Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I wanna say some of the later comics may have done something with the whole Gary Seven concept but yeah, that's a real bad episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
I wish I knew where to find old trek comics, the little I've seen is insane. Sulu got himself into some real trouble with M'Ress

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I like Gary Seven’s cat Isis and the stock rocket footage

Yeah ok it’s bad.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

HorseLord posted:

I wish I knew where to find old trek comics, the little I've seen is insane. Sulu got himself into some real trouble with M'Ress

There's some good stuff mixed in there, and a whole lot of trash.

I haven't read a ton of it but a lot of the IDW stuff has been pretty good imo. Still working my way through the really old poo poo atm though.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The Eugenics Wars books by Greg Cox had Gary Seven as a sort of mentor figure to Khan before he went all power hungry and then it had Gary trying to stop the superpeople from totally taking over.

I liked those books but I read them when I was like 15, which was 15 years ago, so take it with a grain of salt.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Wacky outlandish fanwank plots have their place, and they might even be (often are) great in the context of their place, but that place is never a TV or movie screen.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Into Darkness would have been a better movie with Gary Seven and Isis in it IMO.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anybody tried the Eaglemoss "Risk Free Introductory Trial Offer"? I haven't bought A Toy in decades, and I'm not interested in paying X dollars/month for a subscription, but $10 for an Enterprise D, Enterprise A and a Bird of Prey sounds like a good deal. But I want to make sure I'm not inadvertently signing up for anything I don't want. Is it easy to cancel the subscription once you receive the introductory package? Do they make it clear when your next charge will be? I don't want to sign up today (8/31) and get charged tomorrow (9/1) for September's selection.

I want to avoid this scene, where I'm arguing that I don't want the Delta Flyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tfI9tTzlI0

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 31, 2019

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I still do not understand Assignment: Earth detractors. Why do you hate fun?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I really hope this is on video somewhere, I can't find it with a cursory search.

I saw him talk about it at a convention, so I'm sure he's told the story more than once.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Drone posted:

There's some good stuff mixed in there, and a whole lot of trash.

I haven't read a ton of it but a lot of the IDW stuff has been pretty good imo. Still working my way through the really old poo poo atm though.

Marvel old, DC old, Marvel (the first time) old, or like... Gold Key old?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Lester Shy posted:

Anybody tried the Eaglemoss "Risk Free Introductory Trial Offer"? I haven't bought A Toy in decades, and I'm not interested in paying X dollars/month for a subscription, but $10 for an Enterprise D, Enterprise A and a Bird of Prey sounds like a good deal. But I want to make sure I'm not inadvertently signing up for anything I don't want. Is it easy to cancel the subscription once you receive the introductory package? Do they make it clear when your next charge will be? I don't want to sign up today (8/31) and get charged tomorrow (9/1) for September's selection.

I want to avoid this scene, where I'm arguing that I don't want the Delta Flyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tfI9tTzlI0

I’ve never just subscribed for the introductory thing, but I believe you’re charged for the first (cheap) order and the second (standard) order when you sign up. I subscribed to the Eaglemoss thing for about a year back in 2015 or 16. The models are nice when they don’t arrive broken, but Eaglemoss’s customer service suuuuuuucks, the subscription doesn’t actually save you any money, and if they’re out of stock for whatever ship is next in line they just ship you the next one and there’s no guarantee you’ll ever get the one they skipped. You end up getting stuck with lots of garbage ships that are difficult to even flip on eBay. The only positive part of the sub are the exclusive rewards like the All Good Things Enterprise.

Overall it’s not worth it and you’re better off just buying the ones you want à la carte off their site. If something is out of stock just wait or buy it off eBay.

Trevellian
Apr 27, 2007

Well tally ho! With a bing and a bong and a buzz buzz buzz!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I agree it’s quite a fun piece of television, but as a Star Trek episode who wants to see this unknown guy make your heroes look like a bunch of bumblers? Spock and Kirk spend the episode either messing things up or watching Gary Seven fix the mess.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You'd think they could give him a call when they desperately needed some whales on short notice.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Big Mean Jerk posted:

but Eaglemoss’s customer service suuuuuuucks

On the few times I've needed it, it's been great.

I had gotten a "special edition" Klingon ship that was missing the plastic fork thingy and they sent me an entirely new model. I've had two or three regular ships replaced for broken parts within a few days.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hipster_Doofus posted:

For me, it's like something from childhood. I vividly remember the annoyance of sitting down to watch a show and slowly realize that most of the episode features some unknown nobodies while the regular characters show up as cameos.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

davidspackage posted:

For me, it's like something from childhood. I vividly remember the annoyance of sitting down to watch a show and slowly realize that most of the episode features some unknown nobodies while the regular characters show up as cameos.

This isn't just a childhood thing, I feel the same trying to watch the episode as an adult in my thirties. I don't think I have ever made it through the whole thing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'Assignment: Earth' is the one with the shameless stock Saturn V footage, isn't it? I got sarcastic amusement from the Alias episode that did the same thing decades later, and it was just as obvious.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
If I'm in half the shape Dorn is at 66, I'll consider that a win. Then again, that will be in the early 2040s, in which case I'll need to be strong enough to skirmish with the water bandits while scavenging parts for my home's oxygen filtration unit.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

After The War posted:

Marvel old, DC old, Marvel (the first time) old, or like... Gold Key old?

Right now, DC, from between The Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock. Goofy poo poo on the Excelsior and basically none of this is good.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Laterite posted:

If I'm in half the shape Dorn is at 66, I'll consider that a win. Then again, that will be in the early 2040s, in which case I'll need to be strong enough to skirmish with the water bandits while scavenging parts for my home's oxygen filtration unit.
I know it wouldn't be, but I really wish the Tarantino Star Trek movie was just a Worf solo movie where you really just get to see Worf go for full Klingon Warrior.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It’s a Winston Worf movie where he gets random calls to appear at safe houses, and helps clean pink Klingon blood off of shuttlecraft interiors after accidental disruptor discharges.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Missing DW-Link posted:

So uh... wow? My GIRLFRIEND is the lead trainer at a boutique gym and a massive trek fan like myself. A couple of months ago she called me from work to tell me that Michael Dorn was at her gym. She was freaking out about it and I honestly thought she was pulling my leg. Since then she’s got to know the guy and was able to set up a workout with him, her and myself this week.

So, yeah, I did a workout with Worf. He’s a super cool dude, very down to Earth, and is legit into Trek. The three of us ended up sitting around talking about DS9 for a while after our workout, which was honestly surreal as hell. Sounds like he’s down to be my workout buddy again next week, so I guess this is my life now.

Background blurred to obscure the gym.

Please post a pic of your next meetup where you show up in a skintight blue jumpsuit ready to play Parrisses squares.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Nah, next time he shows up he should totally say "Today is a good day to exercise"

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think you mean it’s a good day for flyes.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Sash! posted:

I've long struggled with Star Trek's idea of science and engineering and I don't mean that in the "why would your safety systems be active instead of passive and who packed the console full of rocks" sort of idea. No, the Lone Genius Laboring in Isolation stuff. That sort of work would need a massive team and extremely deep pockets to pull off. A couple guys in the woods wouldn't be able to mount the Phoenix on the lift vehicle without infrastructure they simply didn't possess. Also, who the hell were the other two seats for anyhow? And how did he get back from orbit? Where did the Phoenix land? Did he have a recovery team? If he landed right back at his launch point, on the button, that's almost more impressive than building the warp drive.

Considering that these days SpaceX can land a booster rocket stage exactly where it took off from, I can buy that the Phoenix can do the same thing.

Zaroff posted:

What’s sillier is that Cirroc Lofton, despite being a credited star of the show probably was in less than 50% of each season and was in fewer episodes than some recurring cast members. They could have easily accommodated Farrell’s request!

Less than 50% in fact, Mem Alpha says he was only in 71 of DS9's 173 episodes, about 40%. To be fair, he was in high school for the first half of the series so probably wasn't available that much.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pascallion posted:

Please post a pic of your next meetup where you show up in a skintight blue jumpsuit ready to play Parrisses squares.

Nullsmack posted:

Nah, next time he shows up he should totally say "Today is a good day to exercise"

These seem like really good ways to scare off a cool new workout buddy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish an ongoing joke on Voyager was 7 of 9 solving puzzle games for the crew that they were working on, in order to get their attention.

Medoken
Jul 2, 2006

I AM A FAGET FOR BOB SAGET

I said come in! posted:

I wish an ongoing joke on Voyager was 7 of 9 solving puzzle games for the crew that they were working on, in order to get their attention.

She does that, right? The episode with George Costanza leading an alien think tank?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

These seem like really good ways to scare off a cool new workout buddy.

Might as well go whole hog and try to duel him with a batleth.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Medoken posted:

She does that, right? The episode with George Costanza leading an alien think tank?

She is about to do it, and then Janeway is like "DONT YOU loving DARE!" but before that, she does it to Harry Kim and it was a pretty funny scene. I actually just watched that episode an hour ago. I just picture this being a common thing for 7 of 9 on the ship that happens off camera, and she has built up a reputation for doing it.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

For a few months now I've been watching DS9 for the first time, I'm on the final season now and i'll post more thoughts on the show once it's finished, but I wanted to say 'It's only a paper moon' is probably my favorite episode of the show, something about it just hit all the right notes for me.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Might as well go whole hog targ and try to duel him with a batleth.

Much better.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Pixeltendo posted:

For a few months now I've been watching DS9 for the first time, I'm on the final season now and i'll post more thoughts on the show once it's finished, but I wanted to say 'It's only a paper moon' is probably my favorite episode of the show, something about it just hit all the right notes for me.

Having skipped it for the most part when it originally aired (TNG or bust!) I’ve just started watching the show from the beginning and really really am enjoying it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TraderStav posted:

Having skipped it for the most part when it originally aired (TNG or bust!) I’ve just started watching the show from the beginning and really really am enjoying it.

Please live post frequently about your experiences

I want a MiB flashy thing so I can watch DS9 and play Breath of the Wild again for the first time

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Considering that these days SpaceX can land a booster rocket stage exactly where it took off from, I can buy that the Phoenix can do the same thing.

Not from high orbit and only with a specially equipped vehicle. Nothing about the Phoenix really says "this vehicle can withstand atmospheric entry."

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

The Bloop posted:

Please live post frequently about your experiences

I want a MiB flashy thing so I can watch DS9 and play Breath of the Wild again for the first time

Will do what I can, I’m also simultaneously watching TOS and Babylon 5 for the first time, alternating between them.

Quick recap of my journey so far:

TOS: First 5-6 episodes. Wow, I always had a bias that these were old shows that would be a chore to watch 50 years later. Once you get 5 minutes in the dated sets and costumes there’s a lot of good stuff here. Currently has a Twilight Zone feel and they’re still getting the ground underneath their feet. (Changing doctors, multiple pilot episodes, etc.)

B5: Bad CGI and loads of bad writing / acting with periods of brilliant performances (LONDO and J’kar!). Am told that this show is a continuous increase in quality from the depths of terribleness and I believe my head just popped up over the waterline when I finished “and the sky full of stars”. Very excited about how this show unfolds

DS9: (Only just finished Past Prologue) I was 12 or 13 when DS9 was aired and it felt like a real slow boring show when I wanted pew pew Star Trek similar to the Best of Both Worlds. Now that I’m older, I’m really appreciating the politics and dynamics of the different races following this war on the ‘frontier’. Impressions: Loving the grittiness and feeling of venerability that they have. Never felt like the Enterprise was ever really at risk, DS9 is still pretty crippled this early, although I’m sure O’brien will cook up some neutrino barrier or something to fend off the baddies.

Really like Kira and hope that they don’t neuter her as time goes on like they did with Chakotay. She’s got a hell of an edge. Garak is smooth as silk and feels very outside Star Trek in a very good way.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
FC’s retcons about Cochrane are a hackjob all around and people only let it slide because the TOS episode that it’s retconning kind of sucked.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TraderStav posted:

B5: Bad CGI and loads of bad writing / acting with periods of brilliant performances (LONDO and J’kar!). Am told that this show is a continuous increase in quality from the depths of terribleness and I believe my head just popped up over the waterline when I finished “and the sky full of stars”. Very excited about how this show unfolds

The CGI unfortunately doesn't get better. Granted, it was produced on a shoestring budget in the early/mid-90s, so there's only so much in terms of quality that COULD be had there. But there were some huge issues with the CGI in the DVD releases of Babylon 5 that basically guaranteed the CGI-only (and especially CGI-mixed-with-real-footage) scenes are going to look like poo poo. Something about how the filmed bits are all NTSC, but the only copies of the CGI scenes they had were NTSC-that-was-ported-to-PAL-that-was-then-reimported-to-NTSC or something.

Writing gets way better though, particularly once Boxleitner's brought on in place of Michael O'Hare (who unfortunately had to leave the show because he was battling some pretty huge mental health issues). IMO the main human characters all remain pretty lackluster at best though, but the ambassadors and their staff are where the acting/writing really, really shine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Nah, first season B5 CGI is even more dodgy than the rest of the show.