not know how to handle my partner's (M32) news. Relationships
submitted 9 hours ago * by ExplainMyPain

quote:

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read. A big thank you to anyone who is willing to provide me perspective on what to do or their thoughts. I want to learn and grow as a person so, if you disagree with me, I want to read your thoughts especially.

My partner, of two years, and I recently relocated to a new city because I had a job offer that was better than both our jobs at the time. Due to me causing us to move to give up both our part time jobs, I was more than happy to support him while he looked for jobs, unpacked, cleaned, etc.

Originally, I had told him he needed to have something in the works jobwise a month and a half after our move. A couple days before that "deadline" I was begging and fighting with him to fix up his resume. Knowing how hard job searching is, and trying not to be resentful since I job searched while working and looking for us to have a place to live and he was able to just job search with that being the only stressor (yeah, I obviously fail at not being resentful here), I told him to just keep looking and I will try and stop pressuring him.

Well, here we are creeping toward the third month of him searching. He got a job offer! It was actually an offer from a company he had applied to last year so not a job he currently applied to. Yay! Or so I thought until I asked him if he was going to take it. He said he was undecided. I let him know I would be a bit upset if he didn't take it when he was not even getting rejection letters from /any/ of the positions he currently applied to, and, since the position was part-time, he would still be able to look for a better job. No dice, still undecided.

So, last night I couldn't stop my thoughts enough to sleep. I asked if we could talk since he was on a ten minute video game break, and he agreed. I told him I needed him to be an adult and take this job. That I couldn't just blindly support him if he rejected a job offer without even an interview from another place happening these past two and a half months.

I want him to take the job for the following reasons even though I know it isn't in his ideal field: - I am the only income source. - We have debt. - I am currently paying the mins on his credit cards (less than a hundred every month). - I am scared something will happen to me and we won't be able to afford bills. - He is mopey and sad a lot of the time due to stresses of job searching. I am likely making this worse because it hurts to sit passively by when I could help him since I just finished my own job search. - It is easier to get a job when you have a job.

On the opposite end, the hours are a bit funky, but even he agreed it would actually work really well and the job is definitely not something he would enjoy. Last night he told me getting used to schedule would make him grumpy. These are the only two complaints he has about it but they are definitely reasons to reject a job.

I know he isn't me, but if the situations were reversed, I'd be applying to fast food places if I had to just to give us a little more financial wiggle room. The fact he is content to apply in the same field and not troubleshoot why he is not even getting rejections emails is confusing to me.

Yet, even when he knows all that, even when I put a whiteboard together with all our budget information, he is still undecided.

I know I have put a foot on the breakup train. I know my already bruised respect for him will probably shatter if he declined the offer with nothing else going for him.

This is my idea. We found out about the offer yesterday. He has until mid next month to accept. I told him my side and asked if we could talk Monday. If he was undecided Monday still or leaning toward rejecting it, it might be ultimatum and/or breakup time. I don't know.

Obviously, that isn't what I want. I know this is a big negative rant about my partner, but please believe me when I say I love him and we fit together. I want to know how to make this work.

Reddit, what do I do? Is my plan the best course of action or do I need a chill pill? How would you react in this event?

Tl;Dr: My partner received a job offer in not his ideal field. He has been job searching for over two months. I am tired and stressed knowing that if I get sick or hurt and miss work we will struggle to pay bills. I begged him to take the job and he told me he is undecided. What do I do?

Thank you for reading.

Update: Thank you so much to everyone that took the time to post. Even when it hurt, you gave me a lot to think about and made me realize there is a gap in who I want to be as an individual and what I need from a partner as that individual. Thank you so much for helping me process my thoughts.

My partner has decided to take the job after having to lay it out with him. Yay! However, reading through the comments and responding back, I have realized that this is likely a bigger issue than "he was iffy on accepting." I heard a lot of perspectives, some hard but important to hear, and I know now that for me to become who I want to be, I need a partner equal willing to step up in life. Him being iffy to start is a concern. It looks like it won't be ending our relationship. But something needs to change.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

:sever: a limb from the sister's body and beat her with it.

It's not even about money or materialism. The dude is dead and she can't get back the physical manifestation of that memory. Have the goddamn emotional maturity to understand that people like what they like and that is relatively similar to whatever you value and care for in a similar way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Motronic posted:

Way to appropriate strong-spine culture you fraud.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Motronic posted:

quote:

I asked if we could talk since he was on a ten minute video game break

Lmao case closed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I [39M] am disturbed and confused by my wife [36F] and her friend [34?F] [new]
submitted 7 hours ago by confusedhub2019

quote:

I guess obligatory long time lurker, first time poster notice. tldr at the bottom.

I've been married to my wife for 3 years and we've been together for 7. She's been friends with "Tanya" for 10+ years. We don't live in the same place, but they text all the time, and I'm "friends" with Tanya on the only social media platform I use (instagram). We see Tanya in person a couple of times a year when we visit her or she visits us. We stay in each other's homes so that's important. I'm not a drinker (I can't, I take prescribed sleeping pills and bad things happen when booze is involved) but at least once during a visit they'll go to town on a couple of bottles of wine.

So we are visiting Tanya and making an extra long weekend out of our visit, and last night was "wine night" - the girls were having fun and watching TV and I'm not in to the TV they watch so I excused myself and went to our room that also has a TV and put on a movie. After a bit I took my pill and as usually happens conked out a short time later.

I should also say that Tanya is a really sweet girl and she's tall and good looking, for as much as my opinion counts in this matter. I find her somewhat annoying in large doses, but she's polite and generally means well and my wife adores her, so I can put up with it for a few days. She's perpetually single too. My wife says she dates when she wants to but never sticks with a guy for more than a few months. I have never seen any indication that she has dated anyone and it's none of my business anyway.

Anyways I guess that's pretty much the back story and so here's my problem: I woke up this morning with Tanya minimally clothed in the bed where my wife should have been, and when I got up to find my wife she was in Tanya's room sleeping on her bed.

I was freaked out (still am, really) and my wife doesn't seem phased by it, or act like she cares, but for me it's a big deal. And Tanya's only feedback is that I make a good body pillow but not to worry because nothing happened. I know nothing happened because I took a drat sleeping pill! Both of them think I'm making a big deal out of nothing. Am I just blowing this out of proportion?

tl;dr: wife and her friend got drunk, I don't drink but took a sleeping pill and passed out. Woke up with wife's friend next to me in bed and wife in friend's bed and I am really weirded out by the whole situation but the girls think I'm upset for no reason.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Motronic posted:

Go for the belt.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Don’t waste the invite, man!

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Antivehicular posted:

I know this was from pages ago, but I can't get over this grown-rear end man who tried to make "home decor" by hardening Play-Doh. I feel like the properties of Play-Doh should be common knowledge by age 5 or so, although I guess if he hasn't nailed down stuff like "don't let your multiple dogs just constantly piss and poo poo in your house," it might still be beyond him.

This Play Doh poo poo slaughtered me because I used to make decorative teacups (?) of the flags of the nations of the world and dry then out and my parents never once yelled at me for wasting Play Doh

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

Nuke her. :murder:

Actually nuke mom too :killing:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I asked BSS about the Big 3 thing, and consensus was: no exact consensus, because there's about six or more contenders, might have just meant OP's three faves

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As Robert Oppenheimer once intoned, "I am become death, girlfriend of deadpool"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pinecone Sample posted:

This Play Doh poo poo slaughtered me because I used to make decorative teacups (?) of the flags of the nations of the world and dry then out and my parents never once yelled at me for wasting Play Doh

I feel like there's a difference between doing it as the kid for whom the Play-Doh was bought and doing at as the dad of those kids, especially a dad who sounds like he's close to deadbeat. Using and ruining a consumable toy intended for the kids you're already kinda neglecting is pretty lovely, even before you get into his "plan."

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Motronic posted:

Disturbed is probably a strong word but it's loving weird and I'd also be confused as hell about what's going on or why either party involved thought that was a smart thing to do.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

goethe.cx posted:

AITA for going to gay bars to get hit on even though I’m not gay?

Sort of like it says in the title. My ex-girlfriend broke up with me roughly six months back, and I've finally worked through all that and feel ready to date again-- but I get no catches at all. I've tried the dating apps, I've tried meetups, I've tried other bars, and it's like I'm anywhere ranging from invisible to slightly repulsive. It's doing a serious number on my self-esteem.

I was hanging with a couple of friends of mine, and we went to go see a performance we'd been interested in, which happened to be happening at a popular gay bar in town. When I was going up to the bar to get us drinks, I noticed I was getting a lot of looks from the guys there. My friends noticed too and were giving me some lighthearted crap for it, but I was honestly just really flattered? It felt really good to be looked at like that.
Once everyone was a little drunker, one of the guys at the bar even nudged me and joked about the fact that he knew that I was probably straight because lots of people that don't normally go to gay bars were there for the performance, but that he just had to give it a shot to see. I told him very sincerely that I was super flattered, but I had to get back to my friends-- I didn't tell him I wasn't gay. I guess it didn't seem important to mention, since I was 'turning him down' anyway and he'd already guessed that I was straight.
But I've been back quite a few times since. For one, it's a rad bar and the drinks are stellar, but it really does come down to the fact that I've been feeling so low and ugly and unwanted, but there I get checked out and flirted with like I'm hot stuff. It's been a gigantic confidence-booster.

I casually mentioned this to my sister, and she was completely gobsmacked. She says that's despicable of me to do, that I'm lying to and stringing along people that might have real interest, and I'm using them as 'helium to inflate my balloon' (as she says) and not thinking of them as real people with real feelings. I think she's hugely overreacting; I haven't had anyone get upset with me for gentle turn-downs and if it looked like I was seriously hurting someone by doing it I'd stop immediately. So tell me, Reddit, AITA?

lol at "real interest" when the setting is a bar

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hey, an update on the Stan Lee autograph!

quote:

Update : Thanks for the support. My dad and I found somone that restored pictures and we are taking my piece to it. Dad is going to use part of the money he was going to gift my sister for her car down-payment. As you can imagine sister threw a fit and is staying with mom at my grandparents now.

:unsmith: Maybe she can recover it.

At least her dad doesn't suck.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my mother she is not allowed to visit my workplace unless it's an "open day"?

I (25F) have been working in a lab for a few years, first as a student, now after graduation, as a paid employee. Mother teaches basic science to kids aged 12-14, so she gets some of it and is very interested in what I do.

But over the past few months, especially since I’m doing it as a job I feel she doesn't take it seriously. She keeps saying she wants to work here too and is sure she would be good at it, which I find kind of insulting since I had to get an MSc for it while her education doesn't even qualify as university. My contract says 40 hours/week but with no set schedule, basically I come and go whenever I want to and nobody checks it, but I religiously count my 8 hours/day because I'm... a decent person lol (plus, I still gotta keep those results coming).

All summer (when she doesn’t teach) she kept making plans on workdays when I can’t attend and when I reminded her that I have a fulltime job now she’d be like “but can’t you just skip a day whenever?”, and I technically can but also... can’t really. I feel she is jealous of my free schedule and that I can take part in some exciting research while she feels burnt out in her job but sometimes her attitude makes me feel she thinks it’s all fun and games and I’m just a kid with expensive toys.

So she had this idea that she wants to visit the lab. I was like "okay, we actually have an open day event soon, you can come to that and we will show you around".

She got SO OFFENDED at my suggestion. She was like she isn't just some random nobody, I should just take her there!

I told her it's not possible. The truth is that it kiiinda is but it's complicated and also, frankly, weird and embarrassing in my opinion. The building requires cards for entry so I'd have to check her in at the entrance. I could use it as an excuse to her visit that she is "in science" too, profs bring colleagues to visit all the time, but I'm not a prof so I don't feel it's in my right. No one else ever brought family or partners to visit, only on open days. Again, might be only my judgement but I feel she thinks this is just some student playground and not an actual, serious research lab. But it is, and it isn’t for public entertainment - except on the open day, which she is free to come to!

But she finds that insulting, so much that on a recent family gathering I overheard her complaining to my aunt "...and I asked if I can visit and can you imagine what she said?! That I can visit on an open day!" but all this laughing, jokingly, as if my suggestion was unbelievable ridiculous.

TLDR; My mother is interested in my laboratory job to the point she wants to visit my workplace, and she found my suggestion that she can come visit on an upcoming open day insulting. She thinks I should just take her and show her around sometime, which I think is unrealistic, and she also seems to not take my job seriously. AITA for telling her she can't visit, only on open days?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I [27m] hoop with a neighbor [16f] and her friends [teenagers f & m]. Her mom asked her to pretty much stay away from me. How should I handle this moving forward?

Four blocks from my home there's a park with a soccer/basketball court. The park covers the full city block and there are small apartment buildings all around.

A few months ago I started going really early in the morning on weekends. Because it's mostly occupied for the entirety of the day, I get there at 6am and when the kids arrive at 8 or 9 I leave so they can have the court.

A girl started showing up early too, about one hour before other people and we became friends. Sometimes she plays soccer on her own while I play on the other half, other days she asks for pointers on how to shoot the basketball, etc.

She frequently showed up with a friend and that became the early weekend routine for us, for about 2 months. I mostly left when enough people converged on the court, but I did play soccer with them a few times.

Last weekend, her friend showed up and we where playing around at about 7am. I asked her for the girl who originally showed up early and she said her mom told her to not get there so early to play with me.

I don't know how accurate what she told me was, but she said her mom asked about the man she was always playing with and how old he was, etc., and didn't like the answers and ordered her to not leave home so early. I didn't see her on Saturday, and on Sunday I saw her arrive at about the same time as most people (8 or so).

So, I only know what the friend told me, which is probably not entirely accurate. With that in mind, what should I do? I don't think we owe each other any sort of clarification, some days we would barely interact anyway, but I don't know if I should have something in mind tomorrow when I get there.

It really sucks that her mom seems close minded but I also don't feel like I should judge anyone based the limited info I have.

What should I do next? Is there anything in particular I should have in mind moving forward?

tl;dr: I play basketball on a public court near my home every weekend early so kids can play freely a little later in the morning. A girl started showing early too and we would sometimes play together. Someone else told me her mom suddenly doesn't want her to be around me so early. How should I react or handle this moving forward?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I [27m] hoop with a neighbor [16f] and her friends [teenagers f & m]. Her mom asked her to pretty much stay away from me. How should I handle this moving forward?

Wtf. I ball daily, it's totally normal for us to get random kids on different schedules showing up, and we show them the ropes. That's just a part of early morning bball IMO. We're here to play the game. Teaching kids is part of that but we're just here to play.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Hey, an update on the Stan Lee autograph!

:unsmith: Maybe she can recover it.

At least her dad doesn't suck.

Its good that the father recognizes that the sister picked an item she knew would cause major emotional pain but would use the excuse of "its just a piece of paper" and is punishing her for it.

The mom is garbage because she's either willfully ignorant of how much her daughter cared about the autograph or doesn't see anything wrong with someone being emotional hurt for refusing a request.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like there's a difference between doing it as the kid for whom the Play-Doh was bought and doing at as the dad of those kids, especially a dad who sounds like he's close to deadbeat. Using and ruining a consumable toy intended for the kids you're already kinda neglecting is pretty lovely, even before you get into his "plan."

For sure, I just forgot that doing that was a thing and really gives an insight into this guy's intellectual age

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pentyne posted:

The mom is garbage because she's either willfully ignorant of how much her daughter cared about the autograph or doesn't see anything wrong with someone being emotional hurt for refusing a request.
Mom's playing favorites and it shows.

TheAardvark posted:

Wtf. I ball daily, it's totally normal for us to get random kids on different schedules showing up, and we show them the ropes. That's just a part of early morning bball IMO. We're here to play the game. Teaching kids is part of that but we're just here to play.
Agreed.

Op needs to invoke the ancient rite of Shut Up and Jam. If Mom cannot defend against the Chaos Dunk, she loses all claim to the court.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

How emotionally stunted do you have to be to not recognize that a personal drawing combined with a famous dead man's signature means something incredibly valuable? Are golden children some sort of extension of narcissism, where the parents project themselves onto one child and become blind to all their faults?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dazerbeams posted:

How emotionally stunted do you have to be to not recognize that a personal drawing combined with a famous dead man's signature means something incredibly valuable? Are golden children some sort of extension of narcissism, where the parents project themselves onto one child and become blind to all their faults?

they certainly just see it as kid's cartoons signed by some schmuck because they dismiss the younger daughter's interests

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Which would mean that the mother doesn't give a poo poo about her husband either, since he's also a big Marvel fan.

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

luxury handset posted:

they certainly just see it as kid's cartoons signed by some schmuck because they dismiss the younger daughter's interests

Agreed, and it is completely irrelevant what the thing is that brings her joy. This is like spoiled sociopath poo poo.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

dick wizard posted:

Should have put a spoiler on the ages for this one imo.

Yeah this whole thing should have teenagers as protagonists. “I’m an adult women who lives at home and still needs my parents to mediate conflict for me.” You are 22, move the gently caress out.

Edit: actually I misread it she’s the 19 year old , will let my mistake stand for the ages.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

WIBTA if I don't attend my sister's $2800 per ticket destination wedding? *I do have enough money.

quote:

My sister is having a Destination wedding in the Dominican Republic (all-inclusive). It'll cost me $2800 dollars to attend (there's no option to adjust the dates/costs. it's for a full week). My sister would be very upset if I don't attend. My parents say I should go, and that I'm being selfish for saying I'm not going.

My sister lives far away and we see eachother once a year due to cost/ busy schedules. I don't make a ton of money, but I have enough money to attend the wedding and my parents and my sister know it. While I really want to support her --and would attend a local/ more reasonabley priced destination wedding in a heartbeat-- $2800 just seems too much. And less importantly, I have zero desire to go to an all-inclusive resort as I don't drink or enjoy suntanning.

In my defence, I've worked hard for my money and I sacrificed quite a lot to be where I am financially. And while I have accumulated significant savings, it isn't because I earn a big salary. But, because I work long hours, and very rarely spend money on anything beyond the bare essentials. The cost of this trip would exceed the value of my worldly possessions including my car. It would also require me using a full week of what little time I get off work.

I really don't know if I'm being selfish, cheap, and callous or if I'm being reasonable. Last night I almost booked the ticket out of guilt, but, I couldn't do it and have since resolved not to go. So what do you guys think? AITA not wanting to attend?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

Yes. A lot of golden children get in on the abuse of the scapegoat child because the narcissist parent both encourages it and not abusing the scapegoat is like the only way to lose golden child status.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pinecone Sample posted:

WIBTA if I don't attend my sister's $2800 per ticket destination wedding? *I do have enough money.

Your parents can pay if it's so important you go and $2800 means so little to them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Mom's playing favorites and it shows.

100%

Mom played the "you shouldn't be mad at your family over material things" card, but now mom is upset over the other sister losing a material thing that she hadn't even received yet.

Dazerbeams posted:

Yes, that is common with a narcissistic parent. The dad's comment about the other daughter being spoiled by the mom further hints at this possibility

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Pinecone Sample posted:

For any person who wants a destination wedding, even if you pay for the whole thing, it's imposing the other person in a huge way. So if you want one, you live with the fact that not everyone is coming.

As someone who has a sister who is exactly like the one in the Stan Lee story, take the hint now that your mom is trash, along with your sister, and when you move away, don't look back, not to spite them, for your own mental health.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

imagine blowing up your parents' marriage at age 22 by destroying your siblings' irreplaceable drawing over not borrowing a jacket

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I appreciated that the people I know who did destination weddings paid for their guests airfare and hotel under the justification of that being the money they saved not renting a venue/hosting 500 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pinecone Sample posted:

who cares about destination weddings -- this is the line that's bugging me

quote:

The cost of this trip would exceed the value of my worldly possessions including my car.

okay, so we'll generously say that you have a $1000 junker shitbox (even the scrap value of a car stays pretty stable at about 500 bucks). you have a cheap laptop that cost you $700 and a three-year-old android worth a hundred dollars. the total value of everything else you own -- all your furniture, clothing, housewares, cosmetics, etc -- is less than one thousand dollars? what the hell does this person's living situation look like?

Barudak posted:

I appreciated that the people I know who did destination weddings paid for their guests airfare and hotel under the justification of that being the money they saved not renting a venue/hosting 500 people.

i went on a destination wedding to india and the whole two weeks was entirely paid for as long as i covered the plane ticket there. still expensive, but absolutely the right choice to go