Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Guys, if you order some poo poo now you might get it in time to send it on to an unsuspecting goon for SASS...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

rear end posted:

I got an Amazfit Bip cuz I wanted something simple for heartrate tracking. Battery life is really good but it is a laggy piece of poo poo, which shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

Looks pretty good for the price. Hell, if it tracked swim laps I'd buy one.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Captain Splendid posted:

Guys, if you order some poo poo now you might get it in time to send it on to an unsuspecting goon for SASS...

anyone going in on the 2019 YOSSanta

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33005611649.html

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on it. I don't desperately need a new phone yet but probably will within the next few months, so I can tinker with the Ali one until my existing phone dies.

loling at this! Yeah this is totally for inmates.

mehall posted:

This is correct, but I also knew a guy who kept one in his car because the battery would last for ages and ages and it would make a great backup.
He left it with a Sim ejector and adapter too.

If that phone accepted SIM cards, I would totally buy one to be a hipster with.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Frank Dillinger posted:

If that phone accepted SIM cards, I would totally buy one to be a hipster with.

The one the guy I knew had had a nano SIM slot, but the one he'd had before was micro SIM so he just left the SIM adapter in there.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Tsk, the things you miss out on

Reminder: order now for Halloween 🎃

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/DORjt0o43

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

eSporks posted:

I broke my garmin again so I had to use the Amazfit for a while. It absolutely destroys my phones battery life. Can't even get through a full day.

Yeesh. I've been tempted by the Amazfit but that's a turnoff. Early jawbones did exactly the same thing - reduced phone battery to 5 hours - because of syncing constantly. Don't suppose there's a option to set syncing frequency?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Maybe? The watch is super customizable, especially with 3rd party software. The software is also really finicky and unreliable.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

ante posted:

It just seems silly to buy something that will work terribly for six months and then break, as opposed to buying a good tool that will last a long time and be a pleasure to use.

Totally your call, and this is exactly the thread where people fall into that trap a lot.

Just be aware that you're buying the lovely $5 plastic shirt that will discolour and rip within the year, instead of the $15 cotton one that will last a decade.

I know you don't believe us, but I have gone through two cheapo soldering stations, and one hot air station, and it's always been regrettable :)

This was the argument they made as well and the reason why I bought the one I did instead of the $30 amazon special.

My rule of thumb with tools has always been that if I need a specialty tool, then buy the cheapo princess auto one. If it turns out I use it often or the lovely one is inadequate for my needs then I buy the good one when the lovely one breaks.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I love that Princess Auto's home brand is called POWER FIST in order to counteract the Princess part.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

By popular demand posted:

Just don't buy the memory card from AE.

honestly, i did the forbidden thing and ordered some micro sd cards from aliexpress

and uh, they're fine. they were "mixza" cards mostly (i think a sandisk too) and they all tested at the correct capacity and speed. one of them has been in my raspberry pi for about a year now without any issues at all.

ur results may vary, caveat emptor, etc

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Oddly enough, I bought a CPAP machine from Aliexpress. I have a bad snoring problem and it was cutting into my sleep. The same unit here in Canada from a local dealer is about $1700 and I got the exact unit for about $500 with a mask and everything. I titrated it myself and it's been working reliably for over a year now. There is good stuff on Aliexpress but it's usually the less popular stuff that is actually any good.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Tarkus posted:

Oddly enough, I bought a CPAP machine from Aliexpress. I have a bad snoring problem and it was cutting into my sleep. The same unit here in Canada from a local dealer is about $1700 and I got the exact unit for about $500 with a mask and everything. I titrated it myself and it's been working reliably for over a year now. There is good stuff on Aliexpress but it's usually the less popular stuff that is actually any good.

Cpaps aren't paid by your insurance after a sleep study?!

Cmon, your body is too stupid to breathe, why do have to pay for that

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Not always. Canada has universal healthcare but that doesn't cover every possible expense, and lots of people don't bother getting supplemental insurance. The stuff that isn't covered mostly isn't the sort of thing that will drive you into medical bankruptcy, and medical expenses that aren't covered are usually eligible for a tax credit. If you are poor enough more things can be covered. If you're right in the middle where the tax credit won't help you but you aren't poor enough to get the cost covered I guess discount chinese gear could be attractive.

Diabetics are always complaining that they have to pay for their own needles while drug addicts can use needles at the Safe Injection Site for free. If you suggest that they could also go to the safe injection sites to inject their insulin with free needles they get real mad.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Like Facebook Aunt said, not all insurance pays for it. While I get paid well at my job, my insurance is bottom of the barrel.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I was in the same boat. Sent for multiple sleep studies but even my work insurance wouldn't cover the whole cost of a CPAP rig (I think they were going to cover ~$700 out of $2000). I have really borderline apnea though so maybe that's why.

Never even occurred to me to check Ali for that but if this cell phone purchase works out maybe I'll look into a breathing machine

Douglas Dinsdale
Oct 13, 2006

In Canada, you can buy a whole CPAP rig (the same one they loan out for a month trial) for around C$900 online at any number of places like here rather than the minimum C$1700 clinics will want.
All you need is a prescription from your doctor. If you know your settings, you can have them program that in for you.
If you don't, there's a handy video on how to access the pro settings.

Also, the Ali t-shirt place that sent me the wrong design appears to have delisted their shop.
They have read my messages, but no response for three days now.
It's not a huge deal--I've paid too much for t-shirts at concerts plenty of times.

I ordered another $240 tube preamplifier from a reputable shop, so I'm not soured on Ali yet.
I don't have the guts to drop several thousand on vaguely B&W 802 speakers ($14000-ish? for the real thing), though.

Douglas Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 3, 2019

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I imagine they're more for people who don't have insurance in the USA, so otherwise they'd be paying maybe over a hundred for the first doctors visit, maybe a few hundred for the O2 monitor + followup to get the sleep study approved, and then the sleep study itself runs $600-5000 a night according to statistics and that's before the cpap without insurance

so $500 vs best case scenario $1500? + gas and waiting time could be as much as $25,000+ worst case scenario?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

. If you suggest that they could also go to the safe injection sites to inject their insulin with free needles they get real mad.

Well yeah because that’s loving stupid.

Needles should be covered wtf.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Douglas Dinsdale posted:

In Canada, you can buy a whole CPAP rig (the same one they loan out for a month trial) for around $900 online at any number of places like here rather than the minimum $1700 clinics will want.
All you need is a prescription from your doctor. If you know your settings, you can have them program that in for you.
If you don't, there's a handy video on how to access the pro settings.

Thanks for the link, it confirms I've been getting hosed. I have secondary insurance that covers CPAP equipment at 80%. The last mask I bought was over $200cdn so I've been trawling Ali just in case I could find a replacement for less than my deductable.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If you are american, you can apply for this https://www.sleepapnea.org/community/cpap-assistance-program/

For a "donation" of 100 dollars they will give you a last generation used resmed cpap. Your doctor's office can usually help you apply. Highly recommend.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I want to build a PC from Aliexpress parts just to do it as cheaply as possible. Cleaning out the PC Cafe grime would make it a fun project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLPM5o9xzOA&t=47s

It's pretty hilarious that the Radeon RX470D was the same as a more powerful RX470 but with firmware limitations, and just flashing the firmware would improve the graphics card by something like 6%. :thumbsup:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If you are american, you can apply for this https://www.sleepapnea.org/community/cpap-assistance-program/

For a "donation" of 100 dollars they will give you a last generation used resmed cpap. Your doctor's office can usually help you apply. Highly recommend.

That is super awesome but I really have to question why you need an Rx for one of these... like using it can’t kill you and I can only assume the reason is because the companies want to keep the price of these astronomical.

boostergeist
Nov 11, 2017

Toxic Mental posted:

I want to build a PC from Aliexpress parts just to do it as cheaply as possible. Cleaning out the PC Cafe grime would make it a fun project.

Long time lurker of this thread; I know nothing about building PCs, but seeing one entirely built from budget Aliexpress parts would be totally cool. Provided it doesn't overheat and explode or something.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

boostergeist posted:

Long time lurker of this thread; I know nothing about building PCs, but seeing one entirely built from budget Aliexpress parts would be totally cool. Provided it doesn't overheat and explode or something.

Ashens did one out of Wish.com parts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mMIOhoUcCM

It was more expensive than buying locally and the extremely budget GPU was still a fake.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Weird timing, I've just been on a YT kick about this kind of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlR1LVMREf4

How about a new motherboard that uses chips that Intel hasn't manufactured for years?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

boostergeist posted:

Long time lurker of this thread; I know nothing about building PCs, but seeing one entirely built from budget Aliexpress parts would be totally cool. Provided it doesn't does overheat and explode or something.

FTFY and that's exactly what I expect from this. Please be careful, this thread already had people trying out death implements and I don't think we've had casualties yet?

bar88537
Nov 8, 2004

Halloween chat: hows this for a meta and cheap outfit?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32849342692.html

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bar88537 posted:

Halloween chat: hows this for a meta and cheap outfit?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32849342692.html

Stolen Squalor

boostergeist
Nov 11, 2017

Geemer posted:

It was more expensive than buying locally and the extremely budget GPU was still a fake.

Lol, that's disappointing but not unexpected.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

The Bloop posted:

Stolen Squalor

username thread

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Using Aliexpress to build your PC is pretty safe/cheape depending on where you live. Usually RAM/CPUs and coolers are safe parts to order, altough the cooler's box WILL be damaged when it arrives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5J2jTJ1Dik&t=533s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2iDQBxD92E

I'm currently waiting on my RAM sticks, gonna buy either an R5 1600 or R7 1700 this week. Mobo and cooler bought locally since they're not really worth importing.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Stink Terios posted:

Using Aliexpress to build your PC is pretty safe/cheape depending on where you live. Usually RAM/CPUs and coolers are safe parts to order, altough the cooler's box WILL be damaged when it arrives.

A friend of mine bought some Kllisre DDR3 memory from their official Aliexpress storefront to squeeze some more life out of his old computer and it was legit good.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Geemer posted:

A friend of mine bought some Kllisre DDR3 memory from their official Aliexpress storefront to squeeze some more life out of his old computer and it was legit good.

The actual memory chips only have 3 manufacturers: Samsung, Hynix and Micron. So no matter which brand of RAM you buy, you're getting one of those and it's gonna be at least decent.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Well, this is fun. One of my orders was stuck in an airport for over a month, and suddenly the tracking updated and said it's been delivered around a week ago.. uhh nope. Also bought a pair of :aliexpress: pins, and they're at Istanbul right now? That's new.

Stink Terios posted:

[...]altough the cooler's box WILL be damaged when it arrives.

Geemer posted:

Oh hey, me too. In my case it was DDR2 memory and LGA775 cooler and yeah, the cooler was sent in it's own box so it looked pretty beaten up when it arrived. Works fine though.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Stink Terios posted:

The actual memory chips only have 3 manufacturers: Samsung, Hynix and Micron. So no matter which brand of RAM you buy, you're getting one of those and it's gonna be at least decent.

That's true, but it's a question of whether the quality of the chips is Actually Meant For Sales, Night Shift Was On Duty At The Packaging Factory, or "Engineering Samples." The performance and stability could vary hugely.

Source: I was a DRAM manufacturing engineer for a while.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

TorakFade posted:

FTFY and that's exactly what I expect from this. Please be careful, this thread already had people trying out death implements and I don't think we've had casualties yet?

That guy who tested out the grinder blade of death hasn't posted since.

:rip:

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Trabant posted:

That's true, but it's a question of whether the quality of the chips is Actually Meant For Sales, Night Shift Was On Duty At The Packaging Factory, or "Engineering Samples." The performance and stability could vary hugely.

Source: I was a DRAM manufacturing engineer for a while.

Good to know! I will test speeds and latencies when I get my rig up.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Finally, a workout brand for me.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32964642118.html

:prepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative