Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

The_Doctor posted:

I love Mexican/tex-mex, and I have a regular place I hit up for a chimichanga every time I go to the US. Taco Bell (while not even being vaguely authentic in any way) is also my jam, and I’m pretty happy to see them exploding across the UK over the last year. I think there’s at least 2 in London now?

They're really popular in the south west. Theres like 3 in Poole of all places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

serious gaylord posted:

Someone taking 4 hours to cook tomato pasta.

Vlex posted:

foodchat

lmao ofc

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

serious gaylord posted:

They're really popular in the south west. Theres like 3 in Poole of all places.

Chichester got one before London which blows my mind.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

HauntedRobot posted:

Wahaca do some nice stuff if you can hold your nose and ignore the spelling. And their home taco kits are awesome.

Their smoky Chipotle sauce is magnificent. Mexican in general is like pizza, it doesn't matter how terrible and inauthentic it is, you still want it bad.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

They're growing apace so hopefully it won't be too much longer because I can get some Taco Baco in loving Leicester.

I mean really, they gave one to Portsmouth first? Rotherham? Basildon?

It's an insult and a disgrace.

One thing I miss desperately about the US is taquitos, god I'd kill for some of them.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Ms Adequate posted:

They're growing apace so hopefully it won't be too much longer because I can get some Taco Baco in loving Leicester.

One thing I miss desperately about the US is taquitos, god I'd kill for some of them.

You leave Basildon out of this, it's one of the only things it's got going for it :(

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Private Speech posted:

Yeah I didn't really think abput it, was a throwaway comment.

Was going to edit it but the thread's moving a bit fast these days.

No worries. I once took a sugarbeet home thinking it was a potato; this is probably an analogy for brexit

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

OwlFancier posted:

I buy wraps because they keep longer than bread, and I choose to believe that putting a mixture of tinned mussels, mashed up prawn cocktail crisps, and cheese in them is very authentic.
On similar lines (mostly just as variant from my usual baguettes or sandwiches), but Philadelphia, ham, cheese and walnuts.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Jose posted:

lmao ofc

Oh, also, something something the legislation passed with no amendments, so boris legally has to get an extension from the EU or be jailed.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ms Adequate posted:

There’s one in Nottingham, and it was one of the first*!

*in the revival. Yes, they were in the UK back in the 80s before packing up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oh, the grand old Duke of York
He had ten thousand kids

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

The tories failing this badly at attempting a meme when we live in a post Miwky Gapes and Gay Frog Farron world is loving amazing.

Apologies to anyone who now read my posts in my voice because of the podcast, I’m so sorry.

DOMMMMM CUMMMMMMIESSSSS

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

You can just about any ethnic food somewhere in Toronto, cooked by immigrants from there. Italian food in the UK is shite, incidentally.

Disagree, we have some good family run places but they are a lot more niche than the big high street chains who cornered the market and shovel out Olive Garden level shite.

Part of their relative rarity is that a lot of Italian immigrants opened cafes and ice cream Parlours rather than full restaurants - our coffee culture was p much imported from Italy in the 50s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And that's good because gelato is loving delicious.

Also being where I am I have to rep the lemon top.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Breddos in London is a pretty great Mexican restaurant.

Also there’s at least 2 decent taco vans in Bristol, one of which has imported an industrial tortilla maker from Mexico, so you can get some decent tortillas from them to use at home.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I made quesadillas earlier and they're good and easy, eat those

Junior G-man posted:

Posting the whole piece because it's cool and we should all read more:

The egg is good in that one.

There are some choice dogwhistling quotes in there, Big John effortlessly swatting down gotchas - but is there seriously a City guy called Rich Ricci???

also

quote:

Nandini's
:kimchi:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

bump_fn posted:

theres good indian food in any good major city in the states but you're less likely to pick one at random and find some really good stuff (and then the one good place you love will go out of business because all anyone wants to eat is fukn chicken tikka masala :cry:)
i'm in texas and yeah you have to know where to look, and my south asian food strategy is to sniff out specific regional places. my jam is a tamil restaurant and, if i travel far enough, a hidden pakistani place run by ismaili muslims. i don't know if there's a specific regional variation that i'm eating i just know it's good.

anyways i'm going back to yank lurking which tends to happen around U.K. election times and once-in-a-generation political meltdowns. i would like to thank everyone for their hospitality.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 6, 2019

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
There's a fair amount of South American immigrants in the UK atm so decent South American food is slowly becoming more commonplace. I've not met anyone that's moved from Mexico but I know a few Colombians and know of a few that have come over from Brazil. The best food I've had has come from food markets though, Rope Walk in Bermondsey had a great Colombian food stall and there's often one at Colchesters Saturday market.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Firos posted:

You leave Basildon out of this, it's one of the only things it's got going for it :(

Basildon also has a lot of roundabouts and not many cops, as the tread wear on my car may indicate

Also the aroma chinese buffet of many wonders- though tangs in southend has it beat tbh

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I'd recommend stuff like chile colorado or charro beans to make at home. Tacos and burritos are great if you're making a hundred at a time for a restaurant but fresh tortillas and other ingredients are a hard requirement for them.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/article/groat-ricks-chili-colorado
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/06/frijoles-charros-mexican-pinto-beans-bacon-recipe.html

Aside from the dried chiles which ship well you probably have everything you need in your pantry. You can substitute hot sauce, coriander, and dried oregano in place of the jalapeno/cilantro/fresh oregano in the recipe and it will be fine.

A big portion of mexican cuisine is incredibly simple. The mexican-american club at my high school's fundraiser was selling bags of chips they just dump hot sauce in, and there's a couple of brands of powder you sprinkle on fruit that's chili powder and dried lime juice. An arizona cheese crisp is just a tortilla you put some cheese and hot sauce on and broil until it's crispy and brown. Grill some ears of corn and spread some mayo on them and top with chili powder. Etc.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Still trying to find a place that does authentic Cubanos

Also chili con carne owns, is easy to make and freezes well to go with rice, mash.. whatever the gently caress you want really.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sorry to interrupt food chat, but I've just been thinking. Do the DUP want an election? Surely they don't, because if BoJo can get a majority without them can't he then afford to move a little bit more on the backstop?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ThanosWasRight posted:

Wendy's, Hardee's, Dairy Queen, Tim Hortons, Sonic, Arby's, Popeyes, Chik-Fil-A, Carl's Jr, A&W, Whataburger, to name a few more

Wait, are all of these in the UK/Europe? I recall talk of Hortons showing up but I thought the rest were NA only?

I had Popeye's a couple of times in New York, seemed okay, maybe too hyped? I want to know what's supposed to be so great about that chicken sandwich though.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

There are several Venezuelan and Colombian arepa food trucks and restaurants in London and I've yet to have anything bad from any of them.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Bardeh posted:

Sorry to interrupt food chat, but I've just been thinking. Do the DUP want an election? Surely they don't, because if BoJo can get a majority without them can't he then afford to move a little bit more on the backstop?

They voted in favour when it was last tabled so they are willing to follow BoJos lead on this

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

kustomkarkommando posted:

They voted in favour when it was last tabled so they are willing to follow BoJos lead on this

I was going to say that was dumb of them because they only matter if the tories are about 1-10 short of a majority, but then I remembered -43 :laffo:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

There's a Chiquitos near me, I've never been but it claims to be Mexican food.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Vlex posted:

There are several Venezuelan and Colombian arepa food trucks and restaurants in London and I've yet to have anything bad from any of them.

there is a fantastic (though tiny) Venezuelan restaurant on the Triangle in Crystal Palace if you're ever in the area

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

AceClown posted:

There's a Chiquitos near me, I've never been but it claims to be Mexican food.

It is not, I am afraid. It pretends to be, but it is a mockery.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/oil-gas-companies-fossil-fuels-climate-change-global-warming-shell-exxon-a9094946.html

Surprise surprise.. the only time anyone will be held to account is when we’re all dead.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

kustomkarkommando posted:

Possibly they've managed to extract a promise of another massive bung from Pfeffy if he gets back in on their kingmaking.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThanosWasRight posted:

Wendy's, Hardee's, Dairy Queen, Tim Hortons, Sonic, Arby's, Popeyes, Chik-Fil-A, Carl's Jr, A&W, Whataburger, to name a few more

Calling Tim Hortons an American brand will get you stabbed by a Mountie mate :canada:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

feedmegin posted:

Calling Tim Hortons an American brand will get you stabbed by a Mountie mate :canada:

Yeah buddy, you better, like, be careful. "Trampled by moose" is not a pleasant fate, eh.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

feedmegin posted:

No, they're American and the food sucks now. Everything got "optimized" and cheapened.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why is there not a canadian franchise called chick fil eh?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Something that I was thinking about with a colleague yesterday was what happens if Boris just goes to the queen and resigns without letting a leadership election play out.

Until now the previous PM resigns and the new one almost immediately visits the queen to be given the office. But Boris could just resign and leave the country leaderless on the 19th, so Benn's bill cannot apply as it requires the 'Prime Minister' to perform the actions, and unless the house can grant someone confidence, the bill would be unenforceable.

Comedy option, without apointing a PM Liz is her own prime minister, she can do it herself

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Since colonel sanders is trending it's a good excuse to recommend the sanders episode of The Dollop, it's so good and his life was wild.

Also on the subject of Mexican food, the only authentic Mexican food I've had has been in Mexico itself where I lived for a while. California is ok for it but people overrate it hard. Texas has some awesome Tex mex versions, but the closest to an authentic Mexican burrito I've had was actually in Bristol from a food truck.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
RIP the week. Politics goes back to normal now. The long haul to 2022.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My old hometown of Harrow has the first UK Dunkin Donuts. It closed after 2 years. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The_Doctor posted:

My old hometown of Harrow has the first UK Dunkin Donuts. It closed after 2 years. :(

In Belfast, first DD sold out within 5 hours.
There were queues along the block.

Two weeks later they stationed guards at the door as everyone was stealing the DD ceramic mugs.